• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN012: Daimax Battle! Dande, The Greatest of Them All!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Bulbapedia, Lance's title of champion isn't as clear as it might seem
Lance (Japanese: ワタル Wataru) is a Dragon-type Trainer, a member of the Indigo Elite Four in Generation I, Generation III, and Generation VII, and the Pokémon Champion of the Indigo Plateau in Generation II and Generation IV.
So there are generations where he is the champion, but there are others, even chronologically younger ones, where he isn't (anymore).

What I want to say is this fact makes the whole concept of Pokemon World Championships even more confusing, because we don't even know who is entitled to enter and under which conditions.
And given the fact that it'll be just one episode, I can't help thinking the whole thing won't be all too relevant. If Cynthia were to be in it, it would be much more epic for sure!

Just when some people were ready to give up in this series, they introduce the friggin' Galar champion, reintroduce an old character that appeared in multiple series and could possibly foreshadow Ash's final destiny this series. Hype!

I'm not expecting Ash to talk with Lance, it's more likely the latter will just be treated as Leon's rival.

Tbh as good as it is to see an old character again, it will mean jack squat if he doesn't talk to Ash in my opinion. My fear is that Ash won't even remember who Lance is and that he'll act like it's his first time seeing him.

Hope they don't pull off a Steven Stone with Lance. Hated the way Ash never interacted with him or recognized him in XY. Otherwise this looks like a great episode.
AG did not do Steven any justice. I always hated that Steven, such an important character, was reduced to a mere CotD. Never really understood why Lance, not Steven, not even Wallace, was brought in for the Aqua/Magma crisis. And no, FRLG whatever is not an excuse to bring in a Kanto champion for a completely unrelated Hoenn crisis. Really hated the writers for messing with Steven that way. The retcon for Steven was so satisfactory. I can forgive them pretending the AG episode being a disconnected one-time thing since the Gen 6 anime gave him the glory he deserved but never got. Ash and Team Rocket not recognizing him never was a problem to the story or the Team Flare crisis.

Not gonna be too bothered with Ash and Lance not recognizing each other, either. Lance and Leon's battle on its own sounds super interesting. Hope the battle animation is fantastic here.

According to Bulbapedia, Lance's title of champion isn't as clear as it might seem

So there are generations where he is the champion, but there are others, even chronologically younger ones, where he isn't (anymore).

What I want to say is this fact makes the whole concept of Pokemon World Championships even more confusing, because we don't even know who is entitled to enter and under which conditions.
And given the fact that it'll be just one episode, I can't help thinking the whole thing won't be all too relevant. If Cynthia were to be in it, it would be much more epic for sure!

The problem is: According to Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Cynthia is no longer the Champion of the Sinnoh Region, since she is classed as Pokemon Trainer Cynthia in the battle tree. Lance was the champion in Lets Go until Trace defeated him and considering this series is more based on Lets Go than Galar, it makes the most sense to put in Lance.

Last edited:
AG did not do Steven any justice. I always hated that Steven, such an important character, was reduced to a mere CotD. Never really understood why Lance, not Steven, not even Wallace, was brought in for the Aqua/Magma crisis. And no, FRLG whatever is not an excuse to bring in a Kanto champion for a completely unrelated Hoenn crisis. Really hated the writers for messing with Steven that way. The retcon for Steven was so satisfactory. I can forgive them pretending the AG episode being a disconnected one-time thing since the Gen 6 anime gave him the glory he deserved but never got. Ash and Team Rocket not recognizing him never was a problem to the story or the Team Flare crisis.

Not gonna be too bothered with Ash and Lance not recognizing each other, either. Lance and Leon's battle on its own sounds super interesting. Hope the battle animation is fantastic here.
I think it was Emerald's fault why Steven's presence in AG was so minimal, since Wallace replaced him as the Champion. Wallace was even referred to as the Champion in DP, so Steven (re)claimed it sometime before XY. I don't know if Steven being the Champion in XY was the writers forgetting Wallace was the Champion or ignoring it, but I can understand either due to ORAS being a new thing at the time.
The problem is: According to Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Cynthia is no longer the Champion of the Sinnoh Region, since she is classed as Pokemon Trainer Cynthia in the battle tree. So Cynthia makes even less sense than Lance here (Lance appeared in Lets Go and was the champion before the rival defeated him).
That's the games. She's still the Champion in the anime.

So given that this is Lance vs Leon, chances are we’re gonna get the epic clash that is always Charizard vs Dragonite. Taking all bets on how the writers are gonna screw that one up.

So given that this is Lance vs Leon, chances are we’re gonna get the epic clash that is always Charizard vs Dragonite. Taking all bets on how the writers are gonna screw that one up.
I think the match will either end without a winner or Leon winning to keep his "undefeated" streak going, at least for now.

I think it was Emerald's fault why Steven's presence in AG was so minimal, since Wallace replaced him as the Champion. Wallace was even referred to as the Champion in DP, so Steven (re)claimed it sometime before XY. I don't know if Steven being the Champion in XY was the writers forgetting Wallace was the Champion or ignoring it, but I can understand either due to ORAS being a new thing at the time.
Regardless, if all it takes is one little retcon pretending that episode never happened for Steven to be presented in his full champion glory (as it should have) then why the heck not. :D

Last edited:
Lance? Leon? Pokemon World Championship?

Waiting.jpg

I'm hopeful this episode might start to establish some plot points, particularly an actual goal for Ash. At face value, however, I'm just really excited we're getting an old character, a new character, and some version of the Pokemon World Tournament (which I've wanted badly since the BW games came out...I don't want to talk about the cheap "junior" version we actually got in the anime back then).

Regardless, if all it takes is one little retcon pretending that episode never happened for Steven to be presented in his full champion glory (as it should have) then why the heck not. :D
I don't deny Steven's status one of many people's favorite Champions, but to me personally, I prefer Wallace as a Champion, while Steven feels better as a super boss beyond the Champion. (Can you tell I've played through Emerald more than other Hoenn games?)

It's funny that even though I can't stand to see the continued whining by some members (honestly, tone it down a notch), I myself feel a little uneasy about this episode due to the title being as subtle as a ton of bricks. Compare Masters turning Lance vs. Cynthia into a huge deal (so much so that it's hard to believe it will have an outcome) to the anime making it obvious that Leon will win due to having access to Dynamax (or rather Gigantamax in all likelihood). I feel that Lance would have to use Mega Charizard X for the battle not to be heavily stacked in Leon's favor (with all due respect to Dragonite), but I don't want a Charizard vs. Charizard battle.

I hope that Lance manages to show up in the Dragonite/Dragonair episode despite not being mentioned in that summary. Characters returning just to make new characters look good rubs me the wrong way (hi May and Dawn). Hopefully Ash will decide to enter the World Championship rather than collect Galar badges in an all-region series.

By the way, Lance was referred to as "Champion of the Elite Four" in his debut. "Winner of the Elite Four Cup" is an awkward phrasing, but maybe it just means that Kanto's Champion is part of the Elite Four, presumably like in the games before Blue came along.

By the way, Lance was referred to as "Champion of the Elite Four" in his debut. "Winner of the Elite Four Cup" is an awkward phrasing, but maybe it just means that Kanto's Champion is part of the Elite Four, presumably like in the games before Blue came along.
I think it could refer to him being above the Elite Four, i.e. Champion. Also, the Let's Go games revealed that prior to the Kanto games, Champions weren't part of the Elite Four challenge.

I think it could refer to him being above the Elite Four, i.e. Champion.
Maybe, but when you think about it Agatha debuted after Lance was revealed to be a Champion. We've seen Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha and Lance, but not Will or Karen. Is one of them or Koga the fourth member? I kind of doubt it, and the summary referencing the "Kanto Elite Four" makes me think that Johto has its own in the anime (and we can already guess three members). Or whoever wrote it didn't think about it too much.

Also, the Let's Go games revealed that prior to the Kanto games, Champions weren't part of the Elite Four challenge.
Which is pretty much what I'm suggesting here. Lance was just the strongest Elite Four member.

the anime making it obvious that Leon will win due to having access to Dynamax (or rather Gigantamax in all likelihood). I feel that Lance would have to use Mega Charizard X for the battle not to be heavily stacked in Leon's favor (with all due respect to Dragonite), but I don't want a Charizard vs. Charizard battle.
For all we know Lance might use Dynamax too. "Dynamax Battle!" seems to imply Dynamax vs Dynamax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom