• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Special Research Event: Mew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This thread will be used to talk about the special research events. We'll be making one each time an event is announced in similar fashion to the regular events so be sure to post any new updates! I already have one stamp :)

Best of luck to everyone!

A Mythical Discovery (Special Research Task chain to obtain the Mythical Pokemon Mew):

1/8
Spin 5 PokeStops
Catch 10 Pokemon
Transfer 5 Pokemon

2/8
Earn 2 Candies walking with your Buddy
Make 10 Great Throws
Hatch 3 Eggs

3/8
Reach Level 15
Battle in a Gym 2 times
Battle in 2 Raids

4/8
Earn a Silver Kanto medal
Evolve 20 Pokemon
Earn 5 Candies walking with your Buddy

5/8
Catch Ditto
Make 20 Great Throws
Catch 10 Ghost-type Pokemon

6/8
Reach Level 25
Battle in 10 Raids
Evolve a Magikarp

7/8
Use 50 Berries to help catch Pokemon
Make 1 Excellent Curve throw
Earn a Gold Kanto medal

8/8
Catch Mew

Last edited:
Thoughts and tips on the A Mythical Discovery chain

Stage 1 should be quite easy. Spinning PokeStops, catching and transferring Pokemon should all be easy tasks that are intuitive to regular gameplay anyway.

Stage 2 needs some slight planning.
  • Using a 1km Buddy makes the objective of earning 2 Candies by walking easier. I'd personally suggest Magikarp as a Buddy for reasons to be revealed later.
  • For the 10 Great Throws I suggest Pokemon you can comfortably land a Great throw on, ideally some with low catch and flee rate; just throw Poke Balls at them as Great Throws and don't worry if they break out until caught, it will still count. Legendaries (like Lugia at the moment) you have practiced throws on work nice as well. I personally used mostly Zigzagoon and Delcatty as that's what I had available at the time.
  • Similarly to the first point, to get 3 Eggs hatched quickly you should rather use 2km Eggs, something which is easier to acheive nowadays thanks to the Eggstravaganza event only giving out 2km Eggs. Keep in mind that Stage 1 gives a free 3-use Egg Incubator as a reward which can speed up the process.
What is holding me back at the moment is that I'm out of town and don't have any good reasons to go out there and get those final 900m of distance needed to get my third Egg hatched. Should be able to breeze through more of the chain after that point, though.

I got my second stamp yesterday, earning the third one is easy, just battle in a gym twice and win a raid twice. Rewards are better than I expected, two TMs! Yay!

I've heard of someone catching a Mew. You appearantly don't need to accomplish all eight goals for Mew to appear. You also must throw a Great curveball to catch it. I've been trying Nice curveball throws but someone I can't get it done or the game just ignores me.

I've heard of someone catching a Mew. You appearantly don't need to accomplish all eight goals for Mew to appear. You also must throw a Great curveball to catch it. I've been trying Nice curveball throws but someone I can't get it done or the game just ignores me.
I've heard a different way of how the Mew encounter works:
It is guaranteed to escape from the first two throws and get caught in the third. So feel free to just waste two Poke Balls on it, then use a Pinap Berry and a third Poke Ball to get it caught. No curve or other bonuses needed.

I've heard a different way of how the Mew encounter works:
It is guaranteed to escape from the first two throws and get caught in the third. So feel free to just waste two Poke Balls on it, then use a Pinap Berry and a third Poke Ball to get it caught. No curve or other bonuses needed.
My uncle who works at Niantic says you have to have the AR camera on and point it under a truck.

3/8
  • Reach Level 15: Of course this was a given for me. But it seems easy to achieve nowadays with all the XP from Raids, Research, dex registers. Shouldn't take too long for a new player.
  • Battle in a Gym 2 times: Also very easy. Just one Gym that's not held by your team should be enough. For the record I did use Kyogre for this.
  • Battle in 2 Raids: Did a Lugia and a Mawile Raid to make use of my daily Raid Passes anyway, so this didn't take long.

4/8
  • Earn a Silver Kanto medal: Another given for me. 50 Kanto species can be challenging for newer/rural players, though. I recommend checking out several areas with wide species/biome diversity and just catch enough of the Pokemon you don't regularly get to register their evolutions too.
  • Evolve 20 Pokemon: Pretty easy as I have Candy saved up on several species for mass evolutions, whenever they become handy. If you struggle with this, I guess working on it alongside the medal maximizes efficiency. 12-Candy species like Pidgey/Whismur is your savior here :)
  • Earn 5 Candies walking with your Buddy: This is the "hard" part for me lol, where I am currently stuck. It just needs 5km of walking which normally isn't a problem, but now I'm in a rural area and just don't feel like going out for no good reason. Once I'm back in the city this will happen in a few hours max.

I'm stuck on the Ditto catching, too. The only thing to do about it is to catch any Pidgey, Zubat, Ratata, Magikarp, Ghastly and other Pokemon Ditta can hide as.

Edit;
Caught a Ditto! It was a 60CP Ratatatata. The XP got me to level 35 too. I had two high IV Magikarps that are now two big badass Gyarados.

Last edited:
5/8
  • Catch Ditto: This is the part that needs the most luck. It's pure RNG honestly, just catch everything that could be a Ditto and hope. If you're in local chats you may ask other people's help, if they find a spawned Ditto nearby which you can then get. Personally I just got one by luck during the Kanto event, it was disguised as Gastly, but it was the very last objective I got done in this stage. It didn't hold me back too much thankfully, else I'd need to wait 10 days for the Raids next stage.
  • Make 20 Great Throws: This shouldn't be too hard albeit it's a little time consuming. If you're used to making Great throws, particularly on Pokemon with huge hitboxes which are easier, you just need to do it 20 times and be done with it. This is the part that took me the least time off this stage.
  • Catch 10 Ghost-type Pokemon: This can be a little annoying. The ideal way to get it done is going in a Ghost-type's nest, if there is one available. If not, try to get some play sessions at night (but make sure to stay safe), as Ghosts spawn more at night. With Kanto Event it was a bit easier thanks to all the Gastly spawns all day, that's how I got it as I was a bit too late to hit the Shuppet nest we got last round.

6/8
  • Reach Level 25: Just a matter of XP, with some grinding/evolving/Raiding it just naturally happens. Of course I was done with it immediately.
  • Battle in 10 Raids: Take as much time as you need with this. If Free To Play this takes a bit longer, albeit using Coins obtained from Gyms for the special boxes that have Premium Raid Passes on discount can speed this up. Personally I planned to do several Latias Raids in a row for the end of the double Candy event, thankfully I had got my Ditto by then so I could get to this stage in time, else I'd need to wait the long game.
  • Evolve a Magikarp: This can be very daunting. It didn't actually hold me back in practice because the Raids took longer, but I did not have it ready when I got to the stage. Just grind Magikarp with Pinap, thankfully they're pretty much guaranteed catches as long as you don't make the mistake of throwing a Poke Ball in a high CP one. During the event they were everywhere and double Candy helped immensely; now you need Water biome again, but thankfully the spawn rate of Magikarp has been increased again compared to before Special Research to help for this. Besides, you still get an awesome Gyarados in the end, and the increased spawns now apply forever. Enjoy :)

7/8
  • Use 50 Berries to help catch Pokemon: You just need to use the Berries for this, not actually catch. This makes a very big difference; Nanab Berries are your friend here. They're not that useful anyway, they make Pokemon less likely to attack which helps with the Excellent Curve if you have trouble. I just held to 50 of those knowing this would come and just threw them over. Keep in mind that even if you don't want to catch a Pokemon, just Nanab and leave it be. The +1 still counts.
  • Make 1 Excellent Curve throw: If you're not skilled enough on throws this can be a little annoying. Nanab Berry + Pokemon with huge hitboxes can help. Personally I got it on a Latias Raid heh, out of chance, I'm not even that good on throwing on it; just Great. But it took me a bit too long and the inside circle got smaller yet poof Excellent :)
  • Earn a Gold Kanto medal: Just like the Silver medal one but harder. Of course I had it ready, and the Kanto event helped greatly with this one for several who didn't.
AT THIS POINT YOU DO GET THE MEW ENCOUNTER. 8/8 is not really "required" to catch it.

8/8
  • Catch Mew: The encounter can be a bit tricky. I'm gonna do spoiler tags here:
AR mode is forced (I've heard there is a way to turn it off but I am not sure what it is and ended up not doing it :() You use regular Poke Balls which are unlimited, just like the starter Pokemon encounter. So no matter how much you miss, it does not drain off your actual Poke Balls stash. Unfortunately you cannot use Berries so no Pinap for the eventually guaranteed catch.
Mew is going invisible for short periods of time and then goes visible again, but a sort-of shadow of it can always be seen. It's still tricky to aim for in AR though, and you might miss some shots; but it doesn't really matter in the end.
The first two successful throws are scripted to always break; first throw shakes once and breaks, second throw shakes twice and breaks. The third throw is the final, guaranteed catch.

I caught it during the double Candy event and got a little bonus, which is nice :) Unfortunately IVs/moveset are not remarkable so I don't have plans of investing on it for now. But I'm still very hyped that I caught Mew and might change my mind in the future. It's been a ride!

Yeah I'm still looking for Ditto. The Kanto event really slowed me down since it seemed to reduce the amount of Pidgey and Rattata around. Hopefully I can get one soon. I really don't have any other hangups for research events since I already have enough Magikarp candy

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom