• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Some playable characters to be cut forever in future Super Smash Bros. video games because of their lost popularity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What's up with you guys? I'm just wanting to know which playable characters you think will be cut and then no longer making their comeback in future Super Smash Bros. video games because of not or no longer being popular video game characters?

I don't think so. The closest thing that I can think being cut are the guest characters because they are expensive to keep (in fact, they implied they almost cut Cloud in Ultimate).

I mean Sakurai did have to negotiate to get third party characters in again (obviously, of course), so yeah it's possible that they could be cut in a future Smash game, though it's also possible some will still stay (though I'm not holding my breath much for SE in regards to FFVII content).

But if we're talking about cutting characters for being considered unpopular specifically, then I guess that's also possible. Many Smash fans already want most of the FE and Pokémon characters cut anyway, and especially in FE's case Sakurai himself even acknowledged that there is too many sword fighters from it (though I blame Nintendo on wanting to mostly use main lords it seems, instead of using other popular FE characters that at least have different weapons or are mounted, which also includes other lords anyway). So I can already see Corrin, Chrom, Lucina, *Robin, and *Byleth being cut and keeping Marth, Roy, and Ike (and honestly most of Roy's popularity comes from Smash anyway, he's not really well liked with most of western FE fans sadly, Marth staying is a given and Ike is popular in both the FE and Smash fandom). For Pokémon I can see Pichu being cut again, and maybe Incineroar. Piranha Plant is a character that I wouldn't be surprised for getting cut, or for staying in tbh. Daisy, Dark Pit, and Dark Samus are also ones I see that could potentially get cut.

*In Robin's and Byleth's cases it's also possible that they could stay instead since both have other weapons they use, Byleth with the three main lord's signature relics alongside theirs, and Robin uses tomes alongside their bronze and levin swords, so they are already unique at least for FE reps. So Robin does have some Smash fans that want them to stay, though Byleth is a big mixed bag for most Smash and FE fans for their inclusion, Byleth being potentially cut between the two wouldn't be too surprising for me.

Regardless I hope a future game keeps all characters again, but I'm not going to hurt about it either if the next game doesn't.

Regardless I hope a future game keeps all characters again, but I'm not going to hurt about it either if the next game doesn't.
They could do like Tekken and do a "dream match" game every X consoles (since we only get Smash once per console). In the case of Tekken, they seem to do it every three games since the first one came after Tekken 3 and the second came after Tekken 6, so I wonder how that would work out for Smash.

Personally I want Corrin and Robin to stay given they're more unique (even though I'm pretty much trash with Robin).

I don't think popularity is that big of an impact. Nobody asked for Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Isabelle (who I want to stay) and Daisy.

I can see either Young Link or Toon Link getting cut. We can have one, but there's no need for both.

I don't think popularity is that big of an impact. Nobody asked for Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Isabelle (who I want to stay) and Daisy.
I think people might have wanted to have Duck Hunt in Smash due to how cathartic it is to defeat them after playing Duck Hunt... Also, you're forgetting about Piranha Plant, who was added because nobody expected it.

Don't be surprised if Snake gets cut again, mainly because there's a claim that Sony is looking to buy the Metal Gear series from Konami.

you're forgetting about Piranha Plant, who was added because nobody expected it.

I didn't forget, its just not necessary to list every example. Nobody expected Piranha Plant because its a minion and a plant rather that just a plant creature like Ivysaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom