• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN008: Don't Lose, Pochama! The Drift Ice Race in the Sinnoh Region!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, but wouldn't that be kinda redundant? Why not stay in a region for at least 7-8 Episodes and finish up anything they need to do there?

Because if they had any set order in which they visit regions, they'd run out of material pretty fast

Hopping all over the place lets them do whatever they want

Maybe some episodes will be reactionary in nature - i.e Ash & Gou hear about something strange going on and go investigate? :unsure:

This too

Ash and Go are going to investigate stuff

Region hopping every episode was pretty much what I expected to begin with, because I can't think of another way to handle a series with every region in it

Not to sound insulting or anything, but if this is the only thing that they could've thought of and the only thing that they thought would work and they didn't see any other way to handle the travelling aspect, then they must be really lacking in the imagination department. They could easily have a couple of episodes (I'd say between 5 or 10 would be a good amount) focusing on a region, with Ash and Go exploring the region's cities, them learning about the region's history, Ash meeting some of his past companions or some of the past Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champions, some other important characters or maybe even some of the past COFD or just have some fun adventures with the local wildlife while exploring the region's wilderness. Which would allow them to properly focus on the region, showcase its characteristics, traditions, culture and Pokémon and give it some time to breath and shine.

But, as things stand, if this is gonna be their modus operandi (and, as Finnish pointed out, that's just an assumption based on the first batch of episodes, which, for all we know, could be a marketing ploy to get more people interested in the new series, by quickly showing off past regions and popular Pokémon, before getting into the more coherent and story-related region traveling) and they're are gonna be hopping from one region to the next, then that would give off a sense of rushing (with them barely having time to showcase the region they're in) and make it feel very incoherent and potentially chaotic (as they would be jumping form one place to the other with seemingly no rhyme or reason), which would be very jarring to watch. And if they're gonna eventually return to that region anyway, then why did they have to leave after just one/two episode(s)? It would just be very stupid and kind of redundant.

Not to sound insulting or anything, but if this is the only thing that they could've thought of and the only thing that they thought would work and they didn't see any other way to handle the travelling aspect, then they must be really lacking in the imagination department. They could easily have a couple of episodes (I'd say between 5 or 10 would be a good amount) focusing on a region, with Ash and Go exploring the region's cities, them learning about the region's history, Ash meeting some of his past companions or some of the past Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champions, some other important characters or maybe even some of the past COFD or just have some fun adventures with the local wildlife while exploring the region's wilderness. Which would allow them to properly focus on the region, showcase its characteristics, traditions, culture and Pokémon and give it some time to breath and shine.

But, as things stand, if this is gonna be their modus operandi (and, as Finnish pointed out, that's just an assumption based on the first batch of episodes, which, for all we know, could be a marketing ploy to get more people interested in the new series, by quickly showing off past regions and popular Pokémon, before getting into the more coherent and story-related region traveling) and they're are gonna be hopping from one region to the next, then that would give off a sense of rushing (with them barely having time to showcase the region they're in) and make it feel very incoherent and potentially chaotic (as they would be jumping form one place to the other with seemingly no rhyme or reason), which would be very jarring to watch. And if they're gonna eventually return to that region anyway, then why did they have to leave after just one/two episode(s)? It would just be very stupid and kind of redundant.

It seems Ash and Go travel through the 8 regions, because they need to investigate strange events that are happening (like the march of Ivysau or the Dynamax issue).

So far, they just need to stay in a region while they resolve the mission. After that, they return to their base (Sakuragi's Lab) in Kanto.

It's pretty likely there will be trips that last more episodes, but Ash and Go aren't traveling to visit regions.

They're not traveling for traveling's sake, they're research assistants who are being sent to various regions to investigate stuff. They're not there to sightsee.

Basically, Ash and Go are on missions, and when they're done with a mission, they return to their "home base", Sakuragi's Lab, before being sent to another region to investigate something else. Rinse and repeat.

This is what we all expected the series to be like from the beginning.

They're not traveling for traveling's sake, they're research assistants who are being sent to various regions to investigate stuff. They're not there to sightsee.

A) Them researching something in a region doesn't stop them from also exploring part of the region. It's not like they couldn't do both at once. In fact, as we've learned from SS004's summary, Ash and Go are first gonna take a small detour during their supposed research of the Dynamax stuff in Galar and actually explore Shoot City and take the time to enjoy the local cuisine before getting on with their "mission". So there's apparent proof that they can both do the Professor's tasks and have time to go sightseeing around the region at the same time;
B) Them doing research could actually work as a counter for this argument: as someone who's been doing some lab work as part of my uni courses, I can tell you that you need to take your time when conducting an experiment or doing research or else you might end up getting certain stuff wrong (which would ruin you research). So them rushing from one region to the other would theoretically have a negative impact on this research of theirs and it would actually be more advantageous to spend more time in the region than to rush back to Kanto as soon as they can;
D) "The Drift Ice Race"... Yup, definitely looks like they're doing research. After all, drift ice races between two Pokémon are very important phenomena that demand the sole attention of a Professor's assistant.

Basically, Ash and Go are on missions, and when they're done with a mission, they return to their "home base", Sakuragi's Lab, before being sent to another region to investigate something else. Rinse and repeat.

And there's absolutely nothing that could potentially go wrong with this premise? It doesn't have the potential to make episodes and/or the series as a whole feel rushed or disjointed or bland and repetitive or too compact and crammed and packed with too much stuff that quickly gets shafted?

Really? Have you read everybody's minds (or all of the post regarding the new series) to be able to talk for everyone? Or are you just pulling a Venom and you're actually talking about yourself in plural?

Relax. They're most likely showcasing all the regions as soon as possible so that no one has to wait for their preferred region for too long. This doesn't mean that there won't be longer arcs later on, but I wouldn't expect them to be longer than 5 episodes for the most part.

Also, if they have the means to travel to other regions instantly, then there is no reason why can't go back home when they're done with their missions. It reminds me of Digimon Adventures 02. And isn't it a little late to complain about this after Ash chose to stay in a single area for most of SM? The typical journey structure has been MIA for 3 years now.

Croagunk and Piplup in one episode can't be a coincidence. I really doubt Brock and Dawn would randomly come over to meet with Ash after all these years to participate in some competition of the day but who knows. If not it's a nice nod anyway.
It's a nod to two very popular Pokemon from the DP series. We've already seen that Piplup can be brought back without Dawn (Makoto's even acted like Dawn's), and Brock came back without his Croagunk. Regardless of which continuity we're dealing with this, the chances of heavy continuity are low.

It's a nod to two very popular Pokemon from the DP series. We've already seen that Piplup can be brought back without Dawn (Makoto's even acted like Dawn's), and Brock came back without his Croagunk. Regardless of which continuity we're dealing with this, the chances of heavy continuity are low.
That's what I was basically trying to say. I'm really not expecting Brock or Dawn to suddenly show up here.

The art showing Piplup and Croagunk is massive bait. Ironically the last series to have a good degree of continuity with previous series was Diamond and Pearl.

Until I start seeing series continuity on a larger scale, I won’t expect it.

The entire Orange Islands arc was Ash on a mission to pick up a ball. The first 25 episodes of Johto was Ash on a mission delivering said ball. If they actually stuck to Ash's personality, and he was in Galar and learned about all the Pokemon he'd never seen before and the amazing league they have, he would beg to stay for a while, meet new Pokemon and participate in battles, just like he did for the Orange League.

Back in the older days, they used the travel as a means to create content, show new Pokemon, and add to the stories. Now the travel is going to be offscreen, which is off-putting and will make the series lack flow. There is no reason that having a congruent arc in one region would keep them from returning to that region in the future. They could easily spend a while doing multiple "missions" in one region, or do a "mission" and then take some time off, considering they are 10 years old and it isn't their full time job. It is just lazy production, instead of the director having to have control over the entire series, to make a series that has continuity to itself and makes sense, now the writers can just write about what ever, when ever, and have random, one-off stories that have no relation to each other and don't create an over-arching story.

You are right about one thing, this is exactly what I personally feared, but I personally think it is a very bad thing (and I don't think a lot of people did expect it either). I do hope, as some others have said, that this is just what they are doing at the start, but I'm not feeling optimistic.

I want that Piplup and Crogunk to mean Dawn and Brock...but I get the feeling that won't be the case.

So two episodes in Galar (unless the episode about Go's Mew goal is still set in Galar), then an episode in Sinnoh, then one in Johto

This pretty much is SM 2.0 with regions instead of islands

Just as I feared...:eek:

A) Them researching something in a region doesn't stop them from also exploring part of the region. It's not like they couldn't do both at once. In fact, as we've learned from SS004's summary, Ash and Go are first gonna take a small detour during their supposed research of the Dynamax stuff in Galar and actually explore Shoot City and take the time to enjoy the local cuisine before getting on with their "mission". So there's apparent proof that they can both do the Professor's tasks and have time to go sightseeing around the region at the same time;
B) Them doing research could actually work as a counter for this argument: as someone who's been doing some lab work as part of my uni courses, I can tell you that you need to take your time when conducting an experiment or doing research or else you might end up getting certain stuff wrong (which would ruin you research). So them rushing from one region to the other would theoretically have a negative impact on this research of theirs and it would actually be more advantageous to spend more time in the region than to rush back to Kanto as soon as they can;
D) "The Drift Ice Race"... Yup, definitely looks like they're doing research. After all, drift ice races between two Pokémon are very important phenomena that demand the sole attention of a Professor's assistant.

In S004, they need to focus that episode in Scorbunny, that's why they take more time in that. S005 will focus in the mission, it seems Ash and Go return to Kanto after that.

We don't know what it is the mission in the "Drift Ice Race".

Now, an interview has been confirmed the new season will have an episodic nature most of the time.

Q: The current series is going to be episodic, please tell us why this is.
Negishi: The biggest reason for this is the change in the broadcasting environment. The show's current slot in on Sunday at 6pm, but viewers won't necessarily be at home every Sunday, sometimes being out with their family or visiting friends instead. This means we figured it would be very difficult for viewers to keep up with a serialized story without ever missing an episode. This doesn't mean the show is going to be completely episodic, just that we won't do all that many stories that continue over multiple episodes, and that when we do them, we'll make sure every single episode is enjoyable on its own. We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.

In S004, they need to focus that episode in Scorbunny, that's why they take more time in that. S005 will focus in the mission, it seems Ash and Go return to Kanto after that.

We don't know what it is the mission in the "Drift Ice Race".

...I feel like you didn't even read my post, since I've already countered these types "arguments". There is absolutely nothing stopping them from focusing on things other than those research tasks. Them doing research work actually could counts as an argument for longer region visits, since they'd have to take their time with it, else it's very likely to screw it up by getting things wrong or not gathering enough information. And the fact that the drift race is considered more important than the reason why Ash and Go are in Sinnoh just goes to show how important these "missions" of their actually are.

Now, an interview has been confirmed the new season will have an episodic nature most of the time.

Negishi: The biggest reason for this is the change in the broadcasting environment. The show's current slot in on Sunday at 6pm, but viewers won't necessarily be at home every Sunday, sometimes being out with their family or visiting friends instead. This means we figured it would be very difficult for viewers to keep up with a serialized story without ever missing an episode. This doesn't mean the show is going to be completely episodic, just that we won't do all that many stories that continue over multiple episodes, and that when we do them, we'll make sure every single episode is enjoyable on its own. We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.

I think Rockapheller's, game3524's, Beatsy Ray's and Panky..'s posts sum up my feelings on this pretty well. It being episodic isn't that huge of a shift from the previous series, nor does it necessarily mean or imply that it will be like SM all over again (with character progression being treated like a huge afterthought and the characters goofing around aimlessly for a good portion of the series (or at least I hope that won't be the case)). And it certainly doesn't stop them from having more than two back-to-back episode set in the same region.

Also, I never said that I necessarily wanted each region to get entire arcs dedicated to them. Them spending more time in a region and slightly exploring it for a little while =/= there needs to be a full-blown story arc for each region. And them spending more than two episodes in a region is very feasible, even if the new series is "going to be episodic".

If the broadcasting environment has to adapt to the modern society's shift in how people spend their free time, then they should also be aware that people don't have to stick to the time they air their shows because of a thing called the internet - and it has been like that for quite a while. Being episodic isn't bad or anything, but the reasoning doesn't seem to hold much.

Brock and Ash can walk from Hoenn to Kanto while Prof Birch and Max can hightail in a jeep behind them and having May arrive in Pallet Town in quick succession to Ash. They can pull these off, so why not??

Would be really cool if Lillie's Vulpix appears. Hopefully Serena's Braixen as well. Serena x Lillie x Dawn is the holy trinity of pokegirls after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom