• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
I wouldn't mind if GameFreak did make a Pokémon X2 and Pokémon Y2 sequel pair, but if they did I hope they do it a lot better than Black 2 and White 2. As we know, B2W2's existence stemmed from Iwata wanting something unique as opposed to Masuda's third version pair idea. I believe that if XY's story is made with the thought of expansion in mind, we could get a really good story that doesn't feel like it was just tacked onto the end of an already complete story (like B2W2's was). I wouldn't be surprised if GameFreak go back to making a third version, but I hope they don't.

Personally, I'd like it if X and Y had separate stories, with the next Generation VI game being the bridge between the two. For example, the protagonist and story of X would be separate, but it would take place in the same region as and have references to the events of Y (and vice versa), but a hypothetical Z covers yet another new protagonist as they begin their journey during (or just after) the events of XY and brings them together for the climax. Sort of like Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald on steroids.

I like this idea.

I think, though, that for the sake of being aloof, Game Freak will have to be more creative with a third version than just Pokemon Z. The third installment's title is even more predictable this generation than it was last's, so ultimately I'm expecting something new and fresh. That being said, there's no reason for Game Freak to save for originality at the cost of a quality storyline; if Pokemon Z is fitting and can be done well then I wouldn't mind the predictability.

I really hope that the absence of a grey version was a sign that pokemon had moved past third versions. I really hate the concept behind them, with cool new features but the exact same story/gameplay as the pair.

I don't think we'll have sequels though, just because that's just been done.

I'm kind of expecting x/y, and then straight to gen 7 2 or so years down the road.

I really hope that the absence of a grey version was a sign that pokemon had moved past third versions. I really hate the concept behind them, with cool new features but the exact same story/gameplay as the pair.

I don't think we'll have sequels though, just because that's just been done.

I'm kind of expecting x/y, and then straight to gen 7 2 or so years down the road.

I'm with you. Probably (emphasis on ""PROBABLY") remakes, but I'm not counting on them either.

I don't think anything like that will happen, I reckon X and Y will be the last main series Pokémon games for a while.

I don't think anything like that will happen, I reckon X and Y will be the last main series Pokémon games for a while.

I hope you're right. We've had main games for 3 years in a row now, I'd like a break.

I hope you're right. We've had main games for 3 years in a row now, I'd like a break.
That is generally how things go though; there's only a larger gap after the start of a new generation. For example:
Red, Green and Blue (1996) -> Yellow (1998) -> Gold & Silver (1999) -> Crystal (2000) -> Ruby & Sapphire (2002) -> FireRed & LeafGreen (2004) -> Emerald (2004) -> Diamond & Pearl (2006) -> Platinum (2008) -> HeartGold & SoulSilver (2009) -> Black & White (2010) -> Black 2 & White 2 (2012) -> X & Y (2013).

So aside from the gaps between Crystal and RS, as well as Emerald and DP, we've seen new generations start the year after one finishes (so 3/5 of the time), with an extra year gap between the primary pair and the next games. So it stands to reason that the next main series game won't be released until 2015 anyway. Considering how the only larger gaps have been in generations with a jump to more powerful hardware, I'm actually quite impressed that XY are coming out this year. I'm guessing the reason for it is how recently, the higher up staff have always focused on primary pairs. For example, Junichi Masuda directed both Pokémon Crystal and Pokémon Emerald, as well as Ruby & Sapphire and Diamond & Pearl. However, HeartGold & SoulSilver were directed by Shigeki Morimoto, while Black 2 & White 2 were directed by Takao Unno.

Especially with DLC, Nintendo and Game Freak can really drag this generation out without even needing a third version. I have a feeling that this generation will last much longer than those in the past for that very reason.

As long as the DLC has a high quality then I wouldn't mind it by any means.

So, what's next in Gen 6?

I know its early, but hear me out on this one. With the kalos map, fpr a week or so I've been thinking: outside of the clouded areas, the region for all intents and purposes is complete. Only one sliver of land west of starting town. Then I thought about the fact that GF is against DLC.
Where I'm going with this is simple. With GF abstaining from paid DLC, a 3rd game seems kind of backwards, but meanwhile sequels aren't exactly viable either, as mentioned above Kalos isn't exactly Unova in terms of empty space. And thete is my question:
With both means seemingly a dead end this tgen, what else can they do? Or better yet, not do. Maybe even gen 6 is the start of one pair for one gen, or perhaps even regions and new Pokemon aren't exclusive to the start of a new gen anymore. Discuss!

Re: So, what's next in Gen 6?

If Game Freak abandon the concept of sequels/third versions then...
It's time

47505-pok%C3%A9mon-radiant-ruby-shiny-sapphire.png

Pokémon Z/X2 & Y2 on the Wii U

Alot of people myself included think the third version of Pokemon X & Y will be a Wii U exclucive why? because the Wii U has connectivity with the 3DS, GBA games are coming to the Wii U éshop, and Nintendo/Gamefreak has been public about Pokemon lately i mean X & Y are going to be at E3 which is something that hasn't been done since Gold and Silver also the Wii U is a powerful console(not as powerful as the PS4 but certainly more powerful than the PS3 and 360) so imagine Pokemon in next-gen cel shaded graphics :smokin:

Thoughts?

Re: Pokémon Z/X2 & Y2 on the Wii U

I really hope not. I'd like to keep the third version, or whatever comes after X/Y, on the 3DS, instead of having to buy a Wii U to play it. They save Pokemon spin-off titles for their console system, so I don't think that they would make a main series game exclusive to the Wii U.

I agree that it's too early to call, we'll have to wait until the games come out before we can say for sure. But I think the concept of a traditional third version is pretty much dead at this point, as any of the changes that could be made could be done with either sequels or DLC. And I think if they do decide to make sequels again, they need to be smarter about how they do it. BW2 was great in concept, but I feel it was pretty poor in execution because they seem to have failed to take into account the balancing issues that came about when they changed the storyline path. This is quite evident when you take into account the Pokemon distribution, which is skewed much more towards areas that weren't accessible during the main storyline in BW1, and also the fact that the Day Care is post game in BW2. Whatever changes they make need to take timing into account. Also, I don't feel like many of the changes in storyline path were very worthwhile either. Half of the game followed the exact same path as BW1, at the exact same time as BW1. This makes BW2 feel a bit too samey. If they want to make the storyline path more worthwhile, they should try something more radical, like if you fought Skyla as the first gym leader or something.

Considering how the only larger gaps have been in generations with a jump to more powerful hardware, I'm actually quite impressed that XY are coming out this year. I'm guessing the reason for it is how recently, the higher up staff have always focused on primary pairs. For example, Junichi Masuda directed both Pokémon Crystal and Pokémon Emerald, as well as Ruby & Sapphire and Diamond & Pearl. However, HeartGold & SoulSilver were directed by Shigeki Morimoto, while Black 2 & White 2 were directed by Takao Unno.

It's because of timing in regards to the 3DS' launch. Game Freak didn't get the devkit for the 3DS until around the time BW1 came out, so they've been working on this game for a few years while 5th gen was essentially a filler generation. Honestly, I wasn't surprised by XY's sudden reveal, I feel like we should've moved on to the 3DS a year or two ago.

Then I thought about the fact that GF is against DLC.
I've seen no proof of this. A Google search only yields multiple threads (from different forums) where Serebii has been spreading this claim, but he was unable to give me a source when I asked him about it. I imagine that the issue of DLC will be addressed at E3.

Then I thought about the fact that GF is against DLC.
I've seen no proof of this. A Google search only yields multiple threads (from different forums) where Serebii has been spreading this claim, but he was unable to give me a source when I asked him about it. I imagine that the issue of DLC will be addressed at E3.
If they were against DLC, then can someone please explain Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect?

GameFreak were doing DLC before it was cool.

If they were against DLC, then can someone please explain Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect?

Serebii claims that they're against paid DLC "because it's unfair to players". I fail to see how making us pay for recycled content was fair.

Doesn't that simply mean that all DLC well get in the future will actually be free or am I just being optimistic?

The only kind of DLC that I imagine we might have to pay for is massive updates like the kind you'd find in third versions or completely new story plots like BW2. If it came to that, it likely wouldn't be that much (hopefully) and is much better than having to pay for a full on game with that stuff.

Even then, it could still all be free DLC issued out over time. When you combine all the possible "updates" it would amount to the paired versions equaling a third version in new content. It doesn't make any sense to me for Game Freak to be against this idea or at least they might have considered it. Traditional third versions should become obsolete with DLC as an alternative.

Serebii claims that they're against paid DLC "because it's unfair to players". I fail to see how making us pay for recycled content was fair.

Who says DLC has to be recycled content? They could give us a Sevii Islands type place, fill it with a bunch of Pokemon that can't be caught elsewhere in XY, and even give it a mini storyline, then it'd be worth paying a few bucks for.

Guys, I've figured out what the third version stand-in will be.

You see, after X and Y come out, we'll get Z as a follow-up... followed by W as a separate release. You see, this generation will be mirroring the Japanese release pattern of Gen I: The original pair followed by an Updated Rerelease (or sequel, or what have you), followed by a version of the game's story based on the anime. (To facilitate this, Ash's new outfit will be an original one rather than based on X-guy's, and the new female companion will be an OC rather than based on a game character, so they can be used as W's unique P Cs.) Z's mascot will be the serpent as we've all guessed, and W's will be based on Yggdrasil itself. In the english versions, a bit of extra emphasis will be put on the fact that Yggdrasil is, in fact, an ash tree.

... I should probably go to bed now.
Dunno if it's the lack of sleep talking or what, but I actually like the sound of this. Can't say I think the chances are good, but yeah, I'd be down with that.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like it... or maybe I just like the pun. :D

Oh, and the new girl would have a name that means or relates to "tree". Because more pun.

I like this idea. It could be called pokemon W, and when people ask what the W is for, we say, It stands for Wumbo

Making us travel across the country to download a Pokémon was more unfair, but they've been doing that for 17 years xD.

Who says DLC has to be recycled content? They could give us a Sevii Islands type place, fill it with a bunch of Pokemon that can't be caught elsewhere in XY, and even give it a mini storyline, then it'd be worth paying a few bucks for.
I think Silktree was referring to third versions when he mentioned "recycled content".

Back
Top Bottom