• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Special 2021 Winter Arc

ACTION WOBBUFFET :lapras:

The premise of this special seems interesting, though having this many characters in only a two parter worries me a bit.. hopefully the pacing is much better this time around

I'm just glad Chloe is here, even if she probably won't have anything to do.

Dawn’s returns seem to shoehorn her into legendary arcs now since the writers don’t want to make a contest episode since she’s not a main character anymore.

That trailer was pretty cool. I actually liked the outfits for alternate Ash and Dawn, but blue and purple are some of my favorite colors. I'm also surprised that the Mirror World filler episode from XY hasn't been brought up yet. If Mirror World Dawn mistakes Dawn's Piplup for her own, then that would be similar to the setup of that XY filler episode. Being able to see different personalities and/or teams from these mirror world versions could be interesting. It does sound like potentially too much to cover in just two episodes, especially when they still need to deal with Dialga and Palika, but it can work depending on the pacing. The poster was also really cool too and hopefully they'll showcase some of Dawn's other Pokemon during the two-parter.

That trailer is pretty hype tbf but my expectations are very low… They didn’t manage the characters and story all that well in the previous 2 parter and this seems even more chock full… Oh well, fingers crossed eh?

I hope my TRio actually appear in this and not just BW TRio…

Nice to see that Koharu’s getting to be a part of this special and Dawn’s making another return. Also seems that Go finally remembered that he has an Aerodactyl. A little foreboding that Ash is riding Flygon rather than Dragonite though. Did he not bring his full team for this one or something.

0ED61071-293C-44E7-94A2-8988737E966D.jpeg

Um, I guess Mirror-Ash has a Pichu? So, did Pikachu never meet Kangaskhan in this mirror-world, and possibly Goh didn’t meet Mew?

That's regular Ash. His Pikachu most likely devolved due to Dialga's influence.
I know that. That’s why I said “Um”, as it’s weird seeing regular Ash with a Pichu.
And he’s carrying it - Pikachu/Pichu isn’t on his shoulder. He could be carrying it as it got separated from Mirror-Ash, and is trying to protect it.
Plus, we never saw Mirror-Ash’s Pikachu in the trailer, just regular Ash’s.

But, the Dialga guess is a good one. Actually, I’d reckon you’re right with that.

Last edited:
I know that. That’s why I said “Um”, as it’s weird seeing regular Ash with a Pichu.
And he’s carrying it - Pikachu/Pichu isn’t on his shoulder. He could be carrying it as it got separated from Mirror-Ash, and is trying to protect it.
Plus, we never saw Mirror-Ash’s Pikachu in the trailer, just regular Ash’s.

But, the Dialga guess is a good one. Actually, I’d reckon you’re right with that.
You could be right, and I'm not gonna say your theory is wrong, but I think a lot of people are leaning more towards the Dialga devolution theory (which would be interesting if it's true, I mean, we've never seen a Pokemon devolve in the anime before, have we?)

Last edited:
(which would be interesting if it's true, I mean, we've never seen a Pokemon devolve in the anime before, have we?)
Aside from one dream episode, no. Gladion's Silvally technically devolved when Faba reverted it into Type: Null, but we didn't see that happen, and it was a pretty unique case anyway.

Aside from one dream episode, no. Gladion's Silvally technically devolved when Faba reverted it into Type: Null, but we didn't see that happen, and it was a pretty unique case anyway.
Oh yeah, I think I forgot about that. As you said, though, that was a pretty unique case. It's an artificial Pokemon, after all. Plus, Type: Null is morphologically very similar to Silvally; it's literally just Silvally with a mask slapped on it. When it evolves, the mask just breaks off. With Pikachu supposedly devolving, that's a bit more of a bodily change.

That dream episode from XY, was really a trip, because it didn't just feature devolution, but also Chespin evolving all the way to Chesnaught, skipping its Quilladin stage altogether, a la warp digivolving.

You could be right, and I'm not gonna say your theory is wrong, but I think a lot of people are leaning more towards the Dialga devolution theory (which would be interesting if it's true, I mean, we've never seen a Pokemon devolve in the anime before, have we?)
I mean there’s definitely precedence for that theory considering that in the preview for the special we saw Go, Dawn and Koharu aging backwards. So it definitely makes sense that such a thing could be happening to some of the Pokémon.

AsI mean there’s definitely precedence for that theory considering that in the preview for the special we saw Go, Dawn and Koharu aging backwards. So it definitely makes sense that such a thing could be happening to some of the Pokémon.
I'm going to assume that's what those eggs were about as well, their Pokemon aging backwards. Question is, which Pokemon?

(Side note: does anyone think that Infernape in the trailer was Ash's, or alternate universe Ash's? And if it is indeed regular universe Ash's, do you think Infernape will return to his team following this? And what about Greninja? Based on the merch I've seen, it seems likely.)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom