• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS POKEMON SCARLET / VIOLET STORYLINE ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION

vivian20

Reaction score
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet have three story arcs that gather in the final arc. Pokemon games always had at least two story arcs, and they received different levels of focus depending on the game. Gen 1 and GS focus more on the evil team and the gyms, the legendaries were just there and you didnt need to meet or catch them. Pokemon Crystal also had the storylines of the legendary, gyms and evil team more or less separated . From gen 3 to gen 6, the evil team and legendaries storylines were mixed together, and the evil team always wanted to catch the box legendaries , making the stories too predictable, although gen 5 had one of the best stories and followed this pattern. In gen 8, the regional teams began to be not evil at all and to be unrelated to the box legendaries, at least at first.

In pokemon Scarlet/violet , all the storylines are equally important. The regional team is not evil at all , but just a bunch of bullied kids that didnt want to go to school anymore. The bullying theme is very relatable for most kids , and its important to discuss this. There are many kids who dont want to go to school because of bullying .

Arven´s storyline is also very relatable and the most interesting of all in my opinion . He is the son of a famous person and is angry at his parents because they didnt give enough attention to him. In both games, Arven is the son of two scientists that were working in area zero. One of them leaves him just after he was born, and one raises him until he was old enough to take care of himself. Arven is angry with the one that raised him , and never mentions the other one. His story with mabosstiff is very touching. I think everyone that ever had a sick dog would understand him. Honestly , I thought that his mabosstif was going to die and return to him as greavard. Theres a book in the school that says that when Ryme, the ghost type gym leader, was a teenager, her puppy pokemon died and returned to her as a ghost.

Then, theres the best part of the story . You have traveled with your mysterious pokemon since the beggining of your journey. You bonded with it, but if you played without getting any spoiler , you dont know anything about it besides its name, and that it used to be powerfull. Now, you´re going to the area zero, the place where it used to live. The fact that your legendary is afraid of being outside its pokeball adds more tension as you go deeper and deeper in the crater. Then, the creepy plot twist happens : the original professor died and the one that was talking with is a robot built to act and think exactly like the original professor. We never knew the original professor . We just know the robot, their books, and what other characters say about them. The Robot contradict itself. At first , it says that the professor wanted the paradox pokemon and the present time pokemon to live in harmony. Then, it talks as if the original professor didnt care about ruining the paldean ecossistems.

I think that a way of solving this contradiction is that the original professor thought that the paradox pokemon could break the balance for a limited time , but the ecossystems would quickly reach a new balance. Thats why they didnt release all the paradox pokemon on the wilds and kept them on area zero. At first, the paradox pokemon seen to get along quite well with present day pokemon. Area zero looks like a paradise , and even the iron threads / great tusk that escapes doesnt seem to cause more trouble than the other titans. But eventually , the AI discovered that the paradox pokemon would cause too much harm, and the fact that the AI is programed to think like the human professor tell us that if they lived enough, they would do the same thing as the AI did.

When the robot was about to go to the time portal , Arven called it dad/mom. You can see that he is very sad when the group is going back home, and everyone try to cheer him up , and they even say that his parent is having fun in the future/past. There is a philosofical discussion among scientists around the possibility of mind upload and if you can upload your mind to a robot, you could still say that the robot is you. After the credits , Arven says that his mind is now clear and its time to move on. He started to show interest in his father/mother life and began to be proud of being his/her son . At the beggining , he got angry whenever someone called him the professor´s son. He understood that his parent didnt visit him for years because they died and were replaced by robots that couldnt leave area zero, and i think he began to feel guilty for being so angry with them.

The violet book shows pokemon that arent currently avaiable. It also says that the Heath expedition team found a pokemon that looked like iron threads/ great tusk much before Arven´s parent built the time machine. There are many mysteries to be solved in Paldea yet, like what happened to the non cyborg pokemon in the future and where did the other Arven´s parent go. The other Arven parent could build a time machine connecting the present with the time of heath´s expedition . A DLC could let us visit future or past paldea.

Last edited:
What I find interesting about Arven's storyline, is after you clear the first Titan: After the player leaves, he lets out his Mabosstiff, but we never it see it until later (don't remember how many we have to beat until it's revealed to us). I was not really expecting it to be the Mabosstiff due to the secrecy of it until the reveal. I thought it would be something else (perhaps a Legendary Dog Pokémon?). Also, the fact that they did not go with Arcanine is fascinating, since the thing is a very popular Pokémon.

Honestly, I didn't give a toss about the Nemona or Team Star story lines. Whilst I was bullied as a child and teenager, I find most media about it tackles the subject matter very shallowly, and Pokemon did it no differently. Though the Team Star base leaders themselves were quite endearing, I think Team Skull did the whole concept of a sympathetic team better. Seeing the depressing, rundown Po Town helped cement how tragic their lives were. And they were tied into Lusamine's plot, which made things feel more connected. If we had seen some of the bullying on-screen instead of being told about it, the story would've had more impact. [And I don't really like Penny's character either - she feels like a worse version of Futaba from Persona 5 and an old person's attempt to talk "hip" like the youth do nowadays. Her reference to anime and nerdy things just repulsed me and makes her feel like a caricature.]

Arven, however, is far, far more likeable than either Penny or Nemona. As someone who cares deeply about my pets and has my own personal issues with my parents, I related to him far more. At first, I thought he was going to be a total dickweed, but he was just annoyed with Nemona and the Legendary, which is understandable. [I find Nemona annoying too, but in an endearing way] I have never been more on-board with fighting giant powerful Pokemon. Once I learned his motivations, I wanted to help him as much as possible. It felt like such a noble goal in comparison to mere competition or disbanding Team Star. Though I really wish they had shown more of his issues with them as well. The story of Scarlet/Violet was a lot of telling and backstory, sadly.

[I'm about to address the very end of the game, so watch out:]

The crater was the beautiful culmination of Arven's arc though, and was very well-done. Traveling with the three main characters as they spoke really helped add some depth to them, especially Arven. It gave us some of the show, don't tell that the story needed. The atmosphere of the location, the subtle creepiness, and the gorgeous musical score was probably the most impactful environmental story telling Pokemon has ever had. It was up there with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon storytelling and emulated the vibe of Sun and Moon/BW in particular. The professor being an AI was unexpected, though I did suspect something weird was going on with them. And the fight with them is suitably epic and emotional, as well as the portrayal of our Legendary as an underdog.

Our Koraidon/Miraidon isn't an all powerful godlike beast - it's the less aggressive and weaker of the two. It has a personality and we get attached to it as we travel along - this is truly the most expressive a Legendary has ever been in the games. I love how the finale plays out - first, you battle the professor with their team of Paradox Pokemon, which are extremely uncanny valley. They look familiar and foreign at the same time and their types are completely different, making the fight intimidating. You don't know what they are and what they're capable of.

Then the professor's time machine locks out all Pokeballs except theirs, and the game waits a bit for you to intuit this and send out your Legendary, who is in one of the Professor's Pokeballs. The fact that they took the time and effort to explain that is miles ahead for a Pokemon game, which would normally just have plotholes happen with no explanation and you just have to accept it.

Since this is a Pokemon game though, we likely won't get to explore Arven's trauma and reaction to this turn of events. I mean, it's pretty damn messed up - his mother/father died a long time ago and were replaced by an AI. And he was left abandoned all that time, not knowing what really happened. I know he says he's fine in the end, but I'm sure he's still going to be percolating on that for a while.

I really like this little 5% of story they gave us. It's high quality, but there isn't enough of it. I don't feel Pokemon desires to explore their stories deeper than this. Which is a shame, because this sort of thing can take the series to new heights. I don't expect Final Fantasy amounts of story, of course, but I would like it to be strewn more throughout the experience instead of a big burst saved for the end. I feel Sun/Moon had better buildup for what happened with Lusamine, so I wish it was more in that style, but taken to a higher level. I want a better epilogue for the story than Sun/Moon, one that is satisfying and resolves loose ends.

I can't say what they'll do next regarding it though. The DLC could give us more of that information I desperately desire, as it will most likely be focusing on that mysterious hexagonal Pokemon in the crater. I really want to know the nature of the Paradox Pokemon too, particularly the futuristic variants. What happened in the future? Are these Pokemon extinct and these are robot replicas? Are they cyborgs and cybernetic enhancements are common? Either way, it paints the future in a kind of creepy and somewhat dystopian light, which I really, REALLY want to know about. For all we know, these Paradoxes might not even be from the past and future, and could just be products of the hexagonal Legendary's power.

Last edited:
I do have a question about the endgame:
Why did the Professor think it was a good idea to:
1) Go to Area Zero, seemingly alone?
2) Set up the Time Machine so that it can never be turned off? What was their game plan here?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom