• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
My money's definitely on sequels like Generation V. I predict versions XZ and YZ. Although, the prequel idea seems interesting.

All I can say is to think twice before referring to Pokemon Z. Look at what happened to the Gray Version everyone was so sure about ;)

I originally thought a third version was likely. But then again, we were all certain that there was gonna be a Pokemon Grey Version back in Gen V and then Game Freak just blew everybody's minds when they announced they were actually making sequels. So honestly I really don't know what to expect.

NO MORE THIRD GAMES, PLEASE. They're the biggest swindle Game Freak can do.

Even before 6th gen's reveal I thought of, "Well why can't the third game be a sequel? (Well, okay, money, but still...)

The assumption on upcoming third games is that they aren't sequels, and well, it makes sense to assume that. In any case, the earliest gen they could've made a sequel, though, would be 2nd gen- Crystal could've been made a sequel of Gold and Silver instead of an enhanced version of Gold and Silver. If I recall correctly, the storyline was simple enough in Gold and Silver that one could easily make a sequel called Crystal that could be played straight after Gold or straight after Silver.

They could say they're releasing a Pokemon Z (or, Q *shrugs*- the thought popped into my mind), make older fans think it's an enhanced X and Y, and then later reveal that it's a sequel after all. (Of course, this line of thought would be targeting older fans, but yeah.)

I wonder how complex the storyline of X and Y could get without having contradictory elements between the two that would make one sequel make zero sense. It's likely, though, that'd mean having both mascots available in the game, which doesn't have proof of coming back.

I think Z and W would be sequels, but I'm not too sure. Z could also be a third version. W could be a prequel. I doubt they'd do anything besides sequels/third version.

I'm not sure how I feel.
On one hand, I think a sister game like Z would be too similar to the originals (something, which in hindsight, I somewhat feel was a weakness with Crystal, Emerald and Platinum) and I think paired sequels could possibly be a bit much.

Maybe a (singular) sequel that revolves around the legendary Pokemon that would be featured in Z, with enough changes to make it feel like a fresh adventure?

EDIT: I think my main wish is that, if they do make a game like Z, is that it be different enough from the original pair to feel like a fresh adventure, not just a re-hash with some extra content and story refinement thrown in. That was one thing that Gen V did right IMO.

Last edited:
Guys, I've figured out what the third version stand-in will be.

You see, after X and Y come out, we'll get Z as a follow-up... followed by W as a separate release. You see, this generation will be mirroring the Japanese release pattern of Gen I: The original pair followed by an Updated Rerelease (or sequel, or what have you), followed by a version of the game's story based on the anime. (To facilitate this, Ash's new outfit will be an original one rather than based on X-guy's, and the new female companion will be an OC rather than based on a game character, so they can be used as W's unique P Cs.) Z's mascot will be the serpent as we've all guessed, and W's will be based on Yggdrasil itself. In the english versions, a bit of extra emphasis will be put on the fact that Yggdrasil is, in fact, an ash tree.

... I should probably go to bed now.

After BW2, I feel as though third versions are a thing of the past now. I also suspect that there will inevitably be a Z (or some sort of variation of Z) version released later on, but I think that it will be a sequel, rather than a third version. I'm also really liking the idea of a W version acting as a prequel to the games, as it would be another way to expand upon the series. Hopefully we'll see both, or perhaps something completely unexpected. Though it's far too early to really speculate on anything after XY, considering they were just announced.

Personally, I'd like to see them make sequels again, but this time instead of using numbers, they'd name the versions Pokemon XX and Pokemon XY. See where I'm going with this?

There is enough reasons backing both sides of the arguement. That said, the axis pun is incomplete without Z, and the gender reference is essentially already finished.

I think a 3rd version is inevitable; however, I don't believe we'll be getting two sequels like we did with B2W2.

The 3rd mascot is rumored to be some sort of underground dragon or serpent creature?

I'm gonna throw something out here: A third game (Z), but instead of third games of the past, it will be something similar to BW2 (new plot and all that).

Aaaaand..... Here's a wild pitch! The Z mascot Pokémon will not be obtainable in X or Y.

That would be super cruel and a new low for Game Freak!

Btw, I heard that 3DS games cannot be hacked. Does that mean we won't know all the Pokemon in the games until we discover them or Nintendo announces them?

Guys, I've figured out what the third version stand-in will be.

You see, after X and Y come out, we'll get Z as a follow-up... followed by W as a separate release. You see, this generation will be mirroring the Japanese release pattern of Gen I: The original pair followed by an Updated Rerelease (or sequel, or what have you), followed by a version of the game's story based on the anime. (To facilitate this, Ash's new outfit will be an original one rather than based on X-guy's, and the new female companion will be an OC rather than based on a game character, so they can be used as W's unique P Cs.) Z's mascot will be the serpent as we've all guessed, and W's will be based on Yggdrasil itself. In the english versions, a bit of extra emphasis will be put on the fact that Yggdrasil is, in fact, an ash tree.

... I should probably go to bed now.
Dunno if it's the lack of sleep talking or what, but I actually like the sound of this. Can't say I think the chances are good, but yeah, I'd be down with that.

Btw, I heard that 3DS games cannot be hacked. Does that mean we won't know all the Pokemon in the games until we discover them or Nintendo announces them?
Because this looks like a much different engine (not D/P based, which had been used for ages and in itself was a modification of R/S) they might have to reverse-engineer most of everything again, which will take a while.

However, text generally is easy to find, and because the games are preassumbly compatible with Gen V we have an idea of how the tables look. And previous' pokémon data to figure out.

So at least their names and some details like stats will still be found early.

To make this post more relevant to the discussion... From my understanding, they can't add pokémon not already present in the games, even if as placeholders, mid-gen without some absurdly complex planning. Without counting compatibility issues.

So this means there are low chances for new pokémon in the successor of XY as well. When all the pokémon are known, anything new will have to come from either new forms again, or indeed, by making the next games' new pokémon not only unobtainable but outright incompatible with X and Y.

I voted Others, mainly because I hope they do the friggin' remakes after this. Hoenn needs some love, as does Dunsparce!! DUNSPARCE IS UNDERRATED!!! (stupidly screams everywhere).
But seriously, Hoenn in 3D would be wonderful. And after that, the third version: Pokémon Z. Or sequels. Or whatever that work better.

That would be super cruel and a new low for Game Freak!

Honestly, I'm really hoping that a hypothetical "Pokemon Z" is handled via DLC and is not obtainable until its own time comes. That way, Game Freak can stop with the new forme thing to make a Pokemon seem new to us when its not.

They can make references to it here and there to build up its myth, and keeping it hidden makes it more mysterious and interesting.

It depends on the story, really. If it's a plot that seems to need sequels, it should get sequels. If a connector game would be better, then it should get that. It's really too early for speculation, with zero plot info and five Pokémon.

Though, as to what I want, I'd like a connector game. Not only would it complete the 3D axis thing if the game was titled Pokémon Z, I hope they'd use it to to unify two parallel plots. And of course, prequels, being a fresh idea, would be very, very welcome. Perhaps covering the events between B2/W2 and XY, or a journey to the ancient past to flesh out the plot's background.

Back
Top Bottom