• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN012: Daimax Battle! Dande, The Greatest of Them All!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He shouldn't, quite frankly. Unlike Mega Evolution, we haven't seen an indication of Dynamax spreading to other regions. But it's possible.

Characters returning just to make new characters look good rubs me the wrong way (hi May and Dawn).

But did they actually treat May's return in DP as such? Yeah, May did play a big part in Dawn's character arc and she was ultimately defeated by Dawn. But you seem to be ignoring everything else that the writers did with her return: they showcased her skills as a Coordinator and Pokémon Trainer and how they've grown, they showed her Pokémon's growth and evolution (figuratively and literally), they showed that she managed to win three contests in Johto (which is two more than Dawn had won at the time), she was shown to have mastered Tucker's fusion of fire and water, she defeated Dawn's main rival, Zoey, and advanced to the finals of the Wallace Cup... just because she's had a big impact on Dawn regaining her confidence back doesn't mean that she didn't do more than just be beaten or that that was done solely to make Dawn look better than May. Plus, you seem to be forgetting that Dawn barely won her match May, so it's not like she was easily defeated by Dawn.

We've been told Ash's goal of being the most powerful battler would receive focus in this series, and we're currently in a series about traveling the entire world. It would be an odd choice to introduce a World Championship and not feature him entering it. It's also an obvious way to escalate things after he finally won a regional league last time.

I'm expecting this to be another Dragonite vs Charizard. If it does turn out to be the case, then I hope this is way better than Ash's Charizard vs Iris' Dragonite, or heck even Ash's Charizard vs Drake's Dragonite battle. This is a champion level battle they're talking about :D

Shame Dragonite doesn't have a Gigantimax form, it would have been epic to see the two clash even if they had to make up some excuse as to why Lance could use it.

Then again, if Lance gets really close to winning without any gimmicks that could mitigate fears about bringing in old characters only to have them lose to new ones. :unsure:

According to Bulbapedia, Lance's title of champion isn't as clear as it might seem

So there are generations where he is the champion, but there are others, even chronologically younger ones, where he isn't (anymore).

What I want to say is this fact makes the whole concept of Pokemon World Championships even more confusing, because we don't even know who is entitled to enter and under which conditions.
And given the fact that it'll be just one episode, I can't help thinking the whole thing won't be all too relevant. If Cynthia were to be in it, it would be much more epic for sure!

You really need to calm down. It's a call back to Let's Go since Lance is classified as Champion in those games and as far as we known Cynthia is no longer considered Sinnoh Champion due to the games, plus there's the fact that Lance hasn't been seen or mentioned since Johto. Cynthia at least appeared in Unova.

Let the other Champions shine for once. They're allowed to have screen time.

Or make it Charizard vs Charizard and overload the entire episode with Charizard fanservice.
*Lance uses Charizard against Leon's Charizard
*Ash sees this and states "only one of his Pokemon will do" for the championship
*120 episodes later Ash enters the World Championship finals.
*Ash sends out Charizard
*It's now a battle royale
*The other opponents are Leon, Alain, and Kiawe. Guess what they use.

*Lance uses Charizard against Leon's Charizard
*Ash sees this and states "only one of his Pokemon will do" for the championship
*120 episodes later Ash enters the World Championship finals.
*Ash sends out Charizard
*It's now a battle royale
*The other opponents are Leon, Alain, and Kiawe. Guess what they use.

You are forgetting Trevor over Kiawe.
Alain - Mega X
Trevor - Mega Y
Leon - Gigamax
Ash - Dynamax.

You really need to calm down. It's a call back to Let's Go since Lance is classified as Champion in those games and as far as we known Cynthia is no longer considered Sinnoh Champion due to the games, plus there's the fact that Lance hasn't been seen or mentioned since Johto. Cynthia at least appeared in Unova.

Let the other Champions shine for once. They're allowed to have screen time.
Games and Anime are only loosely connected at best, plus games don't determine what is to be considered canonical in the Anime. while it might be true that Cynthia was referred to as "Pokemon Trainer" (a champion still is a Pokemon trainer by the way), in the most recent story event "Two Champions" in Pokemon Masters, Cynthia clearly called herself "Champion of the Sinnoh League"

Shirona is currently an active participant of the Champion League.

Games and Anime are only loosely connected at best, plus games don't determine what is to be considered canonical in the Anime. while it might be true that Cynthia was referred to as "Pokemon Trainer" (a champion still is a Pokemon trainer by the way), in the most recent story event "Two Champions" in Pokemon Masters, Cynthia clearly called herself "Champion of the Sinnoh League"

Then you have no reason to be getting mad. At all. Like I said, Lance's appearance as Champion is probably a call back or at least an easter egg to him being champion from Let's go and he has been in the anime since Johto. Steven appeared in Kalos just as Cynthia appeared in Unova. Thus, Lance is allowed to appear here in Pocket Monster 2019.

Then again, if Lance gets really close to winning without any gimmicks that could mitigate fears about bringing in old characters only to have them lose to new ones. :unsure:
I'll be fine with that if it leads to Ash discovering the Achilles' heel of giant Pokemon, possibly getting tips from Lance and some others. On the other hand, if Lance randomly uses Dynamax and loses...

I'll be fine with that if it leads to Ash discovering the Achilles' heel of giant Pokemon, possibly getting tips from Lance and some others. On the other hand, if Lance randomly uses Dynamax and loses...
It would just show how strong Leon is. The "undefeated champion" being defeated in the first episode itself is really, really unlikely. Since that’s the entire point of his story.
If Ash somehow happens to battle on a battle spot, it’s pretty likely he uses Dynamax, since every Pokemon can do it like Z-Moves anyway.

This episode is undoubtably meant to show how Leon deserves his "undefeated" status. It’s pretty likely Lance is given a Dynamax band (either on a temporary or permanent basis) battles with Gigantamax Charizard and loses, with Ash vowing to defeat Leon in the future.

If Ash somehow happens to battle on a battle spot, it’s pretty likely he uses Dynamax, since every Pokemon can do it like Z-Moves anyway.
And yet he doesn't have a Dynamax band despite having been exposed to the phenomenon already. People wanted him to get a Mega ring for years and it never happened (even though he had four candidates, excluding Pidgeot), but he managed to defeat three Mega Evolutions. In contrast, he got a Z ring in the first episode.

Also, it's inaccurate to say that every Pokemon has access to Dynamax. At present time, only 400 of them have that privilege, and the Dratini line hasn't even been confirmed for the DLC, which is months away.

It’s pretty likely Lance is given a Dynamax band (either on a temporary or permanent basis) battles with Gigantamax Charizard and loses, with Ash vowing to defeat Leon in the future.
What's the point of having Lance gain a band just to have him lose? I don't think that a "Dynamax battle" has to mean that both sides use it, especially when the title is clearly about Leon first and foremost.

I don't know what's going to happen, but other than Lance losing one way or another, I don't see what's so likely about your other predictions. I'd give them a 50% chance.

Last edited:
And yet he doesn't have a Dynamax band despite having been exposed to the phenomenon already. People wanted him to get a Mega ring for years and it never happened (even though he had four candidates, excluding Pidgeot), but he managed to defeat three Mega Evolutions. In contrast, he got a Z ring in the first episode.
That's probably because no Kalos Pokémon except Diancie can mega evolve, and other than Pikachu Ash didn't use older Pokémon during XY and has barely used them in general since the end of the Battle Frontier. Dynamax isn't species locked.

What's the point of having Lance gain a band just to have him lose?
To hype up Leon.
The same reasons pre-established tough guys have been losing fights in fiction for so long going back to at least sixteenth century Chinese literature and probably farther but I can't think of an older one off the top of my head.

And yet he doesn't have a Dynamax band despite having been exposed to the phenomenon already.
They haven’t explained enough about Dynamax for Ash to get a band. It was the introductory episode.
Also, it's inaccurate to say that every Pokemon has access to Dynamax. At present time, only 400 of them have that privilege, and the Dratini line hasn't even been confirmed for the DLC, which is months away.
That’s because of the in-game data not being present for the Pokémon in the first place. In the lore any Pokémon bar Zacian/Zamazenta can Dynamax. It’s pretty clear the intention is to allow every in-game Pokemon to Dynamax. It’s not as if the new additions are unable to Dynamax.
What's the point of having Lance gain a band just to have him lose?
To have a spectacular battle? Dynamax would give him an equal footing with Leon's Gigantamax. If Lance doesn’t use Dynamax it’s going to be a pretty short battle since Dynamax is going to be glorified here.

Lance is pretty much guaranteed to lose, Dynamax or not, and two giants battling on equal footing is more spectacular than a smaller Pokémon struggling against a huge one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom