• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Space World 1997 demo for Pokemon Gold leaked

They're annual movies produced by the same staff. More to the point:
Make sure not to miss the interview link in my previous post.
Aaaaaaaaah I forgot to check when the First movie was released, this gives us a lot more perspective! Thank you!

So clearly Lugia didn't exist at all in 1997. That clears that much up. So I guess either Ho-oh was going to be pulling double duty or maybe the box mascots were going to be the starters again. Dynabear and Aquaria do look like they could have fit a Gold and Silver theme. Ho-oh's prominence as the title art could have been due to its intended significance to the story.

So, do you think this mean that if we got the games as they were originally planned, Lugia would be either the first anime-only Pokémon, or at least the first Gen III Pokémon?

Well... considering Ho-oh premiered at the beginning of the anime and was anime-only for a while, as was Togepi, I figure that if they hadn't included Lugia in the games, it probably would have been bumped to Gen 3. Or been included in Crystal, given the timing. If the games' release hadn't been delayed, it could have been our first mid-gen addition. I kinda suspect that it was a contributing factor to the delay, though- maybe not a major contributing factor, but one of several.

As I said, it was on /vp/. People have access to the game and the early part is playable. I trust that GlitterBerri will translate the interesting text (possibly beyond Silent Hills) eventually.
I'm not sure if I skipped it or something, but I haven't seen anything like that in the demo. Or is it something that happens later? I'm at the bridge were you battled a Kimono Girl.

Ah, there's another ROM which allows you to forego the demo and just play the game as normal until it crashes. I'd send a link if it were allowed.

Ah, there's another ROM which allows you to forego the demo and just play the game as normal until it crashes. I'd send a link if it were allowed.
I guess that's what I have been playing. No wonder Silver nor Blue appeared on it. And it also explains why I had to reset a lot to get Kurusu (8 out of 10 times I got Honoguma).

I'm playing the demo now (for real this time). Don't know Japanese, but Silver reminded me of Pearl.

EDIT: Is normal that Silver starts with a lv10 Meowth?

EDIT 2: Apparently, each floor of the Sprout Tower was dedicated to a different Pokémon.
1F: Growlithe
2F: Pikachu
3F: Bellsprout
4F: Ho-oh
5F: Abra
Each floor contains four Sages (Mediums in Pikachu's floor) I don't know how many of them you were supposed to battle (if there was any Trainer at all), or what purpose it originally had since no one has text.

EDIT 3: Falkner's gym was complete in the demo. There are four trainers standing on platforms around Falkner. It looks like they were optional at first.

EDIT 4: Gates were going to be like in Gen I (two floors with one observatory) also I found a
house with two N64s and a Scientist. Maybe something for Stadium?

EDIT 5: Bugsy's gym is more or less complete. There are four girls in a room and Bugsy is in the back. There are some trees and a pond(?) in the middle. The Radio Tower was originally in Azalea Town and... Giovanni is on the last floor!? The Dept. Store was also there.

EDIT 6: Next town has a gym in a building labeled League. It has what I think are Strength boulders and what I think is the Gym Leader uses a generic sprite. Maybe its Okera/Gama? Also it doesn't have warps, so save before enterin that place.

EDIT 7: There was a fighting dojo at what I think is beta Olivine City. Maybe that's where you were supposed to get Gohng. There's another gym in a place labeled League. The leader is in the middle of a platform surrounded by water. To get to him, you had to walk on the bridges that surround the platform to get to the bridge that takes you to the leader. There's 2 trainer in each side which means that going directly to challenge the leader without fighting anyone is impossible. Looks like a Water or Ice gym. Again, there are no warps so save before entering.

EDIT 8: There were already whirlpools in the game. Also, there's a town with a cave that doesn't go anywhere.

EDIT 9: Rock Smash boulders were already there. Also, another gym labeled League. There's four girls in a graveyard theme room. The gym leader is female, so I think its Jasmine or Whitney. Again, no warps. The town is covered in snow, by the way.

EDIT 10: Another town with an useless cave. Maybe they were originally connected.

EDIT 11: Found a town with a zoo like Fuchsia City. There's another gym labeled League here. It's a barely decorated room with plants and an extremely bright green palette. There's four trainers around the room and a fat guy in the middle (possibly the leader). I'm starting to think that the Leader in the Strength gym is Morty and this is Okera/Gama. No warps, again.

EDIT 12: Red is a gym leader! Or well, Blue is a gym leader (that was his original name). Again, four trainers, a barely decorated room and no warps. Apparently this is Kanto City, since I found Pallet Town here. There's a girl at Prof. Oak's lab, but I can't recognize the
sprite. There's a chance it may not be Daisy since there's a girl in Blue's house.

EDIT 13: I found what I think is the place where the league takes place. There are no warps anywhere. I wanted to see the beta Elite Four rooms :(.

Last edited:
This is a really huge and interesting find. It's so cool to see these early designs to see what has changed, what was dropped and what was improved upon in later generations. While I love the Johto starters, especially Cyndaquil and Totodile, the original Fire and Water starters look pretty nice. The final form of the Fire starter kind of reminds me of Flareon, but that might be due to the fur around its neck. I like that there were even more baby Pokemon planned. Considering that G/S introduced the breeding mechanic, introducing more baby Pokemon makes sense. I would have loved the baby Vulpix and Growlithe in particular a lot. I don't know if they'll bring back baby Pokemon, but maybe they can at least use them to inspire different Pokemon designs.

I think I like the beta Politoad a bit more. Maybe it's just that it looks more like a big frog that appeals to me for some reason. I like the finalized Politoad just fine and it does look significantly different from Poliwrath, but the original design looks nice too. Beta Noctowl looks way too much like a taller Pidgey to me. I actually kind of like the beta design for Magby. The head shape makes me think of Golduck more than Bart Simpson, but I think it works and makes it look more tough. The original Hoppip line looks adorable as floating heads with no limbs. It is interesting that Umbreon was apparently going to be a Poison type and that even Bellsprout was going to have a branch evolution line. That would have worked nicely a a mirror to what happened with the Oddish line, but the design of the evolution itself is a bit strange. I think it could have worked with some redesign, so it's a shame that was scrapped.

It is pretty funny how fans have wanted a Farfetch'd evolution for years and they had one planned for G/S. The big wing kind of makes it hard to get a good feel for the design, but I think it was a concept that could have worked. The Pinsir evolution reminds me way more of Mega Pinsir than Heracross. I like Espeon's yellow coloring. The finalized purple color is much more fitting, but yellow is nice too. Octilary's armor looks really nice and I like Murkrow's witch hat too. The Santa hat on beta Delibird is adorable. I prefer the final designs for the Legendary Beasts, but I think that their beta versions look pretty nice too, particularly Raikou and Suicune's. The beta Leafeon looks nice, but I'm glad that they fine tuned it for the fourth generation instead. Leafeon looks much better and it's one of my favorite Eeveelutions too.

I like what we got from the second generation overall, but there are a lot of nice ideas behind some of these unused designs and I hope that we can see these again in future Pokemon. The unused Fire starter, the little black cat, the fire seal and what I think is a round electric mouse or tiger could work really well as the bases for new Pokemon. Plus, it's just neat to see a bit more of what they were planning on doing with G/S and we rarely get anything on scrapped Pokemon designs too.

Wait, it turns out Kris replaced Lyra? Not the other way around?

I have literally been waiting at least 15 years or so to see the beta of GS, ever since that screenshot of the title screen from Spaceworld showing Ho-Oh in black and white and seeing the handdrawn versions of Kurusu and Honuguma. I remember reading about the demo way back in 98, and seeing some grainy screenshots on the 'net and wanting that version so much because I had just beat Red and... yeah. This is long awaited!

You mean the brown haired girl from Crystal's pre-release pictures? If so, yeah, Kris was the replacement, not the original.
It was a blurry, colorless beta picture released in 2010. I don't think that the original girl looked like Lyra.

Crystal_prototype_FC.png

I love urufuman as you can all tell from my new profile pic :LOL:. And its ice type! I seriously wish this was real

Yeah, it's great, easily one of my favourites from the bunch. Hopefully they revisit the berserker concept in future.

Have a look at a categorization of all the beta Pokemon courtesy of /vp/:

http://is2.*********/vp/1527890379988.png

They missed the Tyrogue connection.

It's also missing Sneasel in the top right box - it's similar to Mienfoo, more than some of the others they included.

Woah, this is so cool! I'm so curious about Ditto's evolution. Do the scrapped pokémon have dex entries?

Yeah, it's great, easily one of my favourites from the bunch. Hopefully they revisit the berserker concept in future.

It's also missing Sneasel in the top right box - it's similar to Mienfoo, more than some of the others they included.

Yes; it is a great informative image but also very preliminary! I would think for example that Zorua and Zoruark are very at least connectable to those two if not directly inspired! The electric tigers certainly seem to be revisited for Shinx, Luxio and Luxray. Maybe in a few months all of the possible angles of which ones could be connected will be explored and a much larger image will exist! :) :)

There are no pokedex entries for any of the scrapped pokemon, no. They all pretty much say "Now investigating this newly discovered Pokémon."
Ah, shame... I really wanted to see what its evolution gimmick would be. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom