• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation about the Gen 9 box art legendaries and my thoughts

Poke Dragon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
Koraidon and Miraidon already took on the past and future theme. It should be noted that they look really similar (discounting their theme), it could be possible that they are one and the same Pokemon, just in different forms/evolutions (possibly both). Now, no switchable forms for Pokemon never made the Pokemon itself change its name, not even the six fusions that exist currently.

However, conventions for box art legendary Pokemon have been broken before. Solgaleo and Lunala are split final evolutions of Cosmoem. Similarly, Urshifu is the final evolution of Kubfu. Another convention that was broken was that there wasn't a fusion Pokemon before, done back in Gen 5 first starting with Kyurem, then doing the same with Necrozma and the current newest Pokemon capable of fusion is Calyrex. I know there are a few more examples of box art legendary Pokemon that broke the mold, like how Groudon, Kyogre, Dialga, and Palkia all got forms so much later than their debut generations.

So I wouldn't rule out Komaidon and Miraidon being the exact same Pokemon just yet. Also, it's clear that we are going to get to ride them because of not only a wheel-like design (Koraidon) and a turbo-like design (Miraidon), the second part of their names literally sound like "ride on".

When I look at the pair of them together, the first thing I am reminded of is the Shiva Sisters from FFXIII where the two girls combine together to form Snow's bike.

Considering that I can't see how either one becomes a fully fledged vehicle with only the parts they currently possess, I wouldn't be surprised if either they two combine or it's like last Gen's dogs where they have an upgraded form.

I think they could have a more global role, like kyogre/groudon , instead of a more local role like gen 8 legendaries. Koraidon might be the pokemon of past preservation and fossil formation. So, Dragon/Rock is a likely type. Hisuian pokemon might be scarlet exclusives. Miraidon might be the pokemon that builds the future, helping humans to discover new technologies, and making the pokemon mutate and evolve on a darwinian way, explaining the origin of the regional variants. Galarian and alolan forms could be violet exclusives.

Reshiram and zekrom have similar concepts , Reshiram being more tradition oriented and Zekrom more tech oriented. But they actually help humans achieve their goals when they actually believe they are right.

I think it’s entirely possible they’re time traveled versions of the same entity, one being from the distant past and the other from the far future. But I don’t think they’re gonna share a dex slot or be able to form change into one another. I’d really like to see them both play a role in the story regardless of version, even if only one is obtainable.

I love them, especially Miraidon. But watching the trailer again kinda makes me wish there were a tech type for Miraidon.

I love them, especially Miraidon. But watching the trailer again kinda makes me wish there were a tech type for Miraidon.
Interesting idea, but Steel is already kind filling that niche, with some of the more robotic looking Pokémon we have seen in the series, like Magnemite.

When I look at the pair of them together, the first thing I am reminded of is the Shiva Sisters from FFXIII where the two girls combine together to form Snow's bike.

Considering that I can't see how either one becomes a fully fledged vehicle with only the parts they currently possess, I wouldn't be surprised if either they two combine or it's like last Gen's dogs where they have an upgraded form.
Miraidon looks like its parts collapse or fold into themselves. You can see its feet doing that in its art. Its shoulders are handlebars, and it has a seat on its back.

Miraidon looks like its parts collapse or fold into themselves. You can see its feet doing that in its art. Its shoulders are handlebars, and it has a seat on its back.
Yeah, it reminds me of the Latis.

Flying space motorcycle dragon is love. I'm usually one for going for 'past' in the past vs futuristic themes but I love the weird scifi in pokemon so yeah.

I love the colors on its glowy bits. I love its digital screen lookin eyes. Looks much more fitting to ride like a motorcycle than the organic 'historic' style one. Gosh I keep looking at it. Pretty noodle.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom