• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
The problem with counting lifespans is that the DS didn't die on the date of the 3DS release. It continued being bought and games being bought on it for some time.
In fact the entirety of Gen 5 was on a console that was technically dead by your definition.

The 3DS is on track to sell 55 Million units by the end of this year alone. It could easily break 100 Million by the end of 2017.
You mean by the end of 2014 or the fiscal year that just ended? The reported sales as of late January are 42.7 million units, so not much could have changed in two months. The Nintendo 3DS will be lucky to ever reach 80 million units at the current rate.

Emayex said:
In fact the entirety of Gen 5 was on a console that was technically dead by your definition.
It wasn't dead in 2012 because Game Freak chose to support it at the 3DS' expense. With the 3DS having the lowest sales for a Nintendo handheld system, it would be a mistake to repeat that strategy.

Last edited:
You mean by the end of 2014 or the fiscal year that just ended? The reported sales as of late January are 42.7 million units, so not much could have changed in two months. The Nintendo 3DS will be lucky to ever reach 80 million units at the current rate.

By the end of 2014. As of the end of the fiscal year the 3DS sold 44 Million units. I think it'll break 100 million by the end of 2017

By the end of 2014. As of the end of the fiscal year the 3DS sold 44 Million units. I think it'll break 100 million by the end of 2017
Based on what? Its yearly sales decreased from 2012 to 2013 despite the release of bigger titles.

Based on what? Its yearly sales decreased from 2012 to 2013 despite the release of bigger titles.

The 3DS has sold 15 million units every year since its been released. In 3 full years it will be at 90 million if the trend continues, making 100 million by the end of 2017 possible.

The 3DS has sold 15 million units every year since its been released. In 3 full years it will be at 90 million if the trend continues, making 100 million by the end of 2017 possible.
Going by fiscal years, it sold 3.61 (a month's worth of sales), 13.5 and 13.9 million units in the previous years. If you're right about the cumulative sales reaching 44 million (source?), its sales for the past year should only be around 13 million. Going by calendar years, the sales for 2011 and 2012 are 15.03 and 14.81 million units respectively, but 2013 followed them with 12.9 alone.

Last edited:
Hmmm... While that may be logical in the sequence sense, I think it'll be better if it was a legendary trio that's not explicitly tied to a region. See, i think the birds worked, because they weren't specifically tied to Kanto's history. So them flying to other parts of the world made sense to me. I find those legendary dogs too much tied to Johto's/Poke-Kyoto's history, to not feel out of place roaming in Kalos/Poke-France. But then again, that's may be just me.

We are long past the point where this is an issue, we've had several games with Pokemon from other regions in them that didn't have much reason to be there. ... Hell, for that matter why is Mewtwo in Kalos? That doesn't make much sense. ...

That's a good question; I don't know. Actually, this is my current head-canon: Red only intended to catch Mewtwo for the Pokedex, and also to make it less violent, and eventually decided to release Mewtwo (hence the lack of Mewtwo on Red's party in HGSS), who eventually fled from Kanto entirely. The same could be said with most other Legendaries, with the exception of Zekrom/Reshiram and Xerneas/Yveltal. At this point Mewtwo moved to a secluded location in Kalos. With the exception of the elemental birds, who travel all around the world, all other legendaries obtainable outside of the region are purely gameplay purposes only.

I would love to see a return to a third game like the older days but I expect we will get another set of sequels. =/

Seeing something like Pokemon Z is probably the most likely guess, at least for all of us who aren't in on Game Freak's development crew. I mean, the third Legendary's name starts with a Z, Z comes after X and Y on the alphabet, and Z is also a line of coordinates, along with X and Y, that measures 3-D depth (something these 3DS games like to show off). Of course, they could take another direction with this and instead play off genetics... although Pokemon Adenine or Pokemon Guanine sounds kinda weird.

If we get a sequel it would be imo awesome if one of the gyms used Inverse Battle, it could be the 8th Gym and that gym would be multi-type to make things harder.

Considering the two leaked moves which are likely Zygarde's (Thousand Waves and a Thousand Arrows) have been revealed, I'm guessing we'll get sequels, with both having one form of Zygarde knowing that move.

Waves travel among the ground, as Thousand Waves traps any grounded foes hit with it. Arrows soar through the air, as Thousand Arrows hits Aerial opponents and brings them down. Along. Up. X and Y Axis.

What's intresting is that Xerneas and Yveltal are said to have been partially involved in the creation of Mega Evolution, right? And Zygarde has low stats. What if we get Mega Zygarde X and Mega Zygarde Y, Fairy/Ground and Dark/Ground MEs who have Mega Stones closer to Xerneas/Yveltal than any other Mega Stones? Mega Zygarde X would have Thousand Waves, Mega Zygarde Y would have Thousand Arrows, to go with the axises. Mega Zygarde X in X-Sequel, Mega Zygarde Y in Y-Sequel. I have a whole blog about it, and I know it sounds like shoddy self advertisement, I've discussed a possible story there and other things, which I don't want to repeat. Read As: Too Lazy

Interestingly enough, thousand is a common number in Pokemon. Xerneas (X) and Yveltal (Y) were dormant for a thousand years. Arceus molded the hand with a thousand hands... Creation and the cycle of morality...

I'd be betting on the names: X2/Y2 (Obvious Sequel Names), XZ/YZ (Zygarde, and Depth) or XM/YM (M is the Roman Numeral for Thousand).

It makes sense to have a third game, for continuity's sake. I believe Zygarde is already in X Version and Y Version, but maybe it can be the mascot of Z Version. Not sure how it would be planned out, though. If nothing else, maybe a remake or a sequel.

It makes sense to have a third game, for continuity's sake. I believe Zygarde is already in X Version and Y Version, but maybe it can be the mascot of Z Version. Not sure how it would be planned out, though. If nothing else, maybe a remake or a sequel.

What do you mean continuity? Like in-game or game release?

Suicune, Rayquaza, Giratina and Kyurem were all in the first pairs, but became mascots late ^^

What do you mean continuity? Like in-game or game release?

Suicune, Rayquaza, Giratina and Kyurem were all in the first pairs, but became mascots late ^^

X Version, Y Version, Z Version. Just feels right to have a Z Version, you know?

And, you're right. I didn't think about that.

Last edited:
Knowing Nintendo's sadistic joy of tormenting fans by splitting pokemon in two games.I expect X and Y 2 to happen and not Z.

Whether it's Z or X2 & Y2, I think a sequel or remaster for a third version would be really needed. X & Y just felt so lacking for me. It was a lot for them to transition all the sprites from DS to 3DS. I hope the transition won't jeopardize the coming new version.

Although I personally want to see a Z version and not X2/Y2/ZX/ZY or whatever, it seems more likely now that they'll do two new versions instead.

However, I think this pole's options are a little biased. It says a "A third game, like Gens 1-4" or "Sequels like Black 2 and White 2", implying that a third version only would have to be a remastered version like in gen I-IV, and it can't be a sequel. So I chose the fourth option.

I do want only one third version, but I want it to be a sequel, not a remake, to X and Y. Considering the storyline of X and Y, and the main difference in their plot (see what I did there?), I don't think it would be that difficult to have one sequel to them. All they need to do is be ambiguous about the past. They could say "Xerneas or Yveltal" or "one of the legendaries" or whatever.

So, the reason I want sequels instead of a remake/remaster like the first 4 gens is because, to be honest, playing a remake is pretty boring. There are only a few parts in the remakes that are completely different, but everything is mainly the same. Sure, they could add more post-E4 content, but they could do that in sequels as well.
And the reason I want only one sequel instead of two, as I think I mentioned long ago, is because I want to know the canon. Sure, this will mean we don't know the definite canon for X and Y (was it Xerneas or Yveltal?), but at least we'll know the canon for the complete ending of the story.
Another idea I have for this sequel, to fix X and Y's canon as well, is when they tell the backstory (ie what happened in X and Y), they can simply change the canon to Zygarde or make it something else (ie both Xerneas and Yveltal).

(EDIT: This was badly written, but I don't feel like fixing it.)

This is an unpopular opinion but I'd rather have something that expanded on this game. Something halfway between a sequel and a DLC, where you could just continue the adventure in this game (sort of like the games where you got to travel to other regions) by getting new maps, things to flesh out some of the features like more clothing accessories, you get the idea. I always end up wishing we could carry on on a few more adventures with the team we've been worked on since the beginning of the game, and in X&Y this is especially true because it was over quickly. Also because with things like character customization and Amie, you have a much more customized game than you previously did, and it would be great if we didn't have to throw that away.

That said, I think it's probably going to be a normal sequel or Pokémon Y. I think they've made both of those possible by choosing names that could lead to a third game (Y) or just to a sequel. I don't know the statistics but I assume it depends on what was more profitable to them before. If doing Black and White 2 was more successful than the third game tradition they used to have (relatively speaking, you can't compare the way Pokémon was popular in the first few gens with what it is now) and if the costs are worth it, I can see them doing it again. If not, I guess they may return to doing a third game and release Pokémon Y.

That said, I think it's probably going to be a normal sequel or Pokémon Y. I think they've made both of those possible by choosing names that could lead to a third game (Y) or just to a sequel. I don't know the statistics but I assume it depends on what was more profitable to them before. If doing Black and White 2 was more successful than the third game tradition they used to have (relatively speaking, you can't compare the way Pokémon was popular in the first few gens with what it is now) and if the costs are worth it, I can see them doing it again. If not, I guess they may return to doing a third game and release Pokémon Y.
Err... I think you mean Z....

Back
Top Bottom