• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Somebody predicted or knew about this game last year.

DasManiac

The Charming Fool
Reaction score
I don't know how many people on here have seen this but it was discovered by users on NeoGaf. It's an IGN forum post from last year where a user named UltraMario256 said Ruby & Sapphire remakes should be called "AlphaRuby" and "OmegaSapphire". As far as anybody can tell the post is legitimate and has not been edited since the day it was posted, 01/16/13. So any thoughts on how this could have happened? Is he a wizard, a Game Freak employee, somebody who knows a Game Freak employee, or just some random guy who happened to make an incredible prediction? I know people have made some scarily accurate predictions but nobody could get that close to being correct. Not only was he right that Ruby and Sapphire remakes would happen on the 3DS but the names are eerily close.

Pretty sure almost every combination of possible names would have been guessed at some point by now... this expectation has been hanging around since the moment HeartGold and SoulSilver were announced.

By the way, I'm predicting HatDiamond and ShoePearl for 2018. Feel free to refer back here when it happens.

Lucky guess. I'm sure people have guested SoulGold and HeartSilver before. No reason he should be seen as a GF employee. Trust no one.

I remember SunGold and MoonSilver being said a lot, but don't remember anyone predicting the heart or soul.

I think words like Alpha and Omega get used a lot.
I've seen ideas for a Pokemon Alpha and a Pokemon Beta, with the 3rd verion being something like Gamma, Delta or Omega.

Loads of people predicted the names Diamond and Pearl before they were announced.

Lucky guess. They guessed them in the wrong order (they said AlphaRuby and OmegaSapphire). Alpha and Omega are just two standard opposites, like Red/Blue, Black/White, X/Y.

It would have been predicted sooner or later, anyway, with people thinking up general opposites to put in front of the original titles as remake names. Regardless of what final names we might have actually gotten, someone somewhere probably offered it as a name suggestion on some kind of forum. Hell, someone "predicted" Black, White, X and Y as titles, and a "Diamond" hack of Silver was once a thing.

I guarantee this "prediction" thing will happen again when Diamond and Pearl remake titles are revealed.

Last edited:
Lucky guessing imo. That and it wouldn't take a genius to know that the remakes would use a similar graphical engine as the games they'd just announced.

Lucky guess or not, I still think its neat. What are the chances?
If I was that kid I would be bragging all year long: "I told you so!"

Btw the comments are pretty funny, they are now asking him for other future releases lol

Although I didn't predict they would be Ruby/Sapphire remakes, I DID also predict the names....
(Random ideas)
Pokemon A,B,C.....T,U,V,W (i.e. any of the letters in the English alphabet not already used)
Pokemon Purple, Pink, Grey, (and any other unused colours)
Pokemon Alpha, Beta, Gamma (and the rest of the Greek alphabet)
Pokemon Square, Circle, Triangle, Pentagon (and the rest of the 2D shapes.)
Pokemon Cube, Sphere, Pyramid, Cylinder (and the rest of the 3D shapes)

And in fact, if you visit that thread, you'll see that I MIGHT have also predicted the names for Generation 7, 8, and 9 games. MAYBE.

Does that also make ME a GF employee? (What if I am....?)

Predicting that the remakes would happen in the 3DS doesn't take a genius. Even if there could be doubts about X&Y being released for 3D, it doesn't make much sense that Nintendo would continue releasing games for an older console for the whole Gen VI, even though they never did that with any other consoles.

The name seems more of a coincidence. As others have pointed out, the combination of Alpha and Omega is pretty predictable. Using those for remakes seems even more of a coincidence, but again, he may just have gotten lucky of all the people in the past who have tried to guess at names, by putting together two relatively popular title suggestions with Ruby and Sapphire. He even got them switched out.

Is it impossible that someone on an online forum works at GF or knows someone who does? No but it also doesn't mean that anyone who has ever gotten a guess correct is a GF worker. Also, someone who worked at GF would probably be careful about releasing details like that and I would imagine that if they were trying to leak information to promote it they'd use dedicated pokemon fanforums. Another thing, even if that person does work at GF or knows someone who does, there's plenty of jobs at GF and not all of them mean that the workers know all the details about a given game.

Is it impossible that someone on an online forum works at GF or knows someone who does? No but it also doesn't mean that anyone who has ever gotten a guess correct is a GF worker. Also, someone who worked at GF would probably be careful about releasing details like that and I would imagine that if they were trying to leak information to promote it they'd use dedicated pokemon fanforums. Another thing, even if that person does work at GF or knows someone who does, there's plenty of jobs at GF and not all of them mean that the workers know all the details about a given game.

It definitely ISN'T impossible, if you know about @MageLeif; who somehow knew a lot of stuff pre-X and Y. His friend was apparently a tester or something. (What happen to that guy anyway?)

"AlphaRuby" and "OmegaSapphire" =/= Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

It's just some guy speculating what could have been the Gen III remake titles, and it turns out that he was wrong.

If someone actually predicted the games' correct names by connecting them to the subtle hints of Alpha and Omega (the two teams' logos and the legendary pokemon's markings feature these two letters) more than a few months ago, I'd be impressed.

Yeah, I'd suspected the next games might be called A and Z going by Pokemon Trainer AZ's weird-ass name! Wrong alphabet, but right lines - wasn't obvious, but nowhere near unguessable.

This hasn't really been anything new for me. A lot of fans have been talking about wanting Gen 3 remakes for quite some time now and made assumptions that they might be made for the 3DS. Only now has it been confirmed to be a reality.

There's tons of people out there making predictions, and someone had to have made the right prediction at some point. And that person was wrong anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Maybe if the names had been right, I would've been more surprised. I'd say it was just a coincidence. or he's a wizard

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom