• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in that so

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in that some GAME ...

Since last Friday, GAME stores across the United Kingdom have been offering downloads of the Mythical Pokémon Meloetta, allowing Pokémon fans to download the Melody Pokémon onto their copies of any of the Generation V games and will be continuing to do so until April 19. Unfortunately though, reports have been coming in from fans from various parts of the country indicating that some GAME branches do not appear to have the distribution cartridges yet and more alarmingly, some stores appear to be restricting the availability of the download to customers.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in tha

My local game said it was only with preorder of x&y. So I pre ordered X&Y. Game needs to make money off these somehow, so what i'd buy it anyway.

No idea why they get vilified for trying to get some pre orders from it every time. I find it terrible that ppl happy to go in get a freebie then buy the game online from an offshore none tax paying website that doesnt run any promotions or employ anyone in the uk (hi amazon) just to save couple of quid.

Re: Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in tha

I myself got meloetta from the GAME store in the arndale centre in manchester and they didn't ask for a preorder.

The ambiguity in the poster is interesting.

The most charitable interpretation is that it's just badly phrased and this is leading some stores to tie pre-orders to the distribution.

If I were more cynical I might suggest that the ambiguity is deliberate. Customers seeing the poster simply assume that a pre-order is necessary, so they get one. Many store owners will assume that a pre-order is necessary and tell their customers this. This means that the store gets a ton of extra pre-orders while still having the get-out clause of "oh my goodness, we didn't mean that you had to pre-order to get Meloetta, what an unfortunate misunderstanding."

Good thing I'm not cynical, eh?

Makes me glad I'm in the U.S.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Gamestop started doing this as well.

Still, that's a really sleazy move on their part.

My 3DS had the sound on maximum, and there were only three or so other customers in the small GAME shop here in Leeds. I was able to download 4 Meloetta, and no one asked me for a pre-order of anything.

This came to my attention yesterday and I started spreading it around to make it known that stores are trying to pull this. In doing so, GAME's representative actually posted on my Facebook page to clarify (after someone mentioned the store tried to force them to pay for it and the pre-order). This is their post

Hey David! This shouldn't be the case - we will be getting in touch with our store base again to let them know. A deposit is not required to download Meloetta. Please show them this reply in-store if you go back this weekend - failing that we will be in touch! Everyone needs Meloetta in their team right? She has an amazing alternate forme - seriosuly! Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me on [email protected] if you need anything further.

HAPPY EASTER!

Basically it's the store manager trying to rip people off. Inform these guys and they'll sort it out. I had to force the same with Keldeo last year.

Many Gamestop stores were doing this with Keldeo, forcing a $5 deposit too

Some staff are clearly not going to get the message that its free and assume like every promotion for xbox and ps3 games that it does involve a preorder purchase. I dont know why we have to have a topic bashing the company because the saturday casual girl in your local store didnt get it.

Stuff like this is why I sometimes do the Mystery Gift while sitting on the bench outside the store. ;-)

I'm going to pre-ordering X & Y at my store soon, anyway.

My local game said it was only with preorder of x&y. So I pre ordered X&Y. Game needs to make money off these somehow, so what i'd buy it anyway.

No idea why they get vilified for trying to get some pre orders from it every time. I find it terrible that ppl happy to go in get a freebie then buy the game online from an offshore none tax paying website that doesnt run any promotions or employ anyone in the uk (hi amazon) just to save couple of quid.
Because the distributions should always be free. Even when Nintendo pays big money to hold events themselves, they have always been free. GAME should be confident that people will go to the stores, download the Pokémon, then possibly see something they like and buy it, or downloading the event at a particular branch will make the customer remember that store, which they will use in the future.

This came to my attention yesterday and I started spreading it around to make it known that stores are trying to pull this. In doing so, GAME's representative actually posted on my Facebook page to clarify (after someone mentioned the store tried to force them to pay for it and the pre-order). This is their post

Hey David! This shouldn't be the case - we will be getting in touch with our store base again to let them know. A deposit is not required to download Meloetta. Please show them this reply in-store if you go back this weekend - failing that we will be in touch! Everyone needs Meloetta in their team right? She has an amazing alternate forme - seriosuly! Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me on [email protected] if you need anything further.

HAPPY EASTER!

Basically it's the store manager trying to rip people off. Inform these guys and they'll sort it out. I had to force the same with Keldeo last year.

It's good to hear that GAME are on the case. I managed to get Meloetta with no problems this year, but for Keldeo I was made to pre-order Black 2 (although they let me download the event a day early, so at the time I thought it was a special case, they scratch my back I scratch theirs kinda thing).

