• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sounding Board 2.0 - Post & Discuss Your RP Ideas!

ok.i have multiple settings where the leaving and joining would make sense. yeah, most of them aren't fantasy, but they are there. for example, that is how i am planning on kind of running my one using the Marvel multiverse rules. super hero teams constantly invite new members and have old leave. and usually, all the info new players would need to know could be summarized as a sentence

ok.i have multiple settings where the leaving and joining would make sense. yeah, most of them aren't fantasy, but they are there. for example, that is how i am planning on kind of running my one using the Marvel multiverse rules. super hero teams constantly invite new members and have old leave. and usually, all the info new players would need to know could be summarized as a sentence
That could work. I suppose I didn't consider that the person hosting the Roleplay could summarize what had happened up to that point for any newcomers.

For me, it’s that I am very just a very picky roleplayer. (I am currently in multiple RPs with friends on discord, but we did some EXTENSIVE planning). I actually have had making an RP for the forums on the backlog I believe I posted about here— it’d be done by now if I wasn’t so meticulous about the art I’m making for it (oops).

To make a long thought very short though— Rping on forums is very different! Not just in format but in presentation, how the stories move, etc.

While I haven’t dipped my toes back into it as planned yet (got shy about my writing again), I don’t want forum roleplay to go away any time soon… So I think this is a healthy discussion to have.

For me, it’s that I am very just a very picky roleplayer. (I am currently in multiple RPs with friends on discord, but we did some EXTENSIVE planning). I actually have had making an RP for the forums on the backlog I believe I posted about here— it’d be done by now if I wasn’t so meticulous about the art I’m making for it (oops).

To make a long thought very short though— Rping on forums is very different! Not just in format but in presentation, how the stories move, etc.

While I haven’t dipped my toes back into it as planned yet (got shy about my writing again), I don’t want forum roleplay to go away any time soon… So I think this is a healthy discussion to have.
Perhaps it would be better if instead of glob-trotting adventure, the roleplay takes place in one small area with one objective. Would make things easier to manage and people won't get bored as fast.

Edit: I just looked. The last post of the two roleplays I joined:
One ended on October 9, 2023
The other ended on March 15, 2022

Neither one got far at all.

Perhaps it would be better if instead of glob-trotting adventure, the roleplay takes place in one small area with one objective. Would make things easier to manage and people won't get bored as fast.

Edit: I just looked. The last post of the two roleplays I joined:
One ended on October 9, 2023
The other ended on March 15, 2022

Neither one got far at all.
This is a tricky one, because I believe I’m personally “built different” when it comes to roleplay, so my perspective may not be the best. Take my thoughts with grains of salt.

I’m not exactly sure that ‘scope of plot’ is the issue as much as it is just initially grabbing people in the first place. It could also be people not enjoying what writing styles are at play, or how the plot is unfolding.

I’m personally a huuuge fan of character drama and ‘slow burn’ for things transpiring, when there could be others who are much more into fast action and world building etc etc so on. I hate to say creating the perfect RP is throwing spaghetti at a wall and see what sticks— but in a way it kind of is. I think the best thing to do to remedy what you can is to discuss your ideas in this very thread and ask if there’s interest in that sort of plot, or rather, what would make people interested?

My added (personal) conundrum is I rarely RP my OCs, I usually RP canon characters from various medias, something I don’t see often in forum RP.

This is a tricky one, because I believe I’m personally “built different” when it comes to roleplay, so my perspective may not be the best. Take my thoughts with grains of salt.

I’m not exactly sure that ‘scope of plot’ is the issue as much as it is just initially grabbing people in the first place. It could also be people not enjoying what writing styles are at play, or how the plot is unfolding.

I’m personally a huuuge fan of character drama and ‘slow burn’ for things transpiring, when there could be others who are much more into fast action and world building etc etc so on. I hate to say creating the perfect RP is throwing spaghetti at a wall and see what sticks— but in a way it kind of is. I think the best thing to do to remedy what you can is to discuss your ideas in this very thread and ask if there’s interest in that sort of plot, or rather, what would make people interested?

My added (personal) conundrum is I rarely RP my OCs, I usually RP canon characters from various medias, something I don’t see often in forum RP.
That is something I noticed myself. Some people worldbuild more than others, some focus on the action more than others, and so.

Backing up the Subway Master in the room here 100% -- you're more than welcome to discuss whatever ideas you have here, yeah!

I personally think that this subforum isn't as well-frequented as any of us would really like, which probably doesn't help in terms of getting people to play (I will need to fix this in the future, but please don't call it dead by any means!), but catering to the likes and dislikes of any possible participants is def a tricky thing, just because some people may not like certain settings, character dynamics, RPing styles, and so on. Basically, I guess in the end, gathering together people who you know are a bit similar in terms of taste would also help lots too in terms of not having an RP die right out of the gate? So just trying to garner interest however you can is probably how you'd find success, maybe. (throw spaghetti on the walls!!)

For me, I personally like knowing the people I RP with well before doing anything, just so I can be aware of how things will generally go and what to expect from any given person -- having that element of comfortability is really important to me personally, which is another reason why I'd suggest you find people you know well so as to find commonalities between you all? I think doing that would be easier if the ice is 'already broken', so to speak, but that's just me -- you might be different, but it's definetly something to keep in mind.

Backing up the Subway Master in the room here 100% -- you're more than welcome to discuss whatever ideas you have here, yeah!

I personally think that this subforum isn't as well-frequented as any of us would really like, which probably doesn't help in terms of getting people to play (I will need to fix this in the future, but please don't call it dead by any means!), but catering to the likes and dislikes of any possible participants is def a tricky thing, just because some people may not like certain settings, character dynamics, RPing styles, and so on. Basically, I guess in the end, gathering together people who you know are a bit similar in terms of taste would also help lots too in terms of not having an RP die right out of the gate? So just trying to garner interest however you can is probably how you'd find success, maybe. (throw spaghetti on the walls!!)

For me, I personally like knowing the people I RP with well before doing anything, just so I can be aware of how things will generally go and what to expect from any given person -- having that element of comfortability is really important to me personally, which is another reason why I'd suggest you find people you know well so as to find commonalities between you all? I think doing that would be easier if the ice is 'already broken', so to speak, but that's just me -- you might be different, but it's definetly something to keep in mind.
The only reason I am saying that roleplay has died is because there are no active roleplays here at the moment. The most recent roleplay to be posted in was back in November of last year. Granted, it's only been like 5 or 6 months. Though I will freely admit that just calling it dead is a bit rude. I apologize.

The only reason I am saying that roleplay has died is because there are no active roleplays here at the moment. The most recent roleplay to be posted in was back in November of last year. Granted, it's only been like 5 or 6 months. Though I will freely admit that just calling it dead is a bit rude. I apologize.
no worries LOL, you do have a bit of a point and it's something that def needs to be worked on -- I'll need to add figuring out what to do there onto my ideas list!

Now that I do have some people here, though... I do think that having something of an RP-centric Workshop event would be a bit fun? (Not necessarily as in 'everyone participates in one RP', but maybe multiple personal RPs of a specific theme?) If there's any interest there, I think that might be something worth exploring, maybe, but we'll see...

I had an idea for a new Digimon RP (since my previous one kinda died), loosely based around the Pendulum V-Pets (specifically with the Digimon Families/Fields used in each individual type). There will be six main characters, and each one has a Digimon whose line represents each Digimon Family/Field.

Nature Spirits (Generic monsters and beasts)
Deep Savers (Aquatic or ice-related Digimon)
Nightmare Soldiers (Darkness or spirit based Digimon, or Digimon based on traditional "Halloween" monsters like vampires, werewolves, or Japanese youkai and demons)
Wind Guardians (Flying, air, or plant based Digimon)
Metal Empire (Machine, cyborg, or other mechanical Digimon)
Virus Busters (Heroic or angelic Digimon, often includes main characters from the anime or manga)
^Thanks Wikimon for supplying these descriptions
The human characters could also be from parts of the Real World associated with the places these Digimon prefer to call their home.
Nature Spirits character could be from somewhere with lots of grasslands and canyons, (ie, Australia, Kenya, Mexico)
Deep Savers character could be from somewhere with lots of water, possibly including ice ( ie, Hawaii, Scandinavia, Alaska)
Nightmare Soldiers character could be from a place known for being associated with ghosts of whatnot (ie, Southern USA, certain parts of China)
Wind Guardians character could be from a place with possibly tropical weather and lots of nature (ie, Brazil, West Africa)
Metal Empire character could be from a very large metropolitan area (ie, New York City, Paris, Tokyo, Los Angeles)
Virus Busters character could be from anywhere associated with a legendary hero (ie, Greece, England)
I recently had another idea similar to this where the humans are all from different points in human history.

Back
Top Bottom