• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[SPOILERS] All Starters vs. Starters (final evo): The Great Analysis

Matleo

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Name, Type , HP, Atk, Def, SpAtk, SpDef, Spe, Total BST

Venusaur Grass/Poison HP: 80 Atk: 82 Def: 83 SpAtk: 100 SpDef: 100 Spe: 80 Total BST: 525
Blastoise Water HP: 79 Atk: 83 Def: 100 SpAtk: 85 SpDef: 105 Spe: 78 Total BST:525
Charizard Fire/Flying HP: 78 Atk 84 Def 78 SpAtk 109 SpDef 85 Spe100 Total BST:534

Meganium Grass HP 80 Atk 82 Def: 100 SpAtk 83 SpDef 100 Spe 80 TotalBST: 525
Feraligatr Water HP 85 Atk 105 Def: 100 SpAtk 79 SpDef 83 Spe 78 TotalBST: 530
Typhlosion Fire HP 78 Atk 84 Def: 78 SpAtk 109 SpDef 85 Spe 100 TotalBST: 534

Sceptile Grass HP 70 Atk 85 Def: 65 SpAtk 105 SpDef 85 Spe 120 TotalBST: 530
Swampert Wat/Ground HP 100 Atk 110 Def: 90 SpAtk 85 SpDef 90 Spe 60 TotalBST: 534
Blaziken Fire/Fighting HP 80 Atk 120 Def: 70 SpAtk 110 SpDef 70 Spe 80 TotalBST: 530

Torterra Grass/Ground HP 95 Atk 109 Def: 105 SpAtk 75 SpDef 85 Spe 56 TotalBST: 525
Empoleon Water/Steel HP 84 Atk 86 Def: 88 SpAtk 111 SpDef 101 Spe 60 TotalBST: 530
Infernape Fire/Fighting HP 76 Atk 104 Def: 71 SpAtk 104 SpDef 71 Spe 108 TotalBST: 534

Serperior Grass HP 75 Atk 75 Def: 95 SpAtk 75 SpDef 95 Spe 113 TotalBST: 528
Samurott Water HP 95 Atk 100 Def: 85 SpAtk 108 SpDef 70 Spe 70 TotalBST: 528
Emboar Fire/Fighting HP 110 Atk 123 Def: 65 SpAtk 100 SpDef 65 Spe 65 TotalBST: 528

Greninja Water/Dark HP: 72 Atk: 95 Def: 67 SpAtk: 103 SpDef: 71 Spe: 122 Total BST: 530
Chesanaught Grass/Fighting HP: 88 Atk: 107 Def: 122 SpAtk: 74 SpDef: 75 Spe: 64 Total BST: 530
Delphox Fire/GPsychic HP: 75 Atk: 69 Def: 72 SpAtk: 114 SpDef: 100 Spe: 104 Total BST: 534

Decidueye Grass/Ghost HP: 78 Atk: 107 Def: 75 SpAtk: 100 SpDef: 100 Spe: 70 Total BST: 530
Primarina Water/Fairy HP: 80 Atk: 74 Def: 74 SpAtk: 126 SpDef: 116 Spe: 60 Total BST: 530
Incineroar Fire/Dark HP: 95 Atk: 115 Def: 90 SpAtk: 80 SpDef: 90 Spe: 60 Total BST: 530

Starter Pokémon - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Here we can compare them through 7 generations, stats, movesets, typing , everything what you want.

Last edited:
Slowest starters ever, but I don't mind as they used the points need for that stat in other areas, I love how bulky Decidueye is, and the relatively even spread of Incineroar. Even Primarina whose design is not something I like is a great option for special water.

Incineroar as a dark type is immune now to Prakster boosted moves?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sad69KlKLT0

Decidueye as a ghost can't self get trapped.

Do you think something like this can happen with ground type and make Torterra get a little buff?

Emboar line is the only know starter line that had Sucker Punch in the past, maybe Chesanaught line should also get it ? (taking that Decidueye got it)

Last edited:
I didn't realize Serperior was that fast.

Primarina's moveset is probably my favorite out of all the starters. In contrast to previous generations, all the starters and final evos have fairly boring movesets. I guess its intentional to accomodate for Z-moves.

I would like Rowlet's final evo more if it had Levitate as a hidden ability - the fact that it goes from being immune to ground type attacks to only resistant means I'll probably have a stupid bird on my team for the ground type attacks. Toucannon will learn seed bomb so that makes the regional flying type an interesting selection.

- I dont think a grass type like Deciduey needs levitate that option was already used in gen IV.
Rather Fly, Phantom Force, Shadow Snek, Thousand Arrows and Bounce are now rather in need.

-and Serperior learns even a flying type move ; Aerial Ace.

- what about Emboar and Chesanaught in future learning Slack Off?
Both have the hp for that. Would be better if the move would rise also def and sp.def +1.

Infernape gets it. Maybe we will get a new ape in future with it?

Speed

Greninja Water/Dark Speed: 122

Infernape Fire/Fighting Speed:108

Delphox Fire/GPsychic Speed: 104
Venusaur Grass/Poison Speed: 80
Meganium Grass Speed: 80
Blaziken Fire/Fighting Speed: 80
Samurott Water Speed: 70
Decidueye Grass/Ghost Speed: 70
Incineroar Fire/Dark Speed: 60

Decidueye is slightly faster than the other two which is cool.

then the other 7.

I'm a bit disappointed in the speed of the Alola starters, but that's my only argument. I love Primarina, and Decidueye is growing on me a bit.

I'm a bit disappointed in the speed of the Alola starters, but that's my only argument. I love Primarina, and Decidueye is growing on me a bit.

I know.
Kalos was a pretty fast generation, maybe they wanted to show that there are more important things then only speed? There are many options to change the Tide. Priority moves, moves that rise stats , speed with Tailwind, Trick Room. You can try to reduce oponents speed or attacks/sp.attack.

I understand that Decidueye is slower, if used in the right moment Omnious wind will rise all stats.
Plus it got 2 really good immunities. If they make in future more ghost starters they rather won't be fast.

We got a Perish song and a ghost typed Curse user this generation.
(Maybe in fututure they will make a type immune
to the ghost typed move Curse used by a ghost type? Ground??? Can you curse the earth?)

Sucker Punch - Decidueye ? how many ghost and psychic types can it take down easy?
how many normal and other types will crumble?

Last edited:
Okay, so I've been meaning to do an analysis on Starters but I've also been busy playing Pokémon and you can guess which one is more important. I will attempt to rank the Starters of each type from worst to best and explain why they are ranked this way. This post will get lengthy, so I've elected to split it into three.

I will start with GRASS and do Fire and Water later when I get the chance.

Disclaimer: of the three Starter types, Grass is the one I have most experience with, so I feel more confident covering its starters than I do Fire or Water. This means the analysis for those other two types might have some holes in them. Feel free to correct me if that's the case. Okay, here we go.

7. Meganium
tumblr_o7sh3fnGCX1uc26cpo1_500.jpg

Image found on Tumblr

Sadly, Megs is without a doubt the worst Starter. Not just Grass. But the worst of all of them, period. Sucks because she's actually one of my absolute favorites, but it seems like a developer at GF actively has it out for her. She hasn't gained any useful tools since the Sinnoh games. In HGSS, when the Starters all got shiny new Egg moves, she got...body slam. Not only is it a mediocre move, it's a move she already got by level up anyway. Unova gave her the DW ability...Leaf Guard. Pretty bad as is, but Megs already gets Aromatherapy to deal with status so it's doubly useless on her. Gen VI screwed her out of a mega, and now Gen VII has also given her nothing to work with. The thing is, she has good, exploitable bulk, reliable recovery, status healing, and Leech Seed. There's a good Pokémon hidden in there somewhere. GF just refuses to let it out.

6. Torterra
77e7a44c14226161bcb67cd4ad23fe10.jpg

Image found on Pinterest

Unlike Megs, Torty actually has something going for it. Good physical stats backed by a unique typing and access to STAB Earthquake to deter Fires from switching in. Wood Hammer is good offense, Stone Edge handles all his weaknesses, and he even has reliable recovery backed by good physically defensive stats. What holds Torty back is a combination of two things. On their own, they wouldn't be so bad, but together they are crippling. A 4x weakness to one of the best offensive types in the game (whose most common moves key off his weaker defensive stat) combined with a pitifully low speed (slowest Starter yo) destroy this mon. One 4x weakness can be played around. Low speed can be patched up (it even gets Rock Polish to do just that.) Both together? Yeah, no.

5. Sceptile
AbvJuBUo.jpg

Image found on Twitter, of all places

Sceptile is a decent offensive Pokémon. Mega Sceptile is a good offensive Pokémon. MTile has blistering speed and great special attack (which it needs to patch up its offenses since it's stuck holding the mega stone.) Defensively, the Dragon typing gives it two 4x resists in Grass and Water while Lightningrod gives it an immunity to Electric, granting it plenty of chances to come in. That speed in particular is useful as, unlike Torty, it can threaten would-be checks with it, which makes it tricky to switch into. Like Torty though, MTile suffers from a crippling Ice weakness. Not helping its case is that its special movepool (which keys off its better stat) is about as deep as a kiddie pool. This is relevant because Scepy is pretty frail and has six weaknesses, so it doesn't have many setup opportunities (it can't reliably Swords Dance.) If it's not KO'ing stuff, it is DOA.

4. Decidueye
e0e27f68a2e7ac7c22692328edb972d6.jpg

Image found on Pinterest

Now, this is purely theoretical of course, and I debated whether Deci should be above or below Scepy, but I ultimately decided it's just a notch better. Let me explain. While MTile is a good offensive mon, it falls short of being a great offensive mon. It doesn't really excel in the role. Deci, by contrast, is a really good support mon. I know we were all expecting the second coming of Infernape and that's not what we got, but you have to give it up to Deci for being a fantastic utility and support mon. Between it's good defensive typing, just enough bulk to make use of it, Spirit Shackle, spinblocking capacity, Defog, Baton Pass + SD/NP/Sub, and reliable recovery in Roost, this mon can provide almost all of your support needs. Access to Leech Seed, Wisp, and hazards would have made this Pokémon insane.

3. Chesnaught
tumblr_mxmmf8t5Us1qfcpfko1_500.jpg

Image found on Tumblr

I put Chesny a notch above Deci because even though they both excel in their roles, Chesny's is easier to fit into a team. Unlike Torty who was clearly built with bulky offense in mind, Chesny was meant to be a purely defensive mon. While also 4x weak to something (flying in this case,) Chesny can better handle its weakness than Torty because most Flying type moves key off Chesny's stronger defense, and Chesny has access to his signature move in Spiky Shield to at least do something back to his counters, which Torty can't say. Even if he's not damaging them, Chesny can scout with Spiky Shield. That bulk, as well as his access to Drain Punch, Leech Seed, and Synthesis, is nothing to scoff at either. Finally, Chesny gets access to one of the coveted hazard moves to support its team with (Spikes.) I'd argue it's only UU because it was just his bad luck that the OU meta happened to be unfavorable to him.

2.Serperior
serperior_id_by_cometwing-d66qt46.png

Image found on Deviantart

While Seprerior is not good for much, she is an absolute monster at what she is good at, which is abusing the hell out of Contrary. Without Contrary, her shallow movepool, poor offenses, and mediocre defenses let her down. With Contrary, she has a 140 BP STAB Nasty Plot boost in Leaf Storm and just enough of a special movepool to abuse it with. She can set up while also applying pressure to the opponent, which is a huge deal. If left unchecked, she will punch holes in your team. She's only good for that, but my god is she excellent at it.

1. Venusaur
tumblr_nkomx84tmK1un95hzo1_r3_500.png

Image found on Tumblr

MVenu is an absolute beast right now. Better defenses and typing than Megs and Chesny, an ability that removes half its weaknesses, access to reliable recovery sets it apart from other defensive Megas, and the prevalence of Fairy types gives it offensive presence thanks to STAB Sludge Bomb. It also benefits from Terrains and Weather. It can abuse the Grass and Misty terrains to become even bulkier (Grass) and forego status which is one of its few crippling factors (Mist.) In terms of weather, Venu can abuse Sun and Growth with Chlorophyll, and it can block Water/Grass/Electric moves, which make it useful on both sides of Rain. Truly a disgustingly tanky and versatile mon here.

Obviously this is a quick overview and not an in-depth analysis on each mon, but I think it covers the basics. Please discuss.

Last edited:
Spiky Shield buff:

1. Would be much better for Chesanught if it would get a buff
and lets say could Disable the oponents attacks with Spiky Shield like Cursed Body does.

(becuse of Contact with the Spikes, something to do with Acupuncture, or they could make that it releases needles at the foe regardles what attack the foe used on it(special/physical))

2. Priority for needle and roll based moves after using Spiky Shield:
Imagine also a extra effect that needle (like Pin Needle,Needle Arm) and roll (Gyro Ball,Rollout) based moves would get high Priority when used just after Spiky Shield was used.

3. 1/8 damage is good but if it would be 1/6 and it would get one extra effect would be better not that Decidueye is in the game. Or it could retain 1/8 damge and get 2 effects like the ones mentioned before (1 and 2)

Imagine damage dealing moves that could Disable the oponents moves used by starters in future.

Torterra would need something like this.

If only Torterra could learn
Ancient Power, Anchor Shot, Baneful Bunker, Stomping Tantrum, Strenght Sap

It has a big tree , rocks and is ment to be a tank.
Think of it.

(Chesanught maybe too could learn some too but Torterra would need that love more)

Serperior, Incineroar, Infernape all learn Torment.

Why not Chesanught, Emboar, Delphox?

The same goes for Circle Throw? why not make starters learn it if there are so many with Dragon Tail?

Anchor Shot: Torterra ,Empoleon, Samurott ( sea , ship and land motive, would fit more then Iron Tail and Smart Strike )

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom