• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS: Masters Eight Discussion/Speculation Thread

Here is my prediction for the episode
Ash vs cythnia
-gastrodon vs Dragonite
Dragonite recalled
-gastrodon vs gengar
Gengar
-Spiritomb vs gengar
Spiritomb
-spiritomb vs Dragonite
Spiritomb
-spiritomb vs pikachu
Pikachu
-roserade vs Pikachu
Roserade
-roserade vs dracovish
Dracovish
- togekiss vs dracovish
Dracovish recalled
-Togekiss vs Lucario
Lucario
-milotic vs Lucario
Lucario recalled
-milotic vs dracovish
Milotic
- milotic vs sirfetchd
Tie
- mega garchomp vs mega Lucario
Mega Lucario
Tell me what you think of this

Due to special preview, we literally know some of the matchups already.

Dracovish, Gengar and Pikachu are gonna be knocked out early, but Cynthia is revealing four Pokemon.

So my bet is
Dracovish vs Gastrodon - Dracovish
Dracovish vs Roserade - Roserade
Roserade vs Gengar - Roserade recalled
Togekiss vs Gengar - Togekiss
Togekiss vs Pikachu - Togekiss recalled
Spiritomb vs Pikachu - Double KO.
Togekiss vs Lucario - Lucario
Milotic vs Sirfetch'd - Milotic
Milotic vs Dragonite - Dragonite
Kommo-o vs Dragonite - Dragonite
Garchomp vs Dragonite - Garchomp
Mega Garchomp vs Mega Lucario - Mega Lucario

My hopes/predictions:
  • Spiritomb vs Dragonite- Dragonite is switched out due to being put to sleep and being damaged by Dream Eater
  • Spiritomb vs Gengar- Spiritomb wins and is switched out
  • Roserade vs Dragonite- Roserade deals big damage to a still sleeping Dragonite and is switched out when it wakes
  • Gastrodon vs Dragonite- Dragonite manages to pull through and win despite being beaten up, its early sturdiness making a comeback
  • Togekiss vs Dragonite- Togekiss easily wins thanks to Dragonite being on its last legs by now
  • Togekiss vs Pikachu- Togekiss messes around with Pikachu for a bit and then is switched out
  • Spiritomb vs Pikachu- Draw. Technically Pikachu takes Spiritomb out first, but Cynthia anticipates this and calls for Destiny Bond before Spiritomb is struck by the finishing blow.
  • Roserade vs Dracovish- Dracovish wins despite taking a heavy beating, so Ash recalls it
  • Milotic vs Sirfetch'd- Sirfetch'd wins
  • Togekiss vs Sirfetch'd- Sirfetch'd is immediately switched out due to the hugely unfavorable matchup
  • Togekiss vs Lucario- Lucario wins, but takes a heavy beating and is thus switched out
  • Garchomp vs Sirfetch'd- Garchomp wins, but Sirfetch'd goes down swinging
  • Garchomp vs Dracovish- Garchomp wins even more easily than against Sirfetch'd due to Dracovish being more exhausted, but she still took a Strong Jaw-boosted Ice Fang in the process, leaveing her just damaged enough for...
  • Garchomp vs Lucario- Both Pokemon Mega Evolve and Lucario manages to just barely take the win
I really don't want Dragonite to go winless in a battle three times in a row, so I hope it's the one that gets to defeat Gastrodon. Dracovish and Sirfetch'd also need wins since the former jobbed last round while the latter hasn't even done anything in a while. Gengar can afford to go winless here as he's been on a good streak, and Pikachu getting to tie may sound disappointing, but he still technically doesn't lose, especially with Destiny Bond involved, and Pikachu can afford to go winless more than anyone else, so him tying is by far the best compromise.

The "Ash loses to Cynthia" speculation is cute, but it would mean that Ash's final victory in the PWC was against Steven... In most series that final victory has received more attention and anticipation than that (VS Gary, VS Morrison, VS Paul, VS Sawyer) so it would be extremely off-putting. We certainly do not need another Unova.

I don't expect Cynthia's replacement to be announced right away, we just went almost two decades without knowing who were Kanto & Johto's champions (nor we knew than they shared a champion). Also, Cynthia choosing her successor herself would go against the spirit of the series of earning a title by your own effort.

Look, we saw a tight moment in the preview for the Semis, there Ash says he is going to get even stronger after he beats Cynthia.. In normal conditions I would say Ash is juat pumped up and knows winning = exp = he will be stronger. But I think it is a clue Ash will get a training epiaode before the final or Ash decides his current 6 arent enough to win the final.

Look, we saw a tight moment in the preview for the Semis, there Ash says he is going to get even stronger after he beats Cynthia.. In normal conditions I would say Ash is juat pumped up and knows winning = exp = he will be stronger. But I think it is a clue Ash will get a training epiaode before the final or Ash decides his current 6 arent enough to win the final.

Maybe they could even do a Pokemon Masters EX crossover episode which serves as a training episode as well, which would fit in with Ash's storyline in the game.

Poor Kommo-o... what was the point in giving it to Cynthia if it doesn't even battle in the Masters Eight?

Like, we already know the six Pokemon.
Gastrodon, Spiritomb, Roserade, Togekiss, Milotic and Garchomp. I think they want to stay faithful to the original DP games, but replace Lucario with Togekiss due to Ash having one.

Poor Kommo-o... what was the point in giving it to Cynthia if it doesn't even battle in the Masters Eight?

Like, we already know the six Pokemon.
Gastrodon, Spiritomb, Roserade, Togekiss, Milotic and Garchomp. I think they want to stay faithful to the original DP games, but replace Lucario with Togekiss due to Ash having one.

To promote Pokemon Masters EX, and nothing else apparently :bulbaFacepalm:

Lance's Dragonite actually did pretty well and was his main powerhouse of his battle till it went down to Gardevoir. I guess it depends if Ash's Dragonite does lose to Cynthia quick given the preview screens of it against Spiritomb.

Wow the terrible treatment of Dragonite in the Master’s 8 is so bad that even comic book websites have noticed.

Ok people got to relax lol

At first, people thought Dragonite was getting too much with its record
Then it loses two battles and now people think they hate Dragonite...
It's like the reverse Gengar at this moment

I will say that Lance and Iris having Dragonites’ and them both losing doesn't help their argument lol
Lances’ did quite well tho

Can't say much about the game portion as that's a different discussion

Assuming the 2 Part Mew episodes are legit and the next series begins on the same day the games drop (Nov18) there's about 3-4 more episodes left*.

Just enough for Ash to get curbstomped and have a farewell episode.

*edit that we don't know of yet

Anyone else got the feeling we need to wair one more week for the next episode?

I’m not sure what’s the correct thread for this, but I did think of a imo better, albeit highly fan-servisy solution to the Ash being toe to toe against the Masters 8 problem.

So… they said Ash’s highest stat is being unpredictable. So why not play fully into it? They could have Ash use one reserve per match as a surprise card, one that’s appropriate for the character arc, as a complete surprise, kind of like Muk vs Bellsprout from the older days. That’s not to rob attention from the current team, let them have their battles, but have each battle bring a new factor, because at this point what this team can do is getting pretty predictable and repetitive.
Imagine Ash pulling a team of Dragonite/Sirfetch’d/Greninja against Alain for round 1, JN Team + Infernape against Cynthia and so much more, leading to the current team slowly growing stronger, and learning more from the rounds and hence they come across as better experienced vs Leon, where the JN team can truly shine. They could also have Ash mix and match gimmicks on Pokémon that haven’t done them before: Inferno Overdrive on Infernape, Dynamax Sirfetch’d or Dragonite and such things totally unexpected by the audience instead of a “token” user for the generalised gimmicks.

I feel such a blend of reserves + current team with more of the current team and a reserve being a guest appearance could work very, very well from a character perspective, gradual power scaling, and making Ash being a threat to the Masters 8 really believable even though he’s not bringing his top guns to each match.
This works as a kind of medium between the “purists” who think he should only use the JN team and the “all stars” folks because quite frankly, both approaches are unrealistic for varying reasons.

I’m not sure what’s the correct thread for this, but I did think of a imo better, albeit highly fan-servisy solution to the Ash being toe to toe against the Masters 8 problem.

So… they said Ash’s highest stat is being unpredictable. So why not play fully into it? They could have Ash use one reserve per match as a surprise card, one that’s appropriate for the character arc, as a complete surprise, kind of like Muk vs Bellsprout from the older days. That’s not to rob attention from the current team, let them have their battles, but have each battle bring a new factor, because at this point what this team can do is getting pretty predictable and repetitive.
Imagine Ash pulling a team of Dragonite/Sirfetch’d/Greninja against Alain for round 1, JN Team + Infernape against Cynthia and so much more, leading to the current team slowly growing stronger, and learning more from the rounds and hence they come across as better experienced vs Leon, where the JN team can truly shine. They could also have Ash mix and match gimmicks on Pokémon that haven’t done them before: Inferno Overdrive on Infernape, Dynamax Sirfetch’d or Dragonite and such things totally unexpected by the audience instead of a “token” user for the generalised gimmicks.

I feel such a blend of reserves + current team with more of the current team and a reserve being a guest appearance could work very, very well from a character perspective, gradual power scaling, and making Ash being a threat to the Masters 8 really believable even though he’s not bringing his top guns to each match.
This works as a kind of medium between the “purists” who think he should only use the JN team and the “all stars” folks because quite frankly, both approaches are unrealistic for varying reasons.
I think reserves would take spotlight away from Ash's Journeys team.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom