• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
Would be nice if we had a sequence in the history of Hoenn, rather than a remake, as with the classic generations I-II and III-IV (remakes of the original games). But i'm not really anxious about it...

On the other hand, the presence of Mewtwo awakens a feeling, an utopic fan wish, that we may see their story better outlined, perhaps through a new visit to Kanto or more direct references.

I haven't played the games yet, but seeing the complaints on the lack of new Gen6 pokemon and too much Gen1 kanto pokemon, I'm thinking of waiting to see if they might release a third version like Platinum - with an expanded dex that tones down the overglorifying of kanto pokemon.

Or even better - Hoenn remakes ♥

Pokemon Z, duh.

There's already a third legendary in the shape of the letter.

Pokemon Z Theory...

As we all know there is usually a third port to Pokémon Games, the exceptions being XY which had sequels rather than a modified third and Red and Green which had Blue and Yellow in Japan. Now with Gen 6 having only around 70 new Pokémon it leads me to a suspicion.

Maybe with the third port this time around they will have exclusive Pokémon to that game that only appear in that game in order to push the connectivity element of Pokémon. To date they have always released around 100 Pokémon with Generation 3 having the least. Just the thought of only 70 Pokémon leads me to this suspicion. I believe the likely "Pokémon Z" third port will have not only new Mega Evolutions as it is more than likely, but additional Gen 6 Pokémon that we haven't seen yet.

While I have no proof of this, it is something they would do as they've been wanting to push connectivity and it seems logical. It would also give them the time to tweak any remaining Pokémon that they've been working on. This is just theory and speculation, but its something that has been on my mind since I was told the number of Pokémon in the game.

Tell me what you think of this theory... I'd like to know what others are thinking and what your theories are on the likely "Pokémon Z".

Re: Pokemon Z Theory...

I can't see them having that much faith in the 3DS being 'unhackable' to have a considerable amount of new Pokemon just sitting on the XY carts - which they would need to have so that they would have compatibility. I know there's the prospect of just patching in new Pokemon to XY or DLC - but that would cause problems for people who haven't got their 3DS online - could you imagine needing to download a big patch file over to another 3DS just to play a local battle?

I think there's one or two more legendaries and a few unfound Mega Evolutions (the other Hoenn starters at least) - but those will be in XY, even if they aren't unlocked/found until a third version.

I'm sure there are some Pokemon (event legends) lurking in the XY games, people just have to get their fingers out and get to work on reading the code.
I personally couldn't do it, but for those with the know how, how hard can it be just to read the code in the games? I see Serebii has already got all the 3D models on his site, surely he has got them from somewhere, ie people hacking the games and getting the images from there like they did with Sprites.

But I don't think Z will contain ones that are only on that card.
Nintendo have got lazy, they know people will buy these games no matter what, so why put in any effort?
Yes they will lose some credibility among non die hards, but the ship in sinking anyway who cares if it goes a little quicker.
They've all got their pension plans and don't care about the long term future of Pokemon. If anything some times I think they want it to end.

Also the anime will be dull as hell, with only 70 new Pokes to showcase over 140+ episodes get ready for lots and lots of fillers, and old Pokemon being featured.

Okay, let's go first to the technical aspect of any Pokemon Game in recent generations.

The first two games in Gen 4 and 5 had around 128 MB of space occupied in a 514 (If I'm not mistaken) MB space for the DS. It's roughly 1/4 of the maximum space of any DS game - it was around 128 MB for DP, BW. Then the third games - data were doubled with of course, better gameplay, improvements and so on.

This generation only has 1.7 GB space occupied over an 8 GB maximum space for any 3DS game. For a game that has incredible graphics and extensive gameplay, That's just roughly 1/4th of the entire maximum space. With other games reaching 4 -5 MB, there could honestly be tons of extra gameplay, new pokemon, even an all version exclusive set of Pokemon that could be added to the game.

Your theory is indeed logical in terms of what' you're saying.

