• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spooky Cup - Doubles Competition (Battle Spot)

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
CQN3XL7WIAAGITp.jpg

Region: International
Registration Period: October 15th 2015 - October 22nd 2015
Battle Period: October 23rd 2015 - October 25th 2015
Battle Type: Double Battle
Battle Limits: 15 Battles per day

Pokémon Restrictions: Specific Pokémon.
Usable Pokémon: Rattata, Raticate, Ekans, Arbok, Pikachu, Zubat, Golbat, Paras, Parasect, Grimer, Muk, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Cubone, Marowak, Koffing, Weezing, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Ditto, Kabuto, Kabutops, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Spinarak, Ariados, Crobat, Umbreon, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Unown, Gligar, Granbull, Sneasel, Houndour, Houndoom, Mightyena, Dustox, Shiftry, Shedinja, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Sableye, Mawile, Gulpin, Swalot, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Cacnea, Cacturne, Seviper, Lunatone, Baltoy, Claydol, Shuppet, Banette, Duskull, Dusclops, Absol, Snorunt, Glalie, Drifloon, Drifblim, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Stunky, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Skorupi, Drapion, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Weavile, Tangrowth, Gliscor, Dusknoir, Froslass, Rotom, Purrloin, Liepard, Woobat, Swoobat, Venipede, Whirlipede, Scolipede, Basculin, Krokorok, Krookodile, Sigilyph, Yamask, Cofagrigus, Garbodor, Zorua, Zoroark, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Frillish, Jellicent, Joltik, Galvantula, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Golurk, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Espurr, Meowstic, Honedge, Doublade, Aegislash, Malamar, Phantump, Trevenant, Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist, Noibat or Noivern.

Banned Pokémon: Pokémon not listed above. Pokémon not captured or hatched in X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Banned Items: Mega Stones
Entry Gift: 10 Rare Candy

Here's a more refined list of the Pokemon available to use (if you want to use Eviolite Gligar, Dusclops, etc then you still can).

Raticate, Arbok, Pikachu, Parasect, Muk, Gengar, Marowak, Weezing, Mr. Mime, Ditto, Kabutops, Noctowl, Ariados, Crobat, Umbreon, Unown, Granbull, Houndoom, Mightyena, Dustox, Shiftry, Shedinja, Exploud, Sableye, Mawile, Swalot, Sharpedo, Cacturne, Seviper, Lunatone, Claydol, Banette, Dusclops, Absol, Snorunt, Glalie, Drifblim, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Drapion, Toxicroak, Weavile, Tangrowth, Gliscor, Dusknoir, Froslass, Rotom, Liepard, Swoobat, Scolipede, Basculin, Krookodile, Sigilyph, Cofagrigus, Garbodor, Zoroark, Gothitelle, Jellicent, Galvantula, Beheeyem, Chandelure, Golurk, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Meowstic, Aegislash, Malamar, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Noivern.

Another interesting Battle Spot competition coming up then. Quite a lot of choices here too, though it's mostly ghouls, bugs, bats etc. Lots of Dark, Ghost, Psychic and Bug types with a few random ones like Basculin and Kabutops though.

Not quite sure where to start with a team atm, but might as well have a thread up if people want to discuss it. I'll probably be entering after I manage to breed some stuff (for real this time, no illness gonna stop me!) but ofc first need to work out what I want to use :D

Edit:

Thoughts:

Exploud - nothing but Kabutops, Lunatone, Shedinja and Aegislash resist its Boomburst. Looks like it could be pretty decent.
Hydreigon - what switches in/absorbs its hits?

Last edited:
Re: Trick or Treat Battle Competition (Battle Spot)

Im going with Granbull as an answer to Hydreigon. Definately going to play Hydreigon and Exploud myself aswell, like you pointed out they are very good in this format. Krookodile is always awesome, but with all these bugs Im not sure if I want to bring something 4x weak to bugs.

Im going with Granbull as an answer to Hydreigon. Definately going to play Hydreigon and Exploud myself aswell, like you pointed out they are very good in this format. Krookodile is always awesome, but with all these bugs Im not sure if I want to bring something 4x weak to bugs.

Krook is 2x weak to bug not 4. I'm considering bringing in meowstic to wall me, but all the dark and bugs get me scared to.

Krook is 2x weak to bug not 4. I'm considering bringing in meowstic to wall me, but all the dark and bugs get me scared to.

Welp, you are ofcourse correct. I always mix up rock and ground weaknesses somehow (yes, I am not a competitive player).

I'm thinking If Explosion would be a good choice here, Noivern, or protect should help too. I think there may be too many ghost types after all.

This is the team Im trying atm. Tested a few battles on showdown, and it works ok. Will not end up very high, but has some cool surprise factors. Basically, I want speed control with Rotom's T-wave or Beheeyems Trick Room. After that, I (attempt to) sweep with slow bulky mons like Exploud and Aeglislash. Tangrowth is suprisingly bulky with Assault Vest and is very useful for knocking off items and taking hits. It also destroys Kabutops, whom I had trouble dealing with earlier when my Beheeyem dropped.

Beheeyem has telepathy so that he does not get hit by Boomburst. Thinking about swapping out a mon for Telepathy Noivern aswell, but not sure who to drop. Also, the Boomburst hitting my own pokes did not trouble me alot so far. Also considering dropping the cleric set on Granbull for a more offensive set with earthquake and protect.

Eaty (Beheeyem) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Firewall (Rotom-Heat) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Aegis (Aegislash) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Mojanbo (Tangrowth) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Sludge Bomb

Marshall (Exploud) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Sirius (Granbull) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Heal Bell
- Play Rough
- Sleep Talk

Let me know what you guys think, tips and tricks are very welcome.

Last edited:
I most likely am using Shiftry just because it's one of my favourites, might not be the best, but could be fun with its choices. It learns Fake Out, Icy Wind or Tailwind as options for speed control, STAB Knock Off is always good, Snarl for a STAB spread move that lowers Sp.Atk (even if weak and no bulk to abuse it) and Chlorophyll + Growth is also an option, as there's plenty of Prankster users to set up a Sunny Day for it.

I also really want to use Glalie. One of my top five favourite mons - even if its Mega isn't allowed I suppose I can try something with it. Icy Wind and Moody Sheer Cold are good options I guess.

Even though Mightyena will probably suck, I like the idea of a set with Intimidate, Snarl and Super Fang.

In addition to Hydreigon and Volcarona, Chandelure also seems really solid. Much like with Volcarona, there's not many Fire resists available so it doesn't lose much by just firing off Heat Waves. Flash Fire Houndoom might be usable for blocking those two and their Fire STAB too. It can also Crunch/Dark Pulse or Pursuit the Chandelure.

A Wide Guard user seems very handy because of the above Heat Wave users and also Exploud's Boomburst. If you're using Volcarona it'll also block the Rock Slides that will be trying to catch it from things like Krook and Scolipede.

Mr Mime, Parasect and Aegislash seem to be the only choices for Wide Guard though. Parasect has an awful typing but Wide Guard, Rage Powder and Spore are pretty neat options. I actually might try one out. Mr Mime also has Quick Guard to shut down Prankster abusers, Fake Out for free flinch, Icy Wind for speed control and Helping Hand if needed. Aegislash is Aegislash and I won't be using one. :p

I'm sure there's going to be some incredibly fun teams/strategies showing up in this competition.

gonna participate in this, just hope that I'm not mad haxed like I was in the electric tourney. Got pretty ridiculous on day 3. Don't need that inviting my anger issues to kick in.

302MS.png
317MS.png
635MS.png
295MS.png
319MS.png
465MS.png

this is what I'm leaning towards as my team, as I like all of those and have them trained already, though I'm very iffish on tangrowth. Gourgeist Small is another option I'm looking at, as the other forms seem like a bad idea, cause they're slow ghosts in a tourney full of dark and ghost attacks. Sorta thinking about malamar and parasect too.

Last edited:
gonna participate in this, just hope that I'm not mad haxed like I was in the electric tourney. Got pretty ridiculous on day 3. Don't need that inviting my anger issues to kick in.

That always happens on day 3. It's the worst, just one loss after another, maybe a win if you're lucky. If it looks like your first few opponents are too strong or are in a streak of bad luck, save yourself the trouble and don't play your daily limit. Your score will be thankful.

So I only ended up doing like....eight battles. Probs would have done more, but there were two issues. 1) team was sorta mediocre cause I just slightly edited the movesets my mons already had, with minimal effort as far as research/strategizing went. 2) dorm's wifi is trash and disconnected me every other battle. So cause of both of those issues I kinda stopped caring and gave up. Oh well.

On the bright side, it was fun to see swalot put in decent work in some battles, hit and miss as the set was. Tangrowth ended up being the most useless member. I knew I should have chosen galvantula or malamar over it...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom