• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[SPOILERS] How would you modify/create the new starters movesets if You could?

Then it's basically Grass Infernape.

Not that I'm calling this a bad thing, it's just a little observation.
Grass Infernape is already different enough from Infernape to be its own thing due to its typing alone.

Add Shadow Claw to Decidueye's moveset. Thunder Punch to Incineroar's moveset.

Decidueye is ment to be a Assasin-Archer.
A grass inferape we had with Sceptile already.

Primarina should get Glare, Mirror Coat , Dragon Tail and Counter.

Why didnt she get Leech Life(probably they will reduce it to 75 like drain punch)?
this would be a good recovery option for her.

Mud Sport should be posibble by now by a other water starter not only Swampert, Squirtel and Totodile line.

It learns Aqua Jet a priority move.
Why no Dive for Primarina?all previous starters got it?

Primarinas Liquid Voice should also protect her from the effects of sound based moves? only a idea.

Assist for who?
Decidueye, Incineroar or Primarina? (only chimchar line till now got it)

I think Decidueye or Primarina should get it, but taking that Primarina lack of movepool and Decidueye got Curse and ghost typing I would Primarina would deserve it more.

All 3 should get Torment.

Quick Attack, Extreem Speed?First Impression?Sucker Punch? it needs a good priority option.

Dig or Bounce for Incineroar? It has the claws to do it?

-Phantom Force, Fly or Bounce- should be an option other starters get similar ones.

Grass Whistle and Dream Eater need to hapen on it. Sleep Powder and Hipnosis maybe not, but Grass whistle should.

Last edited:
Primarina should get Glare, Mirror Coat , Dragon Tail and Counter.

Why didnt she get Leech Life(probably they will reduce it to 75 like drain punch)?
this would be a good recovery option for her.

Glare or Leech Life dosen't suit primarina theme wise. It isn't exactly common for a performer to leech the life force out of their audience, or Glare at their audience?

Last edited:
Glare Leech Life dosen't suit primarina theme wise. It isn't exactly common for a performer to leech out their life force out of their audience, or Glarr at their audience?
I literally almost spit out my drink when I read this.

Glare Leech Life dosen't suit primarina theme wise. It isn't exactly common for a performer to leech out their life force out of their audience, or Glarr at their audience?

You only see the Performer but I also see a mythological beast, the Sirene that hunted for men at sea and feeded on their life force. Mega Drain would also be welcomed but maybe to strong with its special attack stats??? (Incineroar got Leech Life...)
It got Perish song, but then Glare and Leech life with its low attack stats would make sense and would allow her to battle better grass types, plus Decidueye is neutral to bug type moves.

Like Deciduey should Dream Eater and get Grass Whistle (Liquid Voice could get a buff and protect Primarina from sound moves effects ).

Mist ,Clear Fog, Acid Armor, Purify would be an option for Primarina.

Gastro Acid (would need a buff and do damage and take away Wishiwashis schooling)???
Serperior learns it. But if not now then that maybe for a future water or fire starter.

Last edited:
You only see the Performer but I also see a mythological beast, the Sirene that hunted for men at sea and feeded on their life force. Mega Drain would also be welcomed but maybe to strong with its special attack stats??? (Incineroar got Leech Life...)
It got Perish song, but then Glare and Leech life with its low attack stats would make sense and would allow her to battle better grass types, plus Decidueye is neutral to bug type moves.

Like Deciduey should Dream Eater and get Grass Whistle (Liquid Voice could get a buff and protect Primarina from sound moves effects ).

Mist ,Clear Fog, Acid Armor, Purify would be an option for Primarina.

Gastro Acid (would need a buff and do damage and take away Wishiwashis schooling)???
Serperior learns it. But if not now then that maybe for a future water or fire starter.
Just FYI, sirens didn't feed off anyone's 'life force.' They literally led the sailors to their death by hypnotizing them into steering their ships onto jagged rocks and then they feasted on their corpses.

They literally led the sailors to their death by hypnotizing them into steering their ships onto jagged rocks and then they feasted on their corpses.

you think that they only consumed what was already dead? Why not make it feed on life force? It would be good for her moveset and would be a good option for her.

(did someone watched the Siren, Mamula,Dagon, Nymph or Mermaid themed horror movies??? 2001, 2010, 2014, 2016? the Vampire Diaries Series? even sirens are said to be some kind sea vampires that can mind control others)

If you can feed you Leech and restoreyour own life force through consuming others.

Last edited:
you think that they only consumed what was already dead? Why not make it feed on life force? It would be good for her moveset and would be a good option for her.

(did someone watched the Siren themed movies???)
Sirens did not originate in movies. They originated in Greek myths/epic poems and in those they never fed on 'life force.' They had more in common with vultures in the sense that they ate what was already dead. It's just that they hypnotized them into killing themselves first.

That's just how the stories went. You can't retcon those.

Sirens did not originate in movies. They originated in Greek myths/epic poems and in those they never fed on 'life force.' They had more in common with vultures in the sense that they ate what was already dead. It's just that they hypnotized them into killing themselves first.

That's just how the stories went. You can't retcon those.
Did you read Greek mythology? what hapened if someone surviced the crash of a ship and landed near them?
you think they could have run away?
Its said that they destroyed the Ships , but who knows? maybe not to be found? If they control someone with the song they could first drain lifeforce(meal) and then destroy the ship.

Why not give Primarina a good physical move against some grass types?

Last edited:
Did you read Greek mythology? what hapened if someone surviced the crash of a ship and landed near them?
you think they could have run away?
Its said that they destroyed the Ships , but who knows? maybe not to be found? If they control someone with the song they could first drain lifeforce(meal) and then destroy the ship.

Why not giving Primarina a good move against some grass types?
A) She gets Ice Beam

B) I've read the Odyssey and the Iliad, and I've read several books on Greek mythology. I'm kind of a mythology buff.

C) in order for someone to survey the ships, they'd have to get on a ship and get close, at which point the sirens would just repeat their process.

D) I didn't come up with this story, I'm just relaying it. Draining life force was never a thing sirens did. Like, ever. Fantasy authors may have embellished, but it has exactly zero basis in mythology.

but in game it would be wise to have more heal option then Aqua Ring.
Plus should she be ablle to use so powerfull ice type moves?
Give it a break, we dont have many water types with Leech Life.

If Inceroar could get it why not she?

but in game it would be wise to have more heal option then Aqua Ring.
Plus should she be ablle to use so powerfull ice type moves?
Give it a break, we dont have many water types with Leech Life.

Leech Life is useless to her anyway because her attack stat is mediocre at best, so making a physical set is a waste regardless.

But it still doesn't make sense thematically.

I think I'll practice some Theorem Proofs to convince you...
Q. Prove that Primarina should not get Leech Life, with comparison to Incineroar.

Given

1. Incineroar is a Physical Attacker.
2. Primarina is a specially defensive Pokemon.
3. Leech Life is a Physical Move.

To Proove- Incineroar should get Leech Life but Primarina should not-:
Incineroar has got better Attack, so leech Life is beneficial to Incineroar.
Whereas, Primarina sucks at physical attacks, so Leech Life would be of minimal importance to Primarina.

This proved that Incineroar needs leech life more than Primarina.

Leech Life is useless to her anyway because her attack stat is mediocre at best, so making a physical set is a waste regardless.

But it still doesn't make sense thematically.

Not more or should not, but posibility of using it ina diffrent way?

Primarina sp. attack 126 overpowering her with Draining Kiss, BP 50 ( special move, but its a Kiss,physical) is also a waste? Or should she get it and make Incineroar cry more?

Thematicaly if somethings mythical they can make with it more then the thematical theme...
every fairy needs to be nice? in mythology they were not all nice and good.

Physical draining move against grass types, what else could She learn that could drain hp?
Drain Punch? Giga Drain, mega drain?

What if someone wants a physical move as a surprise attack to heal better in some situations?
especially against grass pokemon? (against dark,psychic,grass especially if cross typed with poison or steel)

Why does she not learn Fake Tears ???

Decidueye would need Whirlwind in some situations to switch out some of his oponents.

Last edited:
@Matleo you seem to want every Pokemon to be able to do everything. get where you're coming from, but part of a pokemon's individuality, beyond design, is the niche they fill in battle. If primarina could be a mixed attacker with bug type draining moves, then it wouldn't really be primarina anymore. I don't mean that changes couldn't be made to the moveset (they have in the past and will in the future), but not every Pokemon needs to have a move for every situation, that's what team synergy is for.
Edit: I will agree on fake tears. it might not have tons of use in her competitive toolbox, but it fits her thematically, unlike some other suggestions put out there.

Primarina's ability and motif is based around sound moves, particularly songs. As such, Perish Song comes to mind immediately, along with Boomburst and Relic Song if you fancy something kinda ridiculous. That aside, there's not much Primarina doesn't get that I would like to see it get. Maybe Moonlight and/or Draining Kiss for a bit of recovery?

Not used Decidueye or Incineroar, so no comment on them. However, a rather mad idea did come to mind for an alternative ability for Incineroar: a Fighting-type variant of Steelworker.

Primarina's ability and motif is based around sound moves, particularly songs. As such, Perish Song comes to mind immediately, along with Boomburst and Relic Song if you fancy something kinda ridiculous. That aside, there's not much Primarina doesn't get that I would like to see it get. Maybe Moonlight and/or Draining Kiss for a bit of recovery?

Not used Decidueye or Incineroar, so no comment on them. However, a rather mad idea did come to mind for an alternative ability for Incineroar: a Fighting-type variant of Steelworker.
Primarina really just wants Moonlight and Calm Mind and she'd be set.

Decidueye should be more of a special attacker. I mean, whose idea was it to make an archer a physical fighter? (Granted, Leaf Blade is a better move than any of the special grass moves, but still)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom