• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Space World 1997 demo for Pokemon Gold leaked

winz may also be a proto-Misdreavus, its placement in the dex is similar.

I think that Twinz was supposed to be Girafarig's pre-evolution now that its dex entry's is right before Girafarig's and given the similar concepts.

I think that Twinz was supposed to be Girafarig's pre-evolution now that its dex entry's is right before Girafarig's and given the similar concepts.
Also Twins evolves into Girafarig at level 29, according to the leakers.

Other observations

-Falkner looked even more like a samurai in his original design.
-You were going to battle Kurt at some point. Possibly before or after the Slowpoke Well event.
-Bugsy looks more like a showman and is older.
-Morty looks... generic.
-Jasmine original design looks like a mix between her and Whitney. Seeing that Whitney was already planned I wonder what was her original design.
-Silver doesn't look different. Judging by the sketch I thought he would look innocent, but I was wrong.
-There were Gym Leaders named Gama and Okera, however, they don't have a sprite.
-There were trainers based on a certain variety show named Gerugeto Shocking Center. What?
-Chuck, Pryce and Clair are missing.
-Giovanni, Bruno, Misty and Lorelei were apparently Elite Four. Lance has always been the champion.
-There was a Trainer Class known as fledgling. He was a short boy with a sweater(?) with a symbol that looks like the Soul Badge.
-Rising Stars were going to debut here.
-Male ace trainers looked completely different, while female ones look exactly the same, except they are carrying whips.
-Beauties look like something straight from the eighties.
-Poké Maniacs look less insane.
-Team Rocket Grunts had a different sprite, but not noticeable differences design-wise.
-There were male Teachers.
-There was a Trainer Class known as Trio.
-There was a Trainer Class known as Manchild.
-Super Nerds looked sorrier.
-Engineers were going to come back.
-Bikers got a new sprite. In the final version, the sprite was almost identical to the Gen I sprite.
-There was a Trainer Class known as a Sportsman, possibly a beta Triathlete from Gen III judging by the sprite.
-New classes known as Kung Fu Master, Fortune Teller, Hooligan and Soldier. No sprites.
-Re-reading the document, the Gym Leader order was Falkner, Bugsy, Whitney, Morty, Okera, Jasmine, Blue/Red (don't know which one) and Gama.

Sorry for the long post! Again!

The early starters and beasts look really bad.

For most of these I like the final versions the most. Though early Girafarig is 10x cooler than final Girafarig.

I wonder if Scizor being changed from Bug/Flying to Bug/Steel, and Magnemite and Magneton getting Steel was a result of the shark line being scrapped along the way.

It's wild how Leafeon existed with a design super close to it's final one for nearly a decade before being put into Diamond and Pearl.

that last pokemon (number 251) is more sure likely Leafeon

Very interesting. I wonder what Team Rocket's original role was and if Giovanni was involved or not.

I assume Giovanni would have gone legit, much like how Generations interpreted it, and eventually earned himself a spot in the Elite Four.

Honestly, how did we end up with a literal who like Will when we could have had that?

Honestly, how did we end up with a literal who like Will when we could have had that?

Gen II introduced Eggs and frankly enough, with this groundbreaking intel, it's a sort of Chicken or Egg plothole.

Someone should really draw these in Sugimori’s modern style. That would be really cool to see.
And in the old style, too!

EDIT: Here are the unused and changed items and with what items they got replaced (if needed):

-Town Map (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Poké Flute (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Guard Spec: Had the effect of the X Sp. Defense
-Mystic Petal: Weakens Grass-Type moves (Red Scale in GSC)
-White Feather: Weakens Flying-Type moves (Secret Potion in GSC)
-Confuse Claw: Hurts foe before battle (S.S. Ticket in GSC)
-Wisdom Orb: Raises Sp. Defense by 10 (Mystery Egg in GSC)
-Steel Shell: Raises Defense by 10 (Clear Bell in Crystal)
-Up-Grade: Raises all stats by 5 (Silver Wing in GSC)
-Strange Thread: Raises evasion of foe's attacks (Moomoo Milk in GSC)
-Big Leaf: Same effect as Miracle Seed (Quick Claw in GSC)
-Quick Needle: Possibly the same as Quick Claw (Poison Cure Berry in GSC)
-Sharp Stone: Same effect as Hard Stone (Soft Sand in GSC)
-Black Feather: Same effect as Sharp Beak (Sharp Beak in GSC)
-Sharp Fang: Same effect as Silk Scarf (Paralyze Cure Berry in GSC)
-Snake Skin: Prevents poisoning (Burnt Berry in GSC)
-Electric Pouch: Weakens Electric-Type moves (Ice Berry in GSC)
-Toxic Needle: Old name for the Poison Barb
-Strange Power: Renders all type effects ineffective (don't know what this means) (Bitter Berry in GSC)
-Life Tag: Revives a fainted Pokémon after battle (Mint Berry in GSC)
-Poison Fang: Same as Poison Barb (again) (Red Apricorn in GSC)
-Cordyceps: May be a beta Big Mushroom (Tiny Mushroom in GSC)
-Dragon Fang: Same effect as the final Dragon Fang (Big Mushroom in GSC)
-Digging Claw: Uses Dig outside of battle(?) (Blue Apricorn in GSC)
-Migraine Seed: Same effect as Twisted Spoon (Yellow Apricorn in GSC)
-Counter Cuff: Counters foe for 1/4 of damage received. (Green Apricorn in GSC)
-Talisman Tag: Old name for the Cleanse Tag
-Strange Water: Old name for the Mystic Water
-Twisted Spoon: Originally, it weakened Psychic-Type moves
-Attack Needle: Same effect as Silver Powder (White Apricorn in GSC)
-Power Bracer: Old name for the Black Belt
-Hard Stone: Weakens Rock-Type moves (Black Apricorn in GSC)
-Jiggling Balloon: Weakens Normal-Type moves (Pink Apricorn in GSC)
-Fire Mane: Weakens Fire-Type moves (Black Glasses in GSC)
-Earth: Prevents paralysis (Pink Bow in GSC)
-Stick: Had the same effect as the Silk Scarf
-Flee Feather: Switch Pokémon without using a turn (Smoke Ball in GSC)
-Ice Fang: Old name for the Never-Melt Ice
-Fossil Shard: Weakens Ground-Type moves (Magnet in GSC)
-Gross Garbage: Weakens Poison-Type moves (Miracle Berry in GSC)
-Big Pearl: Same as final version? (Pearl in GSC)
-Champion Belt: Weakens Fighting-Type moves (Big Pearl in GSC)
-Tag: Weakens Ghost-Type moves (Ever Stone in GSC)
-Spell Tag: Originally, it makes the encounter rate higher
-5 Yen Coin: Weakens Psychic-Type moves (Rage Candy Bar in GSC)
-Guard Thread: Weakens Bug-Type moves (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Stimulus Orb: Prevents sleep. Was mentioned by pre-release sites. (Teru-Sama in GSC)
-Calm Berry: Prevents confusion (Miracle Seed in GSC)
-Thick Club: Originally, it had the effect of Soft Sand
-Focus Orb: Old name for the Focus Band
-Detect Orb: Raises evasion of foe's moves (Energy Powder in GSC)
-Longue Tongue: Raises Pokémon catch rate (Energy Root in GSC)
-Lotto Ticket: Enables participation in the lottery (Heal Powder in GSC)
-Ever Stone: Same as final version (Revival Herb in GSC)
-Sharp Horn: Increases Attack by 10 (Hard Stone in GSC)
-Long Vine: Raises Pokémon catch rate (Card Key in GSC)
-Mom's Love: Heals 1 HP for each step taken (Machine Part in GSC)
-Smoke Screen: Same effect as the Smoke Ball (Egg Ticket in Crystal)
-Wet Horn: Same effect as the Mystic Water (Lost Item in GSC)
-Skateboard: Let's you move at double speed. Can be used indoors (Stardust in GSC)
-Crimson Jewel: Old name for the Star Piece
-Invisible Wall: Halves Sp. Attack damage (Basement Key in GSC)
-Sharp Scythe: Raises critical heat ratio (Pass in GSC)
-Ice Bikini (what?): Weakens Ice-Type moves (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Thunder Fang: Same effect as Magnet (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Fire Claw: Old name for the Charcoal
-Twin Horns: Increases Attack by 10 (Berry Juice in GSC)
-Spike: Same effect as the Spell Tag (Scope Lens in GSC)
-Berry: Same as the Oran Berry from Gen III onwards (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Apple: Same as the Sitrus Berry from Gen III (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Metal Coat: Originally, it halved the power of Normal-Type moves
-Pretty Tail: Prevents poisoning (Dragon Fang in GSC)
-Water Tail: Prevents burns (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Leftovers: Originally, it restored 30 HP at the end of each turn
-Ice Wing: Raises Sp. Defense by 10 (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Thunder Wing: Raises Speed by 10 (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Fire Wing: Raises Sp. Attack by 10 (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Dragon Scale originally decreased the power of Dragon-Type moves
-The Berserk Gene originally raised all stats by 10
-Heart Stone: Evolves certain Pokémon (e.g. Eevee into Espeon) (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Fire Tail: Prevents freezing (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Thunder Tail: Prevents paralysis (Teru-sama in GSC)
-Sacred Ash: Originally revived all Pokémon in the party with 1 HP.
-TM Holder: Got used as the TM Case from FRLG (Heavy Ball in GSC)
-Mail: "An special item" (Flower Mail in GSC)
-Ball Holder: Balls were not going to have their own pocket? (Level Ball in GSC)
-Item Bag: ???? (Lure Ball in GSC)
-Key Item Bag: Now I'm confused (Fast Ball in GSC)
-Poison Stone: Evolves certain Pokémon (e.g. Eevee into Umbreon) (Teru-sama)

Most of them are hold items, although I don't know how many actually work.

Last edited:
* The art style overall is less polished but cuter and rounder.
* The Honōguma line is just straight up superior to the Cyndaqul line. Beta Girafarig is much better, too. I love how the dark head actually looks evil.
* I freaking knew Baby Meowth had to have been pitched at one point. Really did not expect baby Goldeen, Paras, Doduo, Ponyta, and Grimer.
* Baby Doduo's design is in fact, genius and a damn shame we didn't get it. I would go so far as to say in concept and execution it's the best design out of all of the G2 real and G2 beta designs.
* Farfetch'd, Ditto, Bellsprout line, and Qwilfish were robbed.
* Ice-type Werewolf was freaking cut? : S
* Turban not evolving from Shellder has to be a glitch.
* We still didn't get baby Kangaskhan? What the hell?
* Lake Turtle and Tyrannitar are also weirdly missing.

Overall I like these designs slightly more than the base G2 designs, but that's not surprising, since G2 is my least favorite gen overall.

Wolfman and Warwolf are awesome. Looks like they are based on berserkers! I really hope they revisit the idea at some point.

The Weepinbell split evo looks classy as hell. Like a walking banana skin with a head.

I really like the beta Jumpluff design too, and the Politoed one isn't half bad either.

A sea lion with a heat seeking missile for a ball is amazing.

Ditto evo is 10/10 just for the constant screaming it looks to be doing.

Doduo baby is cool. Surprised we haven't had a bird's nest chick yet.

What I assume were early legendary beasts look garbage tier though.

Don't see the point of baby Ponyta. Literally the most pointless design I've ever seen, it looks exactly like Ponyta.

Some of the designs were definitely reused/adapted. Outside of some of the more obvious ones, that beta Sneasel looks like Mienfoo, one of those fish looks like Huntail, the Qwilfish evolution has Whiscash vibes.

Hold on, something's not right. Despite the fact that Pikablu is Marill's original English name, it's coded as Marill in English in 1997. How's that even possible? Either the credibility of the names are questionable or the oh so creative minds who are in charge of anglicizing the names of Pokemon creatures had first decided to name it Marill, then change it to Pikablu and then name it Marill anyway.

The demo is entirely in Japanese. All the names on that page in “English” are just romanized, or the names they were given elsewhere. It says at the top of the page.

Anyone know where the colorized versions are from? Was that done by fans or did it really give them those colors when put into GBC? I can't find colorized versions of back sprites, so I thought they might be fan-made.

I did some more digging and apparently Snubbull was originally intended to be G2's Legendary and Illex Forest was originally called Snubbull Forest. Which just makes me laugh my butt off.

En/Rai/Sui might be semi-canon, since we never found out what the Legendary Beasts were before death.

You will be missed, fire seal and Jiangshi panda.

Some of these early Pokemon designs or concepts are genuinely good. It's a shame they were cut. I can only hope they will be revisited some day in the future.

It's also a shame that we didn't end up getting that version of Johto. Nothing against the current Johto, really, but that beta map looks a lot more diverse and interesting to me. I wonder if they changed it in order to fit most of Kanto? I honestly believe I would have loved playing Gen II a lot more if we had that map. Gold was my very first Pokemon game and I enjoyed it for what it was, but even back then it seemed pretty generic to me and that's one of the reasons I loved Hoenn so much more (of course it helped that we had full colour at that point).

Anyone know where the colorized versions are from? Was that done by fans or did it really give them those colors when put into GBC? I can't find colorized versions of back sprites, so I thought they might be fan-made.

Well, those are the colors that are used when you play it on Visual Boy Advance. So maybe someone ripped them from that emulator.

EDIT: Did Red and Green have a demo, too? Because after recovering this I'm curious at what could have been.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom