• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sounding Board 2.0 - Post & Discuss Your RP Ideas!

The thing is stat based RPs are on the decline as more people are leaning towards story-based RP.

Sapphire, we went through an RP like that before... do Enzap and I need to remind you of how it ended? :p *shot*

I did try doing a journey RP but in the end, it was hard keeping everyone motivated and we didn't even make it to the first gym.

"High-literate" doesn't really mesh well here, seeing as the culture is much faster paced. I'm all for writing, but I myself love to stick with RPs that can deal with me posting a few sentences to a paragraph. As a PRP, though, I feel like it would be great.

As for a Journey RP, I think it would work best with two (not one) dedicated GMs. If Gym Leaders are involved, this is all the more necessary. The flow of time would have to be carefully monitored, a discussion thread would be necessary, and the region you're in would have to be either known or well-documented in the case of an original one.

And, again, since RPs are more fast-paced and the story is more likely to get fleshed out over time, how you can achieve that would differ. It'd still be a lot of work.

I'm not suggesting on implementing this but in terms of journey rps, I feel that they are better when the whole world is explained beforehand.

When I was much younger wiki forum websites were a thing and it made it easy to make pages of locations and characters and add pictures if desired. Users would start threads on pages and others would join in etc and threads could vary in length from three pages to whatever length. It also made it easier to keep track of things with pages. That said the advantage of forum thread RPs is that everything is in one place essentially.

(Thinking aloud)

I'm not suggesting on implementing this but in terms of journey rps, I feel that they are better when the whole world is explained beforehand.

While I agree, most play-by-post RPs thrive when everyone is capable of adding to the world. This is a naturally fast-paced environment; unlike a video game, you don't always have access to very clear information.

I'd say this - if GMs want to minimize as much work they need to do as possible when it comes to the world, the entire RP would need to be organized in such a way that the most important places are explained first. All of the cities that contain gyms, any cities that are pivotal to the region (a capital, the League, etc.), and different types of places that exist. Nothing more. Let the players make their own side towns and such.

It'd also help if all your gyms are organized based on how strong the gym leaders are: like, anyone can go to a certain gym leader, but you should be warned beforehand what gyms are generally not a good idea to tackle at certain points. Maybe some sort of basic little 1-3 ranking system, where some are 1, the bulk of them are 2, but only one of them is rank 3 (the strongest gym known in the region).

I agree that a journey fic works better when you allow your players to do and move as you want, it gives them a lot more freedom for one and also helps in keeping interest of the RP since they can become more attached to it as a whole.

I myself don't have anything against High Literate but I've always found it troublesome to find so many words and do something in three paragraphst hat I could do in one xD I'm not much for redundancy. That and I think at that point it ends up becoming more about characters delving into their own thoughts than interacting, plus you can still have character developtment even without long paragraphs of thoughts and actions.

Granted that doesn't mean it's bad either, because it's not plus everyone RPs at their own pace after all.

High-literate RPs are best done in places where the entire site is dedicated to one singular RP setting since you can be more lenient on replying speed. One-liners and other shorter posts usually work best here since things can move rather quickly.

And I definitely agree with that second paragraph. I don't need to know, every post, about your character's complete introspection on a specific issue. Just interact with me.

I'm thinking about starting an action-adventure roleplay. I've roleplayed in many other places and need a change from where I used to do it (or the people there, take your pick).

The scenario is as follows - Earth has been devastated by meteor showers - tidal waves, widespread destruction, worldwide EMPs, therefore no technology, etc. Typical post-apocalyptic environment - travelling, surviving, encountering others and befriending/fighting them and so forth.

However, I like a bit of romance (obviously, nothing detailed, it all stops at the bedroom door) because it enhances realism, imo. As I'm a lesbian, my character would be the same, but I have no problem with other characters being in heterosexual relationships. Therefore, I assume it would need to be rated in some way, like the stories are. Also, what do you think the potential take-up might be?

That's an entirely possible RP to put here. It'd be Non-Pokemon, which I enjoy.

However, I like a bit of romance (obviously, nothing detailed, it all stops at the bedroom door) because it enhances realism, imo. As I'm a lesbian, my character would be the same, but I have no problem with other characters being in heterosexual relationships.

This is extremely inconsequential here; not in the sense that it isn't present, but in the sense that no one actually cares about sexual orientation here. It's incredibly open-minded.

Honestly, I like all of the submitted ideas, but considering I don't know many fandoms besides anime-type stuff, What about a normal, Pokemon based roleplay? I don't care if it's action, romance, one on one, or two or more, but something like that to me sounds pretty cool.

Honestly, I like all of the submitted ideas, but considering I don't know many fandoms besides anime-type stuff, What about a normal, Pokemon based roleplay? I don't care if it's action, romance, one on one, or two or more, but something like that to me sounds pretty cool.

Honestly, I've yet to see a Slice of Life Pokemon RP on this thread; I'd like to see one that doesn't revolve around a journey or academy, but just enjoying everyday life with their Pokemon with some battles and contests here and there.

Honestly, I've yet to see a Slice of Life Pokemon RP on this thread; I'd like to see one that doesn't revolve around a journey or academy, but just enjoying everyday life with their Pokemon with some battles and contests here and there.
I'd love that too. Although it isn't Pokémon related, I'm doing a Slice of Life RP on another site and it's really fun.

Honestly, that seems like a good idea since I haven't really seen one done here before. However, the premises would need to be worked out since it wouldn't exactly be a journey RP. What age would the user get their Pokemon? Would they have to go to school before getting pokemon? Would they travel like in journey rps or just stay in town? Things like that to think about but I definitely like it. :)

Hey everyone, this is also just a thing I want to say: don't be afraid to ask the GMs of ongoing RPs to join in. It's totally fine to do that.

Chances are, they'll say yes. Everyone wants more players, after all.

I'm up for that, but we'd also have to work it out, and I like the points Silent Winter made. All the facts, rules, storyboard, characters, pokemon- The entire thing, actually. So far I think three of us are interested, including me. Any ideas or preferences?

So due to news of Etrian Odyssey V releasing in Japan sometime this August, I've felt like doing something EO-related. However, since I don't currently have the means to do any Let's Plays of any of the games, I've decided I want to do an Etrian Odyssey RP. I don't have any concrete ideas in my head, though, so I'd need a co-mod to discuss ideas with and help manage things for this RP to work.

I've personally been enjoying Kamen_Fanatic's Pokémon Mystery Dungeon RP a lot, due to my fondness for all things PMD outside of Gates. Being able to actually roleplay in that very same setting and environment for the first time has been nothing less than brilliant.

I'm up for that, but we'd also have to work it out, and I like the points Silent Winter made. All the facts, rules, storyboard, characters, pokemon- The entire thing, actually. So far I think three of us are interested, including me. Any ideas or preferences?
So I just sortof made a quick little visit to these boards for the first time in quite a while. I absolutely love me some slice of life with Pokemon, though I will still be really busy with school for another month :(

Back
Top Bottom