• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Space World 1997 demo for Pokemon Gold leaked

I’m not sure how much they’d care about that... after all, in Gen 3, Lickitung can learn Rollout and Piloswine can learn Ancient Power, and yet that’s how both of them evolve in Gen 4. Granted, the actual evolution method of evolving by leveling up while knowing a specific move hadn’t been implemented, but it still raises the in-universe continuity question of why those Pokémon didn’t evolve in Gen 3.
I wonder why they even try to cover up the evolution question anyway. No one questions why a pokemon can learn a new move in a generation when it couldn't learn it in the previous one, so why try to cover up evolution? We also have other things like new types that just get swept under the rug... we really don't need the excuses to avoid breaking continuity, there's plenty of other new stuff doing that and no one's complaining.

I wonder why they even try to cover up the evolution question anyway.
The funny thing is, there’s actually two cases where they didn’t try to cover it up. Piloswine can learn Ancient Power before gen 4, same with Lickitung and Rollout, yet both needs them to evolve.

Me personally, I think that any lore or world building that would be removed from a more streamlined evolution process would be made up for by...a more streamlined evolution process.

Like, if I want an Espeon, I’d have more fun by evolving my Eevee with a Sun/Dawn stone and just getting the Espeon than having to drag dead weight around in my party until its happiness is high enough and it’s the right time of day.

Similar story for Glaceon and Leafeon. I recently replayed Platinum and really wanted to evolve my Eevee into a Glaceon, but it just didn’t make sense given that I’d have to wait until nearly the 7th Gym to do that. In Black/White 2, you don’t even get access to the Moss Rock until the postgame. In HGSS, you don’t get access to them at all. In Gen VI and VII, I have to break the pacing of the game and pet the damn Eevee for awhile to get my Sylveon. I’d rather just use a Shiny Stone to evolve Eevee into Sylveon and be done with it.

But again, that’s just my personal opinion. I can see why others prefer to keep the lore aspect to it.

Last edited:
Me personally, I think that any lore or world building that would be removed from a more streamlined evolution process would be made up for by...a more streamlined evolution process.

Like, if I want an Espeon, I’d have more fun by evolving my Eevee with a Sun/Dawn stone and just getting the Espeon than having to drag dead weight around in my party until its happiness is high enough and it’s the right time of day.

Similar story for Glaceon and Leafeon. I recently replayed Platinum and really wanted to evolve my Eevee into a Glaceon, but it just didn’t make sense given that I’d have to wait until nearly the 7th Gym to do that. In Black/White 2, you don’t even get access to the Moss Rock until the postgame. In HGSS, you don’t get access to them at all. In Gen VI and VII, I have to break the pacing of the game and pet the damn Eevee for awhile to get my Sylveon. I’d rather just use a Shiny Stone to evolve Eevee into Silveon and be done with it.

But again, that’s just my personal opinion. I can see why others prefer to keep the lore aspect to it.
I wish they would both retcon it and keep it the same. Like they did to feebas. Like, let Leafeon evolve with a leaf stone OR let it evolve at a moss rock. Similarly, let Espeon evolve by sun stone, OR high happiness during the day. And then, (this ones a maybe), to give similar treatment/availability to the original three, let them evolve by their stones and add a second method. I feel like it’d have to be a new method, but it could make it interesting. That way, if you want it right away, use a stone. But if you have access to a certain area/time of day and don’t want to waste/buy a stone, use that method. Gives some choices.

But of course this is GF and they ain’t about that life.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the evolution requirements for Espeon/Umbreon and Sylveon can overlap, no? I know that Affection (was that needed? )=/= Friendship but still. If a Pokémon has high Friendship, it has high Affection too, no?

So, when Eevee evolves, what has priority: Friendship or affection? I never thought about that before.

Technically it would be Friendship, because Affection isn’t the only condition that needs to be fulfilled in order to evolve it into Sylveon. It also needs to know a Fairy-type move when it levels up. If it does, then Affection will take precedence.

Although the Moss and Ice Rocks override even that.

I’ve always been annoyed that Leafeon didn’t evolve via Leaf Stone. Aside from the fact that Grass is one of the most basic elemental types AND the stone existed back during the first games, you cannot evolve your Evee until you come across the Mossy Rock.

I don’t remember when you first get access to a Fairy move, but in general, you can get pretty much any of the other Evees whenever you want. Sure, you may need to wait for a certain time of day, but Leafeon (and Glaceon) need to wait until whenever the game decides to give you access to the area the Rocks are in. I think that’s what annoys me more about those two than other area specific evolutions; they’re the only two that share a base pre-evolution who are limited by the arbitrary placement of environment.

gsdemopoke.png

Just wanted to show picture I made from sprites, with all 55 pokemon (and their Japanese names), that I consider to be new. Including 20 fully new ones, 19 evo\pre evo that not made into final games, and 16 pokemon with far too different designs (in my option) to consider them same, as final versions.

The Shellder on Slowking's head as large spike on either side with many small spikes at the top. Slowbro's Shellder has small spikes all over it just like Turban, so despite it's name it's look like it comes from Slowbro, not Slowking.
That's probably why it's in the beta and never got fully developed. The game's designs realized putting a weak Shellder in the game wasn't good for gameplay, or couldn't figure out a way to make that kind of Shellder useful.
It weird for it to evolve naturally in the wild like that, especially since it doesn't seem to serve any natural benefit and Shellder already evolves into Cloyster which is the far more powerful and kingly of the two

It seems to me that Shellder has either bitten a detached tail, given that slowpoketail is an item in these games, or Turbann is a detached Slowbro tail.

It seems to me that Shellder has either bitten a detached tail, given that slowpoketail is an item in these games, or Turbann is a detached Slowbro tail.
I think it's probably the latter, though the former would have been a good use for the slowpoke tail item. It's also likely a detached Slowking crown- that one has the gem on it and the name Turbann would refer to the headwear.

Back
Top Bottom