• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sony, Warner Bros., Legendary Pictures battle for Pokémon movie rights: The Hollywood...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope that they won't make complete fools of themselves.

Sigh... I do sincerely hope that this is all just one big false rumor and that Nintendo isn't seriously considering letting Hollywood create a live-action Pokémon movie, but the fact that they haven't denied this into oblivion yet has me worried. The last thing we need is a Pokémon movie with poor directing, questionable production work, and a mediocre-at-best story and screenplay, and I have very little faith that a big-budget, executive-driven studio spectacle would deliver much more than that.

That said, if this bidding war actually is happening, and something substantial actually does come out of it, then anything could happen. For instance, it doesn't necessarily have to be based on the anime. For all we know, they could decide to do an adaptation of one of the games (Red and Blue?) or even the manga (not at all likely... but again, who knows?) Or if they do go the anime route, they could decide to remake one of the existing movies (Mewtwo Strikes Back, maybe? I can only imagine how that could turn out, for better or worse...) instead of writing an original story. And of course there is the chance that the producers of a live-action Pokémon movie actually take things seriously and get people on the project who know what they're doing (and preferably have some actual knowledge about the franchise). Not that any of this means that it will be a good movie - only good writing, directing, and acting can do that - but they are some things to think about.

Pokémon shouldn't even get a Live action, especially if it's made by western movie makers. If it does, live it to the Japanese movie makers, I'm looking at you Toei.

^ Agreed. Only the Japanese know their own productions. Let the Japanese movie makers in instead of the Western ones.

......But still, even it is live-action movie Made in Japan, I still doubt will it be good. For one thing about Japanese live-action movie adapted from anime/manga/game/light novel, they are too faithful in keeping the non-human characters unedited. So for the Pokemon characters, I'm sure it will remain SD just like it was, or at the best, make them look like the Pokken pokemons.
Not that it will be an utter failure which I fear the most for Western film makers especially regarding on character design issues of non-human and non-humanoid creatures, but still I don't think keeping Pokemon animeish-SD is appropriate for live-action movie. See the Koro-sensei in Annsatsu Kyoushitsu live-action movie to understand what I mean. But at least, they've got the overall atmosphere and tone right, so story-wise it is not that bad, at least Japanese know what is the "best" for adapting their works than most Western film makers.

^ Agreed. Only the Japanese know their own productions. Let the Japanese movie makers in instead of the Western ones.

......But still, even it is live-action movie Made in Japan, I still doubt will it be good. For one thing about Japanese live-action movie adapted from anime/manga/game/light novel, they are too faithful in keeping the non-human characters unedited. So for the Pokemon characters, I'm sure it will remain SD just like it was, or at the best, make them look like the Pokken pokemons.
Now you've got me wondering if it's possible that this could end up as a live-action 2D-animated hybrid a la Who Framed Rodger Rabbit.

I'd rather The Pokemon Company contract a corporation like Studio Ghibli to create a good animated film before they try live action considering how their current movies have been going.
Yeah, I'd rather see that than a live-action Pokemon film, whether it's Japanese or Western.

To be quite honest, I don't know how Pokemon would translate as a live-action film. The appearance of a good number of Pokemon themselves is pretty cartoon-y; I just don't see that making a good leap into a realistic looking film.

However, if Legendary Pictures gets the rights then I want them to reboot Pacific Rim with nothing but Golurk as the Jaegers and various Dragon types as the kaiju. But that's just my (half-crazed) opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom