• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sounding Board 2.0 - Post & Discuss Your RP Ideas!

A mix of all three, actually. Nobody overstepped their boundaries with the moves used by their Pokemon, largely understood the limitations their Pokemon faced, and respected type effectiveness.

There wasn't any math involved, and things went more or less anime-style with people inventing new ways to use their moves. Again, it's expected that you don't go overboard with it.

However, the collaboration usually came in where the players would discuss what's happening and what was to happen in the future; more often than not, the participants of the battle knew who would win in the end.

It sounds complex, but it's actually pretty intrinsic and simple.

I think I get it, but I just want to clarify something here. By collaboration, I didn't mean just "two players working together to advance the story or plan for the future". A collaboration or a collab post is a roleplaying term that is used in several of my other roleplaying sites (hence why I used it here) that is used when two players have an interaction that spans quite a large number of posts and they don't want other people in the thread to get left out.

What they do instead, is use a system like DMs or some sort of shared document and write there until their interaction is completed, and then one of the two posts that whole interaction as one post in the thread, allowing the entire interaction to be there and yet not leave other people several pages behind. For something like Pokemon battles, I figured this kind of system would be perfect, where the two battling would write the battle between the two of them, and then post the battle in it's entirety for the other members of the thread to read and respond to.

But back to the roleplay idea: it sounds like you approve?

Hmmm, well that approach isn't how it's usually done but there have been cases, such as tournament RPs and other types of things, but that would be something that you'd have to talk to you're RPerd with at the time. RPs here usually either rely on simply posting their replies in the thread as they go rather than taking it anywhere else (usually).

If you want to use a different approach then that's entirely up to you and you are encouraged to as long as it makes things fun for everyone, plus again it's not like it hasn't been seen before.

The idea itself sound interesting, plus PvP RPs give people a chance to play together and against one another and can be mined for a lot of possibilities.

Hmmm, well that approach isn't how it's usually done but there have been cases, such as tournament RPs and other types of things, but that would be something that you'd have to talk to you're RPerd with at the time. RPs here usually either rely on simply posting their replies in the thread as they go rather than taking it anywhere else (usually).
Like I said, the actual battle will still be posted for the other members to look at, it's not like they are just handed the results with no context. It's just that this method avoids cluttering up the thread so that other people don't have to wade through 4 pages of posts in order to get back to the previous post addressed to them. Having it streamlined in one post makes it easier on the other members to continue where they had left off, while still having the option of reading through a long and detailed battle report. But I can understand if people don't like this method, I've not always used it myself. It also depends on how many people are involved - if there are only 3 people in the thread, then obviously this method isn't necessary. But again, to each their own.

Again, at the end of the day it depends on the GM, we don't have a set battling method, like you're not going to get infracted because your battles don't happen in the same way that everyone else does it. If you want to do it then that's fine and I think it's an interesting way of doing it since RPs can sometimes get crowded with replies. That being said, most of our RPs don't tend to move that fast so you might not have much of a reason to use it at first.

I'm contemplating creating an RP here, as I've had a hankering for a Pokemon one lately. However, I'm not interested in trainer RPs. I'm interested in a Pokemon transformation type of thing, like PMD, kinda. It is an RP I've attempted to create several times, called Sanctic, based on a dream I had long ago.

The basic premise is that there is a region in which Pokemon and Pokemon training are illegal, considered to be unholy and disgusting beasts. Anyone who breaks one of the sacred laws of the regions is punished in a special way, however. They basically transform you into a Pokemon and place you in an underground prison facility, in which they force you to do work to sustain the region. All of this is hush-hush and kept secret from the public, of course. Our group will escape from the facility and try to find a way to turn back to normal, as well as expose the injustices.

The basic premise is that there is a region in which Pokemon and Pokemon training are illegal, considered to be unholy and disgusting beasts. Anyone who breaks one of the sacred laws of the regions is punished in a special way, however. They basically transform you into a Pokemon and place you in an underground prison facility, in which they force you to do work to sustain the region. All of this is hush-hush and kept secret from the public, of course. Our group will escape from the facility and try to find a way to turn back to normal, as well as expose the injustices.
Hmm...What would happen to the Pokemon themselves if their Trainer gets imprisoned?

Still kinda confused on that, but ok.
There are two parts of this region -

The above ground, normal part. In this part, people live alone, without Pokemon or Pokemon training. They manage their own affairs. Any Pokemon or trainers are immediately detained on sight. It is very very strict.

The underground. They take criminals who break certain laws down here and turn them into Pokemon for labor to sustain the region. It is hypocritical. The above ground people are unaware of this. All of the Pokemon are down here, all of them are transformed humans. There are some who can escape into the above ground though, like our group will be doing in the roleplay.

I hope that clarifies things.

There are two parts of this region -

The above ground, normal part. In this part, people live alone, without Pokemon or Pokemon training. They manage their own affairs. Any Pokemon or trainers are immediately detained on sight. It is very very strict.

The underground. They take criminals who break certain laws down here and turn them into Pokemon for labor to sustain the region. It is hypocritical. The above ground people are unaware of this. All of the Pokemon are down here, all of them are transformed humans. There are some who can escape into the above ground though, like our group will be doing in the roleplay.

I hope that clarifies things.
Somewhat, but my earlier question is what happens to the Pokemon that get detained.

It seems very interesting in a dystopic, fight the regime kind of way. Would we have to play characters who have been forced into the shape of Pokemon, or would we be able to play someone on the outside, perhaps, who is trying not to get caught with Pokemon?

Also, would we have to change from Pokemon to human again? What if our characters prefers being a Pokemon(aside from the abuse)?

It seems very interesting in a dystopic, fight the regime kind of way. Would we have to play characters who have been forced into the shape of Pokemon, or would we be able to play someone on the outside, perhaps, who is trying not to get caught with Pokemon?

Also, would we have to change from Pokemon to human again? What if our characters prefers being a Pokemon(aside from the abuse)?
You have to play a Pokemon as a main character, but you can have some human NPCs if you'd like who are related to your character in some way. (Like an enemy or a friend or a sibling or something.)

EDITED:
Whoops, I misread that. Sorry. Uh, basically, they don't have to become a human again. The other goal is just taking down the system. Just some people would want to be human along the way as well.

What Pokemon would we be limited to playing, or can we be anything within reason? Are there no wild Pokemon that didn't start out as people first? What do the public know about Pokemon?

What Pokemon would we be limited to playing, or can we be anything within reason? Are there no wild Pokemon that didn't start out as people first? What do the public know about Pokemon?
You can basically be anything that isn't a legendary Pokemon. Any stage.

And no, there aren't any naturally wild Pokemon. Any Pokemon that are outside of the facilities are usually just pockets of former humans and their descendants. Some of them live like tribal societies, usually the ones who are descendants. Whereas more freshly escaped ones have their own mini-resistance groups that sadly can't really go anywhere.

The public thinks that Pokemon are evil beasts that should be avoided and are extremely afraid or hostile towards them. They aren't really too educated on them otherwise. They don't know much about the individual species, moves, types, etc. To them, they're just all the same. Getting information on Pokemon is really difficult and access is super locked off, so you'd have to be some kind of illegal resistance group to know even the basics.

Anyway, @Arylett Charnoa, what happens to the Pokemon of a Trainer who is caught having them? As in, who visits the region, unaware of that law. (Then again, there's probably no way they wouldn't know)
The region is closed off to most outsiders. You usually have to be some official or have special permission to get in.

Back
Top Bottom