• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation: Pokémon Black 3 and White 3

GreatLiver

Well-Respected Member
Reaction score
Something I've been seeing almost across the board with the response to these games is that they don't seem complete enough. Maybe people were having too high of expectations, or maybe GF have once again set us up for sequels. People have been frustrated with the plot leaving some of the Plasma plot unfinished. Could this be setting up for another game? There have also been complaints about how the new formes in the games seem superficial, with possible formes hinted at in the original Black and White not being present but once again being hinted towards. Do Original Dragon and Genosect formes still have a possibility of existing?

Do people really expect DLC to be as in depth as additional story elements? DLC in pokemon games so far have been pretty insubstantial, being almost entirely cosmetic like with C-Gear skins. I could see DLC for Elite 4 members in the World Tournament, but that's about the furthest I'd see them going. Putting in additional characters with 6 pokemon each doesn't seem like something that would be too tough. Giving a resolution to the plot with Ghetsis seems like something to important to just be DLC.

Game Freak releasing full out sequels rather than a third version was completely unprecedented, so could they surprise us again by releasing a second sequel in Gen V. As much as people think Gen VI are right around the corner, we really have no idea, and it's entirely possible another sequel could come out in a year or two to tide over the time before Gen VI. It really seems that GF have set themselves up for a continuation of this story. Gen II gave us a continuation of the Gen I story, but with BW giving us a story continuation within the same generation, could they be looking to keep the entire Unova story within a single generation?

Discuss your thoughts on the possibility of a second sequel and what you would like to see in them.

I know RS remake speculation can be a touchy subject, so it'd be nice to try and avoid bringing that in here. I'm aware technically this is "Discussion of video games that are not B2W2," but with mentions of possible second sequels being made across this forum, it seemed appropriate to create a single thread to contain all of that.

Like I've said before, they shouldn't drag this out anymore. They had their chance to wrap up the plot with these sequels, and they totally missed it. Plus, a lot of people just won't react well to another B/W game, no matter what generation they're released in.

As disappointed as I am, what's done is done. All I can do now is maybe look forward to Gen VI.

I don't know how B2W2 ended, but either way and third in the sequal would be bad unless they added more regions to it like the johto series, then it might do well. Or maybe if you start off in a different region and go to Unova

Granted, I had exceedingly high expectations, and I didn't expect any of them to be fulfilled. The only thing I wanted addressed was the stuff they foreshadowed in BW, namely the Original Dragon and a new region. We didn't get the former (though the story was expanded a bit, revealing what we all guessed without revealing the Original Dragon), and we didn't get the latter (unless you count Nature Sanctuary).

What we did get were two forms seemingly created to get more money from us.

Oh and random throwbacks to past events that really, didn't need to be expanded on, but it was interesting nonetheless (i.e., Marvelous Bridge Ghost). Now if only they actually gave Darach a cameo.

As for how the plot ended, it seems clunky, but I think the Shadow Triad told Ghetsis to give up. Achroma's intentions were a bit weird (unleasing Pokemon's true potential even at the cost of Unova?) and would have been nicer if it contrasted with N's liberation plot (belief that Pokemon should be used to better the lives of people and eventually moving away from that extreme just as N did). It's not as if Platinum's plot got a full resolution either (Only Charon got arrested), and Archie and Maxxie just disappeared in Emerald.

I think they should just cut their losses.

However, what's interesting is that the DNA Linker is supposedly an ancient artifact that Drayden was guarding. When it's used on Kyurem to absorb Reshiram or Zekrom, its properties change, meaning that it can only take in one at a time. There may be a second DNA Linker then, that we don't know about that allows B/W Kyurem to take in the final dragon. A small plot regarding this could certainly be brought on to a future game, much like how the Regi "plot" was continued in Sinnoh.

Or Game Freak is actually working closely with a third party developer for a Wii RPG game to address this issue, and we get something like the Manaphy scenario in Ranger. But I doubt that's happening.

Last edited:
A R/S remake is more likely. I don't think a BW3 will be ever made, it's too much. They may also continue the story in the sixth gen, but definetly no BW3

Last edited:
Pokemon Black and White: 3(D)

Would not be surprised if they did that. :p

Can't say I'm really miffed about the Complete Dragon though, I'm a bit tired of Dragon Legendaries. Now, I still wanna see Ancient Genesect though. That's one Legendary I'm looking forward to.

As disappointed as I am with some of the aspects of the game, I have to agree with the others. No one's going to like it if this story and region was dragged along any further. Black and White isn't really the pinnacle of what's possible with Pokemon story-telling, and while I do really love the characters, I'm also excited for what they'll come up with next. All I can really hope for is GameFreak realizes their mistakes with BW and B2W2 and work toward fixing them for next time.

Gen II gave us a continuation of the Gen I story, but with BW giving us a story continuation within the same generation, could they be looking to keep the entire Unova story within a single generation?
Yes, but that certainly doesn't require releasing any more games.

Unova is done with and arguably got better treatment than any region did in its respective generation, if not at all. Dangling plot threads, if Game Freak are at all interested in them, may be touched upon in another region without being made central plot points. I don't see what more could be done with Ghetsis' story, anyway; he is not different than Cyrus in his unwillingness to concede defeat.

What I think this generation actually needs before being sent out is a Wii RPG focusing on rotation and triple battles, seeing as these games don't come close to doing that.

Or Game Freak is actually working closely with a third party developer for a Wii RPG game to address this issue, and we get something like the Manaphy scenario in Ranger. But I doubt that's happening.

What if the big game Retro is working on turns out to be this.

I would love that...but I doubt Game Freak would allow a Western development company to handle Pokemon.

No. Oh no. no Black3/White3. Just. no.

I wouldn't mind GF creating a lone 3rd version like game that wraps up the whole Unova plot. But other than that . no.

So it's either fourth game wrapping up the storyline or onto the next generation.

Or R/S Remakes. I wouldn't mind them..

What if the big game Retro is working on turns out to be this.

I would love that...but I doubt Game Freak would allow a Western development company to handle Pokemon.
But it is Unova :p

The Original Dragon's story could be continued in a new generation given that the DNA Link item seems to only get the job halfway done. However, I no longer think it is canon that the PC would capture both N's dragon and Kyurem and get them to fuse together. Yes, maybe it is canon that N relinquishes his dragon to the new PC, but I doubt the PC has any intention on fusing the dragons. N notes in the cut scene that he can still here Zekrom/Reshiram's voice (albeit faintly) so it makes it seem like fusing together isn't necessarily what the dragons want...though Zekrom/Reshiram may have only protested because Ghetsis was controlling Kyurem and didn't want his powers to be used against N.

I would wait for a translation of the post-game events before judging whether or not the final fusion event is canon. Presumably, N explains that his dragon wants to fuse with Kyurem, or at least I would hope so as otherwise the implication would be depressing (despite the event being optional).

As for how the plot ended, it seems clunky, but I think the Shadow Triad told Ghetsis to give up. Achroma's intentions were a bit weird (unleasing Pokemon's true potential even at the cost of Unova?) and would have been nicer if it contrasted with N's liberation plot (belief that Pokemon should be used to better the lives of people and eventually moving away from that extreme just as N did).

I think they should just cut their losses.
Note: Very spoiling plot details contained within.
For having the long thought out plan which he founded Team Plasma for, thwarted not once but now twice by trainers he doesn't even know the names of, in a fit of rage and insanity, Ghetsis starts hurling abuse at N.
Ghetsis: Silence! Silence silence siiilence! You freak who talks with Pokemon! Don't talk to me in human speech!!
The Shadow Triad realise nothing more good can be done, so come and take him away.

Achroma spends the game searching for what he calls 'the Ideal Truth', the best way to bring out the true potential of Pokemon, and will do anything to reach that end, even if that's working with Team Plasma, whose plans involve devastating Unova. After the battle with you on the Frigate, he decides that you've shown him new possibilities, and instead of working with Team Plasma, he decides to see which will win, you or Team Plasma, and tells you how to get to Ghetsis. After you win against Ghetsis he disbands the Team Plasma members on it and takes the Plasma Frigate away.

Last edited:
Eh, I already find it depressing that N relinquishes control of his Dragon. I think I almost would've preferred if they stayed together (not that I mind the free Zekrom/Reshiram).

Given that N was an orphaned boy talking to Pokemon in the woods, which creeped out anyone who could have helped him, I'm wondering how quickly it came into Ghetsis' mind that he can use this child to rule over Unova. I mean, unless he conveniently orphaned N...

Since I didn't get to see Giovanni as a drunk in Unova, drinking his problems away, I'd like to see Ghetsis in a mental institute in a future game...

I kind of wish we could've gotten some back story on Ghetsis. I mean come on, the guy went around Unova rounding up orphans (don't forget Anthea and Concordia) as part of a plot to take over the region. We never even got to hear what his motivation was for taking over Unova, aside from his "Pokemon Are Tools" excuse. At what point did he begin to discard his humanity and become a monster?

More missed opportunities for the sequels, I guess.

It's not as if we got a back story for a lot of the bad guys though...the closest we got was with Cyrus and implied (emotional) abuse by his parents from his grandfather.

Another sequel would be silly, I think. What else is there to tell, story-wise? Give us a Gen 3 remake, or Gen 6.

To be honest, I doubt that we will see a Pokémon Black/White Version 3 pair. I think we're done with Unova; it has already been expanded on once and excluding remakes, it is the second most-visited region (after Kanto) and I think they'll be mass rioting if we have to choose between Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott again (okay, not mass rioting...but people won't be happy xD).

Personally, I think this pair is the end of Generation V. To have a new primary pair and then B3W3 would be rather disjointed. At this stage, I think the legend of the original dragon will remain just that - a legend. I think the next main series games we will see will be the Generation VI primary pair with its own new region, new Pokémon and new story.

I wouldn't be surprised if the backstory were expanded some more,
but the next games will be Gen VI, so they probably won't share the same title as the Gen V games.

Back
Top Bottom