• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
Guys, I've figured out what the third version stand-in will be.

You see, after X and Y come out, we'll get Z as a follow-up... followed by W as a separate release. You see, this generation will be mirroring the Japanese release pattern of Gen I: The original pair followed by an Updated Rerelease (or sequel, or what have you), followed by a version of the game's story based on the anime. (To facilitate this, Ash's new outfit will be an original one rather than based on X-guy's, and the new female companion will be an OC rather than based on a game character, so they can be used as W's unique P Cs.) Z's mascot will be the serpent as we've all guessed, and W's will be based on Yggdrasil itself. In the english versions, a bit of extra emphasis will be put on the fact that Yggdrasil is, in fact, an ash tree.

... I should probably go to bed now.
Dunno if it's the lack of sleep talking or what, but I actually like the sound of this. Can't say I think the chances are good, but yeah, I'd be down with that.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like it... or maybe I just like the pun. :D

Oh, and the new girl would have a name that means or relates to "tree". Because more pun.

Guys, I've figured out what the third version stand-in will be.

You see, after X and Y come out, we'll get Z as a follow-up... followed by W as a separate release. You see, this generation will be mirroring the Japanese release pattern of Gen I: The original pair followed by an Updated Rerelease (or sequel, or what have you), followed by a version of the game's story based on the anime. (To facilitate this, Ash's new outfit will be an original one rather than based on X-guy's, and the new female companion will be an OC rather than based on a game character, so they can be used as W's unique P Cs.) Z's mascot will be the serpent as we've all guessed, and W's will be based on Yggdrasil itself. In the english versions, a bit of extra emphasis will be put on the fact that Yggdrasil is, in fact, an ash tree.

... I should probably go to bed now.
Dunno if it's the lack of sleep talking or what, but I actually like the sound of this. Can't say I think the chances are good, but yeah, I'd be down with that.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like it... or maybe I just like the pun. :D

Oh, and the new girl would have a name that means or relates to "tree". Because more pun.
...I like the way you think. Name related to trees, huh? Ooh! How about Hazel?

I believe there will be something more like a 3rd game,I dont know, maybe Pokemon XY I guess, with an awesome cool looking legendary depending on these two legendaries.

My guess is that they release DLC to compensate for a third version. That way, they're free to release sequels, which are better off as new games.

I'm not too fond of paid DLC, but if it's that or a third version I'll take the DLC any day, seeing how GF have always dropped content from the main pair and added it back in the third/sequel (Frontier/something, tutors, etc.). Of course, I still think that a lot of this should be in the game from day one, but coming from a realistic point of view, that's not going to happen.

Btw, I heard that 3DS games cannot be hacked. Does that mean we won't know all the Pokemon in the games until we discover them or Nintendo announces them?

It can, though there's not much progress as of now anyways.

They'll have to make a Z version. X, Y, and Z are names of axes, and they are more than likely references to the advancement in Pokemon's history, as the previous games are two-dimensional.

I'm betting on sequels, called Pokémon XZ and YW. That way, not only do they keep following the Genes theme (ZW are the chromosomes for some species), but also the coordinates theme with Z = Third Dimension and W = Fourth Dimension.

I think it'd be cool if they did a prequel for Pokémon W version, since W comes before X & Y, and a third version for Z. That'd be cool, and not unprecedented. They released Emerald only after making FrLg, which is kind of a similar situation. Also, W is used to denote the time dimension, so it would make sense for W to be in the past (time difference) but Z to be the same time frame as XY, but just from a different perspective perhaps.

I'm betting on sequels, called Pokémon XZ and YW. That way, not only do they keep following the Genes theme (ZW are the chromosomes for some species), but also the coordinates theme with Z = Third Dimension and W = Fourth Dimension.

That would be weird on the Chromosomes front, thought, because Z & W chromosomes don't interact with X & Y ones; they're completely different systems. Unless of course some evilutionary science is involved in the plot for Gen VI sequels i.e. Pokémon X² follows the villain as they attempt to fuse X's legend with Pokémon Z, to form a mutant, and the same for Y² and Pokémon W. But that would totally rip off BW2, really.

Prequels probably, if not sequels. Definitely not third versions though. And the games will probably be called XZ and YZ, to satisfy the 3D coordinate plane.

I guess we can have Z be a sequel like someone else said but I'd be fine with two sequel or a sequel and a prequel.

If Z's the name of whatever main adventure comes next for Gen VI, and it's a sequel, they might as well call it a "Z-quel." =D Not sure if that's been thought of before. (Oh wait, some people will have read that as "zed-quel", not "zee-quel." Never mind.)

Of course, like I said before, X and Y would have to be similar enough that a lone sequel game can make sense after playing either. (I'm not sure if they'd have the option of the player choosing an X version sequel or a Y version sequel. If they did they'd probably rather make two games.) A third game that is a sequel's what I'd hope for though.

I'm hoping for a single sequel/prequel based game. Not that W2/B2 were bad, but I ultimately felt that making 2 separate sequels was unnecessary, and felt like just an easy way to cash in. Wouldn't be surprised if they went with the 2 sequels for the rest of the series, although I'd be highly disappointed.

That's just my opinion though. As for what they should do...who knows? Kinda hard to say when we don't know how similar or different X/Y will be, or when the take place.

Has no one pointed out the ridiculousness of wanting a prequel for an unreleased game? Especially a planned prequel?

Think of it this way, we played BW2 before BW. There's a lot of things we don't understand, like, who in the world is this N guy? Why do people keep referencing this other character whenever they see me? In short, its a game deliberately left with holes to be filled in with a prequel. But that's the thing, if you planned a prequel in the first place, why didn't you release that first? Other than, of course, trying to make it look like you did something "new" because you released a third-version disguised as a sequel already.

If they're going to do a prequel, then I'd say do a prequel for RBY following Prof. Oak's adventures. Or a side-series game that chronicles the creation of Mewtwo (if the movies are at all indicative of its possible role in the games), rather than deliberately baiting us with incomplete information.

Nope, X and Y are likely going to be the main games for the entire gen with possible suplementary remakes. There is literally no excuse for new games with the advent of the 3DS, DLC from here on out is the only reasonable and justified means. I do not care even if people see it as a diminishing thing to do to those that cannot link their 3DS to the internet, I simply don't even care. Even more would be releasing said DLC on a new cart for those who can't because then its even ruder.

I think a cross between a 3rd game and sequels, so the 3rd game as such serves as a sequel to the first pair, so whichever game you play, the story carries on in Z and any version-exclusive data or personal information can be carried over like the Memory Links did in B2/W2, would be a possibly interesting idea.

I'm not explaining myself very well, but you get the jist of it.

I hope they don't make third versions. Those games (Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) were the biggest swindles EVER. I got infuriated when I bought Diamond and literally a week later Platinum was announced. Platinum would have mostly everything both Diamond and Pearl had plus more things. They just try to make you buy the same game (in a sense) twice.

Since the Japanese logos prove that this is (unless they are going for multiple meanings) a genetics generation, I'm willing to bet they will use Z and W somehow.

I would say have a sequel called Z AND a prequel called W, but thinking realistically, I doubt they'd do both.

I got infuriated when I bought Diamond and literally a week later Platinum was announced.

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but didn't you see it coming? I mean there has always been a third version, ever since the first generation

I think that a prequel would be awesome. But I really can't say that until the games actually come out.

For X and Y, there will be a third version, but unlike previous third versions, this will be a sequel (merging the end story from X and Y) instead of just making more extra elements or making a.paired sequels (like B2W2). For sequels, I'm hoping for paired futuristic Ruby and Sapphire sequels (imagine Ruby 2 and Sapphire 2).

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but didn't you see it coming? I mean there has always been a third version, ever since the first generation

Not actually :| I never thought Platinum would be the fraud it was (fraud as in how useless it made Diamond and Pearl after its release). I had never played Crystal or Emerald so I didn't know they were that similar to the paired games. If I had known, I wouldn't have bought Diamond.

I'm not sure, since the games haven't even come out yet, so I don't see how can we speculate a prequel OR a sequel to a game that may not warrant one or the other. So I'm only going to think about that in full after the games are released.

Back
Top Bottom