• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS: Demo Datamine Discussion

At this point, SM is the definition of a mixed bag, for me.

The only things I really like sofar, currently are:

- Kommo-o: my favourite non-legendary Pokemon since Gen III. I absolutely love that design, and typing.
- the Alola Region itself, it is a great region imo. Behind Johto, Hoenn and Unova, but probably tied with Seviis as my fourth favourite.
- Pokefinder: it is one of the best features imo, looks really fun
- Pokepelago

I don´t really love anything else shown sofar. Especially the roster of new Pokemon has really disappointed me (this is just my opinion, and 100% personal taste):
Pikepek: ruined.
Popplio: ruined.
Torracat: eh, I like it, but still, could´ve been much better, and quadruped.
Salandit: his evo looks like Krokorok, which is a mid evo. Where is the final, bad ass evolution for Salandit?
Rockruff: wasted x2

And don´t get me started on Alola formes... It was looking like one of the best concepts ever, and turned out into "wasted potential: the feature."

Alola Persian and Alola Dugtrio are not just bad, they are bad and lazy.

And I hope UBs are not catchable. That would be totally wrong imo.

I am usually the one that always says "but it´s Game Freak´s game! They can do whatever they want, and you can buy it, or not buy it! Don´t claim its objectively bad just because you don´t like it." But this time, I can´t really blame people for disliking some things.

PD: Please, do not respond to this post and don´t start an argument with me. It is just my current opinion, and is completely preliminary.

Last edited:
People, please stop hating. For every cool looking Pokemon, there have to be a derpy looking one to balance it out. (Mega Slowbro says hi). Besides, we don't know the concept behind the derpy looking ones yet so stop judging and start enjoying.
People can have whatever opinions they want. I think A-Dugtrio is an ugly and lazy design no mater what contrived justification they try to give us. I don't hate derpy pokemon, Mega Slowbro is one of my favorites, but I hate lazy designs.

Still in active disbelief over Dugtrio The Scammer, what kind of HUNTY MESS, what kind of PLOT TWIST, who the fuck in a MILLION YEARS WOULD'VE PREDICTED, twenty years in and GF still PLAYING us

who let this rat mole audition for RuPaul's Drag Race
lmao.gif
dies.gif

one thing i can say is that i will laugh alot in this game. maybe that is what GF was going for. a light hearted paradise. xD !

Given that its a diving bell spider and the trend of spiders being bug types, it's probably bug/water.

It's probably a stretch but I'm holding out for it being Bug/Ice. The balls on it's legs kinda look like snowballs.

That and I want Wimpods evo to stay Bug/Water and that's probably less likely if we have another Bug/Water line. (Though I guess we did have Phantpump/Pumpkaboo so what do I know?)

I thought the datamine would kill my hype for the games... Nope!
I'm especially intrigued by that ghostly-anchor-thing (Water/Ghost?). Alolan Persian looks silly but I can't wait to learn the lore behind it.

At this point I feel like I might have hyped sun and moon up too much. Some of the only things i'm looking forward too is useing ash greninja in full battles and a hand full of native alolan pokemon (alolan forms are some of the worst things to happen to a pokemon game). Other then that most new stuff introduced save for pokeride and pokemon refresh just don't interest me what so ever. I'll still buy the games but I have the feeling that I won't punt that many hours into sun and moon.

anyways Wimpod DID THAT and evolved into what is singlehandedly one of the most scary things Gamefreak has ever touched. Who would have thought the wimpy nerd kid horshoe crab thing everybody bullied would GLOW UP and become the ripped jock Cthulu alien obliterator. What a fucking monstrosity in the best way. This is why you should always be nice to everybody you meet in high school; you never know how they're gonna end up once puberty really hits.

Morelull her evo is honestly fucking magical. I liked the little guy since she was released but thought she would just evolve into something kinda whack, like a bunch of glowing mushrooms arranged into something boring lol. But god fucking damn, she looks like the best kind of deep dream drug trip VISION that you can barely remember when you wake up; like some Alice in Wonderland shit; like some My Neighbor Totoro shit. Stunning

Salandit her evo SERVING posture. What kind of femme fatale? I'm amazed Gamefreak could make something so simultaneously fierce and regal, and something so primal looking (straight outta Jurasic Park). Something about Salandit's evolution feels mythical to me, like some deity from the underworld.

The crown of thorns seastars/urchins giving me everything I need to live and survive. The prevo looks so mysterious and yet oddly, slightly glamorous, or otherwise like one of those moody intelligent divas that have a magnetic, strong aura about them. The evolution gets uglier and more prickly, venomous, in the best way. I'm reminded of Ursula, who is somehow simultaneously glamorous and not beautiful at all; it's a really exciting combination. A Glameow/Purugly tea. Also, I think these two are gonna be my new favorite pokemon for competitive battling.

The water spider things what the fuck even (!!!!)

I'm honestly shocked Gamefreak created so many more legendary designs as opposed to just more cosplay pikachus or w/e

So, my thoughts on the leaks:

Positives:
- Starter evolutions that were leaked are real, that's a given, we can finally put all that skepticism of them being fake to rest. Mermaid Popplio is my favorite, then again I already love the Popplio line even before it was confirmed, so I definitely know who my starter is going to be.
- Shiny Rockruff is blue, in fact, a lot of the shiny colorings this generation are good, compared to how in most generations, the majority of them are just a slightly different shade.
- Wimpod becomes a giant isopod. I was reading about those giant bugs the other day and was wondering if they would make a Pokemon out of one... I got my wish.
- The Island Guardians look really cool.
- Toucan Pokemon, enough said
- The Ultra Beasts look awesome, they remind me of the Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- Is that little black thing Marshadow? If so, he's really cute.

Negatives:

- Very few new Pokemon, like last generation. I hear some data is missing and was intentionally left out of the demo, so it will be another month before we know for certain. At least we got confirmation on the starter finals.
- Alolan forms confirm our worst fear: They're all Gen 1 Pokemon, and I barely like any of them, especially since most of them are Pokemon that nobody really cares about. For some of them, what is with the way Alolan Dugtrio looks, all they did was just add hair, that's it. Alolan Golem looks like a Chinese guy out of an old kung fu movie, and let's not get started on Alolan Persian. It's kind of like they showed the best ones at the start and then just went downhill. On that topic, why are there so few of them, there were more Megas in X/Y than this.
- A severe lack of Fire, Ice and Dark types.
- Where's that dolphin Game Freak?
- Ash's hat Pikachu... it's unnecessary

A Battle Frontier, a PWT 2.0, or an SS Anne with past game characters on board for daily rematch, could really make my SM hype high again. But those are all quite unlikely.

I knew SM would be very overhyped due to the 20th Anniversary. I knew I had to keep my hype moderate. I knew it was just the beginning of a generation. But so many people said "oh, it is going to be the best game ever!", that accidently, I joined the hype train.

So no alola arbok, rapidash or dutrio though? And none of the nido line? Disappointment. Well here is to hoping i guess. Come on unrevealed secrets! And do not give me any of that we got the complete list crap they could have altered it for the demo so we did not see everything. No offense to those who dig through but you are not gonna find everything. They are gonna hide some stuff.

Why not both, in case Godpod decides to get tricky with us? :p
If they somehow make Godpod Bug/Drsgon or Bug/Steel, and ANOTHER pokemon is Bug/Water, then its going to be the first time half my team would be part bug, gen 5 almost caved me in, but this gen the bug output is beyond amazing. I mean nothing else is really doing it for me in the water/electric departmrnt beyond Wimpod and Vikavolt, not even that Sea Urchin tank thing. Unless the freaky anchor is Water/Steel, and then Wimpod goes out the window. Kalos was easy, 72 Pokemon and only 15 or so good designs with no type overlap, but these 72 are putting in some god damn work in the design department.

The Shellder on Slowbro's tail consumes Slowbro making it a top vs Slapping a whig on Dugtrio.

I don't see the comparison?
slap an enlarged Shellder over Slowbro. it's Mega Slowbro. i'm not going to outright say it's lazy, but let's not really pretend it's incredibly inspiring either. we still don't exactly know the background of A-Diglett, so to kinda write it off immediately as lazy seems a bit presumptuous to me. after all, it's not like Diglett's family is the epitome of Pokemon design anyways.

Worst Pokedex in history.

Gamefreak, it's time to STOP. Or at least hire some competent designers.

Back
Top Bottom