• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN012: Daimax Battle! Dande, The Greatest of Them All!!

Apparently I missed this part where Lance tells Leon he actually trained at the Hammerlocke gym once, and was even influenced by their uniform.

6hJhnhQVOrUAa0rRJ_k43grMd6vAcHCo1ESChRCm-F8.png

HE WASN'T LYING XD

That's my guess. We could also assume it's the champion from another region that hasn't been shown yet.
Outside chance: an Orange Islands representative.
You mean Drake; I guess that Brandon is also an option. I highly doubt that the commission picked two participants from Hoenn. The best bet from Johto would be Lyra Kenta.

this is bit offtopic but i was curious does anyone know when will ash will head back to alolah redion to stay hello to alolha family thast same with bewear family

You know what I will do? Jessie and James should got two more Pokémon each.(James has no Pokémon at dispossalBTW) and the one who use the Gatcha shall be non other than Meowth. That will be original and we will have different battles each week.

The main difference is that Eternatus is not being used by Rose, he is roaming free causing problems wherever he goes, it would be really scary living in a region where a Skeletal Dragon that can destroy the world is roaming free as a bird. He is planing something, evil. He is the main villain of this series for me.

In the games him being free almost destroyed Galar , I guess he is not as mad as he was when Rose freed him

I hope we see those two in the Alola episodes.
If Jessie and James were to get Pokémon from galar. I want Jessie to have impidimp and nickit while James has polteageist and cramorant.

If I recall correctly didn't he also hear Lugia in episode 2 but Gou didn't?
Legendary Pokémon do seem to keep showing up around him so maybe's he developed a sixth sense about that.
...Gou's clever. Sticking with Ash probably is the best chance he has to see Mew again!
Ash is practically a legendary Pokémon magnet.

Can we talk about the soundtrack for this episode? The game theme remixes in this episode were great, and I’ve been rewatching the Dynamax battles on my Instagram Explore page just for the Gym Leader theme remix.

It was nice to see Ash take charge and take Gou to watch the battle. The stadium looks simply beautiful, and I like TRio actually having Pokedexes for once. I always wanted them to have one. The Eternatus appearance gives hope that they won’t completely ignore Galar's plot.

As for the pre-battle, Leon was tad too arrogant for my tastes, but even it felt toned down from his game-self, which was a blessing. His attitude post victory was nice, and didn’t make him unlikeable. The light show was simply spectacular and the stakes looked high. Commentator being on an Aegislash to be at a better position also helps.

The pre-Dynamax battle looked like something out of the last battles of a series. I loved the strategies used and the rarely used competitive strategy of tanking a move to set up. Leon using his super effective move quote is as clingy in the anime as it is in game.

The Dynamax sequence looked epic, and works as a much better introduction of the mechanic than the Snorlax episode. The battle looked fairly static, but that’s more due to the Max Move's in-game basis than something the anime's fault. They did try to acknowledge the lack of mobility, and it was capitalised by Leon using G-Max Wildfire's mobile bird. I hope the mechanic is used sparingly (which I think it will) since the "epic ness" has the potential to go stale.

9/10. Easily the best episode of the series so far.

So to throw all that away and turn him into a jobber for Leon to defeat in less then half of the episode would be horrendous writing and a kriffing insult to both his fans and fans of the Pokémon in general (not to mention that it would make for a very underwhelming battle)
But that's exactly what it was if you ask me, one-sided writing. As I said in my second post (the analysis of the battle), Lance was obviously taken by surprise when he thought that using Max Guard was good enough, although you would clearly expect a Master at his level to know your opponent's moves and how they work as if they were your own moves. (How about using Max Guard several times and when its accuracy starts to decrease, shoot down that little fire bird with Max Geyser? Just a stupid idea by an unimportant litte fan who watches the show closely...) Also, he should have been given a super-effective Max Move like Max Rockfall, too. Clearly, Leon is not the only one to know about the advantages of super-effective moves. (as he pointed out in the episode)
I feel really sorry for Lance given how "weak" and inexperienced the writers forced him to be during the Daimax part.

But that's exactly what it was if you ask me, one-sided writing. As I said in my second post (the analysis of the battle), Lance was obviously taken by surprise when he thought that using Max Guard was good enough, although you would clearly expect a Master at his level to know your opponent's moves and how they work as if they were your own moves. (How about using Max Guard several times and when its accuracy starts to decrease, shoot down that little fire bird with Max Geyser? Just a stupid idea by an unimportant litte fan who watches the show closely...) Also, he should have been given a super-effective Max Move like Max Rockfall, too. Clearly, Leon is not the only one to know about the advantages of super-effective moves. (as he pointed out in the episode)
I feel really sorry for Lance given how "weak" and inexperienced the writers forced him to be during the Daimax part.
You can only use 3 Max Moves per battle, and the anime was consistent with that rule. Gyarados used Max Geyser, Max Strike and Max Guard, whereas Charizard used Max Lightning, Max Airstream and G-Max Wildfire. In other words, once Gyarados stopped protecting itself with Max Guard, there wasn't much else it could do. In the games, Max Guard would've fully protected the user from the additional effects of G-Max Wildfire, but I'm guessing the reason that didn't happen in this episode is because Lance and his Gyarados weren't aware of the G-Max move's additional effect and let their guard down early, which isn't the most far-fetched excuse, honestly. Maybe this is the first time Leon's Charizard used the move in the tournament or something.

Also, he should have been given a super-effective Max Move like Max Rockfall, too.
In other words, once Gyarados stopped protecting itself with Max Guard, there wasn't much else it could do. In the games, Max Guard would've fully protected the user from the additional effects of G-Max Wildfire, but I'm guessing the reason that didn't happen in this episode is because Lance and his Gyarados weren't aware of the G-Max move's additional effect and let their guard down early, which isn't the most far-fetched excuse,
Or maybe using the Wildfire that way was an unorthodox thing, like those Ash pulls off.

The Kanto and Johto Leagues are separate in the show, right? So it's possible this unknown Champion of Johto, whoever that is, also took part.

From what I remember, the Gym Leaders and the League Conference are the only differences between the two Leagues, as they still share the same Elite Four/Champion. And, considering that they called Lance an Elite Four, I don't think it was just the Champions of the past regions who were in this Top 8. So trying to guess who made it in out of all the overly powerful trainers we know, both from the anime and the games... calling it impossible would be an understatement.

You can only use 3 Max Moves per battle, and the anime was consistent with that rule. Gyarados used Max Geyser, Max Strike and Max Guard, whereas Charizard used Max Lightning, Max Airstream and G-Max Wildfire. In other words, once Gyarados stopped protecting itself with Max Guard, there wasn't much else it could do. In the games, Max Guard would've fully protected the user from the additional effects of G-Max Wildfire, but I'm guessing the reason that didn't happen in this episode is because Lance and his Gyarados weren't aware of the G-Max move's additional effect and let their guard down early, which isn't the most far-fetched excuse, honestly. Maybe this is the first time Leon's Charizard used the move in the tournament or something.
You probably mean you can only use Dynamax for 3 turns (which of course goes hand in hand with only being able to use 3 Max Moves)
For the rest I see what you mean. We can't tell if the Dynamax effect would have worn off after the third attack (round?) because Gyarados fainted. From my own experience I doubt the plot would have been consistent with the game mechanics because in most of the cases I remember, the Anime has its very own (and sometimes unique) ways of interpreting the games' battle mechanics.
Plus, G-Max Wildfire deals damage for four turns which means when that fire bird-like thing appeared, they had probably entered something between the fourth to seventh round (3 Max moves on each side + 4 rounds of damage caused by G-Max Wildfire) and Dynamax should have been over. Also, Max Guard usually should block a Max Move completely, meaning Gyarados would have been safe. In my opinion at least that scene showed the plot wasn't consistent with the game mechanics. But I admit this is all speculation. I haven't used Wildfire against Max Guard in SwSh yet, so I can't confirm, either.

From what I remember, the Gym Leaders and the League Conference are the only differences between the two Leagues, as they still share the same Elite Four/Champion. And, considering that they called Lance an Elite Four, I don't think it was just the Champions of the past regions who were in this Top 8. So trying to guess who made it in out of all the overly powerful trainers we know, both from the anime and the games... calling it impossible would be an understatement.
Lance is still the strongest trainer in Kanto that we know of in the anime (there is no other champion), and it only seems appropriate that each region has a representative (except for Alola, because I don't see anyone there taking Ash's place). If Johto had the same Elite Four as Kanto in the anime, it should have been stated in the episode.

I just realized another thing Leon has in common with player characters. Or at least one of them. He has a rival who ends up becoming the strongest Gym Leader in their home region. Just like with Red and Blue.

I just realized another thing Leon has in common with player characters. Or at least one of them. He has a rival who ends up becoming the strongest Gym Leader in their home region. Just like with Red and Blue.
I never understand why Blue became a Gym Leader. He was strong enough to beat Kanto's E4 in the past so he should have become an E4 member instead of a Gym Leader.

Or maybe using the Wildfire that way was an unorthodox thing, like those Ash pulls off.
That's possible too, but from my perspective, it didn't seem like Leon and his Charizard did anything special with their G-Max Wildfire attack at all. The attack seems to have been used normally as intended, albeit with the additional effects being interpreted slightly differently in the anime than in the games.
You probably mean you can only use Dynamax for 3 turns (which of course goes hand in hand with only being able to use 3 Max Moves)
For the rest I see what you mean. We can't tell if the Dynamax effect would have worn off after the third attack (round?) because Gyarados fainted. From my own experience I doubt the plot would have been consistent with the game mechanics because in most of the cases I remember, the Anime has its very own (and sometimes unique) ways of interpreting the games' battle mechanics.
Plus, G-Max Wildfire deals damage for four turns which means when that fire bird-like thing appeared, they had probably entered something between the fourth to seventh round (3 Max moves on each side + 4 rounds of damage caused by G-Max Wildfire) and Dynamax should have been over. Also, Max Guard usually should block a Max Move completely, meaning Gyarados would have been safe. In my opinion at least that scene showed the plot wasn't consistent with the game mechanics. But I admit this is all speculation. I haven't used Wildfire against Max Guard in SwSh yet, so I can't confirm, either.
I'm aware that anime physics tend to differ from game physics due to battles being dynamic and real-time in the anime compared to being turn-based and heavily bound by rules in the games. An example that can be seen in this episode was Gyarados using Aqua Tail to free itself from Fire Spin, something that wouldn't work in the games but makes perfect sense in the anime due to the way it was portrayed. Despite that, there are certain restrictions that are almost always consistent between the anime and the games (eg. maximum of four different moves being used by a Pokemon per battle, one Mega per team, one Z-move per battle). This episode sets a precedent of Dynamax Pokemon using a maximum of 3 Max Moves per battle, something that I expect to stay consistent throughout the season.

Also, "turns" don't really exist in the anime, which is why I specifically said "3 Max Moves per battle" instead of "Dyanamax lasts 3 turns per battle".

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom