• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN001: Pikachu is Born!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The annoying thing about Pokemon is that it's so ubiquitous that every Tom, Dick and Harry feels like they are an expert. They are not. The only thing that reading these pseudo-journalistic articles does is raise my blood pressure.

The most accurate and up-to-date information is always on the forums. We are the experts of the Pokemon anime.

The fact we are getting Pikachu's backstory as the first episode of this anime is interesting. This isn't part of some side project like Pokemon Chronicles. This is part of the main narrative.

I wonder if characters introduced in this episode will come back in the present. Pikachu could be all "No, it can't be." while Ash is wondering why he is acting so weird.

I’ve read a fanfic that rationalized Pikachu’s evolution fear, pokeball hatred and initial distrust of trainers as him having had a trainer before Ash that pretended to like and care for him so he could evolve, and then proceeded to drop the act and lock him in a pokeball whenever he wasn’t needed for battles once he did evolve. The experience left him scarred and with the unexplained traits we know of in the anime.

I wonder if this is going to address a similar scenario, but with that baby Kangaskhan involved.

I’ve read a fanfic that rationalized Pikachu’s evolution fear, pokeball hatred and initial distrust of trainers as him having had a trainer before Ash that pretended to like and care for him so he could evolve, and then proceeded to drop the act and lock him in a pokeball whenever he wasn’t needed for battles once he did evolve. The experience left him scarred and with the unexplained traits we know of in the anime.

I wonder if this is going to address a similar scenario, but with that baby Kangaskhan involved.
I've actually read a couple fanfics about Pikachu's past as well. One of them involved him losing his siblings to predators and refusing to evolve again because he found the first time unpleasant.

I've actually read a couple fanfics about Pikachu's past as well. One of them involved him losing his siblings to predators and refusing to evolve again because he found the first time unpleasant.
Yeah, the evolution part is somewhat what happened in the one I mentioned too. He realised he had been manipulated into evolving and didn’t want to again because he felt violated by the experience.

Yeah, the evolution part is somewhat what happened in the one I mentioned too. He realised he had been manipulated into evolving and didn’t want to again because he felt violated by the experience.
Yeah. The difference is that in the fanfic I read, Pikachu actually found the evolution physically unpleasant, even outright painful.

Maybe it will be similar to what Bayleef experienced? Chikorita could jump into Ash's arms whenever she wanted but when she evolved, Ash had to outright tell her that because she's too big as a Bayleef she constantly knocks him around and he can't hold her like he used to do. There was an entire episode about her feeling crushed by that and Ash had to try everything to make her happy again.

I'm guessing maybe Pikachu was refused by the Kangaskhan after evolving and didn't want to evolve further because of his fear for his companions refusing him for his different looks/size. Also, I don't think wild Pikachu are aware that they could evolve further and even if they were aware of that, they probably don't know what they might look like (wild Raichu might be extremely rare since Thunder Stones aren't just lying around everywhere)

My pipe dream for this episode is that the whole thing is just a flashback to Pikachu's early life, with some tragic backstory explaining why it started out as an asshole, then showing it meeting Satoshi, followed by a rapid-fire montage of important events throughout the anime's life before ending with it waking up in Satoshi's bed (those scenes from the preview could be that) and finally Satoshi and Pikachu leaving the house to go to Okido's lab. Then they meet Gou/the rest of the new cast in SS002 and the proper story starts there. It would definitely be the most unique way to start a new Pokemon series and I would love it.

I also love the idea of Pichu's family being the victims of Rocket-related poaching. Or perhaps Pichu was abandoned as a newborn, was taken in by a Garura and that was who was poached? Or maybe even in a less dark story its family or Garura could have been caught legitimately, leaving Pichu to fend for itself? Maybe the Garura abandoned it when it evolved into a Pikachu, which explains why it doesn't want to further evolve? Any of these ideas would be a good reason to explain a lot of Pikachu's quirks, like why it was so hesitant to bond with Satoshi and why it hates being inside its ball.

Watch them be pulling a "Musashi vs. Kojiro" and the flashbacks are only like five minutes of the whole episode...

Something I'm curious about is why would Pikachu be inside Oak's Poké Ball if he already disliked them by that time.

I haven't read any fan fiction regarding Pikachu's past but am curious to know the story

Thankfully with the likes of Yūji Asada and Miyako Ota involved with the animation, it promises to be a great start to the series

I never got that tragic backstory feeling from Pikachu's refusal to go into the ball or his grumpy attitude to Satoshi before. Always seems a pretty normal thing to me.

They make the new series way back even before Pikachu in his pre-evolve form, Pichu. That is something interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom