• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Songs that take you back in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMLewis

Reaction score
What songs "transport" you to an earlier time, or just have strong relevance to a certain time in your life?

I have quite a few. More often than not it's something that was on Top 40 radio at the time.
2012 - Starships (Nicki Minaj), Ass Back Home (Gym Class Heroes feat. Neon Hitch), Payphone (Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa)
2014 - Problem (Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea), Fancy (Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX), Shower (Becky G)
:LOL:
There are many others, but those 2 years in particular are significant.

Tre parole by Valeria Rossi for the early 2000's, my parents are from Italy and when extended family would visit they'd always bring in CD's to give us, they had an album called Ricordatevi dei fiori that had the song on it and for some reason, I became hooked on it for a while. Sometimes I'd listen to it on YouTube just for nostalgia, it's not really the best song though (even if it was a best selling hit single of the year in Italy), but it's not the worst either.

For a video game example, then Never Ending Dream by Hitomi Tachibana for TearRing Saga (the English version is great too). In fact most FE, and distant cousins of the series, songs (both vocal and non) usually bring me back to the first time I played the games.

Special mention goes to the Spyro OST's of the original trilogy that bring in heavy nostalgia, along with Crash Bandicoot, MegaTen series, Final Fantasy series, Golden Sun series, TLoZ series, Kingdom Hearts series, and some others.

Anime mentions goes to OST's of Sailor Moon, Speed Racer, Kimba, Urusei Yatsura, Creamy Mami: The Magic Angel, Prince of Tennis, Digimon, Beyblade, Tokyo Mew Mew, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Zoids, One Piece (especially the early episodes), and some others.

"No Rain" by Blind Melon takes me back to when I was 6-year old and this song played on MTV. Rediscovering the song through Guitar Hero: World Tour almost brought me to tears because I forgot everything about that song except that the video featured a bee girl.

"Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65 also brings me back, since that used to be my favorite song.

"I Want You" by Savage Garden is also pretty nostalgic for me, although I cannot recall where I heard it for the first time.

"Message in a Bottle" by The Police and "Heart-Shaped Box" by Nirvana takes me back to when I discovered Guitar Hero, the game that introduced me to rhythm games. Those two were the first ones I heard from the game.

"Rehab" by Amy Winehouse also takes me back, but for the wrong reasons. I got Rock Band 3 (a game that includes that song) the day before she died, making the whole thing sad in my opinion.

"In the Shadows" by The Rasmus is another one that I considered my favorite at one time, it helps that radio stations in my country constantly played it.

In the case of videogame soundtracks, I will have to mention Spyro's whole soundtrack (made by Steward Copeland of The Police fame), "Dire Dire Docks" from Super Mario 64, "Rainbow Road" from Mario Kart 64, and "Battle! (Vs. Pokémon Trainer)" from Pokémon Stadium.

I have quite a few. More often than not it's something that was on Top 40 radio at the time.
2012 - Starships (Nicki Minaj), Ass Back Home (Gym Class Heroes feat. Neon Hitch), Payphone (Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa)
2014 - Problem (Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea), Fancy (Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX), Shower (Becky G)

Bops. All of 'em. Back when Charli was still emerging. Good times.

Rather Be is bringing me back to the early days of Clean Bandit. I'm feeling the nostalgia!

I'm a heavily nostalgic person and have music associated with certain times of my life, and sometimes a lot at once, so get ready. Lol

The 10s:

2018:
Summer: You're As Right as Rain - The Stylistics

2017:
Late: Gabriel Faure's Requiem (I learned of the piece in Music History III at this time. And that video is just one movement, but I like it all)
Summer: Various songs from Fleet Foxes' new album of the time, Crack-Up.

2016:
Summer: Music from the Ace Attorney series (since I was playing through it at the time)

2014:
Fall: White Mountain - Genesis (alongside other early Genesis songs)
Late Summer/Fall: I'm Never Gonna Be Alone Anymore - Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose (alongside other 70s soul/R&B songs from the same artist and others)

2013:
Late Fall: The Unquiet Grave - Gryphon
Early-Mid Fall: Blue Ridge Mountains - Fleet Foxes (various music from Pokemon X/Y also take me back to the same time)

2012:
Late: Holst's The Planets (especially Venus, Saturn, and Jupiter. We played the suite in an orchestra I was a part of at the time)

The 00s (the bulk of my nostalgia)

2009:
Fall: The last half or so of the third movement of Purcell's Dido & Aeneas (another piece I learned in a music class lol)
Summer: Poem For the People - Chicago (alongside many other early Chicago songs)

2008:
Mid: I'm Not in Love - 10CC
Strange Magic - Electric Light Orchestra
Telephone Line - Electric Light Orchestra
Early: O Magnum Mysterium - Morten Lauridsen (we played it in band at the time)

2007:
December: Ave Maria - Chris Botti
Late Summer - Fall: Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin (does this one really need to be linked to? lol)
Late Spring through Summer: Various The Beatles songs
Spring: Song of Parting from Fullmetal Alchemist
Piano Concerto No. 23 - Adagio - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Early: Summer from Vivaldi's Four Seasons
General: Sarah Brightman's "Time to Say Goodbye" album

2006:
Make it With You and Baby I'm-A Want You - Bread
I Need You and Ventura Highway - America
The Best of My Love, Lyin' Eyes, Tequila Sunrise, etc. - Eagles (last I checked they were hard to find on YT, so no links)

2005:
Clarinet Concerto in A Major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (especially the second movement, although the other movements are my favorites ever since)
The whole Les Miserables musical
Could It Be I'm Falling in Love and I'll Be Around - The Spinners (I attach these to both 2005 and 2006)
Fallen - Sarah McLachlan (also associate it with 2004)

2004:
(During the fall, I switched from a modern music station to an older music station, so that split is very evident here)
Late Fall: If - Bread
Too Late to Turn Back Now - Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose
Your Song - Elton John
Every Woman in the World - Air Supply (and other songs by them, too)
And for whatever reason these two were my favorite songs that I always loved to hear on the radio... Don't judge!
I Go Crazy - Paul Davis
How Deep is Your Love - Beegees
Early Fall: She Will Be Loved - Maroon 5
Are You Happy Now - Michelle Branch
Broken - Seether/Amy Lee
In general: Here Without You - 3 Doors Down (won't link because I don't listen to the band anymore for various reasons. It's a shame because this was a good song and I loved it)

2003:
White Flag - Dido
Ordinary Boy and Pretty Baby - Vanessa Carlton
Goodbye to You - Michelle Branch

2002:
The Game of Love - Santana/Michelle Branch
It's Been Awhile and So Far Away - Staind (IIRC they have curse words and I don't know if that's allowed, so no links)
Hemorrhage (In My Hands) - Fuel
Plus many other pop/rock songs from that time.
Also songs from Animal Crossing, like 5PM and 8AM.

2000:
Smooth - Santana (I remember really liking this song around when Pokemon G/S were released)

The 90s

Mid 90s: Don't Speak - No Doubt (the album this was on was the first CD I ever got lol)
Unbreak my Heart - Toni Braxton (my self-proclaimed favorite song as a young kid!)

Earlier: Drive - The Cars (Don't really know when, but this song brings me back sensations of very early childhood)

"Kids in America", more specifically the version used for "Digimon: The Movie".

I'm probably too young to be nostalgic. :p
Prepare to feel old!

2000s - mid 2010s
  • I can see clearly now (Antz)
  • Shoulder to Shoulder (Winnie the Pooh Heffalump movie)
  • Little Mr. Roo (same movie as above)
  • Aankhon Mein Teri Ajab Si (Om Shanti Om)
  • Soul Sister - Train
  • Starships - Nicki Minaj
  • Fancy - Iggy Azalea/Charlie XCX
  • Hotline Bling - Drake
As you can see, most of these are from children's films, or whatever was popular at the time. I've left out quite a few to keep this brief, and also because the majority of my memories are tied to things other than music, such as book series, video games, and so on.

I can see clearly now
Alright, technically not the 2000s, but I watched this when I was very little. I supposedly loved this song, although I didn't know it existed until my parents told me about my fixation with it as a tiny child.

Shoulder to Shoulder/Little Mr. Roo
From the Heffalump Movie, a film I watched when I was slightly older. Out of the two, I liked Shoulder to Shoulder more. Thinking about it, my liking of the "mysterious and potentially dangerous forest" vibe was probably kindled by this film.

Aankhon Mein Teri Ajab Si
A Hindi song from the hit film "Om Shanti Om". In fact, the entire soundtrack of that film would be nostalgic to me, but this is my favourite.

Hey Soul Sister
The true embodiment of the late-2000s emo/hipster teen I aspired to be when I was younger. This was just another song played at my school, but for some reason I still remember this one.

Starships
This reminds me of my last year in primary school and the overall hopefulness I felt back then. I heard it during a party on a school residential trip in France. I had just discovered Pokemon and found myself a real friendship group, while my academics were as strong as ever.

Fancy/Hotline Bling
I remember these because I didn't like either of them, but they were extremely popular back in 2014/15, when I was in middle school.

I feel this way about tons of songs, but the only one specifically coming to mind right now is "All Around The World" by ATC because I heard it in a Starbucks the other day and I couldn't believe the intensity of the nostalgia that hit me lol. It doesn't even make me think of a specific year or moment, it just generally has a very nostalgic sound to me.

Buddies - Henry Jackman
Childhood Memories - Henry Jackman
Carry On - Kygo & Rita Ora

For me it's gotta be "Come Out And Play" by The Offspring.

This was to my knowledge the first song I remember listening to on the radio. I'm plenty sure I had heard other songs but this is the oldest I remember. It was a song that would get me into listening to the band over all, and set my tone for what type of music I'd be into overall as I got older. Everytime I hear it it reminds me of little me sitting around listening to this song anytime I'd had a chance to use the CD player we had.

This may be cheating but really I get the strongest nostalgic feeling from “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” by Randy Newman. I watched Toy Story a trillion times as a kid, it was my favorite back then and it’s still up there today, and when I hear that song I instantly become five years old again. Now I want some Fruit by the Foot.

Another strong contender is “Cha-Cha Slide” by DJ Casper, although I thought it was called “The Casper Slide” until I looked it up just now. It’s like this dumb song just materialized out of thin air and became the anthem of my elementary school functions. EV-REE-BAW-DEE-CLAP-YOUR-HANDS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom