• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[Spoilers] Multiple Pokemon Universes Theory

I didn't see Anabel in ORAS so I don't think that she was in the game or even referenced.
But we know the battle frontier will exist as its being built lucy and Brandon and scott are mentioned its logical to assume all the frontier brains exist somewhere in oras hoenn we just never meet them.

Also oras looker had the audionite so hes from the mega timeline then unless that washed into his pocket sometime after he landed in the ocea so maybe hes from a future game where he gets sucked into an ultra wormhole? in that case we see where future looker ends up at the begining of the timeline in oras and then goes to sinoh until hes sucked in again its a time loop :O

So maybe in a future game looker will be sucked into an ultra wormhole?

Honestly, the fact that Anabel, nor any of the other facilitators, weren't even mentioned in ORAS makes me skeptical that they even existed in that game. When I played Sun, I was under the impression that Emerald! Anabel from drawn into the Ultra Space and then back into the same Pokemon world, not between mirror dimensions.

This crud is so convoluted. ORAS would have benefited from retconning RSE, not as an alternative universe.

Scott lucy brandon are all mentioned, juan is mentioned too I think by name by lisia.

Last edited:
Scott lucy brandon are all mentioned, juan is mentioned too I think by name by lisia.

Lisia alludes to Tucker as well:

Lisia: "Oh, yeah, you battled Uncle Wall, right? Is he really as strong as they say? All his friends seem to be super-strong Trainers, too. Like that one guy obsessed with stones, or that Trainer that looks like a star... Hmm. And you still beat him. I guess that means that… You really are amazing, <player>!"

Emerald_Dome_Ace_Tucker.png

Of course he and Wallace would be pals. :p

A pokemon game with a plot to destroy the multiverse would be very interesting to see. In sinnoh, Cyrus planned to create a new universe which would wipe out the current one.

A pokemon game with a plot to destroy the multiverse would be very interesting to see. In sinnoh, Cyrus planned to create a new universe which would wipe out the current one.

Yo it would be dope if cyrus is the one causing all of this from the distortion world :O resetting the universes until he finds his ideal one.

Personally, a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" scenario is just about the last thing I'd want to see - Cyrus's bid to unmake and replace the universe in DPP was already ludicrously overblown, and too nebulously defined to have any real meaning.

Personally, a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" scenario is just about the last thing I'd want to see - Cyrus's bid to unmake and replace the universe in DPP was already ludicrously overblown, and too nebulously defined to have any real meaning.
Nothing is too big or too dark for pokemon. Some of the plots we had involved genocide. GF can take it up to the next level if they want.

Nothing is too big or too dark for pokemon. Some of the plots we had involved genocide. GF can take it up to the next level if they want.

I didn't say it was "too dark" (though on that point, I'd argue that yeah, some things probably are too dark - unless we're expecting them to start handling themes like rape or coke addiction), I said it was stupidly overblown. Wanting to destroy the universe and remake it solely for oneself because you hate the concept of spirit is a laughably over-the-top goal. At the very least, Lysandre's was something tangible. We can picture what a world where only Team Flare has survived would look like, especially since genocide has been attempted in our world. "A world without spirit" is way too abstract to mean anything in particular to us, since we're never given any firm idea of what it means to be without spirit. And really... Cyrus's line of thinking is that bad feelings stem from the soul, so the soul is inherently broken, so the solution to this is to rip the entire universe apart? It's nonsense, really.

But it's not so much that people in other regions are using Mega Evolution. I'd never assume that in the long time that Mega Evolution has been known about in Kalos, nobody has ever gone there, picked up some stones, and left (in fact, Steven did exactly that). The issue is that there are indeed "examples of Mega Evolution" in Hoenn that are fundamentally disconnected from the Kalosian history of Mega Evolution, and not even just in terms of distant legends - the Cave of Origin event was a high-profile catastrophe that occurred within the last several years before XY, and created many Mega Stones that have nothing to do with their Kalosian counterparts.
Okay, we can't really consider the Mega Stone creation in Hoenn as completely independent from the Kalos events. First, I don't exactly recall the Hoenn event that brought forth Mega Evolution as something explicitly stated in the Hoenn myths. Second, from my knowledge (and according to Bulbapedia), the Kyogre vs. Groudon feud that started involving Primal Reversions and Mega Evolution is separate from the previous feud that occurred in ancient times (thereby creating the lands and seas, most likely preceding the existence of humans). The vanilla feud (the two titans are not in their Primal Reversion forms) is present in both versions of Hoenn (which makes sense since this feud preceded the Kalos War). The Primal Reversion feud, on the other hand, took place after the Kalos War, as did that catastrophic meteorite event that Mega Rayquaza took care of. If you're correct in that Mega Stones from Hoenn was brought forth from the actions of the titans and the Cave of Origin, it had to have been from the second feud. Third, it was hinted by Zinnia that the main factor that made the Gen III-V universe different from the current one was the absence of the Ultimate Weapon, AKA no Mega Evolution. Except she told the tale in direct reference to Hoenn, not Kalos. Thus, the existence of Mega Evolution in ORAS Hoenn would have had to do with Kalos events, or else we technically should have had Mega Evolution in RSE.

Which is not to say that the point of divergence from the two universes happened exactly at the time of war. In overall perspective, 3,000 years is not a long time period when compared to the start of the world thousands of millennia ago. My theory is that the point of divergence was simply creation of separate universes that traces back to Arceus's time (in the form of maybe more than one Arceus that each made their own worlds?). Plus, Zinnia's words should not be taken any more literally than Sycamore's words should. But in the end, there is no denying that XY and ORAS are separate from the previous generations up to RSE. We know that the Kalos War was a thing in both XY and ORAS while it was not before.

The best excuse I can patch together is that Sycamore is specifically researching Kalos's history of Mega Evolution - the scientist at the Devon Corporation who tells us about Rayquaza's mikado organ says that the information about Rayquaza and Hoenn's meteorites forms the "current theory" of Mega Evolution, but it obviously doesn't say anything about the ultimate weapon or about how Mega Stones came to form in Kalos. And Sycamore does refer to Mega Evolution as "the Kalos region's greatest mystery." I suppose it could be that he knows about the Hoennese Mega Stones and the Cave of Origin event, but he's cross-checked that data with Kalos's meteor record and it doesn't work out like it does in Hoenn. But that's all just me doing my best to fill the gaps - I think it's pretty clear that Mega Evolution was originally conceived as something unique to Kalos (the official website for XY also calls it "a transformation found only in the Kalos region," and they just did a bad job of retconning it into Hoenn.

I don't think anybody's saying that it's weird for Dexio/Sina to give us a Key Stone, especially since SM are set after XY. What's weird is that they're back to talking as if Mega Evolution is something you'd only hear about in Kalos.

Okay, thing is, Sycamore is allowed to make mistakes. But even then, like you said, SM talks about Mega Evolution the same way that Sycamore described it. Without these lines, I would be more inclined to say that Game Freak retconned a previous statement while in the form of making it seem that characters from before were unaware of certain events/phenomena present in a future game that did the retconning (which happened before). In my perspective, nothing that Sycamore said in XY creates a continuity error. Like you said, he might be aware of events in Hoenn. But remember that the urban Hoenn legends are kept in the hush-hush (especially the ORAS-exclusive ones). Like I pointed out repeatedly, Mega Evolution does not seem to be widely used in Hoenn as much as in Kalos. In terms of directly contradicting elements like whether Lucario or Rayquaza was the first to Mega Evolve, it can be explained via, again, the hush-hush of Hoenn legends. I'm pretty sure that Rayquaza Mega Evolved before Lucario (given that Lucario's Mega Evolution seems to be a relatively modern event, like, not more than a couple centuries ago) while Rayquaza's was from ancient history. But remember that Rayquaza's Mega Evolution is completely unique; even in the Hoenn legends, it transformed through the people's prayers and the energy from the meteors, or whatever it was, not through its bond with its trainer (which it didn't even have). From what we were told, the meteoroid disaster was a Hoenn event, not worldwide (or at least to the extent of how widespread the panic was). It's not much of a stretch that people assumed Lucario's transformation to be the first due to the lack of widespread knowledge of the actual first one.

(Although really, this line almost makes things more bizarre. We were initially told at the beginning of the Delta Episode that Infinity Energy was inspired by the ultimate weapon. So if it was inspired by the weapon, and was also based on the legend of Mega Rayquaza, then... how in the blue hell is Sycamore only just recently puzzling it together in the post-game of XY that the weapon has some connection to Kalos's Mega Stones?)
Okay at this point, I'm left to assume that Sycamore is not as well-read as his profession would indicate him to be (and this is only if we are even interpreting his words correctly).

XY Looker knows his name and works for the International Police. ORAS Looker could not remember his name or his job, and from what we've seen, Fallers don't seem to recover their memories.

There is a pretty large time-gap between ORAS and XY. What's keeping Faller Looker from being located by the International Police and being told who he probably was in his own world when his non-Faller counterpart is not exactly an unknown character? Even if the puzzles are not as easily pieced together as I am making it out to be, they had a couple years (several, actually) to hear about a second Looker washed up shore, locate him, and eventually piece together that he is a Faller. Didn't he have his uniform on when he washed up ashore? Wouldn't that indicate that he had a badge to lead him to International Police?

No, Looker did not have custody of Emma by the end of the Looker Bureau story. He left her in charge of the Bureau as he departed for the IP headquarters with Xerosic in tow.

There are absolutely no clues whatsoever as to the identity of their Faller teammate. All we know is that it was a woman (so, it wasn't Faller Looker).

Oh okay, so then I guess nothing confirms XY Looker as the Faller. But why would Faller Looker not have a role in the Mega Evolution universe? Yes, he had amnesia. That doesn't make him vegetose. Anabel seemed fine.

The main reason why I am not inclined to rule out XY Looker as the Faller is that otherwise, ORAS Looker has no contribution to the plot whatsoever (for now at least).

The fact that in the post-game, you can enter a portal at the Altar of the Sunne/Moone which takes you into a version of the world where the Altar and Lake's names are flipped, and the time of day is inverted (making your game's world as though it were that of the other version).

The reason why I don't think we're travelling into "the other game's world," though, is because we cannot obtain the other game's version exclusives, we cannot evolve Rockruff or Cosmoem into their other-game evolutions, and because the book at the Malie Library still talks about the appearance of the beast that's on the cover of the game we're playing. So I personally think it's less that were travelling into a parallel universe, and more that Nebby is just allowing us to dive into a dimension of our own game's world where the inferior beast's influence is a little more apparent.

Oh okay. I haven't finished the game so I never played through this so I wouldn't be a strong debater on this topic for now. But just from what you have said here, I'm pretty sure that the reason why we cannot catch the other version's exclusives is because the purpose of version exclusives was so that people would trade (it has been that purpose from the very beginning). I would think that even if Game Freak intended to make the portal a passage to the other version, they wouldn't make that element an opportunity to obtain version exclusives through regular gameplay (they haven't made Pokemon that easy to this extent yet. Not yet.) As for the book, it is a stronger argument but again, not everything should be taken literally.

So, wait, are we able to travel the entire region through the portal?

On a completely unrelated note - I'd be careful about using the logic of "they used [character/Pokémon]'s theme from [old game]; this means that they are from the old universe." Colress and Grimsley both use their battle themes from BW/B2W2 in SM even though the versions of them that we're seeing are native to the Megaverse.

Okay, we can't really consider the Mega Stone creation in Hoenn as completely independent from the Kalos events. First, I don't exactly recall the Hoenn event that brought forth Mega Evolution as something explicitly stated in the Hoenn myths.

It's not explicitly stated, but we can piece it together broadly from what Zinnia tells us, and from the transformation of the Meteorite that we carry throughout the story into a Mega Stone. Here's Zinnia's dialogue:

> "Thousands of years ago, in the primal age long lost, the world was overflowing with natural energy. Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre fought over that energy in endless, furious clashes. In the face of Primal Groudon and Kyogre's great power, people could do nothing. The only choice was to watch as disaster upon disaster swept over them. It was in such a time that a great many meteoroids poured from the darkness of space, from a place higher even than the heavens. And the meteoroids fell in their multitude upon a waterfall that had long been home to a tribe of Dragon-type-Pokémon users... [...] The meteors shone with a rainbow brilliance, as if some great life was held within."

> "The great meteoroid was the first of many disasters to befall humanity. When it punched into the planet, the land cracked beneath it, and a great welling of natural energy poured from beneath Hoenn. Thirsting for that energy, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon once again woke. [...] The people had a wish—a memory from a thousand years before... They wished that the Legendary Pokémon clad in emerald light would appear again. The huge Meteorite that lay at the heart of Sootopolis gave off a boundless brilliance. In its brilliance, it resembled a vast and powerful Key Stone."

Now check out the [key item] Meteorite's description, when it's in its final stage of "mutation" and most closely resembles a Mega Stone:

> "A Meteorite that you got at Mt. Chimney. Some sort of pattern has risen to the surface, and it's shining with seven colors of light."

Remember that we received this Meteorite from Maxie/Archie, who had taken it to Mt. Chimney, where they told us (I'll use Maxie's dialogue for the sake of simplicity)...

> "The power contained in the Meteorite... If we merge the explosive energy contained within the planet's core with the Meteorite's power... [...] Our research has led us here, to Mt. Chimney. Yes, here...to this very Meteorite. If we create the right conditions, we should find ourselves able to alter this Meteorite's qualities. Yes, even into a Mega Stone. Even into a Key Stone."

What this all means is that meteorites can become Mega Stones or Key Stones when they are steeped in natural energy, similar to how Kalos's Mega Stones are rocks that were irradiated by Pokémon life energy. In every instance listed above, we have examples of meteorites coming into environments where natural energy is present. In the first example, the world was flowing with natural energy, and the meteorites that fell upon Hoenn at that time displayed a "rainbow brilliance" (like that of a Key Stone, or eventually of the Meteorite in our bag). In the second example, the natural energy of the world had faded over the past millennium (or, as I believe, it'd been mostly consumed by Groudon and Kyogre), but the large meteor that slammed into Sootopolis cracked right into the well of natural energy in the Cave of Origin, and became like a "vast and powerful" Key Stone. And then of course we have our own Meteorite, which gradually turns into a Mega Stone over the course of the game, until it is finally consumed by Rayquaza to charge its mikado organ. It would seem that Maxie/Archie did indeed manage to start the process of converting it into a Mega Stone, but weren't able to finish it, so it took longer to transform.

Second, from my knowledge (and according to Bulbapedia), the Kyogre vs. Groudon feud that started involving Primal Reversions and Mega Evolution is separate from the previous feud that occurred in ancient times (thereby creating the lands and seas, most likely preceding the existence of humans). The vanilla feud (the two titans are not in their Primal Reversion forms) is present in both versions of Hoenn (which makes sense since this feud preceded the Kalos War). The Primal Reversion feud, on the other hand, took place after the Kalos War, as did that catastrophic meteorite event that Mega Rayquaza took care of.

To be honest, I don't know much about the "vanilla" feud. It's been a long, long time since I played RSE, so I can't really remember what they say about Groudon and Kyogre's ancient clashes. I wish that I did, because I would like to compare it to what ORAS says.

Thus, the existence of Mega Evolution in ORAS Hoenn would have had to do with Kalos events, or else we technically should have had Mega Evolution in RSE.

I agree with you there. I admit that it's just a theory, but my explanation for that is that the impact of the ultimate weapon is what stirred the planet's natural energy, which awakened Groudon and Kyogre (or, if they were already awake and fighting, then it provided them with considerably more firepower). We know that Hoenn's biodiversity was a lot richer 3,000 years ago, according to Birch's research. I think from that, we may be able to conclude that the first conflict Zinnia talks about, which was halted by regular Rayquaza, dates back to 3,000 years ago, around the time of the weapon. In my head, the scenario play out as follows:

- AZ uses the weapon to devastate Kalos. The blast is so strong that it jolts the planet and kicks up a vast amount of natural energy. This is what causes the world to be "overflowing" with it, as Zinnia describes.
- With the energy now loosened, Groudon and Kyogre assume their Primal forms. They devastate Hoenn's environments, which causes many of its more diverse species to flee.
- At this time, meteors fall upon the proto-Draconids' home (at Meteor Falls), and these meteors become Mega Stones and Key Stones by soaking up the flowing natural energy.

That would explain why RSE Hoenn doesn't have Mega Stones, but it doesn't explain why Sycamore thinks there are only examples of Mega Evolution in Kalos.

My theory is that the point of divergence was simply creation of separate universes that traces back to Arceus's time (in the form of maybe more than one Arceus that each made their own worlds?).

I do agree that the divergence must occur further back than 3,000 years. Fairy types already existed before the war, and they're not present in the other timeline. Plus, the meteorites that plague Megaverse-Hoenn seem nonexistent in the other timeline, or at the very least, much lesser in magnitude. In fact, I want to reiterate that Zinnia not only says that the weapon was never built in the other timeline, but that the Kalos war never happened to begin with. So there really must have been something even older than the weapon that caused the divergence, in order for Kalos to have a completely different sociopolitical climate.

Okay, thing is, Sycamore is allowed to make mistakes.

Yes, but mistakes have to make sense in context. There's really no good reason why Sycamore shouldn't know that there are examples of Mega Evolution elsewhere. Although really, I think it's less about Sycamore's line and more about the conclusion that Diantha draws from it. She asks, "found only here in the Kalos region, right? Nowhere else? Maybe that's not a coincidence." That's the point at which Sycamore should be cutting in to say, "Oh, well, here and Hoenn, anyway." Instead, he acts like she's just caused him to have an epiphany. "But of course! It must be tied to the Legendary Pokémon of Kalos!" Which informs his theory in the post-game, about them having been a component in the weapon 3,000 years ago.

But even then, like you said, SM talks about Mega Evolution the same way that Sycamore described it. Without these lines, I would be more inclined to say that Game Freak retconned a previous statement while in the form of making it seem that characters from before were unaware of certain events/phenomena present in a future game that did the retconning (which happened before).

Alright, I think I'm getting a tense-ion headache, if you know what I mean. <:p

But remember that the urban Hoenn legends are kept in the hush-hush (especially the ORAS-exclusive ones). Like I pointed out repeatedly, Mega Evolution does not seem to be widely used in Hoenn as much as in Kalos.

I think you may be overstating the "hushed" nature of Hoenn's legends. They can't be that secret, because we know that the Devon Corporation based their development of Infinity Energy on the Draconid's telling of Rayquaza's past intercessions.

Furthermore, Mega Evolution doesn't seem to be used any moreso in Kalos than it is in Hoenn. Only Diantha and Korrina's family are shown to be capable of using it prior to the events of the story, and there are several NPCs around Kalos who seem honestly befuddled when you mention Mega Evolution to them, or have only heard of it in passing.

There is a pretty large time-gap between ORAS and XY. What's keeping Faller Looker from being located by the International Police and being told who he probably was in his own world when his non-Faller counterpart is not exactly an unknown character? Even if the puzzles are not as easily pieced together as I am making it out to be, they had a couple years (several, actually) to hear about a second Looker washed up shore, locate him, and eventually piece together that he is a Faller. Didn't he have his uniform on when he washed up ashore? Wouldn't that indicate that he had a badge to lead him to International Police?

Well he wouldn't have had his badge. He says that the only thing he found on his person was the Audinite he gives you.

But of course, I don't think I said that he couldn't have been found by the International Police. In fact, I've theorized that he may be what alerted them to the Faller phenomenon in the first place.

The main reason why I am not inclined to rule out XY Looker as the Faller is that otherwise, ORAS Looker has no contribution to the plot whatsoever (for now at least).

I figure it's something they're building up to. They only just now explained to us what Fallers are, which is when we're supposed to think back to ORAS and go, "Oh hey!". I don't think it's quite time for us to see "Chapter 12: It's Like Looking in a Mirror!" yet.

So, wait, are we able to travel the entire region through the portal?

If by that you mean, "Can we travel anywhere in the opposite world?", then yes.

Last edited:
I think the trouble with the idea about the old games getting moved to an alternate timeline is that it requires the old games themselves to become a concrete timeline, which isn't possible. A lot of players made a lot of different choices, and their games could very well still have their files on it. For example, going with the idea of Hoopa pulling Suicune from the Crystal timeline (which also assumes Hoopa's rings can travel between timelines/dimensions and possibly time in addition to space), most players probably caught Suicune when playing Crystal. While not exactly likely (I have an old Crystal cartridge myself and know how bad it can get), it is possible for someone to still have a save file with their Suicune on it-so how could Suicune be in both timelines at once? And on top of that, how would you choose which player's Suicune it would be?

I feel like my explanation might be coming off as rather silly (I have trouble being clear sometimes), so let me try again just in case-even though most of the story in Pokemon Games is already set for the player, there's no true timeline for any game, which causes some errors in the idea that some wormholes/rings open between the two.

EDIT: And, heck, here I am just fully getting the idea of the Mega/NonMega universes. I'm definitely understanding a lot more of where that comes from. I don't have anything to contribute to that now-I'll need a bit of time to collect my thoughts-but I would like to ask, how do version differences factor into the timeline? e.g. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum-is there one "true story" of the three? Or are they each a separate timeline, and rather than one Mega and one NonMega universe, there's a bunch of different universes that could be considered Mega and NonMega universes? (which kind of feels like it just dissolves back into the "all games are in parallel universes to each other")

I'm not sure how else the Wormholes could have been involved with Anabel, though. I considered the idea that Sun/Moon takes place before Anabel joins the frontier, but that doesn't really make sense, either-how would you explain the lack of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in Hoenn? (though, I guess it's not like we haven't had additions to games go unexplained-AFAIK, there's no explanation for the pre-Fairy typing Pokemon being weak to Fighting-type moves, nor Magnemite and Magneton being affected by Poison-type moves in Gen 1)

Also, golly, @Esserise that explanation of the rift at the altar is really detailed! I never thought of it like that, but it makes a lot of sense!

Last edited:
I think the trouble with the idea about the old games getting moved to an alternate timeline is that it requires the old games themselves to become a concrete timeline, which isn't possible. A lot of players made a lot of different choices, and their games could very well still have their files on it. For example, going with the idea of Hoopa pulling Suicune from the Crystal timeline (which also assumes Hoopa's rings can travel between timelines/dimensions and possibly time in addition to space), most players probably caught Suicune when playing Crystal. While not exactly likely (I have an old Crystal cartridge myself and know how bad it can get), it is possible for someone to still have a save file with their Suicune on it-so how could Suicune be in both timelines at once? And on top of that, how would you choose which player's Suicune it would be?

I feel like my explanation might be coming off as rather silly (I have trouble being clear sometimes), so let me try again just in case-even though most of the story in Pokemon Games is already set for the player, there's no true timeline for any game, which causes some errors in the idea that some wormholes/rings open between the two.

I think we'd kind of have to assume that there's a broadly canonical version of events that represent the "true" version of the story without all of our personal touches. So, the "true" version of Crystal may be one in which a boy/girl named Chris/Kris battled Suicune, but proved themselves to it by defeating it rather than capturing it. After that, it could be scooped up by Hoopa - although I want to reiterate that "using old music" may not be the most reliable indicator of something/someone being from a different universe, since both Colress and Grimsley use their original themes from Gen V in SM.

Also, golly, @Esserise that explanation of the rift at the altar is really detailed! I never thought of it like that, but it makes a lot of sense!

Thanks! Glad it made sense to someone. :p

Although as I mentioned in a different thread, I'm beginning to wonder whether or not Solgaleo/Lunala's influence on Rockruff/Cosmoem is truly canonical to the games. The only mention of it is on the official site. That information never appears in the games. But obviously there's some reason as to why the Rockruff we capture only evolve into one of the two forms, and some kind of influence from Solgaleo/Lunala seems like a reasonable answer. It doesn't explain why there are Lycanroc of the other game's form at Vast Poni Canyon, but then, those can only be found near the Altar, which is a strange device in its own right. Perhaps Lycanroc is actually capable of changing between its two forms (similar to an actual werewolf), but its method of doing this has something to do with the Altar, which we aren't capable of controlling.

But then, that only explains Lycanroc. What about Cosmoem? Because think about this - if I'm playing Pokémon Sun, then any Rockruff I catch will become Midday Lycanroc. This means that Solgaleo's influence is active over my game's world. Presumably, this is also what influences Cosmoem's evolution - except, that means that Cosmoem will evolve into a duplicate of the dominant beast. Meaning that that beast's influence will continue for another generation of that line. And on and on and on, because Solgaleo's influence causes the Cosmoem to evolve into a Solgaleo. If that's the case, then how could there be a Lunala for Solgaleo to make Cosmog with? Unless maybe the Lunala that appears really is from an entirely different universe. This wouldn't necessarily invalidate my "boxspring dimension" theory - the factors that I used as evidence are all still there. But it would mean that there is a parallel, opposite world out there somewhere, where the line of succession is inclined toward Lunala rather than Solgaleo, and my Solgaleo is capable of calling out to that universe (side-note: I wonder if this is meant to be akin to an SOS call).

Which is fine, of course. It doesn't rule out my description of the mechanics. But it does add an asterisk to it.

EDIT: And, heck, here I am just fully getting the idea of the Mega/NonMega universes. I'm definitely understanding a lot more of where that comes from. I don't have anything to contribute to that now-I'll need a bit of time to collect my thoughts-but I would like to ask, how do version differences factor into the timeline? e.g. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum-is there one "true story" of the three? Or are they each a separate timeline, and rather than one Mega and one NonMega universe, there's a bunch of different universes that could be considered Mega and NonMega universes? (which kind of feels like it just dissolves back into the "all games are in parallel universes to each other")

I'm not sure how else the Wormholes could have been involved with Anabel, though. I considered the idea that Sun/Moon takes place before Anabel joins the frontier, but that doesn't really make sense, either-how would you explain the lack of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in Hoenn? (though, I guess it's not like we haven't had additions to games go unexplained-AFAIK, there's no explanation for the pre-Fairy typing Pokemon being weak to Fighting-type moves, nor Magnemite and Magneton being affected by Poison-type moves in Gen 1)

It does since most of the story takes place in a set order with the only thing the player changes being his partner Pokemon. As far as the player catching suicide in crystal hooopa could take suicide from a crystal universe where the player chose not to catch suicune or possibly even stole it from the PC. For Anabel to exist from the non mega timeline she has to come from emerald the only other game she's in, and one where she is a child still because in sun and Moon she's an adult.

In real life multiversity theory it's that every decision creates a new universe thus we have an infinite amount of universes same can be said here in one game may is Norman's daughter in another she's Birch's in another she has a shiny mewtwo (under our control with soft resetting or event from the online competition a few months ago) in another she's a regular trainer or the in-between stuff like Pokemon and gender is non canon and only the story line itself is canon (beat bad team get badges become champion never keep the title) to make it simpler.

But not only do the games vary in terms of the Pokemon chosen, they also vary in the duration of it. None of the games ever have a set end to them, so any point where any sort of connection is supposed to occur gets contradicted. No matter what point we say Anabel fell through, it will contradict the timeline of Emerald, because in Emerald, Anabel is just always there, no matter how long it's been since the storyline was completed. (Also, Anabel was said to say something about the tower when she came out of the wormhole, which seems to indicate she had her position in the Frontier if she came from a NonMega timeline. And where are you even getting the idea that she had to be a child? Anabel's age isn't confirmed, so it's not like she couldn't have fallen through the wormhole as an adult)

I can buy the character not catching Suicune, but to think that Hoopa's rings have powers over time, multiverses, and are able to completely disregard a Pokemon being captured? That's way too many assumptions.

I'm aware of the real-life multiverse theory, but if Anabel is coming from another game's timeline, that has to mean that there is one specific timeline that is now supposed to be considered canonical. We're not getting infinite Anabels from all the Pokemon Emeralds, and it wouldn't make sense for the "player character" of that timeline to use an infinite amount of Pokemon. If one game is becoming one timeline/multiverse, it has to be concrete.

I'm aware of the real-life multiverse theory, but if Anabel is coming from another game's timeline, that has to mean that there is one specific timeline that is now supposed to be considered canonical. We're not getting infinite Anabels from all the Pokemon Emeralds, and it wouldn't make sense for the "player character" of that timeline to use an infinite amount of Pokemon. If one game is becoming one timeline/multiverse, it has to be concrete.

I see the point you're making here, but I have to disagree. Pokémon has never had a very strict canon - there're wanton retcons and broad statements all over the place. To say that Anabel must have come from a vaguely-defined version of the Emerald world is about the average level of detail that this series goes into.

Ooh, that's true. I was thinking of it as in "It absolutely has to make this amount of sense", but much as I don't like it, there are a few issues like that.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom