• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spelling standard - American vs. Aussie/British?

Consistency within the article.

Therefore, if a page has completely one spelling, do not go and change the whole page to the other.

This is what Zhen said: "Feel free to correct articles to have consistent spelling, but no edit-warring." He could just have easily meant consistent spelling on Bulbapedia as within the article. BTW, what significance does this even hold for you? Do you contribute to or use Bulbapedia regularly?

yeah, i got a bit stuck on this while editing an article since i'm from australia

I think that no discrimination should be implemented. Quite frankly American spellings make me gag as an involuntary reflex, but if I were to suggest complete conversion to British standards then many would not like it. So I think that within one paragraph or section there should be one type used, but otherwise a mix.

Such as...? Because pluralizing with an "'s" is bad in any English. And you spelled "retarded" wrong.

If anything should have a policy, it's the stats. Defense and Special Defense, not Defence and Special Defence. It's not spelled that way in the games, it shouldn't be on Bulbapedia. AncientPower isn't Ancient Power because the games spell it like so.

Are there any places where Defence and Special Defence are used? I thought it was already a rule that game text is the guide when writing articles about game mechanics.

If anything should have a policy, it's the stats. Defense and Special Defense, not Defence and Special Defence. It's not spelled that way in the games, it shouldn't be on Bulbapedia.

That is one that surprisingly few people pick up on.

Trust me, I is a pedantic people!

American's really have some retarted spelling of some words.

Quoted for truth.

This is what Zhen said: "Feel free to correct articles to have consistent spelling, but no edit-warring." He could just have easily meant consistent spelling on Bulbapedia as within the article. BTW, what significance does this even hold for you? Do you contribute to or use Bulbapedia regularly?

I'm not editing as regularly as I used to, but still use it regularly.

If anything should have a policy, it's the stats. Defense and Special Defense, not Defence and Special Defence. It's not spelled that way in the games, it shouldn't be on Bulbapedia. AncientPower isn't Ancient Power because the games spell it like so.

Correct.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom