• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
I still prefer sequels to third versions, but XY (while great!) do have some room for improvement in a potential Z version...the thing is, BW2 was created, at least partially, because they needed (and were told by Iwata, I believe) to do something different to justify staying on the obsolete DS. With Gen VI, however, they could (from a monetary standpoint) easily revert back to the third version convention, as the allure of being the first fully 3D Gen of Pokemon alone will probably sell anything they make this Gen (again, unlike Gen V, which had to distinguish itself from a previous Gen on the same console). I still really like the idea of a "mini region", bigger than to Aspertia through Virbank in BW2 but smaller than a true region, being added in the next version.

I'm fairly certain at this point that the series wouldn't have something like X2 or Y2, and instead would have a different game entirely, like Z.
Your joking right? Z would basicly be the same game with a different coat of paint just like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum were, sequels like X2 and Y2 fits the "different game" statement better.

Keep in mind that Black 2 and White 2 were merely just "extensions" to the original B/W and weren't really that much different, and one could make that argument that B2/W2 also got a fancier coat of paint, so to speak.

Either doesn't matter to me, I just find Z to be more fitting.

I'm fairly certain at this point that the series wouldn't have something like X2 or Y2, and instead would have a different game entirely, like Z.
Your joking right? Z would basicly be the same game with a different coat of paint just like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum were, sequels like X2 and Y2 fits the "different game" statement better.

Keep in mind that Black 2 and White 2 were merely just "extensions" to the original B/W and weren't really that much different, and one could make that argument that B2/W2 also got a fancier coat of paint, so to speak.

Either doesn't matter to me, I just find Z to be more fitting.
At least B2W2 used a new storyline and new locations to difference itself from BW, Z would basically be XY with only a few tweaks.

I rather doubt Z will include completely new Pokemon aside from the technically new event 'mons that get released in its lifetime. And thinking about it, I'd actually like to see a third version that improves the quality of the storyline, because while XY had some good ideas there the execution was easily its weakest link.

Well I'm really thinking a third game Pokèmon Z because if you do look at some artwork of Zygarde it sorta looks like a Z but possibly we might have 2 games again like Pokèmon ZX and Pokèmon ZY I do not know

Edit:I would like to add usually the third one is basically a director's cut version but for B2/W2 was it directors cut but maybe they're were gonna give zygarde a mega Evo I don't know.

It's interesting to note that statistically, Zygarde is weaker than Xerneas and Yveltal. Usually the third member of a trio is equal or stronger.

Kyurem's original form is also slightly weaker than Reshiram/Zekrom (660 Base Stat Total vs. 680)

X2 and Y2 may happen. The names actually make sense in a way (WARNING:MATH) I think of the 2's as exponents and X and Y as variables. Kinda makes sense right? Variables and exponents show up all the time in algebra.

Or maybe these math tests are getting to my head.

I don't think this will happen, just a interesting thing I thought of. I think that Z will happen because X/Y are the axes (yes, that is axis plural) of a 2D plane. To make it 3D, you have to add another axis, the Z axis. I'm in favor of Z, not direct sequels.

Last edited:
I think direct sequels like we saw with B2W2 would be interesting, but I'm not sure if it's as ideal this time. X and Y's plot didn't seem as strong as Black and White's, in Black and White, sequels made sense and flowed nicely because the story was deeper and there was more to tell and invest in. In XY however, there doesn't seem to be much more to delve into that couldn't be handled with a third version.

I'm not quite sure exactly. I wouldn't mind seeing sequels again myself, especially if they could improve both the storyline from X/Y and be better sequels than B2/W2 were. While those games were great and it was cool to see them do something different from the traditional third version games, not being planned out from the start hurt its own story a bit. If they planned for sequels this time around, that could help them work out a bit better. However, the storyline in X/Y doesn't really strike me as something that could use a sequel. Unlike with B/W, the storyline in X/Y seemed pretty resolved as it was and there weren't much of any difference between the two versions to warrant two separate sequels. A Z version feels too predictable, even though it would kind of fit with how X/Y were story-wise.

I like the idea of prequels since that would still be something different and could tie into the references to the past within the game. A third version that acts as a sequel to both games would be nice too. While I never had much of a problem with the traditional third version games, I like how it isn't such an obvious outcome anymore. A Z version is possible, but it isn't a guarantee, especially when people thought we'd get Gray after B/W and we got sequels instead. It makes it more interesting to speculate and it makes me more eager to hear what announcement they'll have for the next game, or games, in the main series.

I'm going to plug my vote for something different. Throughout the game, there are references to a "far away region" that isn't Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnnoh, or Unova by a backpacker. Shauna also mentions that she wants to go to a "faraway region next time". Given these references, and the relatively low number of new Kalos pokemon (69?!), I think we'll have a new region. Besides, there's the rumors of new pokemon (Diance, Volcanion) that don't look like legendaries that aren't available in game. I think they'll feature with another new 50 or so Pokemon in a companion region to Kalos.

While it's debatable whether Mega Evos really count as new Pokemon, adding all the new Megas to the actual number of new Pokemon gets you just over 100, which is about par for even-numbered generations. I don't think we need 50 more species, especially since we have hundreds of them from the previous games still. That growth has to slow down sometime.

And Diancie, Volcanion and Hoopa totally look like legendaries.

And Diancie, Volcanion and Hoopa totally look like legendaries.
There have never been truly-event-exclusive nonlegendaries. BW1 had Zorua, but in BW2 you got one for free and in XY you can catch wild Zoroarks yourself.

I'm hoping we get something that is its own game, with its own region (that may or may not be connected to Kalos geographically), because I don't want to play through an improved version of the same story again. That would just be a step back, IMO.

Yeah, it would be a whole lot better to have something connected to Kalos (like neighboring) for the third game instead of just changes and additions to the same region. Like the main features of Kalos would be in that region, and even a storyline connection between the two without physically going to the Kalos Region again in the third game. This would make it different from GSC/HGSS because of that. For some reason, getting Sequels/third improved version of previous games doesn't ever get me too excited about going through the improved game.

For the record, the unknown region referenced in XY is said to be far from Kalos, and the Strange Souvenir implies that said region has at least a few exclusive Pokémon. I doubt that we'll see this region before 2016 (all the event legendaries need to be distributed first), and Zygarde probably wouldn't exist if Game Freak had no future plans for Kalos.

Ange said:
I'm hoping we get something that is its own game, with its own region (that may or may not be connected to Kalos geographically), because I don't want to play through an improved version of the same story again. That would just be a step back, IMO.
Sadly, it would hardly be a step back, as even B2W2 recycled old content. It is easy for Game Freak to re-tread a recently introduced region.

Just an idea if there was a sequel:

You start in a town in Mountain Kalos and you get your starter Pokemon there from Shauna. The gym leader order is reversed (since you start at Mountain Kalos). Team Flare is now run by the four female scientists and they plan to use the energy from Xerneas (in X2, they use some of the remaining energy from the cannon) to give Team Flare internal life then use the energy from Yveltal (in Y2, they use some of the remaining enery from the cannon) to destroy everything else. You get Zygarde and use him against Xerneas (Y2) or Yveltal (X2) with its new form. After you defeat them, they then leave. After the elite four you battle the Champion which is the player from X and Y (if you use memory link it'll be how you designed the player character and its name and the second time you face him he'll use the Pokemon in his current party when you did the memory link). After that you can capture Xerneas (Y2) or Yveltal (X2) and their is a larger aftermath area to explore.

I reckon the souvenir item is a hint for Gen VII.

It's too hard to tell at this point, but I would simply prefer a single game like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum.

Release Date for next game?

So yeah i've played through and Beat Pokemon x once and Pokemon Y twice now, just sitting here waiting on Pokemon bank and Poke Transporter.(and waiting and waiting)

Anyway i've been thinking about whats next in store for us now that the Main series has finally made its way to the 3DS. Most people think it could be a 3rd installment most are calling it "Pokemon Z" or it could be a new set of games set in Kalos a few years later "Pokemon X2/Pokemon Y2)" We could even see a remake of a past gen most people are thinking if they do a remake it will most likely be a remake of Ruby and Sapphire.

Looking at the past i'm almost 100% certain that we aren't finished with Gen 6 and will atleast see 1 more game before gen 7.

Here are the release dates of the past(English release dates)

Red/Blue-September 1998
Yellow-October 1999
Gold/Silver-October 2000
Crystal-July 2001
Ruby/Sapphire-March 2003
Fire Red/Leaf Green-September 2004
Emerald-May 2005
Diamond/Pearl-April 2007
Platinum-March 2009
Heart Gold/Soul Silver-March 2010
Black/White-March 2011
Black 2/White 2-October 2012
X/Y-October 2013

Gamefreak has managed to get a main series games out every year since Pokemon Platinum in 2009 which is pretty sweet.

This is my guess for the next games

Pokemon Z(Early December 2014)

Ruby/Sapphire Remakes(Mid October 2015).

2016 will see a 1 year break from Pokemon while Gamefreak decides if Gen 7 will stay on the 3DS or whatever nintendos next handheld is.

What do u guys think will see next? When do u think it will be Released?

Back
Top Bottom