Some staff are clearly not going to get the message that its free and assume like every promotion for xbox and ps3 games that it does involve a preorder purchase. I dont know why we have to have a topic bashing the company because the saturday casual girl in your local store didnt get it.
We're not "bashing the company". It's simply letting readers know that some stores have got the wrong message and are restricting downloads to pre-orders, as well as some stores not having the events in the first place and advising them to try and contact their local branch in advance.

Holy crap Serebii, you're on Bulbagarden?

Anyway, they never did that to me, thankfully. I got Keldeo in Black easily enough, which is good, because I never actually got Black 2 until January. But again, doesn't really surprise me. Gamestop tends to be a very money hungry place, I imagine GAME may be the same way.

I wasn't so fortunate with the Keldeo distribution - my local GAME variously offered a Keldeo OR a DS case with B2W2 pre-orders, neither of which I got. Here's hoping Meloetta'll be available over Wi-Fi sometime.

Last edited:

This is just like paid DLC, completely stupid! TPCi needs to do something about this! These events should be free!

Still need to get mine....

ETA: got mine, no issues with the GAME in Loughborough

Last edited:

It's been a while since I pre-ordered anything from GAME, but when I have done so in the past they don't take a deposit. If they say you need to pre-order then make the pre-order and just don't bother picking the game up.

It's been a while since I pre-ordered anything from GAME, but when I have done so in the past they don't take a deposit. If they say you need to pre-order then make the pre-order and just don't bother picking the game up.
You have to make a £5 deposit now.

What kind of a fuckery is GameStop trying to pull first they try and jip you out of your money when you trade in games and now they want to charge you for downloading a Pokémon they really need to get there shit together. First of all how stupid are the employee's that they are not informed it's FREE I mean the damn pamphlets they give out say nothing about a pre-order neither does Pokémon.com which is what really counts. Secondly if the stores are doing this just because they feel like it why isn't anyone reporting it either to Twitter or the official website itself because I'm pretty sure they can get in trouble. Luckily the GameStop's in my area aren't this way and are fully informed it's free.

What kind of a fuckery is GameStop trying to pull first they try and jip you out of your money when you trade in games and now they want to charge you for downloading a Pokémon they really need to get there shit together. First of all how stupid are the employee's that they are not informed it's FREE I mean the damn pamphlets they give out say nothing about a pre-order neither does Pokémon.com which is what really counts. Secondly if the stores are doing this just because they feel like it why isn't anyone reporting it either to Twitter or the official website itself because I'm pretty sure they can get in trouble. Luckily the GameStop's in my area aren't this way and are fully informed it's free.

GAME, not GameStop, and in the UK. We don't really have GameStop in the UK (though I have seen 1 store, in Birmingham). The issue seems to have been resolved anyhow.

Can't be bothered for a preorder...
I need to wait until my eBay listings have been bought by someone xD
They finish Saturday.

I'm sorry, what! I had to register to reply to this post.

First of all Nintendo pay everything for this. They pay for the cartridge to be created, they pay for distribution, they create the promotional assets and they pay a bit to GAME to get them onside. The only thing it costs GAME is the electricity to run the distribution DS.

I'm not sure why you'd even speak if you don't know the full truth about this. They don't NEED to make money off it, it's what is called a "promotional event". It brings people into the shop and they know full well the percentage of people who will buy something after (tiny).

When I went into my local GAME (Manchester) they said they were unsure about the event, that one person thought you had to preorder to get the Pokemon. I pulled up the email I got from Nintendo claiming that no pre-order was necessary. I called them out for it "lying to customers". They went red from embarrassment.

If they require a preorder they are scamming you. Contact Nintendo directly if this affects you, phone the GAME HQ, call them out for it on Twitter. Game are breaking the rules of the promo if they do this, and it's also possible there could be a fine attached (if it's anything like the promos I've worked on in the past).

If anyone would like to preorder X and Y might I suggest Shopto? UK based (so it will sit nice with Codface's morals :rolleyes:), free next day delivery, money isn't taken out until dispatch, dispatched 2 days before launch (always get the day before) plus a very good reward system. I hear their boss is an idiot (he spoke out once on Twitter, all hell broke loose) but I'm willing to forgive that for their service. I've never preordered from Amazon but I know their next-day delivery isn't free. I put my preorder down there as soon as I could. When the GAME guy tried to con me into preordering X or Y to get the Pokemon I laughed and explained I already had a cheaper order that would arrive a day before launch. And given how financially unstable GAME are you think I'd put any money down at their stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom