• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN012: Daimax Battle! Dande, The Greatest of Them All!!

WhiteFlashyGoshawk-size_restricted.gif

Memes aside, minor flaws that are pretty much overshadowed by a solid episode. And hey, we finally get some sort of confirmation on how the audience is protected in stadium battles... let's not forget the Gym theme and that eerie Eternatus cameo. Also glad to see that TRio will attempt to catch their own Pokemon for this series.

I was really hoping Ash and Lance would meet again but hey, there's always the next episode.

Last edited:
I told you HE was here, and he is free so he can destroy everything he wants when he wants

Nice battle, vicious moves , that Wrapping Ice Fang look sick

Something is wrong with Galar... you cannot have a freaking beam that makes Pokémon go ballistic in the middle of the city

Also Team Rocket have a Dark Pokedex, and they also are showing interest in having his own Galar Pokémon

NICE I like it I like where this is going , Pokemon 2019 you have me for now, don't dissapoint

God, Daisuke Ono was so good as Leon, such a perfect fit.

Pretty great debut episode to the whole Dynamax mechanic and how Leon is like. I'm hoping the series portrays it better here than what I've seen from the game.

Another enjoyable episode, I'm really glad to see that this series has picked up from the mediocrity of the first couple of months or so. Always nice to see the Red Gyarados again, and the battle was something straight out of the games, which is what I like to see from the anime, and I was very pleased to see that they wasted no time in getting it going so it could take up most of the episode. The focus on game music and lack of everyone's favorite rodeo/country theme was welcome too. When I saw Team Rocket start to get screentime I was afraid they had cut the battle short for tat, but not only did it set up the conflict for the next episode but it was the Rocket Gatcha done right and the whole scene had me actually laughing throughout, particularly Bellsprout hiding behind the column. I wish Gou and Team Rocket could trade PokéDexes, the voice of theirs is much less grating.

Overall a pretty great episode and next week looks to be just as good. I'm liking that this show looks to have a bright future afterall.

What a great episode to finally see Kanto Champion and the undefeated Leon, presumably will be become Galar Champion. Loved to see, Lance having the Dynamax is such a improvement as he might been in Galar obtained, before this showdown. Nevertheless, even though he lost. He still the Kanto Champion.

Overall rating: A-

I find it funny that for the first time, a not so powerful Pokemon in the form of Bellsprout emerged from the Rocket Gachat devise

Maybe Giovanni got annoyed by them making strong Pokemon look weak and thought they might make a weak Pokemon strong
Perhaps, Giovanni preferring weak pokemon might be easier to kept at the headquarter. While powerhouse might been difficult to bond?

This was imo the best episode of this series as of now. Not only was it a better way to show off Dynamax and Gigantamax than episode 5, but the battle was actually good, and it helped that despite Leon's skill, Lance and Gyarados still stood their ground very well so the battle definitely never felt one-sided. I hope so much that the series continues to dish out more episodes like this. I'm actually excited for next Sunday's episode.

Definitely wasn't expecting Eternatus to appear this early on, but it was an absolutely pleasant surprise.

Ash definitely recognized Lance. I could tell.

Did the announcer mention PWT? I think he did.

Yup. That's the Galar Gym guide Dan.

That battle was every bit as epic as I expected. That protective barrier was a nice detail.

I think Lance mentioned the Hammerlocke Gym...

It was nice that despite of its looks, that Bellsprout was still surprisingly strong.

The next episode can't come soon enough!

I'm whelmed. To be honest, I struggle to get excited about these big battle episodes unless there's something at stake, so the majority of this episode focusing on a grand yet ultimately shallow battle left me feeling a little bored. It doesn't help that I just find Lance and Leon to be dull. It's nice to see them (and after complaining about a lack of references, I can't moan about Lance and his Red Gyarados appearing), but beyond that it's just two strong guys having a fight and then commenting on how good the battle was, complete with generic battle dialogue. Not for me, I'm afraid.

I'm viewing this one as the set-up to the potentially more significant episode next week, and from that perspective it did its job of introducing Dynamaxing as a battle concept as opposed to just being a natural phenomenon. It threw Eternatus in there for some intrigue, suggesting they're probably going to be covering Sword and Shield's stuff eventually. I liked that scene a lot, actually. It felt unsettling, with the whole "something's out there, but we don't know what" thing. It seels Eternatus as this force of nature without being too obvious about it.

I was bothered by Team Rocket this time, though. How did they get tickets to this supposedly huge event? Why are they even watching the match and not doing their jobs while everyone was distracted?

Obligatory complaints first: Oh look at me, I’m the new Pokemon series I’ll tease continuity but never actually explicitly show it- don’t worry though; I’ll never directly contradict it either. Couldn’t Ash have said something like: “oh wow, I remember the Red Gyarados”

But this was sooooo good. This was an amazing battle- I love that we got so much battle action before the Dynamax even happened. Once it did, the battle was still way more exciting than I thought it’d be.

the setup for next episode was really great too, interesting that Jessie was actually trying to catch Dreadnaw, althoughI assume it was still for Giovanni.

I love that Go wanted to catch some Pokémon and Ash just told him “Nope!”

And they just threw Eternatus at us! I’m interested in this series now.

Obligatory complaints first: Oh look at me, I’m the new Pokemon series I’ll tease continuity but never actually explicitly show it- don’t worry though; I’ll never directly contradict it either. Couldn’t Ash have said something like: “oh wow, I remember the Red Gyarados”
Ash did recognize Lance.

Ash did recognize Lance.

Yeah but did he say “Oh wow, Lance” and it only seems like he might recognise him. Or did he say something like “Great to see Lance again!” One might be continuity, the other is definitely continuity.

Yeah but did he say “Oh wow, Lance” and it only seems like he might recognise him. Or did he say something like “Great to see Lance again!” One might be continuity, the other is definitely continuity.
He did say "Wataru-san", which I believe indicates that he knows him well.

I was bothered by Team Rocket this time, though. How did they get tickets to this supposedly huge event? Why are they even watching the match and not doing their jobs while everyone was distracted?

Maybe they got the tickets from Giovanni. He still has a lot of influence so it's not impossible he can get tickets die this match (and otherwise he still has money).

Maybe they were there to observe the two champions and their techniques to grew their pokémon because Giovanni tasked them to or they had another assignment. But without subtitels I'm not sure.

Nice that Team Rocket tried to catch a wild pokémon. But since they blew it I hope Ash will get it. I think it would suit him.

He did say "Wataru-san", which I believe indicates that he knows him well.
Implying Ash may have met Lance in the past and showing off a Shiny Gyarados would be the only way the writers would hold off backlash from older fans that decry them for ignoring the past. But without actually stating they've met before, such as by having Ash and Lance meet in person, the question of whether the writers want to explore continuity remains.

Implying Ash may have met Lance in the past and showing off a Shiny Gyarados would be the only way the writers would hold off backlash from older fans that decry them for ignoring the past. But without actually stating they've met before, such as by having Ash and Lance meet in person, the question of whether the writers want to explore continuity remains.
This IS continuity.

This IS continuity.
I was trying to be neutral about it. Having a Shiny Gyarados is shown to be some acknowledge of continuity, and Ash does appear to recognize Lance. But some people would intercept the latter as thinking that Ash would only recognize Lance as another champion as opposed to someone who befriended and helped him in the past.

I was trying to be neutral about it. Having a Shiny Gyarados is shown to be some acknowledge of continuity, and Ash does appear to recognize Lance. But some people would intercept the latter as thinking that Ash would only recognize Lance as another champion as opposed to someone who befriended and helped him in the past.
That's just trying to deny what we have. He clearly recognizes Lance as someone he's met and interacted with.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom