• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
What if...just...what if...

...we get a third game that isn't Kalos-centric? Not a sequel, not a prequel, not a remake; just a new game, new region, same 718 pokemon?
You'd think that more people would be talking about that with the blatant XY references to an unseen region that will be seen in "due time". I disagree that no Pokémon will be added, seeing as the Strange Souvenir suggests otherwise. Patches make a (probably small) National Pokédex expansion possible; upgrading XY for compatibility wouldn't cost money.

I´m not sure whether XY´s code has been already hacked/ripped, but if Diancie is not in the original XY code, then we already have proof that we'll be getting Kalos/National Pokédex expansions within the generation via patches and expansion packs.

I´m not sure whether XY´s code has been already hacked/ripped, but if Diancie is not in the original XY code, then we already have proof that we'll be getting Kalos/National Pokédex expansions within the generation via patches and expansion packs.
Diancie is in the code. A hacker discovered it back in early November, along with two other Pokémon that you may not know about.

The official Nintendo magazine in the UK hints at a 3rd version of X and Y, albeit it hints it will be sometime this year which I doubt.
It's not a massive hint, theres just a yellow tag at the bottom of an article that mentins X and Y that says there likely will be a 3rd version.

Indeed.
I'm holding out that we could get a Gen 6.5 patch of some kind, since it's eben demonstrated that we can patch the games. I'm just a little concerned that because this is nintendo and Game Freak we're talking aout, they won't cotton on to it for another few years.

My personal predictions (or hopes) for the rest of Gen 6 on the 3DS are:

Autumn 2014/Spring 2015: Ruby/Sapphire
(Autumn 2015: Pokemon Z )
2016:Red/Blue sequels for the 20th anniversary
(Spring 2017: Pokemon Z)

For Pokemon Z, I think both of those time slots are possible depending on the timing of the others.

Fixed.

Not really. Gold and Silver (or HGSS) were already Kanto sequels. So, we already have Kanto sequels. If you're looking for things to add onto Red and Blue, then I'd say that the Sevii Islands and a new Johto post-game would be plenty. Remakes don't necessarily have to mean cut and paste the originals either. They can add a bunch of new features, like ones introduced in XY, and expand the games to give them new life. There's not much they can do with sequels, if they're even feasible, unless they completely change everything. There's no evil team anymore in Kanto due to the story of GS. Sure they could maybe write a new story with new characters that takes place after a long time. But I also feel like completely new ideas and content should be saved for new gens and remakes should just serve their purpose as remakes: nostalgia money bombs. Imo, I'd prefer if they didn't go to the middle, but that's just me. But, straight remakes would be easier and faster to produce, plus straight remakes of the original RB (with a few improvements obviously, such as new features introduced in XY like customization) for the 20th anniversary would make much more sense. The fact that it would bring Kanto into 3D for the anniversary is the only hype/new-ness needed.

But hey, whether it be remakes or sequels, I'm sure we'll all love them either way. At its base, it just needs to be Kanto (and a Sevii Islands + Johto post-game would be cool) with some classic characters and references from the original Red and Blue. I'd be fine either way, and I'd buy them either way, but I just think that from GF's standpoint, remakes would be more likely. But who knows?

don't know why johto wasn't included in fr/lg would have been cooler to see johto 3 years prior to g/s events then the sevvi islands. we did see jasmine a future gym leader 3 years early but she had a default school girl sprite, and i would rather hoenn be included instead of johto if red/blue is remade. if they're gonna remake them again for the 20th anniversary which feels possablie atleast give us hoenn which isn't even on the ds while kanto has had ds time, and four generations of being visited. plus heavily featured in gen 6 since you have kanto starters and kanto legends

I think a prequel could be possible. But if so, then that'd mean our character in the prequel (Pokémon W) would have to fail in beating Team Flare or encountering the legendaries so that Serena and Calem could in X and Y.

We could very well get both a Prequel (W) and a sequel (Z), a third version (Z), two sequels (Z and... W, I guess...), two prequels, Hoenn remakes, or what everybody's been speculating, a third version taking place in an entirely different region, with extra Pokémon.

There's actually like 30% of Kalos that is unreachable in X and Y which could be revealed as the areas of many unknown Pokémon in Z version. There's a massive plain between Santalune and Berry Fields. That could easily be turned into 4 or 5 large areas for future games. We also have the far north to the West of Sea Spirit's Den unaccessible in-game (on the map, it's covered by clouds), anything north of Zygarde and the Scizorite behind the Abomasnow could be expanded, an island or two could be added off of Route 8/Ambrette Town/Geosenge Town, etc. and south of Vaniville and Kiloude could also be expanded.

I think a prequel could be possible. But if so, then that'd mean our character in the prequel (Pokémon W) would have to fail in beating Team Flare or encountering the legendaries so that Serena and Calem could in X and Y.

We could very well get both a Prequel (W) and a sequel (Z), a third version (Z), two sequels (Z and... W, I guess...), two prequels, Hoenn remakes, or what everybody's been speculating, a third version taking place in an entirely different region, with extra Pokémon.

There's actually like 30% of Kalos that is unreachable in X and Y which could be revealed as the areas of many unknown Pokémon in Z version. There's a massive plain between Santalune and Berry Fields. That could easily be turned into 4 or 5 large areas for future games. We also have the far north to the West of Sea Spirit's Den unaccessible in-game (on the map, it's covered by clouds), anything north of Zygarde and the Scizorite behind the Abomasnow could be expanded, an island or two could be added off of Route 8/Ambrette Town/Geosenge Town, etc. and south of Vaniville and Kiloude could also be expanded.

no for the prequal it it be pokemon az where we play as az 3,000 years ago

I like the idea of a Pokemon 'W' and a Pokemon 'Z.'

Pokemon W serving as the prequel, and Pokemon Z serving as the sequel.

I kind of doubt the possibility of a Pokemon W due to lack of a legendary to go with it, unless Gamefreak breaks formula somehow (or gives Zygarde a mega W form for some reason). While that's not impossible, it doesn't seem very likely. I also don't really see what could be done with a prequel- there apparently weren't any significant events in the years leading up to XY's story, so what would there even be to play through? Going waaay into the past doesn't seem plausible either.

I don't think a third version would make significant changes to the storyline path, if they add any new areas, they'd probably be optional or post game areas. Sequels would be better for this sort of thing.

I also think there's more that could be done with the storyline, particularly with Malva, the idea of having a member of the Elite 4 as a member of the evil team is just too good to pass up, and they can't really do anything with that in a Z version because it'd be too significant a change in the storyline.

Indeed, wasn't that the reason why B2W2 had an expanded storyline? If anything, Kalos desparately needs one. Yeah, bring back Malva!

What if...just...what if...

...we get a third game that isn't Kalos-centric? Not a sequel, not a prequel, not a remake; just a new game, new region, same 718 pokemon?

And what if it also has, say, a mixed-region set of starters? Like you get to pick between Cyndaquil, Treecko, and Oshawott?

Indeed, wasn't that the reason why B2W2 had an expanded storyline? If anything, Kalos desparately needs one. Yeah, bring back Malva!

I think the reason BW2 was made was because the storyline had too many loose ends and because Reshiram and Zekrom were too integrated into the storyline, it would've been difficult to pull off Grey in terms of which of the Dragons you would get and which one N would get. The expansions made to the region were probably just a bonus to make the region less simplistic.

Looking at XY, they don't really have that same problem so there's no real necessity for sequels, but the potential for an expanded Kalos region and for Malva to have a greater role within Team Flare is too good to pass up IMO.

And what if it also has, say, a mixed-region set of starters? Like you get to pick between Cyndaquil, Treecko, and Oshawott?

I actually want to see this happen in one game. Maybe not that specific set, but something like that.

Unless the pokemon designers decide to give Zygarde two different mega evolutions I'm gonna go with a single sister game. Zygarde seems more like a Rayquaza than a Kyurem to Xerneas and Yveltal. Then again gen 6 has been on a streak breaking spree so we could get something totally out there. Regardless any future gen 6 games better have more move tutors.

Im hoping for a third game, and maybe even a Gen 3 remake in the future using the X and Y engine :3

I like the idea of Pokemon Z being DLC that coincides with a rerelease of X and Y which includes the extra content of the Z DLC. Maybe call the physical rerelease XZ and YZ or something. Of course this would take a little creative writing if the player has already caught Zygarde. I'm not holding my breath but I'd prefer this over a special edition version or sequels.

I hope when they really produce a sequel, they would let me transfer my Oval Charm and Shiny Charm from my X. With over 700 mons now, to need to be working on the dex all over again is pretty underwhelming, at least for me.

I hope when they really produce a sequel, they would let me transfer my Oval Charm and Shiny Charm from my X. With over 700 mons now, to need to be working on the dex all over again is pretty underwhelming, at least for me.
They are key items so I wouldn't hold my breath. PokeBank will make it easier to transfer Pokemon though.

Since we have Zygarde and B2W2 didn't sell as well as Game Freak expected (they expected it to double their sales over past "third versions" and it fell far short), Pokemon Z seems likely.

However, if they keep up the dual-sequel-retools like B2/W2, I'd expect to see Pokemon XX and Pokemon XY, rather than X2/Y2.

Since we have Zygarde and B2W2 didn't sell as well as Game Freak expected (they expected it to double their sales over past "third versions" and it fell far short),
What? I'm perfectly sure that Game Freak never had such unrealistic expectations; sequels shouldn't be expected to do as well as the primary versions of a new generation. B2W2 outsold the third versions despite being released for a very nearly obsolete system (a fact which did not go unnoticed), so I fail to see why Game Freak should feel disappointment. Reverting to the third version formula would be quite foolish on their part.

Since we have Zygarde and B2W2 didn't sell as well as Game Freak expected (they expected it to double their sales over past "third versions" and it fell far short),
What? I'm perfectly sure that Game Freak never had such unrealistic expectations; sequels shouldn't be expected to do as well as the primary versions of a new generation. B2W2 outsold the third versions despite being released for a very nearly obsolete system (a fact which did not go unnoticed), so I fail to see why Game Freak should feel disappointment. Reverting to the third version formula would be quite foolish on their part.
It might be foolish but I can see them doing just that.

Back
Top Bottom