• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers: Ruby & Sapphire's Past

Coronis

Reaction score
The Shogakukan Grade 6 magazine this month (April Edition) features the climax and what's said to be the final chapter of the Ruby/Sapphire arc of Pokespecial. Here's a brief synopsis on it:

Plot carries on when Ruby and Sapphire are yanked up from the Seafloor Cavern together with the other TA, TM members by Archie and Maxie, who have been possessed and assimilated by the Red and Blue Orbs. Gabby and Ty are also riding on Absol, and they all meet at Sootopolis where Groudon and Kyogre are battling it out.

Seems that only Winona and Wallace are left standing among the other gymleaders, as only the two responded to the Pokemon Association Chairman's request to head over to Sootopolis to help. After meeting up, Ruby and Sapphire seem to have lost all hope as well, but the two gymleaders, who are their respective teachers, tell them to fight for the most important person to them (Ruby and Wallace are on one end of the city, while Sapphire and Winona on the other end, so they can't hear each other although what the two kids say basically supply each other).

Ruby and Sapphire individually reveal that they each know of a child (girl for Ruby, and boy for Sapphire) when they were young, without actually remembering how that child looked or his/her name, only knowing that it's the son/daughter of their respective father's good friend. It turns out that 7 years ago, when Norman sat for the selection test to be a gymleader, young Ruby and Sapphire have met. At that time, Ruby was actually a rough little boy who loves battling while Sapphire is all girly wearing dresses and doesn't even climb trees.

While Norman and the other adults stay inside the gym, Ruby and Sapphire have fun outside (they both said it's the happiest time of their life), but suddenly a Salamence appears to attack Sapphire. Ruby grabs her out of the way and starts battling it with Ruru, Coco and Nana. Ruby was hit on the head by a dragonclaw, but he ignores the bleeding, and finally has Coco defeat Salamence.

What he did, however, deeply scared Sapphire, and the girl bursted out in tears of fear. Then, both of them realized something. Ruby realizes that he has been too consumed by pokemon battles, and neglected the feelings of the ones around him. Sapphire realizes that she is too weak, and has hurt Ruby's pride for crying after his victory.

From then on, both kids decided to change themselves. Ruby started seeking beautiful things, and never lets anyone see him battle again, while Sapphire started strengthening herself, and learnt to protect herself. So it turns out that the way Ruby and Sapphire behave now is actually caused by each other.

It only seems that the resent Norman had against the Pokemon Association was due to his losing of the selection test, although that part wasn't sufficiently explained here.

Later, Wallace discovers that Sapphire holds a piece of the Grand Meteor where she picked up after TA on Mt. Chimney, and together they worked to bring its powers to knock the two orbs out of Maxie and Archie.

The chapter actually stops here then. I guess it's just like the GSC series before, there are several ending points when featured in the magazines, but may actually merge or even have a completely new ending while being published into comic volumes. It's definitely not the end yet though, coz at least Rayquaza and Wally haven't arrived, and Groudon and Kyogre are apparently still uncalmed, just Maxie and Archie knocked out.

Scans:
RubySapphire.jpg

Young Ruby and Sapphire, a total contrary to what they are now
NormanBirch.jpg
Young Birch and Norman, looking good and handsome

This last scan is a little scary, so view at your own risk:
Young Ruby's head bleeding from wound of dragonclaw

Coronis~

Wow. Lil' Ruby and Lil' Sapphire are scary.

I'm not sure what to think about this origin story. It's like having an origin for the Highlanders in Highlander II. I'm willing to accept that there's a race of immortals who fight eachother. Suspension of disblief and all that.

Just the same, I was willing to accept, a prissy, vain little boy and a rough and tumble little girl. I don't really think an "origin" story was needed for their personalities. Maybe for Ruby's fear of battling, but that's it.

Hopefully, with this revealed, they don't do a 180o back to their former personalities. I really love them the way they are now. If they decide to try the other's occupations again, that's cool. But seeing Sapphire in a dress and Ruby acting all macho again? Ugh.

On the other hand, it is cool to tie them together like that though, similar to Ash and Gary in the anime.

So I have very mixed feelings about this.

Although I find this an overused cliché, it nicely seals up some holes left by certain flashbacks on Ruby's side and that perplexing 7 years ago comment...

Hm. =\ While prissy young Sapphire is adorable, this seems a bit too cliched for my tastes. It's like saying you need a reason to deviate from gender norms and that unless something major happens, girls will always be girlish and boys will always be boyish.

It's like saying you need a reason to deviate from gender norms and that unless something major happens, girls will always be girlish and boys will always be boyish.

Exactly. If you're a boy who doesn't like to fight and likes fashion or a girl who likes the outdoors and competition - obviously something horribly traumatic happened to you in your childhood. *rolls his eyes*

Perhaps the climax of Ruby and Sapphire's arc means just that - and Wally and Rayquaza swoop in and save the day in the climax of Wally's arc, and the final chapter of Wally's story?

What? There are at least 7 updates on Netkun for March - which one?

Anyway - I suspect there is much left out from Coronis's summary - it was supposed to be 31 pages long, after all. This is probably just the character development part.

Don't forget - there are 3 current parts to the Hoenn chapter - Ruby & Sapphire (2004/5 Sho5), Gym Leaders (2004/5 Sho4) and Battle Frontier (2005/6 Sho3). That's at least three endings they have to create (unless they publish the same one for R&S and Gym Leaders in both magazines) - each magazine seems to contain its own mostly-independent storylines...

Truth be told, I don't find this 'explanation' of their past too musing either. While as Zhen Lin said, it filled up quite a lot of plotholes, recall that flashback Ruby had when he was facing Hokage of TM, he remembers himself chasing after his father who seemingly appears to refuse training him. But from what this chapter indicated, Ruby already lost interest in battles before Norman was disheartened by the selection test.

Indeed, this will hardly be the very last chapter of the RSE series, as much is left untouched still. Sapphire's Lairon has yet to evolve into Aggron, and Ruby's Feebas has yet to return and evolve into Milotic (both of which were featured in one of the artworks, indicating that they will evolve)

Wally still hasn't joined them, and his Grovyle still needs to evolve. (Kirlia seems like it will stay the way it is though, from the artworks so far). On top of all, Groudon and Kyogre are certainly not calmed. From this chapter, we aren't even told if Maxie and Archie were really stopped. They just had the orbs knocked out of them.

And for the summary, the following are some remarkable bits that I left out from my last summary:

- Gabby calling Cap. Stern and the Pokemon Association Chairman who are both on the floating headquarters

- the Gro/Kyo symbols moving up from the hands and arms of Archie and Maxie up to their foreheads

- Absol protecting Ruby and Sapphire by magic coat (which plays important roles later)

- Ty figuring out that Absol isn't really their 'friend', but simply something like a delegate of nature to watch the Gro/Kyo battle, which Wallace referred as a tragedy caused by humans and should be stopped by humans themselves

- then the approximately 12 pages on Ruby and Sapphire's past

- Wallace telling them that the Grand Meteor not only has destructive powers, but also all sorts of other powers, including cooling volcanoes, cancelling out powers within stones (the artwork shows a downward arrow pointing down from the meteor to some stones and orbs, suggesting that all the evolutionary stones, as well as the Red and Blue Orbs, came from the Grand Meteor, but it could simply mean the meteor being able to banish the power of those jewels)

- try visualizing Sootopolis with platforms and stairs surrounding a square-shaped water pool in the center, where Gro/Kyo are fighting. Absol's magic coats were set up one each behind Gro and Kyo, facing towards each other. Ruby and Sapphire are standing on one of the remaing two sides, tossing up the meteor and powering them up with the attacks of Blaziken and Swampert. The two beams of attacks strike opposite directions towards the two mirror coats, reflecting towards Maxie and Archie, knocing the orbs out of them

- smoke fills the area, Ruby and Sapphire hold hands, end of chapter :)

Scan: The battle scene described above in case my words aren't descriptive enough
Fight.jpg

Edit: About the translations, I'll see what I can do later tonight :)

Coronis~

illust35.gif

I pointed this out in some other thread already, but I'll repeat it here - you're right that Hoenn has a little further to go - this artwork clearly depicts Sceptile and we have yet to see this. No Aggron nor Milotic though...

Were there any signs of continued serialisation in Sho6 though? And what of Sho5 - any indicators that the ending comes soon?

This picture does not bode well. If this goes down like that picture seems to indicate, there will be flames.

Dear god! It's like Rocketshipping 100 times worse! Not only does it "put them in their proper places", speaking in gender terms - but it also kills their personalities entirely. Ruby gets turned into Green2 and Sapphire gets turned into Yellow2. Or something like that.

No Aggron nor Milotic though...

Not only is there no Milotic, Mimi is totally abset from the picture. As are Wailord, Tropius and Castform. Odd.

Last edited:
I'll echo the sentiments of the rest of y'all and say that I don't like the explanation for Sapphire and Ruby's personalities, either. It kinda kills their coolness...(although not entirely, as long as they don't revert). Well, I'll wait for manga 20 to come out and see for myself. Thanks for the summaries, though, Coronis!

This is probably not the thread for that, Jason, but I'll let it go this time. ^_^

Thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom