• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN009: The Promise We Made that Day! The Houou Legend of the Johto Region!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ecruteak is my favourite game location so I'm going to enjoy this regardless, but if Satoshi's previous encounters with Ho-Oh are not explicitly referenced here I think it will be a clear sign of what management mean to do about inter-series continuity going forward.
I agree 100%, but after the most recent episode I'm unfortunately leaning towards it not being referenced.

Ecruteak is my favourite game location so I'm going to enjoy this regardless, but if Satoshi's previous encounters with Ho-Oh are not explicitly referenced here I think it will be a clear sign of what management mean to do about inter-series continuity going forward.

I think the first encounter of Ash with Ho-Oh will be explicitly referenced. However, the other encounters not so much.

Of course, the first encounter with Ho-Oh being explicitly mentioned doesn't mean a lot about inter-series continuity. That's the kind of event it could be mentioned even if the series ignores the rest of continuity.

In fact, it would not even be impossible for there to be retcons in continuity when this encounter with Ho-Oh is mentioned. Ash's profile says that he wants to be the best at Pokemon battles due to an encounter.

Last edited:
If the "Ash wants to be the best battler due to a certain encounter he had" thing is referring to Ho-oh I don't see how they could avoid bringing up the past.

Though they might be able to get away with it if that's referring to someone other than Ho-oh. Which would raise the question of just when are they going to bring that up in the show - it sounds like something integral to the plot and I don't want to wait much longer for it.

If the "Ash wants to be the best battler due to a certain encounter he had" thing is referring to Ho-oh I don't see how they could avoid bringing up the past.

Though they might be able to get away with it if that's referring to someone other than Ho-oh. Which would raise the question of just when are they going to bring that up in the show - it sounds like something integral to the plot and I don't want to wait much longer for it.

In fact, if Ash's goal to be the best in battles is related to his encounter with Ho-oh, that would be a retcon.

I mean, that was never the case.

Eh, I don't consider it a true retcon unless it's a contradiction rather than something that was conveniently never brought up.

Like I never got how Ash meeting Serena back in the day was supposedly a retcon when we know barely anything about Ash's life before the series began.

I'm leaning towards the interpretation that there isn't going to be a retcon, but that the event inspiring Ash to become the strongest battler hasn't happened yet, and will occur in this episode. The same way Gou doesn't want to catch every Pokémon in his first appearance.
I really hope so. That would explain why they've never implied that Ash was specifically interested in battling above all else before. "Pokemon Master" has always been so vague and I've always imagined it as more of an all encompassing expertise in Pokemon. Ash actually discovering a new and more tangible goal in this series would give me a lot of hope for the show going forward. But it's also possible that Ash's new focus on battling is a semi-retcon only added in to make Gou and his quest to catch all Pokemon stand out more.

Last edited:
I'm personally rather indifferent to the distinction between best battler and Pokemon Master, but uh... I don't see why Ho-Oh would care about battle prowess all that much. AU Ash was not rewarded for being heavily invested in battles. Then again, that movie seemed to imply that Ho-Oh only comes close to trainers who risk their lives for their Pokemon, which is something that should be fixed. Either way, strength isn't the way.

I'm usually the first to say "don't expect continuity nods," but the title has to reference EP001, no? They had no problem referencing that episode in the series premiere, and kids know all about that episode for sure after the 2017 promotion. While Ash didn't make a verbal promise to Pikachu (he did tell the Spearow pack that he would be a Pokemon Master), would the title use past tense for an event that happens in the present? Likewise, his biography states "a certain encounter he had."

Last edited:
He risked his life against the Spearow, and several times since. He should do something else to gain Ho-Oh's trust, even if it was enough in the movie.

It's implied that Houou inspired Satoshi to travel other regions and meet other pokémon he never seen before, but there is nothing suggests that it also inspired him to be the strongest trainer. It was always his goal, even before meeting Pikachu.

One thing I hope they'll show this episode, even if briefly is that Ash and Go take the Magnet train to Johto

BW141 showed it was running when Iris and Cilan took it

If Ecruteak is being featured, I wonder if any of the Kimono Girls will feature, Morty or even Eusine might feature, even if just briefly

If not, then it's time to abandon ship.
That would be even worse than no Frontier Brains in the Hoenn episode.

What's the point of all this world traveling if they're not going to bring back guest characters??? o_O

Hell, the over all cast is shaping up to be the smallest it's ever been.
And that bothers me beyond words :cry:

If not, then it's time to abandon ship.
That would be even worse than no Frontier Brains in the Hoenn episode.

What's the point of all this world traveling if they're not going to bring back guest characters??? o_O

Hell, the over all cast is shaping up to be the smallest it's ever been.
And that bothers me beyond words :cry:

You complained (endlessly) about the Sun&Moon cast for being too many now it's too small, whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom