• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speed Gamers catching Pokémon for charity today: Funds will go to ACT Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Speed Gamers catching Pokémon for charity today: Funds will go to ACT Today

The Speed Gamers are attempting to catch 491 different Pokémon in 72 hours beginning at 5 p.m. CST today. The marathon is a fundraiser for ACT Today (Autism Care and Treatment).

Read more on Bulbanews

Only 490 Pokémon can be obtained between these games and the two Bonus Discs; Deoxys is limited to what is now an unavailable Mystery Gift event.

It is funny that having both FireRed and LeafGreen is only necessary for the Electirizer and Magmarizer items. For all other purposes, playing through both versions is redundant when XD is used in combination with either Diamond or Pearl (though without LeafGreen and Pearl, the Slowpoke line is missing). This is because all of the Pokémon obtained in Diamond and Pearl by using the dongle method with FireRed and LeafGreen - are obtainable in XD, as well. Therefore, the only concern is getting the Kanto starters and Mewtwo (the bird trio are also available via XD), which can be accomplished with one version. Obtaining all three starters entails restarting the game twice, which is easy enough considering that the starters can be migrated as soon as the first battle against the rival is finished (provided that Pal Park is accessible, of course). But I digress, since obtaining Electivire and Magmortar requires both FireRed and LeafGreen (without Platinum or Battle Revolution, that is), though it is perfectly possible not to have played through either version.

Similarly, I suspect that the reason a combination of Ruby and Sapphire cartridges is being used instead of a sole Emerald cartridge, is the lack of access to the Eon Ticket. If the Eon Ticket were available to these players, they would only need to trade Lunatone and Zangoose from XD. Without the Eon Ticket, though, two Hoenn-based cartridges are needed, which might as well be Ruby and Sapphire (since Emerald's Generation II critters are also available via Colosseum, which is necessary for Ho-oh and Celebi, anyway).

It is more than likely that they are going to take advantage of the Pal Park glitch, which makes it possible to bypass the 24-hour restriction. However, if they opt to use Pal Park strictly for the 31 evolution lines that are exclusive to the method (barring Platinum), then using the glitch is not necessary. I will be interested to know if they prefer Pal Park to Diamond and Pearl's daily Swarms, Great Marsh and Trophy Garden, which also require similar mainpulation of the DS clock under a 3-day constraint. On a less relevant note, the Poké Radar, though not time-based, is not a particularly convenient capturing method, either.

Last edited:
Too bad they aren't using Japanese Platinum, that would have helped them quite a bit.
---
Well, for one they're giving out Darkrai online, the other is that it's very easy to get the evolution items of the old pokemon in that game.

Last edited:
This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, but please keep in mind this event is a fundraiser, so any donations Bulbagarden members can give, please do so.

I wonder how will they capture the Legendary Pokémon. They'll need to buy a tons of Poké ball but only 99 is available one at a time so that means they'll have to go into Poké Mart frequently enough. That's quite a difficult job.

Last edited:
I haven't watched/heard yet, but I hope they do succeed. :) How will they get event Pokemon such as Darkrai? Jirachi? Mew?

I wonder how will they capture the Legendary Pokémon. They'll need to buy a tons of Poké ball but only 99 is available one at a time so that means they'll have to go into Poké Mart frequently enough. That's quite a difficult job.

you can carry way more than 99.

Yeah, it got changed in DP where you can have more than 99 of a certain kind of pokeball.

you can carry way more than 99.

How many then? I'm still training very hard for the E4 challenge in Diamond.(I'm still LV. fifty-something...) So I don't have time to finish my Pokédex. I haven't yet started buying a bunch of balls.

Even in the old games you can still carry more than 99, it would just get listed in a separate item slot. I don't know the limit, but there's three digits to it.

Yes, but can you carry another 999 in another item slot?

I just finished testing this out. I brought 999 Poké Balls, and the game will not allow me to buy any more. So if all the pockets in the Bag work the same way, they 999 is the maximum amount of any Item that can be had, and there cannot be two item slots devoted to the same item.

Oh dear.... these guys have no idea as to what the hell they're doing. Unown Lord made an excellent point, and watching this entire procress is just painful. I say we do a similar event to see if we can beat their time.

Oh dear.... these guys have no idea as to what the hell they're doing. Unown Lord made an excellent point, and watching this entire procress is just painful. I say we do a similar event to see if we can beat their time.

Obviously you miss the entire point of these events. The goal is to raise money for charity. They are NOT trying to set/break any records for speed or accuracy.

I second what Trainer-c just said. It's not a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom