• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN011: Koharu, Wanpachi, and Sometimes Gangar Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could also be dead. But death of a child is bit too grim for Pokémon.

All this waste discussion just for Gou to steal the spotlight from Koharu with more of his useless captures again. Honestly, I cannot see them avoiding Koharu or Gou's Families after the Big Theme of Family in the Previous Series. They've done things like dead mom, don't be surprised if they do divorced parents. Looking at this Episode, it seems like its doing too many things, Ash and Gou's shenanigans, Gengar & Koharu, more details about Koharu's Mom, brother, etc. Also XY&Z Character Designer is the Animation Director for this Episode. Nice to see him back.

I get your point, but the anime doesn't seem to really care about keeping themes consistent between new series'.
I'm only saying that because the staff of this Series is incredibly similar to Sun & Moon. Tomiyasu who was Series Director is now Chief Director, Kodaira who was Assistant/Deputy Director is now Series Director, Yonemura who was Deputy Head Writer is now Head Writer, Yasuda who was Deputy Character Designer is now Main Character Designer. This is the first time where we have had a staff list which is incredibly similar to the Previous Series. While I expect the story to be different, there will certainly be plenty of themes that carry on into this series. And plus Matsui, who was head writer of Sun & Moon is writing this episode. And as we have known so far, each series tries to improve over the previous one (or I mean at least it should). Ignoring the Theme of Family, when the previous series focused on it so much and actually did really well on would also be incredibly disappointing. You have character like Gou who can easily be found annoying by many people, so why not create a storyline out of that with his family? You have a bland character like Sakuragi who so far is an immense disappointment coming from Kukui, so why not add some spice to him. And not to mention before this episode, Yamper has had more screentime than Koharu. The problems are right in front of you.

The new series is also been promoted as a family series (granted, they do that for every series, but they are really emphasizing it with this one). So them touching on sensitive topics such as divorce makes sense.

I was already looking forward to this episode, but these potential hints about Koharu's family life definitely amplify my interest, especially since they also involve the professor, who's been pretty dull and uninteresting thus far. It seems that this episode could do his character some favors, too.

Looking at this Episode, it seems like its doing too many things, Ash and Gou's shenanigans, Gengar & Koharu, more details about Koharu's Mom, brother, etc.
There are just two plots here:

1. Ash and Go helping Koharu deal with Gengar. She isn't exactly equipped to do it alone, and the protagonists have to do something.
2. A glimpse into Koharu's life, be it with school, brother and whoever that woman is.

The two plots are probably related. One possibility is that Gengar has been drawn to the void left in the Sakuragi household.

But death of a child is bit too grim for Pokémon.
Post-Shudo Pokemon. The breakfast scene doesn't look like a flashback, anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom