• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS: Masters Eight Discussion/Speculation Thread

It was obvious from the start that Ash will battle Lance/Cynthia/Leon. I don't know why everyone including you was thinking that he would battle Alain. This will NEVER happen in Masters 8.
Why would thay never happen? There's no confirmation he would definitely battle Lance people only assumed. Why would you assume Alan can never happen?

It was obvious from the start that Ash will battle Lance/Cynthia/Leon. I don't know why everyone including you was thinking that he would battle Alain. This will NEVER happen in Masters 8.
Nothing is obvious except for Leon, because Journeys reminds us of Ash wanting to fight Leon in the opening sequence of every episode. Journeys can have Ash battle Dianthia and Steven if they wanted to. We just don’t know what’s going to happen.

Imagine while fans are discussing who should battle who in M8 tournament, scripwriters just text trainers name on small papers, fold and put a cup than draw lots.

Results would be a big shock.

Ash vs Leon
Iris vs Alain
Cynthia vs Lance
Steven vs Diantha

I don’t want Ash vs Lance. Barf

- The anime is emphasizing Lance's Gyarados, which is not his true ace. I'm afraid this could be an excuse for him not to fight Iris.

Something about Alain in this art style looks off to me and i'm not sure why.

- It seems to me from the image prominence given to Alain and Steven that they are going to have some episode or special focused on them.

Last edited:
Including Alain only to not have him rematch Ash would be showing genuine spite towards XY fans. It would be a hilarious troll, but way too unlikely.

Including Alain only to not have him rematch Ash would be showing genuine spite towards XY fans. It would be a hilarious troll, but way too unlikely.
No rematch. And we don't need it. Ash will battle against Leon's Charizard. No reason for writers to waste 2 of 3 matches against Charizard as main villian's pokemon

No rematch. And we don't need it. Ash will battle against Leon's Charizard. No reason for writers to waste 2 of 3 matches against Charizard as main villian's pokemon
You can very well say then why have Alan here at all since either way it's two Charizards. So that's not a good point saying "we don't need it."

You can say that for anything

Full page and poster
FSU9lZfWYAgkl4m

FSU9nwpXMAQxRbp

Now it looks less likely they're battling and more than they're showing their dragon types. I also wouldn't be surprised if we do see a training battle of sorts, I remember people speculating Iris would help train Dracovish but maybe they can have Lance do it

Interesting to see though.

Paul is most likely training Dragonite (So a Dragon training a Dragon)
Lance training Dracovish would be a Water typing training a Water type.
What... Brock comes in with Mega Steelix to train Mega Lucario (Steel type vs Steel type)
Allister for Gengar
Bea for Sirfetch'd
Surge for Pikachu

I mean, we’re potentially gonna see 3 different Dragonite between Ash, Iris and Lance so I don’t see how that’s an issue, especially when they use different battle gimmicks. Besides, there’s really no point in them bringing back Alain if they’re not gonna give him and Ash a rematch. For all that, they could have brought in a number of other trainers including Flint who was already in the Masters 8 before:

Ash already defeated the rest of Alain's team, so really all that's needed for fans is for Charizard to get defeated.

Ash's Charizard is a major contributing factor to why Charizard as a species has become a fan favorite.
Alain could have still caught more Pokémon or pull a Paul but only keep Charizard consistent.

Full page and poster
FSU9lZfWYAgkl4m

FSU9nwpXMAQxRbp
What is even the point of Ash fighting Lance? Are the writers SO obsessed with ASH FIGHTING KANTO CHAMP that they failed to see the stakes with a Lance Vs. Iris fight? Again, what's the point? Iris wants to be the best DRAGON trainer, so she goes up against Alain instead of Lance... and the fact she's going to lose round 1 makes her either on-par with Lance or worse than him! Even STEVEN STONE would have made more sense for Ash to fight.

What is even the point of Ash fighting Lance? Are the writers SO obsessed with ASH FIGHTING KANTO CHAMP that they failed to see the stakes with a Lance Vs. Iris fight? Again, what's the point? Iris wants to be the best DRAGON trainer, so she goes up against Alain instead of Lance... and the fact she's going to lose round 1 makes her either on-par with Lance or worse than him! Even STEVEN STONE would have made more sense for Ash to fight.
Steven is the Champion Ash has interacted with the least. The page also says nothing about these being the match-ups. But Lance has been one of Ash's most hyped opponents in Journeys along with Raihan, Cynthia, and Leon.

I'm going to cut to the chase. I made this bracket about a week ago. This is my idealized championship progression of the Masters 8 Bracket. These choices and results are made from a character progression standpoint for most if not all of the participating competitors. Let me know what you think. I'm confident this is the best composition of the Masters 8 bracket from a writer's perspective.

Quarter Finals
Leon vs Steven
Ash vs Diantha
Alain vs Lance
Cynthia vs Iris

Semi Finals
Ash vs Alain
Leon vs Cynthia

Finals
Ash vs Leon

Winner
Who knows? It's anybody's guess.

If you want know what the justifications behind the match ups are, just let me know down below in the thread, and I'll explain. If you only want to know the reasoning behind a specific match, let me know that too.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom