• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh (Spoiler Free Please) question: Japan and reaction to recent leaks and other stuff

KrspaceT

Reaction score
I've been trying to avoid mon reveals and totals not given by official sources, but I have heard talk floating around of anger on the Japanese side of things that may or may not be talk of going into actual legal problems.

(Before anyone scoffs, we do live in an age where Bethesda has had lawsuit problems since 76. Precedence and what not)

...So, is this like something akin to their own anger about Dexit? Is it something new or specific?

Again no spoilers. You can say things like say 'number is too small' or 'designs suck', as I have heard mumblings of both, just no exact numbers or design showings.

Isn't this just taking the rumor someone said about Japan hating how they broke Dexit at E3 first and not Japan out of proportion? I also did a quick google search and honestly nothing comes up. Everything was from back in June when Dexit broke and also from known clickbaity youtubers.

So to be honest I don't get this post at all.

apparently the japanese equivalent of 4chan (2ch I believe) is furious since like the west, most didn't anticipate that the dex cut would as as drastic as it was. There's apparently a lot of hate towards the designs and blaming james turner for it (take with a grain of salt, I've only been hearing this from word of mouth, but there is screencaps of 2ch being very angry about this all on 4chan)

If true, wouldn't it just be a bunch of NEETs and otaku shouting into the void? Like if they want an actual opinion of Dexit in Japan, they really need to look outside of the 2ch bubble. Like how there's a constant uproar every time any of the pokemon social media pages makes a post...or whenever someone who has worked on pokemon makes an update on their personal accounts for that matter.

I've also seen a lot less angry tweets in Japanese or any other language than I have in English. Like about 98% are in English. If it's that bad that they're threatening to sue, you'd think that the denizens of 2ch would also be making angry replies too.

sigh I know he's the art director, but can people stop blaming him for everything? This is getting stupid.

I for one actually like his designs, and I think some of the cool mons on this gen wouldn't make it to the final game if not for him being the art director.

Also if I remember correctly, I saw a comment on Youtube from a japanese player that said a lot of people in japan are also pissed about the dexit. But then again it's just one person and a few, and I'm not sure if that's a fact (or even if they're actually japanese)
But japanese people are also known for not being really vocal about their opinions, so it's hard to know how it looks like unless you live in there.

I for one actually like his designs, and I think some of the cool mons on this gen wouldn't make it to the final game if not for him being the art director.

Also if I remember correctly, I saw a comment on Youtube from a japanese player that said a lot of people in japan are also pissed about the dexit. But then again it's just one person and a few, and I'm not sure if that's a fact (or even if they're actually japanese)
But japanese people are also known for not being really vocal about their opinions, so it's hard to know how it looks like unless you live in there.

I actually don't get what's up with them: he's designed stuff in the past I really like, but even I'll admit the stuff officially known hasn't quite gelled with me a ton.

Agreed. I saw a lot of praise for Turner and I'm sitting there thinking "none of these designs look like his work."
Kinda like how people treat Sugimori like a God when some of the most popular Pokémon were by Atsuko Nishino. Heck, he even designed one of the most hated Pokémon. I wonder if we'll ever get a list with who designed what Pokémon, not only for this Gen, but also for the others. Hopefully they didn't suffer in the same way Frillish guy did.

To be clear, I didn't say that Turner is the best artist or art director ever, and I'm aware that he didn't create all the new Pokemon. Also I don't think that he gets that much praise, because people seems to be more indifferent to or dislike his work.

It's just that personally I feel gen 8 new Pokemon design seems more refreshing after gen 4-6 looked pretty same-y and rather stagnant, and at least that's what I like from gen 8 art direction.

Hopefully they didn't suffer in the same way Frillish guy did.

I can feel for the Frillish guy. Although to be fair, there are too many Water Pokemon and too little Ghost.

I mean was it official stated in Japan the national dex got cut?
I've read that the only formal announcement was in the E3, which is an American event, and apparantly the apology letter was aimed towards western fans too (I'm not sure since I remember that it had to be translated from Japanese?).

I only know about the Famitsu interview, which is indeed an odd way to drop the news there. Plenty of people must have missed it.

If true, wouldn't it just be a bunch of NEETs and otaku shouting into the void? Like if they want an actual opinion of Dexit in Japan, they really need to look outside of the 2ch bubble. Like how there's a constant uproar every time any of the pokemon social media pages makes a post...or whenever someone who has worked on pokemon makes an update on their personal accounts for that matter.

I've also seen a lot less angry tweets in Japanese or any other language than I have in English. Like about 98% are in English. If it's that bad that they're threatening to sue, you'd think that the denizens of 2ch would also be making angry replies too.

That is true, but you also got to consider that the Japanese audience has less knowledge about Dexit than English speaking fans.

Dexit was first announced on at E3, an American event, and Masuda's Twitter apology was not posted on his Japanese account.

Outside of the Famitsu interview, the Japanese were never officially told about the cut (to my knowledge).

I opened the infamous Treehouse live where the Dexit was announced, and the Japanese are actually bothering to put up English comments to show this disapproval, maybe it’s the writing style but I found this one pulling at my heart strings;

I apologize for my poor English.
I can not comment in Japan channels, so I write here.
I heard that the compatibility is cut off
I was shock.
I would like to explore new world with my favorite Pokemon.
It does not matter if release is delayed.
I hope all Pokemon gather.

Another high profile comment from the Treehouse video, courtesy of a Japan-native. Seems there are Japanese people who are just as upset and baffled as we are:

People here in Japan are very angry about this also. I am not speaking for everyone in Japan, but a lot of other Japanese people on the internet seem to be upset about Gamefreak removing Pokemon. It is not just westerners that are concerned. This is a huge deal for two reasons, the first reason is that in Japan we are rarely vocal about our opinions because we don't like to start conflict. If we are very passionate about something and tell people our opinion publicly, it must be very important. Pokemon is a very popular video game series in Japan and a lot of people care about it. We want Gamefreak and Nintendo to put as much effort into these games as they can to make it the best quality game it can be.

They could have definitely added all of the Pokemon and had no real reason to cut them. The Switch can definitely handle 1000+ Pokemon models, it is much more powerful than the 3ds and that could handle 800+ Pokemon plus their walking/running animations. They already had every old Pokemon model from Sun and Moon to use and just had to update it graphic wise. Plus they already had the 151 Kanto models finished in Let's Go.

They could have put Sword & Shield as a priority and had the best team working on the game but they didn't, instead they side lined Pokemon in favor of a new game and had their secondary team developing Pokemon. They didn't hire enough people to work on the game and treated it like it wasn't important.

The second reason this is a problem, is that when they realized they weren't going to have enough time to update every Pokemon model and put it into the game, they chose not to hire more people and do it. Instead they came up with an unconvincing excuse all so that they wouldn't have to spend any extra time, money, or effort into developing the game. They figured they could get away with cutting content because they figured people would buy the game no matter what terrible decisions they make. They think saving money is more important than making a great game.

I am not saying everything about these games is bad. I am not blaming the developers, they did the best they could being understaffed and rushed for time. I think Sword and Shield had the potential to be great games with some really good new features. Unfortunately due to bad choices and response to fans, that potential was damaged. But I am disappointed with the direction Gamefreak has been going with the Pokemon games recently and this terrible policy. If you don't care about anything Gamefreak does and want to buy Pokemon games anyway that is fine. I am just saying my concerns and other people's for the future of Pokemon. I also hope people don't threaten to harm Masuda Junichi or any other higher member Gamefreak and the Pokemon company.

Corporate greed is one of the biggest issues people have with this whole thing. It is a major problem with a lot of big companies. Gamefreak is planning on cutting a ton of Pokemon that people love from their future games because they don't want to bother hiring more people or spending more time and money to make the games fun for everyone. It's about more than just the fact that they are not including all of the Pokemon.

Gamefreak has been prioritising other games over Pokemon for a while now and have not been putting nearly enough effort into recent games. They have been making games with unfinished areas like the train station in X and Y or no post game. They have started handing out legendary and mythical Pokemon as gifts instead of introducing them through in-game events that allow us to catch them in a new area of the game and add to their lore.

And sometimes they add extra things in a version two of the game but we shouldn't have to pay for a whole other game just so we can get a finished version. But it seems like for every step forward they take another two steps back. Some people are pretending not to notice these these things and are still looking through rose colored glasses (I hope I used that English phrase right). I understand that people want to see the best in all Pokemon games but in reality the games have some large flaws and arent perfect. The problem with that is that it allows Gamefreak to get way with almost anything, that is partially why there was a drop in quality. People criticize certain parts of a game because they want them to be fixed in the next game. The other reason for some parts of the games being unfinished is that they are very persistent with yearly releases.

They don't listen to their fans for the most part and that has to change. Pokemon is an important franchise that deserves a super high quality game with a ton of time and effort like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey. The semi-open world areas of Sword & Shield is a good idea and the Pokemon in the over-world is a great new feature. But at the same time they got rid if very popular and creative things like Mega Evolution in favor of one time gimmicks. And if you like those gimmicks that is fine, but it shows that they are not listening to what the majority of fans want.

And now they are giving us an unfinished product that has even less than their 3ds games did. That is not acceptable and that is the biggest problem, Nintendo and Gamefreak as a company think it is okay to put less effort into Pokemon games because we will buy them any way. People want to let them know that we are tired of our favorite games being set to the side . We want them to prioritize Pokemon for once. Sword & Shield deserve to be the best quality Pokemon games they can be. ありがとうございます

(Someone said I should put this on a website called Reddit, I am a guy in Japan, so I can't use English websites. Well I guess I could try to search it but I don't want to make an account on an English site I wouldnt use. Anyone reading this can put this on that site or any other discussion site and add their own points if they want.)

Japanese outrage will probably amount to nothing. I mean, it's not like Famitsu is gonna suddenly give it a 5/10. I do however hope that GF sees the criticism. They've not really answered anything.

As okay with this whole thing as I am, I would certainly not be opposed to them reversing this whole thing because of fan backlash. The fact that people are upset in Japan too makes it feel more likely to me since it's not a "oh they only really care to fully cater to the Japanese market and Western dissent doesn't really matter too much" as I saw someone say a good while back somewhere.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom