• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS FOR OR/AS. WHAT WOULD BE THE EFFECT ON YOU?

The only thing unspoiled is the story line changes which are likely to be minor

Apparently the storyline's being greatly changed. They're creating a unique Mega Evolution B-Plot, a Lati@s C-Plot instead of making it post-game, and hinting at another C-Plot with Tabitha possibly overthrowing Maxie in Team Magma. They're obviously keeping the same basic storyline, but everything else is being revamped.

Noooooooo!!!!!!! Please do not elaborate more. Or hide it through Spoiler wraps!! Pleaaaassseee!!!!!

Again, a spoiler is unreleased information that is not widely available. All things I said are easily accessible through the ORAS website, as I posted on the previous page. The word spoiler has lost all meaning on the internet.

Think of it like this: whenever there was a new Harry Potter book that was coming out, there were practically zero leaks ahead of time. This meant that you didn't need to make any changes to your daily routine until the night of the book's release. From that point on until you'd finished reading the book yourself (which takes most people between one to three weeks), you simply cut yourself loose from the Internet completely.

Not be braggy, but I finished Deathly Hallows in 5 hours. ^_^ I was so proud of myself.

Apparently the storyline's being greatly changed. They're creating a unique Mega Evolution B-Plot, a Lati@s C-Plot instead of making it post-game, and hinting at another C-Plot with Tabitha possibly overthrowing Maxie in Team Magma. They're obviously keeping the same basic storyline, but everything else is being revamped.

Noooooooo!!!!!!! Please do not elaborate more. Or hide it through Spoiler wraps!! Pleaaaassseee!!!!!

Again, a spoiler is unreleased information that is not widely available. All things I said are easily accessible through the ORAS website, as I posted on the previous page. The word spoiler has lost all meaning on the internet.

Yes I know, but there is no mention in the website on when/where this plot is available in the storyline, or if it will still be available in post game. And your word "hinting" means it is just a speculation. C'mon! I know the difference between a spoiler and not a spoiler. You're making it as if it is already final..

It really isn't everyone else's responsibility that you don't want to learn the information. Nobody makes you click on The Mega Evolution Thread that is clearly going to be discussing the actual megas and their strategy instead of making guesses about things they know aren't true. Not everyone plays the game the same way.
The burden of responsibility is too ridiculous either way. Think of it like this: whenever there was a new Harry Potter book that was coming out, there were practically zero leaks ahead of time. This meant that you didn't need to make any changes to your daily routine until the night of the book's release. From that point on until you'd finished reading the book yourself (which takes most people between one to three weeks), you simply cut yourself loose from the Internet completely. That was all it took. Mission accomplished: you've avoided being spoiled on the next Harry Potter book. But with Pokémon, where Game Freak releases so much information intentionally and where hackers release so much additional information that Game Freak didn't intend to be released just yet, we're talking a six-month to year-long period in which those who don't want to be spoiled have to make a choice: no Internet or too damn bad you're getting spoiled. And how fair is that, really? To ask people to give up the Internet for six months to a year straight? It's unrealistic.

And yet it's exactly what you have to do with our fandom. During the time between the first trailer (January 2013) and the games' release (October 2013), I had friends IRL, friends who have nothing to do with Pokémon, spoiling me on XY details that they had heard about from others. During that time, I had things spoiled for me when I would search Pixiv for the latest Pokémon fanart out of Japan. (I soon quit doing that altogether, from April to October, going nearly half a year without collecting any new fanart, a beloved pasttime of mine sadly put on hold because of stupid spoilers.) During that time, Serebii rolled out avatars for his forum users that included CoroCoro creature spoilers, spoilers I had made an effort to avoid seeing. What am I supposed to do then? "Not use Serebii for a year"? (Disclaimer: I don't use Serebii. It's just an example.) Imagine if that happened here on Bulbagarden. How would you like it if every third or fourth member had an avatar that was spoiling Generation VII for you when you wanted not to be spoiled? They would basically be forcing you to pick between two shitty options: go away from Bulbagarden until the game's release half a year from now ... or else take spoilers up the butt against your will.

Should people who like spoilers have to handcuff themselves for 6-12 months just because some other people don't want to be spoiled? Is it any more fair to them than it is to the anti-spoiler people to be spoiled? That's why I'm saying that what we really need is for Game Freak themselves to hold back how much information they release before the game is out. Because you can pretty much guarantee yourself that anything they reveal is going to be circulated publicly in forums like this one within hours of its unveiling. And so if the anti-spoiler fans can't count upon the pro-spoiler fans to respect their wishes, it falls to Game Freak to respect their wishes. Otherwise they're S.O.L. and are going to continue to be spoiled to high heaven every release cycle, diminishing the joy and wonder they could have otherwise had when playing a new game.

This is so true. In the end, it really is GameFreak's fault for distributing too much information and not cleaning up the demo, eventually leading to leaks caused by hackers.

Project Pokémon is literally just a group of men who all have no girlfriends, half of them still live with their parents, and they decided to spend their time decoding a children's video game. When you get right down to it, you have to feel bad for that group.

Yes I know, but there is no mention in the website on when/where this plot is available in the storyline, or if it will still be available in post game. And your word "hinting" means it is just a speculation. C'mon! I know the difference between a spoiler and not a spoiler. You're making it as if it is already final..

It's not speculation. If it's on the website, they're obviously hinting at it for a reason. My "speculation" is which are B-plots, C-plots and post-game. And with the emphasis of each plot point on the website, it's not that hard to guess correctly.

And with the emphasis of each plot point on the website, it's not that hard to guess correctly.
There are people who don't want to guess in the first place or have other people put 2 and 2 together for them.

There's only a month left till release, and some of the users are trying to limit their exposure to any more spoilers even if those are guessable and most people already know anyways. If you could please use spoiler tags in case of spoilering in a thread under a different topic - which should not be too difficult - your cooperation would be greatly appreciated.

Project Pokémon is literally just a group of men who all have no girlfriends, half of them still live with their parents, and they decided to spend their time decoding a children's video game. When you get right down to it, you have to feel bad for that group.

Clearly it's what they are interested in - decrypting coding and game files and whatever else. They obviously like the technical and numbers side of things, so I don't really think that's something you should be judgmental over. It's not like they are children-beaters or murderers, it's just their hobby. I'm sure there's lots of people that think being a member of a Pokemon forum is sad and people feel bad for us, but what does it matter if they people are doing what they enjoy?

Try being less judgmental, it wouldn't kill you.

(PS if being a "children's" game is somehow a bad thing, which you seem to heavily imply, you should probably remember where you are. Also it's not really a children's video game anyway, given Game Freak make it quite clear they want to cater to older fans as well as younger ones.)

Clearly it's what they are interested in - decrypting coding and game files and whatever else. They obviously like the technical and numbers side of things, so I don't really think that's something you should be judgmental over. It's not like they are children-beaters or murderers, it's just their hobby. I'm sure there's lots of people that think being a member of a Pokemon forum is sad and people feel bad for us, but what does it matter if they people are doing what they enjoy?

Try being less judgmental, it wouldn't kill you.

(PS if being a "children's" game is somehow a bad thing, which you seem to heavily imply, you should probably remember where you are. Also it's not really a children's video game anyway, given Game Freak make it quite clear they want to cater to older fans as well as younger ones.)

I still stand by my position that Pokémon is targeted to children, but I'm not saying only children can play it. I'm only pointing out it's true target audience.

And how fair is that, really? To ask people to give up the Internet for six months to a year straight? It's unrealistic.

Honestly, it really ain't all that unfair. If you do not want to give up the Internet, you can choose not to. It's your own decision. You'll just be putting yourself at risk of being spoiled by going to Pokemon related websites/videos and the like. Which is easily remedied by not going to those sites; you don't have to cut off everything you do online (unless Pokemon is the only thing you do online...) But if you really can't fathom the thought of being spoiled to anything before you get the game, then it's again, your choice to then decide to just not touch those websites. It's all up to you; no one is asking or making you do anything.

It really isn't that hard to not be spoiled, to be honest. With all the mess we had with XY, I still went though the game unspoiled on any plot details, battles, or region layout. All I knew were the Pokemon in the game. And all I did was avoid game footage, walkthroughs, and screenshots of those who had the game. Yes, walkthroughs, because I had to wait until a week after the game released. With ORAS, same principle. I'm not looking at any team rosters or anything like that. All I know are the Megas' stats.

Why on earth would you use the most stereotypical nerd insults on a Pokemon forum? Wait, no. Don't answer, it's rhetorical. Just had to get that off my chest.

Sigh.

But to actually make this post relevant to the thread I suppose I should contribute something.

In all honestly, spoilers make me more excited for a game. If I know what I'm going to get, then I just get more eager to play the game when I think about. But if all I know is that I'm going to receive games that are the same game I've played before, but in 3D, then the hype is not as high as I'd like it to be.

It's not speculation. If it's on the website, they're obviously hinting at it for a reason. My "speculation" is which are B-plots, C-plots and post-game. And with the emphasis of each plot point on the website, it's not that hard to guess correctly.

Now you want to guess something not just for yourself, but for everyone? Word of advice, if you want to guess something that are not yet final, you should keep it with yourself. Coz not everyone is interested with your guessing things.

Why on earth would you use the most stereotypical nerd insults on a Pokemon forum? Wait, no. Don't answer, it's rhetorical. Just had to get that off my chest.
Oh sorry, I probably should have made this part more clear. I wasn't being stereotypical, everything I said about Project Pokémon was actual facts, not insults.

And how fair is that, really? To ask people to give up the Internet for six months to a year straight? It's unrealistic.

Honestly, it really ain't all that unfair. If you do not want to give up the Internet, you can choose not to. It's your own decision. You'll just be putting yourself at risk of being spoiled by going to Pokemon related websites/videos and the like. Which is easily remedied by not going to those sites; you don't have to cut off everything you do online (unless Pokemon is the only thing you do online...) But if you really can't fathom the thought of being spoiled to anything before you get the game, then it's again, your choice to then decide to just not touch those websites. It's all up to you; no one is asking or making you do anything.

It really isn't that hard to not be spoiled, to be honest. With all the mess we had with XY, I still went though the game unspoiled on any plot details, battles, or region layout. All I knew were the Pokemon in the game. And all I did was avoid game footage, walkthroughs, and screenshots of those who had the game. Yes, walkthroughs, because I had to wait until a week after the game released. With ORAS, same principle. I'm not looking at any team rosters or anything like that. All I know are the Megas' stats.
I explained perfectly clearly how it isn't enough to cut out a forum like Bulbagarden or Serebii -- how you have to cut out Pixiv, Twitter, Facebook, gaming news sites, Imgur, Reddit, everything but Google searches for homework or work -- if you don't want to be spoiled on a new Pokémon release. I relayed to you my personal experiences in being spoiled by such things as Pixiv and Twitter. And you want to turn around and write me a two-paragraph reply about how I am wrong?

Like you, I avoided plot spoilers successfully. (Though it was not easy, contrary to your false claims.) Like you, I avoided battle spoilers. Like you, I avoided spoilers on the map. And unlike you, I had many creatures I didn't even know existed until I played the game. Basic stages too, not just evolutions. But those aren't the be-all, end-all of spoilers. I was spoiled on Mega Evolution even though I'd have liked not to have been. I was spoiled on the Fairy type even though I would have very much liked not to have been. (What a spectacular surprise that could have been! To discover a new type from normal gameplay!) If I had not ceased collecting fanart from April through October I can guarantee you that I would have been spoiled on the starters' evolved forms. No, I say to you. No, no, no, no, no. I disagree with you, angrily and strongly, when you claim that it is "not that hard to be spoiled." It requires a lot of sacrifice, a lot of effort, and a lot of cooperation from the peers you remain in touch with. Lack any one of those and you're going to get spoiled.

Bleh I read most of it when it came out. I'm still gonna play and enjoy it, though maybe not as much I suppose.

I explained perfectly clearly how it isn't enough to cut out a forum like Bulbagarden or Serebii -- how you have to cut out Pixiv, Twitter, Facebook, gaming news sites, Imgur, Reddit, everything but Google searches for homework or work -- if you don't want to be spoiled on a new Pokémon release. I relayed to you my personal experiences in being spoiled by such things as Pixiv and Twitter. And you want to turn around and write me a two-paragraph reply about how I am wrong?

I still disagree; you honestly don't have to cut out all of that. Just avoid the Pokemon related parts of it. I personally don't use Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and such, but I can still use the internet for more than just homework. I suppose that's just a personal difference, though, since I'm not all about the social media sharing sites; guess I just lucked out there.

Like you, I avoided plot spoilers successfully. (Though it was not easy, contrary to your false claims.) Like you, I avoided battle spoilers. Like you, I avoided spoilers on the map. And unlike you, I had many creatures I didn't even know existed until I played the game. Basic stages too, not just evolutions. But those aren't the be-all, end-all of spoilers. I was spoiled on Mega Evolution even though I'd have liked not to have been. I was spoiled on the Fairy type even though I would have very much liked not to have been. (What a spectacular surprise that could have been! To discover a new type from normal gameplay!) If I had not ceased collecting fanart from April through October I can guarantee you that I would have been spoiled on the starters' evolved forms. No, I say to you. No, no, no, no, no. I disagree with you, angrily and strongly, when you claim that it is "not that hard to be spoiled." It requires a lot of sacrifice, a lot of effort, and a lot of cooperation from the peers you remain in touch with. Lack any one of those and you're going to get spoiled.

Mega Evolution and Fairies were revealed by The Pokemon Company, themselves, so I wouldn't really consider that a spoiler. Just so you know, I'm considering spoilers as things that have not been officially revealed (such as things we wouldn't know without the ORAS demo being hacked), not everything that comes out until the games' release, which appears to be the claim you're making. In which case, obviously it would be a lot harder to stay unspoiled for such a long period of time. But even so, I still believe that it isn't unfair. If you really want to avoid "spoilers" (whatever you constitute those as), then it's just what you decide to do. It's not like GAME FREAK is gonna not release info about the games.

I suppose that's just a personal difference, though, since I'm not all about the social media sharing sites; guess I just lucked out there.
Seems that way.

Mega Evolution and Fairies were revealed by The Pokemon Company, themselves, so I wouldn't really consider that a spoiler. Just so you know, I'm considering spoilers as things that have not been officially revealed (such as things we wouldn't know without the ORAS demo being hacked), not everything that comes out until the games' release, which appears to be the claim you're making.
So it's not a spoiler to discuss the latest XY episodes out of Japan with North American and European dub viewers, is it? Nor is it a spoiler to tell someone the ending of any book that has previously been published? A spoiler's "spoilerness" isn't determined by whether it comes from an official source or not. It's a spoiler if it's information that would have normally been discovered by enjoying the book / film / game in question but has been prematurely revealed to the reader / viewer / player. Or, to roll with what Wikipedia has to say:

Wikipedia said:
A spoiler is an element of a disseminated summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot elements which threaten to give away important details concerning the turn of events of a dramatic episode. Typically, the details of the conclusion of the plot, including the climax and ending, are especially regarded as spoiler material. It can also be used to refer to any piece of information regarding any part of a given media that a potential consumer would not want to know beforehand.

Bold emphasis my own. To many fans, myself included, there is fundamentally no difference between hackers revealing to us that (say; made-up examples) Jasmine or Cynthia are in ORAS and TPCi doing it. There's no difference between CoroCoro unveiling Mega Articuno to the world and a staff leaker at Game Freak. You express that to you there is, that to you it matters whether the information comes from an official source or not. But I hope that you can understand that for many people it doesn't mean much if Game Freak reveals, piece by piece, the entirety of Gen VII's plot through twelve CoroCoro issues. That, were they to do that, it wouldn't mean anything to them if you were to say, "But it's okay! That information came from an official source! Game Freak wanted us to know in advance! :) It's not a spoiler, guys!" It's a spoiler. lol It'd still be a spoiler, to me and to many if not most people, even if we dress it up as a series of official press releases from Game Freak.

When I played Gen II as a kid, I went into those games completely unaware of many of the creatures' identities. They hadn't been revealed in any official media, the Internet was still raw back then, and so it was easy to go into the games with wide-eyed wonder at new sights like Hoppip or Corsola. By taking great pains to avoid similar spoilers this generation, I was able to relive some of that magic with Gen VI. And it was amazing. It's just a shame that I had to go to such great lengths to achieve it. And if my home base of operations on the Internet had been a community like Bulbagarden or Serebii, well then there's simply no way I could have accomplished it short of telling the community, "See you guys in six months" around April 2013 when it became clear that Game Freak was just going to keep the creature spoilers coming. I agree with you that that's ultimately my choice to make. I'm just trying to get you to understand how ridiculous it is that someone who wants to avoid spoilers in this day and age can't do so without cutting off an arm and a leg. Our media has become too spoiler-driven. And our fandom in particular has become especially bad with it. Even Star Wars Episode VII has less information known about it at this point that Pokémon XY did the same number of months after they were announced. And that's Star Wars. There's big money to be made from leaking information on the newest Star Wars movie. Yet compared with how much was revealed about XY in advance, Star Wars Episode VII looks like a sealed vault.

Ok, so I've thought about this, and I agree (and disagree) with both of you

if you claim everything related to these games that is revealed to be a spoiler, then you're gonna have a problem. Cause it will be extremely hard not to be spoiled then. We're still dealing with a product here, a thing the company will want to promote. Right now, we're a bit more than a month away from release. If they haven't already, TV commercials promoting ORAS will be broadcast soon. Does this mean we should also just entirely stop watching TV because we might accidentally see this add if we wanna remain unspoiled?

Personally, I think that would go a bit too far. And I also think there's a difference between official sources revealing information and hackers revealing information. Official sources know what the final picture looks like, and thus will know what they can and can't reveal without giving away everything (presumably, and how well GF/Nintendo does this, we don't know either. They don't seem to be very good at this). Hackers on the other hand dump ALL info they can find. Which in theory could be the entire game

As what spoilers would do for me? Well, I partly think I've been spoiled a bit too much already (I did avoid the datamining info however, so except for one or two very minor details which I stumbled upon, I don't know anything about it. Plus in one of them people were referring to XY and as I've not played those games, I didn't really follow that anyway) On the other hand, these are remakes, which not only means that I will already know about a lot of aspects, but also that I want to know for example whether certain big features (such as Contests or Secret Bases, to name something) are coming back. And yes, I've seen quite a few details about those by now, but I feel like it's not necessarily a lot more than you could even find for example in the instruction booklet that comes with the game. And I haven't had the experience of playing the games yet either, which is always different than just hearing things about it. Right now, I think I know enough about the games, and likely I will check the official website a couple times more, but that's it

But yeah, I think it's still important to remember that this is a company who wants to sell a product, and as such has to promote and thus tell what the product is about. Most people want to know something about the thing they buy...

No offense, but this doesn't mean all that much considering you're spending your time posting on a forum dedicated to said video game.

Pot, kettle, and all that.

But yeah, I think it's still important to remember that this is a company who wants to sell a product, and as such has to promote and thus tell what the product is about. Most people want to know something about the thing they buy...
And the record shows that I have had this in mind the entire time. I've never advocated for Game Freak to quit doing press releases and other "official spoilers" period. In fact, what I have previously suggested is that they should:

1. reduce the time between the very first announcement of the product and the product's release date
  2. cut back on the amount of information they reveal per individual update during pre-release
So for example, maybe X and Y shouldn't have been announced until June 2013; and maybe ORAS, with much less new information available to spoil, shouldn't have been announced until August 2014. For another example, instead of revealing 2+ mega evolutions every single CoroCoro update, perhaps they'd have done better to have revealed only one mega. And for a third example, instead of revealing characters *and* megas *and* new features all in one update, perhaps it'd have been better to have spread that stuff out a bit more. Had they done all of these things, they could have still hyped up the games while at the same time not giving so much information as to make the actual playthrough underwhelming.

Think of it like with movies. You could release one two-minute trailer three months before the film hits theaters. But a lot of studios are starting to release a teaser trailer a year in advance, then a second teaser half a year later, and then a three-minute trailer in the last few months before the film's release. If you're not going to reveal everything the second way, then it's fine. But if you are, then maybe you should stick to the first way. That's what I'm suggesting for Game Freak.

I agree that they're a company and they're going to want to promote the product they're selling. I just wish that their idea of promotion would quit being "Reveal every single new addition and change since the last game in the series you played." It takes out all of the magic of discovering things for yourself when they do this. It needs to stop.

As long as the story/plot itself isn't completely leaked, if at all, then I'm fine with this. It helps me plan out a team more easily, as I like to have at least an idea by the time the games come out. Plus it gives me an idea of how other elements, such as E4 rematches and such, will play out and how to prepare for them. So I'm fine with this data as long as the actual story isn't ruined in the process.

Back
Top Bottom