Next would be the story. The story of XY revolves around "beauty of the world", which is heavily implied - touching points of destruction, reincarnation or eternity and order. Both a prequel leading to why there came an extinction of Pokemon in XY or a sequel leading to a mass migration of other Pokemons from other "Poke-Regions" could honestly happen. Considering Gamefreak popped up a big surprise with Black and White, they can honestly do that in terms of the 3DS capability.

Third would be, I'm honestly excited for Pokemon's 20th year anniversary - February 2016. I won't be surprised they'll create Generation remakes first, then surprise us with Gen 6.5 - another European region with other Pokemon, connected to Kalos. In fact, this could wildly happen considering Pokemon will honestly do a celebration for the success of X and Y. Never have I seen such clamor and revival of interest to a Pokemon game such as these two.

Just my two cents. While I'm excited for Pokemon Z, I'm quite waiting for the day the next games are released :)

I'm sure there are some Pokemon (event legends) lurking in the XY games, people just have to get their fingers out and get to work on reading the code.
I personally couldn't do it, but for those with the know how, how hard can it be just to read the code in the games? I see Serebii has already got all the 3D models on his site, surely he has got them from somewhere, ie people hacking the games and getting the images from there like they did with Sprites.

Nintendo have got lazy, they know people will buy these games no matter what, so why put in any effort?
Yes they will lose some credibility among non die hards, but the ship in sinking anyway who cares if it goes a little quicker.
They've all got their pension plans and don't care about the long term future of Pokemon. If anything some times I think they want it to end.

Also the anime will be dull as hell, with only 70 new Pokes to showcase over 140+ episodes get ready for lots and lots of fillers, and old Pokemon being featured.

I find it both strange and hilarious that you assume code reading is easy straight after you admitted that you couldn't do it yourself. Your post has abandoned all sense of logic with that sentence.

Why is Nintendo lazy? Gamefreak are the ones who create the games, not Nintendo. If you need to complain that badly, atleast take the time to accuse the correct company. Now that that has been corrected, why is Gamefreak lazy? Because they created less Pokemon than usual? Perhaps this will be an ongoing thing. Perhaps they feel they have reached the point where they now have enough Pokemon that they can now start introducing less with every new generation.

I can totally imagine Gamefreak wanting to discontinue Pokemon. Who wouldn't want to discontinue one of the most universally recognised gaming series in History, that is as popular now as it ever has been? Who wouldn't want to continue creating new games that continually bring them millions? If you cannot tell, I'm being sarcastic. If they wanted to discontinue Pokemon, they would discontinue Pokemon. Logic has been abandoned in that sentence too.

Finally, stop accusing Nintendo and/or Gamefreak of being lazy and no longer caring. They clearly put in a ton of effort into Pokemon X and Y and if you can't appreciate that, by all means continue drowning yourself in tears. I'm sure what Gamefreak really doesn't care about are fans who have nothing better to do than complain and insult them.

Ok this is off topic but nearly all your posts recently is you complaining and crying about how Gamefreak/Nintendo got lazy, saying that the mega evolutions are crap, saying that they ruined the type chart and saying that this will be the worst gen and yet you bought the game... you bought a game that you defintely think you are not going to like...

Ontopic: There will be defintely a Z version or sequels, doubt GF will break the tradition.

Last edited:
Probably a Z version. Especially with Zygarde. I mean BW2 were to make the last DS games exciting. Unless we get a 4DS or whatever next year, there is no need.

What if 'Z' is a sequel? Perhaps because of the Natural Order (Zygarde's concept) becoming broken by the Ultimate Weapon, some Pokemon become mutated, some Pokemon are drawn to Kalos and some new Mega Stones are uncovered. Like Furfrou gets mutated, so it gains an Evo, a few new Pokemon are released, some evos of old Pokemon, and some new Megas (like Mega Zoroark) and stuff. Also a few new towns and cities, and new outfits. And improved graphics, new music, edited GLs and their teams, etc.

X and Y could get the new outfits, new Pokemon and new Megas, but don't get the new cities and graphics and stuff, via DLC, like, a month later.

I'm thinking that the third game will be essentially two third games, being ZX and ZY, or XZ and YZ, or just Z, because X2 and Y2 seem too predictable.

Probably a Z version. Especially with Zygarde. I mean BW2 were to make the last DS games exciting. Unless we get a 4DS or whatever next year, there is no need.

What if 'Z' is a sequel? Perhaps because of the Natural Order (Zygarde's concept) becoming broken by the Ultimate Weapon, some Pokemon become mutated, some Pokemon are drawn to Kalos and some new Mega Stones are uncovered. Like Furfrou gets mutated, so it gains an Evo, a few new Pokemon are released, some evos of old Pokemon, and some new Megas (like Mega Zoroark) and stuff. Also a few new towns and cities, and new outfits. And improved graphics, new music, edited GLs and their teams, etc.

X and Y could get the new outfits, new Pokemon and new Megas, but don't get the new cities and graphics and stuff, via DLC, like, a month later.
I really like your idea here, though I doubt they would show new Evolutions until Gen 7, Mega Stones I can understand though (and Mega Zoroark sounds like it could be interesting) since previous third games always introduced new formes to older Pokemon, especially since I felt we got so few Mega Evolutions in the game, since about 90% of them were from Gen 1 and Gen 3 and Hoenn confirmed, with Gens 2 and 4 barely getting any (at least from what we've seen) and Gen 5 getting none at all (at least none we know of).

The sequels to X and Y

I have creates this thread for a discussion about the sequels to Pokemon X and Y.
The much awaited name and characteristics would be Pokemon Z.
Also as they have released the legendaries based on the letters- 'Xerneas' for 'X' and 'Yvelta'l for 'Y'.
The'Z' legendary 'Zygarde' has been found by players, also it was not diificult to find as it is found postgame in the terminus cave easily.
The reason why I mention easily is because if it really is the 'Z' legendary, they would have made it a mystery gift pokemon or a key item unlockable via mystery gift.
Also the 'Z' pokemon being able to be found in 'X' and 'Y' leads to new possibilities for a sequel.
They even might make it something like Kyurem merging with Xerneas and Yveltal.
Maybe it would be Pokemon Z or Like X2 and Y2 or even sequels would be like XZ and YZ or maybe they would not put a second installations and make the much awaited 'Hoenn Remake".
Comment your views below.

I think it'll be a third game again. Just because they deviated from it with Black / White, doesn't mean they'll do it again. (It's still possible, though. I just think there's more of a chance for a third game)
Not saying I'd like a third game better than a sequel / prequel, though!

I haven't played the games yet, but seeing the complaints on the lack of new Gen6 pokemon and too much Gen1 kanto pokemon, I'm thinking of waiting to see if they might release a third version like Platinum - with an expanded dex that tones down the overglorifying of kanto pokemon.

But, past third version games were compatible with the original 2. So if a third version was released, I doubt they'd add MORE new Pokemon, since then it wouldn't work with X and Y
The Pokedex as it is in the game is already HUGE, so I doubt they'll be "expanding" it. And I also cant see GF changing the Pokedex around in a third version.

Re: The sequels to X and Y

I have creates this thread for a discussion about the sequels to Pokemon X and Y.
The much awaited name and characteristics would be Pokemon Z.
Also as they have released the legendaries based on the letters- 'Xerneas' for 'X' and 'Yvelta'l for 'Y'.
The'Z' legendary 'Zygarde' has been found by players, also it was not diificult to find as it is found postgame in the terminus cave easily.
The reason why I mention easily is because if it really is the 'Z' legendary, they would have made it a mystery gift pokemon or a key item unlockable via mystery gift.
Also the 'Z' pokemon being able to be found in 'X' and 'Y' leads to new possibilities for a sequel.
They even might make it something like Kyurem merging with Xerneas and Yveltal.
Maybe it would be Pokemon Z or Like X2 and Y2 or even sequels would be like XZ and YZ or maybe they would not put a second installations and make the much awaited 'Hoenn Remake".
Comment your views below.

Hmmmm? All third-game legendaries (Suicune, Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem) were able to be captured in the previous pairs' games without doing anything related to Mystery Gift, and all of them were rather easily found in a post-game location (other than Suicune, who was a roaming legendary in Gold & Silver). I'm pretty sure Zygarde is the "Z" of the XYZ trio, and if Game Freak decides to do a third game again, Zygarde is the likeliest candidate to be on the box.

But, past third version games were compatible with the original 2. So if a third version was released, I doubt they'd add MORE new Pokemon, since then it wouldn't work with X and Y
The Pokedex as it is in the game is already HUGE, so I doubt they'll be "expanding" it. And I also cant see GF changing the Pokedex around in a third version.

But like what Dark Kyriaki said, that's exactly what happened with Platinum--they added I think 50 more Pokémon to the regional dex, and there were no compatibility issues there. (There were some small problems with Forme changes, but those were handled by messing with the items that were required for said changes.) Like you said, I highly doubt they'll add more to the region Pokédex in the third game--but if they do add Pokémon to the regional 'Dex, as long as they add Pokémon that have already been released it should be fine in terms of communicating with XY.

My vote is for something completely different and I'm speculating on a Game of Life style board game. Which I actually think would be a lot of fun. :D (if something like this already exists I am unaware)

if there is a third version i hope sycamore instad of giving kanto starters give the johto ones, they are often ignored and that's just wrong

Is it too much to ask for a double agent professor who the players discovers is an admin or the leader of a criminal organization? Sycamore would have been perfect since he studies Mega Evolution and the subject is mentioned by Lysandre. This new feature to battling felt more like a placeholder than of actual importance to the story.

And look how bomb diggity he is in their uniform too!

tumblr_mvdvnzOjXW1rqdmn5o1_r1_500.png

Last edited:
I have this feeling, I can't quite place why, that we're going to be surprised by whatever follows X/Y. Perhaps a tangent generation E.G. generation 6.5: set in a new region but at almost the same time as x/y.

Imagine if in 6.5 you get to, say, the 3rd Gym town, and there's a mysterious red-headed man washed upon shore? after all, who's to say Lysandre perished in the explosion? Little incidental touches like meeting the backpacker/hotel patron just before he leaves his region before venturing to Kalos would be nice, too. I think this, coupled with some kind of software patch for x/y to update the Pokémon list(I'm sure if this scenario were to unfold then there would be, at the very least, some new formes and I doubt that now, with the software/hardware available, that GF would allow some pokémon to be unusabke with previous games in the same Gen), could be an interesting and fresh way to extend the current generation, one that many have already said has seemed to lack depth of new content(although I think that's just complacency tbh).

Opinions?

My Gen6 1.5

Ok, i know past gens 1.5 were pretty much the same game, that mixed the first 2 of that gens games together. gen 5 had two separate games following the first 2, 2 years later.

i present to you... Pokemon A, and Pokemon Z (this is a play on the character AZ, and also looking at the alphabet as a timeline)

AZ wants to take back everything that has happened in the last 3000 years, AZ finds Zygarde who also wants everything to return to order.
in A, the main character goes back in time to change things. (with the help of Dialga) after playing half the game in the past, you return to a 'fixed' Kalos region.
in Z, the main character travels to a separate region, to fix things between them and Kalos, (with the help of Palkia) after that, you return to the same Kalos as in Pokemon A.

Pokemon A
takes place in Kalos, 3000 years in the past
looks like Pokemon Conquest but plays like Pokemon XY
storylines include, AZ backstory, the Kalos war, Shabboneau Castle, origin and backstory of the Sundial/Mega Stones
adds about 30 new pokemon (some species became extinct after the war) plus mega evolutions.

Pokemon Z
takes place around the same time as XY, or a few years earlier or later.
separate region, but Kalos is accessible later in game.
kalos storylines added in include origins of Terminus Cave, Lost Hotel, Haunted House
this region turns out to be the ones that warred with Kalos 3000 years ago.
Introduces a rival team, to Team Flare (team Splash, Surf, or Wave)
adds about 40 pokemon, not in xy or a. plus mega evolutions.

Back
Top Bottom