• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[SPOILERS] The story of Sun&Moon

Honestly, as long as there is more meat to the story in Alola than there was in Kalos (the anime had a better storyline than the XY games).. then really all I want to do for someone's stupid Pokemon to use a physical attack on my Pikachu, get paralyzed, and me have the last laugh by somehow winning the match.

lol. As if there weren't enough Lusamine = Ragyo comparisons already. She actually does the Kiryuin Heel Clack in her VS animation.

Wormholes are a shortcut between two points in spacetime. It is not a stretch to assume that passing through one could change your position in time rather than just space.

Fair enough. I will officially stop beating this horse.

The horse tells me to say thanks.

Now, I normally don't do this, but it kind of got glossed over in my previous post (and it probably deserves its own space anyway), so I'm reposting it here:

There are two legends in the games about Solgaleo/Lunala and the Tapu. They are as follows:

> The Light of Alola: The empty sky broke asunder, a hole appearing where had been none. A single beast appeared from in it: it was called the beast that devours the sun/the beast that calls the moon. The king of Alola bowed before it: the beast that shone so like the sun/stole all heavens' light. The island guardians fought against it, but in the end the beast had won. Then did the beast that devours the sun shine its light/the beast that bings the dark cast its pall on the line of kings. Then did the beast that had won bring nature's gift to bless all things./So would the beast that had won mark the path for all such finished things. Beast of sun and beast of moon. Through their union, they brought new life. A fragile heir in Alola born that island guardians would keep from strife. The ancient kings sang their thanks for Solgaleo/Lunala with song of flute. Two tones rang out across the altar - a perfect pair, ever after mute.

> The Legendary Pokémon and the Tapu: A great and terrible battle waged between the tapu and the Legendary Pokémon, but neither side could claim victory over the other. Upon finding themselves equals, the Legendary Pokémon then gifted the tapu with great power of unknown providence.

Doesn't this seem contradictory? In the first story, the Tapu lost against Solgaleo/Lunala. But in the second, they were an even match. Maybe Solgaleo/Lunala caught them by surprise the first time, and after that loss, they trained up so that they were stronger next time? Or maybe the second story is talking about Necrozma, who is closer in power to the Tapu than Solgaleo/Lunala.

Aside from that, there's another thing I'm unclear about from the first story. I color-coded the version-exclusive dialogue, and in either version, the story only mentions the appearance of one beast. But then it says "beast of sun and beast of moon," and says that their union brought Cosmog into being. So how was the opposite beast involved if only one of them appeared?

In a cruel twist of fate, Zinnia manages to go to the non-Mega Universe and not find Aster...because Aster was the Faller.
Or the Aster she knew was a Faller unbeknownst to Zinnia, and she doesn't have to go through any shenanigans to find the one that is still alive.

@Esserise I don't know what to say about the first legend. It's too confusing.

I would assume that the first Cosmog was born from the union of Solgaleo and Lunala through the portal between the Sun and Moon universes. But the legend doesn't mention anything like that.

Last edited:
This gives a lot of credence to those rumors that Masuda is going to retire from the series. This game seems so story heavy and connected to previous games that it just doesn't feel like Masuda has a large role in this game. It very much feels like he's passed the baton to Shigeru Ohmori and let him do what he wants. I'm surprised to see some of these characters return. Grimsley I kind of get because he always popular and seemed to have quite a story to him despite what little dialogue the E4 has. Anabel is a complete surprise though.

I think Lusamine is a piece of work in my opinion. That is no way to treat your kids. She is no better than Ghetsis.

She is no better than Ghetsis.
I'd say she is a better person at the very least, considering that she appears to give up on her plan and wasn't actually trying to take over Alola for her own benefit. The fact that Lillie not only went to the Ultra Space to bring back her mom, but is also going to Kanto to help her recover, says a lot. Lusamine clearly used to be a decent mom before her husband disappeared.

Ghetsis used N as a puppet all along.

Last edited:
Lusamine was a decent person who gradually went off-rails due to the loss of a loved one.

Ghetsis is an irredeemable monster who never did anything good without an ulterior motive.

I think Lusamine is a piece of work in my opinion. That is no way to treat your kids. She is no better than Ghetsis.
Expect Lusamine seems like a woman who loves her family, but had a mental break and will probably recover with lots of support and therapy. Ghetsis, on the other hand, was always a psychopath who never cared for anyone (not N, not his Pokemon, not anyone) other than himself.

One thing I hate about Ohmori is how open ending his games are. I like to feel this satisfactory feel of ingame completeness, by wrapping up the story without leaving potential teasers of things that happen offscreen.

He did it in ORAS:
Steven saying he will lwave gis Champion title to Wallace
The Battle Frontier being built, but never finished ingame.
Zinnia leaving
The Battle Chateines telling you they are going back to Kalos soon

And from what I understand, he is doing that same shit in SM too...

- Lillie leaving and going to Kanto (like Zinnia left in ORAS)
- Hau hinting that he will be leaving Alola as well, to go to Kanto in search of Lillie.

- Mina saying she wants to open a new Trial or something? (someone confirm?)
- those weird empty squares that seem perfect for Gym Building?

Is there any more of it? It just makes a game feel incomplete. It is a strategy that I feel works in movies, but not in games. I like my games completely wrapped up...

Last edited:
Giving characters a future is not "shit" even if it remains unexplored. I do agree that the Battle Frontier tease in ORAS was pointless, and I doubt that the empty squares mean anything, either.

He did it in ORAS:
Steven saying he will lwave gis Champion title to Wallace
The Battle Frontier being built, but never finished ingame.
Zinnia leaving
The Battle Chateines telling you they are going back to Kalos soon

Well aside from the Zinnia one, we basically know how these end... especially for the Chatelaines, since we already saw them in Kalos in XY. Clearly, they returned and continued their business there.

Steven was implied to be in Kalos in XY as well (Tierno received the Intriguing Stone from a man called the "wandering stone collector," which is the same epithet used by the Fossil Maniac to describe Steven in ORAS), which is in line with the idea of him traveling the world.

Plus, with how interconnected the series has become, it only makes sense. Old characters are liable to pop up any time.

Although I will admit that I am surprised to see neither AZ nor Zinnia in SM. The leak that said they (and Lance) would appear was very credible. AZ is a shoe-in for being the creator of Magearna, and Zinnia would make the most sense as the Dragon Ascent tutor. And from the looks of things, there's no S.S. Anne appearance, either.

Actually, how did Gen V end up having the most cameos in SM? We even got the return of Gen V's female Backpacker.

Last edited:
Giving characters a future is not "shit" even if it remains unexplored. I do agree that the Battle Frontier tease in ORAS was pointless, and I doubt that the empty squares mean anything, either.
You don't understand. I don't mind giving characters a future: for example Gladion becoming president of Aether.

But making your travelling companion leave at the end (Lillie), and your supposed best friend Hau forshadowing he will leave as well... It's quite underwhelming. What if the player gets attached to those characters after sharing the entire main game with them? It just sucks to see them leave, or forshadow leaving.

This might end up being the biggest drawback for me in the games, as it messes up with my immersion.

This is something I can confirm. She said she is a Trial Captain, but she didn't have a trial. She was thinking of making it about collecting flowers or something.
Thanks.

Eh... A bit of a stupid game design decision for her to not have a Trial and plan to make one offscreen, but eh. It could just be flavor text?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom