• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Space World 1997 demo for Pokemon Gold leaked

Anyone know where the colorized versions are from? Was that done by fans or did it really give them those colors when put into GBC? I can't find colorized versions of back sprites, so I thought they might be fan-made.

I did some more digging and apparently Snubbull was originally intended to be G2's Legendary and Illex Forest was originally called Snubbull Forest. Which just makes me laugh my butt off.

En/Rai/Sui might be semi-canon, since we never found out what the Legendary Beasts were before death.

You will be missed, fire seal and Jiangshi panda.

Its fan-made, according to reddit. But if you download the rom and play it yourself, theyre in color in the same way Red and Green would be if you played them on a Gameboy Color

My God, I love the two alternate starter designs. Especially the Water one. It looks so pretty! (Nothing against Feraligatr, but I wish this had been the actual one. It would've made a nice contrast with Kanto's reptilian starters to have mostly mammals.) Though the middle evolution of Chikorita is... quite baffling.

And is that a black cat Pokemon I see? I've always wanted a proper black cat. (Not Litten or Umbreon.) I really wish this one had made it in.

Also, I kind of prefer the beta Legendary beasts. Raikou's beta design in particular looks absolutely unique and amazing for a Legendary.

Beta Noctowl also looks far superior, in that it looks less like an actual owl and more like a unique Pokemon.

Overall, a lot of good stuff here, and it is a shame it was cut out. I like the more simplistic designs shown here. Honestly, they would've added much more depth and character to the Johto roster, which is kind of lacking it because it only exists to bolster Kanto. Oh well. I'll probably go draw my favorites later. They absolutely deserve proper representation.

Last edited:
Its fan-made, according to reddit. But if you download the rom and play it yourself, theyre in color in the same way Red and Green would be if you played them on a Gameboy Color
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I played the demo, those are the real colors, at least according to Visual Boy Advance.

EDIT: Sorry, if I sounded rude. I must calm down, after that demo got out I have been feeling kinda hyperactive.

EDIT 2: Here's a pic:
bWVkaWFJZDoxMzI5NzIzODU=

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I played the demo, those are the real colors, at least according to Visual Boy Advance.

EDIT: Sorry, if I sounded rude. I must calm down, after that demo got out I have been feeling kinda hyperactive.
There are two colored sheets going around- one is apparently fan-colored and one is colored sprites taken from the ROM.

Oh, then I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but the fan-colored looks exactly the same as the one I got. Here's why I'm saying that:
SpaceWorld%20photo_zpsluuchxiw.png

EDIT: Should I add the colored backsprites?

Anybody have translated Pokédex entries? I feel like that would be really interesting to see.
I don't know, but most of them say the same thing, which I guess means "no data" or something like that.

EDIT: Found it! It's the same entry as beta Slowking: "Now investigating this newly discovered Pokémon". I'll look for exceptions.

EDIT 2: Every single one says the same thing. Only Kanto Pokémon have entries. They don't even have species, height or weight. And looking at base stats, most of them got removed or weakened. Ikari's pre-evolution doesn't even have a proper name. Guess there's a lot we don't know.

Last edited:
I don't know, but most of them say the same thing, which I guess means "no data" or something like that.

EDIT: Found it! It's the same entry as beta Slowking: "Now investigating this newly discovered Pokémon". I'll look for exceptions.

EDIT 2: Every single one says the same thing. Only Kanto Pokémon have entries. They don't even have species, height or weight. And looking at base stats, most of them got removed or weakened. Ikari's pre-evolution doesn't even have a proper name. Guess there's a lot we don't know.
Well it was a beta demo version- most of what we see wasn't even meant to be found while playing the demo. Kinda like how we weren't supposed to find the entire Alola dex in the Sun/Moon demo but oops, there it was.

Who knows how many more designs were created and scrapped before and after that particular demo version was made.

------

Fffff-- anyone else notice that the beta Mew sprite is so much cuter than either of the sprites we wound up with? Those sweet eyes <3

Last edited:
Well it was a beta demo version- most of what we see wasn't even meant to be found while playing the demo. Kinda like how we weren't supposed to find the entire Alola dex in the Sun/Moon demo but oops, there it was.

Who knows how many more designs were created and scrapped before and after that particular demo version was made.

------

Fffff-- anyone else notice that the beta Mew sprite is so much cuter than either of the sprites we wound up with? Those sweet eyes <3

Maybe we will be able to reconstruct it. After all we got the map, how do the Pokémon evolve, the effect of the items (even though most doesn't work), their types, the skateboard, most gym leaders, the Elite Four, the champion, unused moves, etc. Maybe someone with talent and a lot of free time will be able to made it a playable game.

The skateboard is pretty sweet, I must say. I know we've known about that for ages, but I've never commented on it, and this is the first time I've seen it in action. I wish that had made it into the games.

I don't really like the Starters. "Bayleef" is a complete what-the-fuck, and the other two lines look really bland. And as for the Legendary Beasts, I do think Raikou looks interesting (though not anywhere near as good as the real Raikou), but the other two don't even feel like Pokémon to me.

But I really must stress that the Electiger line and the Warwolf line are absolute triumphs of design. Game Freak need to dust those off and get them into the games asap. And lord help me, I just can't help but love that alternate Porygon2.

(I never felt it was something that needed explaining; I took it to be an interesting biological quirk, nothing more. :p)

It is interesting though, because it suggests that they didn’t exactly set out to make the Eeveelutions all correspond to Special types. Not that I’ve ever placed much value upon that pattern to begin with, but, you know.

also lol @ Sunflora being Grass/Psychic. Grass/Fire fans have their chain yanked once again...
If anything, it would be way worse if it were Grass/Fire because either way, it wouldn't have happened and having it to be the planned type makes it felt wasted.

I wonder what name Umbreon would have had if it were a Poison-type, given that its name is based on darkness rather than poison. Maybe Miasmeon?

Thank you for reading.

Maybe we will be able to reconstruct it. After all we got the map, how do the Pokémon evolve, the effect of the items (even though most doesn't work), their types, the skateboard, most gym leaders, the Elite Four, the champion, unused moves, etc. Maybe someone with talent and a lot of free time will be able to made it a playable game.
I have little doubt that someone will use the map and Pokemon for a fan game. I wonder if it will be a GB or GBC game.

I haven't seen anyone say that the absence of Lugia makes the existence of two versions really odd. Even in 1997 the titles were Pocket Monsters 2 Gold and Silver.

I'm really intrigued as to how Elite Four Giovanni would have reacted to Team Rocket and Silver.

If anything, it would be way worse if it were Grass/Fire because either way, it wouldn't have happened and having it to be the planned type makes it felt wasted.

True.

I wonder what name Umbreon would have had if it were a Poison-type, given that its name is based on darkness rather than poison. Maybe Miasmeon?

I vote for Oozeon, since it sweats poison, and I think it sounds just as phonetically complementary to Espeon as Umbreon does. Starting with vowels (but still a heavier one than the soft e in Espeon), stays at three syllables, and all that.

In any case, I think it's hilarious that the Dark type was added ostensibly to help balance out the Psychic type, and yet, the Psychic vs. Dark Eeveelution relationship of Gen 2 which seems in line with that was originally going to be a "pro-Psychic" Psychic vs. Poison relationship.

If you had to choose between Happa, Honoguma and Kurusu, which one would you choose? I'd choose Kurusu but that's because I always choose the Water starter.

I haven't seen anyone say that the absence of Lugia makes the existence of two versions really odd. Even in 1997 the titles were Pocket Monsters 2 Gold and Silver.
That's because it's not odd- Mewtwo was the only major legendary in Gen 1 and we still had two versions for that.

If you had to choose between Happa, Honoguma and Kurusu, which one would you choose? I'd choose Kurusu but that's because I always choose the Water starter.
Honoguma all the way- I already played Gold with Chikorita as my first game, and honestly I wouldn't want to repeat the experience with that weird middle evo there. Nothing against Kurusu, because I like its concept, but Honoguma's line just wins out by design.

We got Cruise basically remixed in Sun and Moon. Here's hoping Honoguma gets revived and redrawn into a new Fire starter soon. It's literally my favorite Fire-type Starter based on design alone.

We got Cruise basically remixed in Sun and Moon. Here's hoping Honoguma gets revived and redrawn into a new Fire starter soon. It's literally my favorite Fire-type Starter based on design alone.
Do you mean Popplio? Because I am really not understanding how people think that a plesiosaur bears any resemblance to a sea lion...

Back
Top Bottom