• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Someone wrote a book about Pokemon!

Misty

I'm the TRASH MAN! I eat GAHBAGE!
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Pikachus-Global-Adventure-Rise-Pokémon/dp/0822332876

Synopsis:
Initially developed in Japan by Nintendo as a computer game, Pokemon swept the globe in the late 1990s. Based on a narrative in which a group of children capture, train, and do battle with over a hundred imaginary creatures, Pokemon quickly diversified into an array of popular products including comic books, a TV show, movies, trading cards, stickers, toys, and clothing. Pokemon eventually became the top grossing children's product of all time. Yet the phenomenon fizzled as quickly as it had ignited. By 2002, the Pokemon craze was mostly over. Pikachu's Global Adventure describes the spectacular, complex, and unpredictable rise and fall of Pokemon in countries around the world.

In analyzing the popularity of Pokemon, this innovative volume addresses core debates about the globalization of popular culture and about children's consumption of mass-produced culture. Topics explored include the origins of Pokemon in Japanese cultural traditions of cuteness and anime, the efforts of Japanese producers and American marketers to localize it for foreign markets, and the contentious question of Pokemon's educational value and place in school. Including teachers as well as scholars from the fields of anthropology, media studies, and sociology, the contributors track the reception of Pokemon in Japan, the United States, Great Britain, France, and Israel.

Anyone ever managed to read this?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's been around a while, hasn't it? I don't remember it getting a whole lot of attention when it came out.

I don't think it's fair to call it a "fall" like it's pogs or a pet rock or something. Pokemon still makes the big bucks pleanty.. but I see if a person was studying business this would be a good read.

I hated that book. It concluded that Pokemon was over and that any kid who continued to like it would be made fun of fiercely. Basically pikachu-yellow journalism.

There was a thread about this book some time ago, but it was like, years and stuff.

Perhaps that author should do a follow up called "Pokemon: Six Years later"

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom