• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[Spoilers] Multiple Pokemon Universes Theory

I'm not an overly massive fan of how all the games prior to X and Y are being relegated to some alternate timeline thing, and Gen VII hasn't helped my opinion on this matter. I'd have been a bit more receptive to the concept if it were introduced by someone like Steven or Professor Cozmo instead of a woman whose mental state I personally question.
But its not just zinna saying it theres concrete proof of it, like re read my post everything about looker and anabel points to it, even suicune in oras with its crystal theme.

It be cool if we actually get to cross from one universe to another but that is probably too big. Of course they could limit the amount of places you can go in the other pokemon world but some might not like that.

I'm not an overly massive fan of how all the games prior to X and Y are being relegated to some alternate timeline thing, and Gen VII hasn't helped my opinion on this matter. I'd have been a bit more receptive to the concept if it were introduced by someone like Steven or Professor Cozmo instead of a woman whose mental state I personally question.

I like Zinnia so it's not her I have an issue with, but in all honesty, I'm not so keen on the pre-/post-3DS timeline split myself. Mainly because I have strong doubts that Game Freak will be able to do anything meaningful with it, and it's the kind of thing that I'd really rather see done right, or not done at all. It wasn't as much of an issue back when it was just the opposing pairs of games being opposite worlds of one another. But now that it's tied up in all of the Gen VI lore, with the ultimate weapon and Mega Evolution and all of that, it's gotten more complicated, especially since they couldn't even keep the story behind Mega Evolution straight for more than a single game. (And, given that, how am I supposed to trust that they'll be able to pull off whatever the hell this is across who-knows-how-many games?)

I'll admit that it has piqued my interest, but will the payoff be worth it?

Edit: Though you know, the ultra-technical pedant in me wants to point out that at the time of this writing, the games haven't actually suggested that all of the old games are part of the other timeline. It is an entirely reasonable and intuitive assumption, yes, but factually, the most that they've segregated from the current line of games is... RSE. It is therefore entirely possible (though monumentally unlikely) that only RSE are intended to exist separately from the rest of the games.

Last edited:
I like Zinnia so it's not her I have an issue with, but in all honesty, I'm not so keen on the pre-/post-3DS timeline split myself. Mainly because I have strong doubts that Game Freak will be able to do anything meaningful with it, and it's the kind of thing that I'd really rather see done right, or not done at all. It wasn't as much of an issue back when it was just the opposing pairs of games being opposite worlds of one another. But now that it's tied up in all of the Gen VI lore, with the ultimate weapon and Mega Evolution and all of that, it's gotten more complicated, especially since they couldn't even keep the story behind Mega Evolution straight for more than a single game. (And, given that, how am I supposed to trust that they'll be able to pull off whatever the hell this is across who-knows-how-many games?)

I'll admit that it has piqued my interest, but will the payoff be worth it?

Edit: Though you know, the ultra-technical pedant in me wants to point out that at the time of this writing, the games haven't actually suggested that all of the old games are part of the other timeline. It is an entirely reasonable and intuitive assumption, yes, but factually, the most that they've segregated from the current line of games is... RSE. It is therefore entirely possible (though monumentally unlikely) that only RSE are intended to exist separately from the rest of the games.
I don't think a story needs to exactly be made for this its pretty much just explaining why theres differences between games like team magma or aqua finding thier ledgendary, this way all of the games are canon to their own universe. When remakes used to come out we assumed they rewrote the canon for that region but oras says no rse still exists is still canon. look a character that exists in emerald, anabel, and may be from emerald appears in sun and moon while not in oras. They mention rse and confirm they are still canon in their own timeline.

Going back to x and y in xys timeline megas do only exist in kalos

In oras timeline while very similar they also have megas too both are canon as they take place in thier own timelines/universes. Its kind of cop out its gamefrwak saying no matter what the games say its canon even if contradicted its because it happens in ots own universe.

In gold dark is a new type in fire red which is 3 years earlier its not but both can still be canon

In gen 5 clafairy is weak to fighting in gen 6 its not because thier types are different but both are canon still.

Will this ever turn into a plots where we jump universes? hell no its gamefreak explaining everything is canon because this is a multiverse.

I don't think a story needs to exactly be made for this its pretty much just explaining why theres differences between games like team magma or aqua finding thier ledgendary, this way all of the games are canon to their own universe. When remakes used to come out we assumed they rewrote the canon for that region but oras says no rse still exists is still canon. look a character that exists in emerald, anabel, and may be from emerald appears in sun and moon while not in oras. They mention rse and confirm they are still canon in their own timeline.

Going back to x and y in xys timeline megas do only exist in kalos

In oras timeline while very similar they also have megas too both are canon as they take place in thier own timelines/universes. Its kind of cop out its gamefrwak saying no matter what the games say its canon even if contradicted its because it happens in ots own universe.

In gold dark is a new type in fire red which is 3 years earlier its not but both can still be canon

In gen 5 clafairy is weak to fighting in gen 6 its not because thier types are different but both are canon still.

Will this ever turn into a plots where we jump universes? hell no its gamefreak explaining everything is canon because this is a multiverse.

Using it as a plot point in the Delta Episode and now cooking up this Faller thing is already a weird amount of work to go through just to justify the differences in the remakes, which is something that I doubt many people even think needs an in-universe justification (video game remakes are video game remakes, it's that simple), not to mention that the only people who really care about the "Pokémon canon" are us diehards on forums. Besides that, they were able to say "hey Black and White are parallel universes" just as clearly with only an obscure subplot.

Using it as a plot point in the Delta Episode and now cooking up this Faller thing is already a weird amount of work to go through just to justify the differences in the remakes, which is something that I doubt many people even think needs an in-universe justification (video game remakes are video game remakes, it's that simple), not to mention that the only people who really care about the "Pokémon canon" are us diehards on forums. Besides that, they were able to say "hey Black and White are parallel universes" just as clearly with only an obscure subplot.
True, maybe it could be a future plot point though. Diamond and pearl remakes are up next (remake wise ) the games that are all about time and space we could have all these universes start clashing with each other and need dialga and palkia to fix it, that way we leave giratina for the main plot like it was in Platnuim and leave the post game to dilaga and palkia. Who knows at the end of the day it feels most likely that gamefreak is jist throwing this stuff in here so they can say don't worry about the canon games like which version is canon like gen 3 where each had a different outcome with the evil teams which version was canon?

Kf we start getting more fallers though aside from looker and anabel though it better mean they're leading up to some kond of plot.

Also of anabel recalls her name hoenn and a tower why doesn't she just go there and ask around about a tower being gaurded by a strong trainer that possibly looked like her? if it was looker now instead because of his faller origins in hoenn wouldn't they know of that?

like gen 3 where each had a different outcome with the evil teams which version was canon?

You can just as easily assume that they're all parallel worlds of each other. I don't know why the fandom has long perceived an inherent need to have one specific version be the "true" canonical entry, especially when most of the games are dual releases.

Pretty much the only time prior to ORAS that continuity with a particular game has been relevant was in BW, when Cynthia mentioned the events of Platinum rather than Diamond or Pearl. And even that was just an inconsequential nod rather than anything important to the series in the long term; she could have just as easily said something more vague and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Also of anabel recalls her name hoenn and a tower why doesn't she just go there and ask around about a tower being gaurded by a strong trainer that possibly looked like her? if it was looker now instead because of his faller origins in hoenn wouldn't they know of that?

If Faller-Looker took Anabel's place at the Battle Tower then yeah, I'd have to assume that the International Police know about it. In fact, I theory I kicked around (and it does work out timeline-wise) is that Faller-Looker was actually the first Faller that the IP detected, and from there, they started keeping their eyes out for more.

especially since they couldn't even keep the story behind Mega Evolution straight for more than a single game.

I don't get why people say the story behind Mega Evolution is contradicted between the two games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, the only thing that seems wrong is that in XY the first Mega Evolution was said to be a trainer's Lucario in the Kalos region while in ORAS it's said to be Mega Rayquaza. However that could easily be explained as the person who tells you the story in XY (forgot who it is) not knowing about the Hoenn legend due to not being from there and just assuming Lucario was the first Mega, or Mega Lucario being the first "modern" Mega, as in, the first one in recent times after all the stuff with the Hoenn legends happened, while Rayquaza was the true first Mega.

I don't get why people say the story behind Mega Evolution is contradicted between the two games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, the only thing that seems wrong is that in XY the first Mega Evolution was said to be a trainer's Lucario in the Kalos region while in ORAS it's said to be Mega Rayquaza. However that could easily be explained as the person who tells you the story in XY (forgot who it is) not knowing about the Hoenn legend due to not being from there and just assuming Lucario was the first Mega, or Mega Lucario being the first "modern" Mega, as in, the first one in recent times after all the stuff with the Hoenn legends happened, while Rayquaza was the true first Mega.

It's contradicted because of this conversation:

Sycamore: "Congratulations! I see you finally obtained everything you need for Mega Evolution! A Mega Stone for the Pokémon, a Mega Ring for the Trainer, and a strong bond with your Pokémon."
Diantha: "A strong bond?"
Sycamore: "It's only a hypothesis, but I think the bond between Pokémon and Trainer is the key to this new Evolution. But what is this bond, exactly? And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region? There's still so much we don't know..."
Diantha: "Does this make you think of something like Kalos's Legendary Pokémon? Found only here in the Kalos region, right? Nowhere else? Maybe that's not a coincidence."
Sycamore: "Oh! What an excellent point! Indeed! The more you know, the more there is to research! The excitement never ends, does it?"

The message there is that Mega Evolution is something found only in Kalos - that's what makes Diantha think of the two Legendary Pokémon that are also found only in Kalos, and it seems that her remarks are, in turn, what lead to Sycamore's hypothesis in the post-game, that Xerneas/Yveltal must have been used to power the ultimate weapon 3,000 years ago, and that their energy is what was infused into the stones that became Mega and Key Stones - thus explaining why Mega Evolution is found only in Kalos, because one of Kalos's Legendary Pokémon is in fact what gave rise to the Mega Stones.

Rayquaza isn't really the issue here - there's certainly room to think that the Mega Evolution it underwent wasn't widely known about (only the Draconids and the Devon Corporation talk about it), and it doesn't exactly resemble your usual Mega Evolution process wherein the Trainer and the Pokémon hold corresponding stones. The problem is that ORAS take place many years before XY, and over the course of ORAS, the Cave of Origin ends up erupting with natural energy, which causes tons of new Mega Stones to form in Hoenn. But even before that, there were Mega Stones in Hoenn that had formed out of the meteors that fell upon the region thousands of years ago. There is absolutely no way whatsoever that this could have escaped Sycamore's notice. Especially when Sycamore is implied to have been to Hoenn to research Mega Evolution years before ORAS:

Cozmo: "I know a man, a dear friend in the Kalos region, who has been researching Mega Evolution. We worked together a few years back here at Meteor Falls researching Meteorites. I'll have to share this information with him at once. It might propel his research forward, and help future Trainers and Pokémon. I hope it does."

Granted, I think Cozmo could plausibly be talking about Lysandre - in XY, Lysandre is described by Sycamore as "[a] great man [who] supports Trainers and Pokémon research with some of the profit from the Holo Caster," which is similar to the description that Cozmo uses; plus, in the anime's Mega Evolution Special II, Lysandre does indeed do some research on Mega Evolution in Hoenn, when he's looking for the megalith, which leads to Steven and Alain battling Mega Rayquaza - an event that is referenced by Steven in ORAS. But none of this excuses the fact that Sycamore should, by all reason, have heard of the Hoennese Mega Stones by the time of XY, and shouldn't be speaking as though Mega Evolution is found only in Kalos.

But of course, perhaps this shouldn't be so surprising. XY can't even seem to keep its own internal lore about Mega Evolution straight. Sycamore described it as "a new kind of evolution," and yet, there's a very visible, generations-old tower in Shalour City that is dedicated to the practice of Mega Evolution.

We then enter surreal territory when SM come around and have Dexio and Sina talk about how weird it is to be discussing Mega Evolution in a place so far from Kalos... :confused:

*STUFF*

But of course, perhaps this shouldn't be so surprising. XY can't even seem to keep its own internal lore about Mega Evolution straight. Sycamore described it as "a new kind of evolution," and yet, there's a very visible, generations-old tower in Shalour City that is dedicated to the practice of Mega Evolution.

We then enter surreal territory when SM come around and have Dexio and Sina talk about how weird it is to be discussing Mega Evolution in a place so far from Kalos... :confused:

Wow, I certainly didn't expect such a huge explanation. lol But yeah, now that you explained it, it doesn't add up at all.

Okay, to explain from my knowledge why the discrepancies are not actually discrepancies:

1. In regards to Mega Evolution not actually being a Kalos-only phenomenon: I think I've said this before in another thread but Sycamore could have easily been mistaken (or alternatively, being too literal in his words) because Mega Evolution is a well-known phenomenon in Kalos (due to the giant crystal landmark, don't remember its name, and how the events that led to Mega Evolution's existence all occurred in Kalos) while in other regions like Alola and ORAS Hoenn, it seems to be reserved only for emergencies and/or trainers who have been confirmed by whoever decides that they are capable of yielding such responsibilities.

For Alola: Mega Evolution has no impact on the main plot whatsoever; the way the player can get the Mega Ring is through a character from Kalos. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mega Evolution in SM is present through Kalos-original characters.

For Hoenn: It seems to me that Mega Evolution was a last resort emergency option due to Maxie/Archie being fed information from Zinnia (who is from a Hoenn-native group that knows Mega Evolution due to very special circumstances; I'll explain later) that led to a catastrophe even worse than in RSE (they used the correct orbs in ORAS, thus Primal Reversion occurred). There are really only three groups in Hoenn who seem capable of Mega Evolution: Steven, the Draconids, and Maxie/Archie. Steven's knowledge isn't surprising since he is an expert on stones (also, didn't he visit Kalos at one point?). Later on, the Elite Four are given Mega Rings (or whatever they used) and from the dialogue, it seems that they actually do not know anything about it other than being able to power up their signature Pokemon, since that was all Steven let them in on. Even the Gym Leaders do not appear to have any knowledge about Mega Evolution (or in Wallace's case, he knows what it is and that's it). The Draconids were literally formed because of Mega Evolution. But given their restrictive natures, it just seems like they passed on the knowledge of Mega Evolution down the generations, eventually leaving them the only major group in Hoenn who can use Mega Evolution (this can also be a potential reason in Steven's case since he hangs out in Meteor Falls, where the people take shelter in). Maxie/Archie are ambiguous imo, but I think the most likely reason is Zinnia (alongside feeding the leader knowledge about Primal Reversion, she could have let them in on Mega Evolution's existence so that they can accelerate their plans, thus fulfilling Zinnia's goals with more probability of success).

We don't know what the situations are in the other regions (we know that Red, Blue and Cynthia are capable but that's it). But my guess is that the case is likewise everywhere else (i.e. Mega Evolution is a hushed-up topic, but still existent).

As for Faller Looker and crossing into the other version's world, I have questions regarding those topics (I haven't finished the game yet but I don't mind spoilers):

1. Okay, so it is practically certain that ORAS Looker is a Faller while SM Looker is not. Do we know anything about XY Looker in regards to Faller status? From what I can remember (and mind, I might be remembering wrong), XY Looker was completely low-key, struggled to make a living (while still maintaining his job) and gave zero backstory about himself (which seems a little unusual for him, but not that much). Also, didn't Looker have custody of Emma after the mission? If so, why isn't she seen with him in SM? If that's the case, then I think it's likely that XY Looker is the Faller. Also, do we have any leads whatsoever on the identity of the Faller who was killed ten years prior to SM? Is there a good reason why that Faller would not be Looker? (I know that the time-gap between ORAS and SM isn't confirmed but I don't think 10+ years is too much of a stress, barring Wally.) But obviously, if this is the case, then XY Looker is not the Faller.

In terms of crossing over dimensions from the Sun universe to Moon and vice-versa, what was the reason for that speculation to begin with? And why is this theory not plausible?

Okay, to explain from my knowledge why the discrepancies are not actually discrepancies:

1. In regards to Mega Evolution not actually being a Kalos-only phenomenon: I think I've said this before in another thread but Sycamore could have easily been mistaken (or alternatively, being too literal in his words) because Mega Evolution is a well-known phenomenon in Kalos (due to the giant crystal landmark, don't remember its name, and how the events that led to Mega Evolution's existence all occurred in Kalos) while in other regions like Alola and ORAS Hoenn, it seems to be reserved only for emergencies and/or trainers who have been confirmed by whoever decides that they are capable of yielding such responsibilities.

For Alola: Mega Evolution has no impact on the main plot whatsoever; the way the player can get the Mega Ring is through a character from Kalos. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mega Evolution in SM is present through Kalos-original characters.

For Hoenn: It seems to me that Mega Evolution was a last resort emergency option due to Maxie/Archie being fed information from Zinnia (who is from a Hoenn-native group that knows Mega Evolution due to very special circumstances; I'll explain later) that led to a catastrophe even worse than in RSE (they used the correct orbs in ORAS, thus Primal Reversion occurred). There are really only three groups in Hoenn who seem capable of Mega Evolution: Steven, the Draconids, and Maxie/Archie. Steven's knowledge isn't surprising since he is an expert on stones (also, didn't he visit Kalos at one point?). Later on, the Elite Four are given Mega Rings (or whatever they used) and from the dialogue, it seems that they actually do not know anything about it other than being able to power up their signature Pokemon, since that was all Steven let them in on. Even the Gym Leaders do not appear to have any knowledge about Mega Evolution (or in Wallace's case, he knows what it is and that's it). The Draconids were literally formed because of Mega Evolution. But given their restrictive natures, it just seems like they passed on the knowledge of Mega Evolution down the generations, eventually leaving them the only major group in Hoenn who can use Mega Evolution (this can also be a potential reason in Steven's case since he hangs out in Meteor Falls, where the people take shelter in). Maxie/Archie are ambiguous imo, but I think the most likely reason is Zinnia (alongside feeding the leader knowledge about Primal Reversion, she could have let them in on Mega Evolution's existence so that they can accelerate their plans, thus fulfilling Zinnia's goals with more probability of success).

We don't know what the situations are in the other regions (we know that Red, Blue and Cynthia are capable but that's it). But my guess is that the case is likewise everywhere else (i.e. Mega Evolution is a hushed-up topic, but still existent).

As for Faller Looker and crossing into the other version's world, I have questions regarding those topics (I haven't finished the game yet but I don't mind spoilers):

1. Okay, so it is practically certain that ORAS Looker is a Faller while SM Looker is not. Do we know anything about XY Looker in regards to Faller status? From what I can remember (and mind, I might be remembering wrong), XY Looker was completely low-key, struggled to make a living (while still maintaining his job) and gave zero backstory about himself (which seems a little unusual for him, but not that much). Also, didn't Looker have custody of Emma after the mission? If so, why isn't she seen with him in SM? If that's the case, then I think it's likely that XY Looker is the Faller. Also, do we have any leads whatsoever on the identity of the Faller who was killed ten years prior to SM? Is there a good reason why that Faller would not be Looker? (I know that the time-gap between ORAS and SM isn't confirmed but I don't think 10+ years is too much of a stress, barring Wally.) But obviously, if this is the case, then XY Looker is not the Faller.

In terms of crossing over dimensions from the Sun universe to Moon and vice-versa, what was the reason for that speculation to begin with? And why is this theory not plausible?
I believe the only info we got on ghe other faller was that it was also female, maybee emma is a faller?

I think I've said this before in another thread but Sycamore could have easily been mistaken (or alternatively, being too literal in his words) because Mega Evolution is a well-known phenomenon in Kalos (due to the giant crystal landmark, don't remember its name, and how the events that led to Mega Evolution's existence all occurred in Kalos) while in other regions like Alola and ORAS Hoenn, it seems to be reserved only for emergencies and/or trainers who have been confirmed by whoever decides that they are capable of yielding such responsibilities.

But it's not so much that people in other regions are using Mega Evolution. I'd never assume that in the long time that Mega Evolution has been known about in Kalos, nobody has ever gone there, picked up some stones, and left (in fact, Steven did exactly that). The issue is that there are indeed "examples of Mega Evolution" in Hoenn that are fundamentally disconnected from the Kalosian history of Mega Evolution, and not even just in terms of distant legends - the Cave of Origin event was a high-profile catastrophe that occurred within the last several years before XY, and created many Mega Stones that have nothing to do with their Kalosian counterparts.

The best excuse I can patch together is that Sycamore is specifically researching Kalos's history of Mega Evolution - the scientist at the Devon Corporation who tells us about Rayquaza's mikado organ says that the information about Rayquaza and Hoenn's meteorites forms the "current theory" of Mega Evolution, but it obviously doesn't say anything about the ultimate weapon or about how Mega Stones came to form in Kalos. And Sycamore does refer to Mega Evolution as "the Kalos region's greatest mystery." I suppose it could be that he knows about the Hoennese Mega Stones and the Cave of Origin event, but he's cross-checked that data with Kalos's meteor record and it doesn't work out like it does in Hoenn. But that's all just me doing my best to fill the gaps - I think it's pretty clear that Mega Evolution was originally conceived as something unique to Kalos (the official website for XY also calls it "a transformation found only in the Kalos region," and they just did a bad job of retconning it into Hoenn.

I don't think anybody's saying that it's weird for Dexio/Sina to give us a Key Stone, especially since SM are set after XY. What's weird is that they're back to talking as if Mega Evolution is something you'd only hear about in Kalos.

What about Lisia? (Never mind, I'll answer that - she travels all over the world anyway, but she's also a Sootopolitan by way of being Wallace's niece. Mega Nepotism.)

But even beyond her, the Devon Corporation seems to be aware of the Draconid's lore about Rayquaza. The scientist I mentioned above says,

> "We had to do a whole lot of research into Mega Evolution to develop Infinity Energy. It was all based on the legend of Rayquaza that the Draconid people passed down for the past several thousand years."

As we know, Infinity Energy was developed by 52-year-old Joseph Stone's grandfather. So this lore about Rayquaza has been accessible for quite some time.

(Although really, this line almost makes things more bizarre. We were initially told at the beginning of the Delta Episode that Infinity Energy was inspired by the ultimate weapon. So if it was inspired by the weapon, and was also based on the legend of Mega Rayquaza, then... how in the blue hell is Sycamore only just recently puzzling it together in the post-game of XY that the weapon has some connection to Kalos's Mega Stones?)

XY Looker knows his name and works for the International Police. ORAS Looker could not remember his name or his job, and from what we've seen, Fallers don't seem to recover their memories.

No, Looker did not have custody of Emma by the end of the Looker Bureau story. He left her in charge of the Bureau as he departed for the IP headquarters with Xerosic in tow.

There are absolutely no clues whatsoever as to the identity of their Faller teammate. All we know is that it was a woman (so, it wasn't Faller Looker).

The fact that in the post-game, you can enter a portal at the Altar of the Sunne/Moone which takes you into a version of the world where the Altar and Lake's names are flipped, and the time of day is inverted (making your game's world as though it were that of the other version).

The reason why I don't think we're travelling into "the other game's world," though, is because we cannot obtain the other game's version exclusives, we cannot evolve Rockruff or Cosmoem into their other-game evolutions, and because the book at the Malie Library still talks about the appearance of the beast that's on the cover of the game we're playing. So I personally think it's less that were travelling into a parallel universe, and more that Nebby is just allowing us to dive into a dimension of our own game's world where the inferior beast's influence is a little more apparent.

Last edited:
To me it's not as much about Zinnia saying it as it is about Game Freak bothering to include that particular kind of statement into the games.
I have to agree with this. I liked it better when the games were a sort of continuation of each other. GSC states that the Steel type was newly discovered, but with Steel type existing in FRLG, that got retconned in HGSS. I prefer remakes that simply retcon previous games rather than divide them into different alternative universes. It just makes the entire setting convoluted, and it's given me doubt over whether FRLG and HGSS exist in the "main" timeline or not.

When SM spoke of Anabel coming from a tower, I had hoped that it meant that ORAS is not canon and that Emerald still is. Dexio and Sina are in SM and they reference Mega Evolution, so it convinced me that Emerald, XY and SM are all part of the main timeline.

I have to agree with this. I liked it better when the games were a sort of continuation of each other. GSC states that the Steel type was newly discovered, but with Steel type existing in FRLG, that got retconned in HGSS. I prefer remakes that simply retcon previous games rather than divide them into different alternative universes. It just makes the entire setting convoluted, and it's given me doubt over whether FRLG and HGSS exist in the "main" timeline or not.

When SM spoke of Anabel coming from a tower, I had hoped that it meant that ORAS is not canon and that Emerald still is. Dexio and Sina are in SM and they reference Mega Evolution, so it convinced me that Emerald, XY and SM are all part of the main timeline.

Emerald is not part of the current timeline, but the Anabel in SM IS from Emerald. There's 3 timelines*.

Beta Timeline: Red -> Crystal -> dead end*

Alpha Timeline: FireRed / Emerald (concurrent) -> HeartGold / Platinum (concurrent) -> White -> White 2 -> dead end

Mega Timeline: Omega Ruby / Pokemon Origins (concurrent) -> unspecified Johto and Sinnoh adventures (concurrent) -> unspecified Unova adventure -> unspecified second Unova adventure / XY (concurrent) -> Sun / Moon

The Emerald Anabel (alpha!anabel) fell into a wormhole at some point after the events of Emerald and was transported to the Mega Timeline, where she became chief of Interpol's UB task force at some point prior to SM.

So right now there are 2 Anabels coexisting in the Mega timeline - Mega!Anabel may or may not still be Salon Maiden, whereas Alpha!Anabel is in Interpol.

Meanwhile Alpha Timeline has NO anabels - she's a missing person case that will likely never be solved.

*the beta timeline has not been officially confirmed to be canon - we just know that there's a mega timeline and a non-mega timeline. however, it's relatively ubiquitous fanon.

Strictly speaking, FRLG and HGSS would presumably be a part of the world without Mega Evolution.

Similar events still happened in the Megaverse, though, just in a slightly different way. The differences are probably minimal enough to where FRLG and HGSS sufficiently capture the gist of it regardless.

I can't really imagine there being an easy way to reconcile this logic with the fact that in SM, we can obtain the Primal Reversion Orbs (which are held items, rather than the key items that they were in Emerald), teach Rayquaza Dragon Ascent so that it can Mega Evolve, and battle a Wally who uses a Mega Gallade. None of that stuff was there in Emerald, and we know that at least one Faller is confirmed to have come from another universe (and there's little reason to doubt that ORAS Looker did as well). That opens the possibility that Anabel fell from the universe where Emerald takes place, into the current universe which has Mega Evolution.

On top of that, what logic is there in separating ORAS from XY/SM in favor of Emerald (which shows a Hoenn that doesn't feature Mega Evolution), when ORAS are the games that specifically drew a line between "themselves + any other games that feature Mega Evolution and the ultimate weapon," and "a version of Hoenn without Mega Evolution" (which RSE match the description of)?

Last edited:

No you're missing the point of the thread Anabel is from emerald, but theres anofher anabel from this timeline thats in the oras hoenn, who might not even be a trainer for all we know. Emerald is canon, so is Gold and Heart Gold, fire red and red because each is its own universe. Suicunes theme in oras is that of crystals because hoopa grabs suicune from that timeline.

This is what I mean see? there's no need to be confused on whats canon or the main timeline, there is no main timeline there are many timelines and each one is canon and some can even cross timelines like anabel did from the nonmega emerald to the mega sun and moon timeline, they way this is done is exactly like pokemon trading anabel come through to the mega timeline from a worm hole that worm hole that swapped her into this timeline might be the same thing that swaps our pokemon between timelines like when we trade between versions or transfer to future generations (past generations in the case of the time capsule)

Emerald is not part of the current timeline, but the Anabel in SM IS from Emerald. There's 3 timelines*.

Beta Timeline: Red -> Crystal -> dead end*

Alpha Timeline: FireRed / Emerald (concurrent) -> HeartGold / Platinum (concurrent) -> White -> White 2 -> dead end

Mega Timeline: Omega Ruby / Pokemon Origins (concurrent) -> unspecified Johto and Sinnoh adventures (concurrent) -> unspecified Unova adventure -> unspecified second Unova adventure / XY (concurrent) -> Sun / Moon

The Emerald Anabel (alpha!anabel) fell into a wormhole at some point after the events of Emerald and was transported to the Mega Timeline, where she became chief of Interpol's UB task force at some point prior to SM.

So right now there are 2 Anabels coexisting in the Mega timeline - Mega!Anabel may or may not still be Salon Maiden, whereas Alpha!Anabel is in Interpol.

Meanwhile Alpha Timeline has NO anabels - she's a missing person case that will likely never be solved.

*the beta timeline has not been officially confirmed to be canon - we just know that there's a mega timeline and a non-mega timeline. however, it's relatively ubiquitous fanon.

I like this. Also i saw a cool theory that the time capsule caused missing no and the glitches and destroyed reaility of red blue gold and slivers timeline

I didn't see Anabel in ORAS so I don't think that she was in the game or even referenced.

I didn't see Anabel in ORAS so I don't think that she was in the game or even referenced.

She wasn't. That's why we have no idea what Mega!Anabel is up to these days - she might become Salon Maiden when the battle frontier in ORAS is completed, but then again she might not. All we know is that there IS a second Anabel somewhere or other in the Mega timeline who is not the same one that runs Interpol's UB task force

Honestly, the fact that Anabel, nor any of the other facilitators, weren't even mentioned in ORAS makes me skeptical that they even existed in that game. When I played Sun, I was under the impression that Emerald! Anabel from drawn into the Ultra Space and then back into the same Pokemon world, not between mirror dimensions.

This crud is so convoluted. ORAS would have benefited from retconning RSE, not as an alternative universe.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom