• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN013: Satoshi VS Dande! The Road to the Strongest!!

image.jpeg

Peek a boo!

While I really do not care for the mouse's Gigantamax form at all, I'll admit it looks far better here than it does in game. I don't why but that smile in game makes me chuckle and I can't fathom as to why.

A little disappointed that the Ash vs Leon battle ends quicker than it starts but when you have a champion that's throwing other champions around like he's Mario from Mario 64, what can you do?

Otherwise pretty good episode and I'm glad to see this show is *at least* going somewhere and has given Ash something worthwhile to do after the rather dreadful and boring start.

Last edited:
Seeing giant Pikachub was a dream come true.

And what do you know, looks like Team Rocket also got their first new Pokémon for the series!

And yet another catch for Go, too.

I really need subtitles to understand the whole thing better, but Ash definitely just found his goal for this series. That much is obvious.

All, I'll can say is without any logic for Pikachu to go Gigantamax. That already being a special case for Ash. Nevertheless, despite the lost for Ash. It's still a great fight.

Peek a boo!

While I really do not care for the mouse's Gigantamax form at all, I'll admit it looks far better here than it does in game. I don't why but that smile in game makes me chuckle and I can't fathom as to why.
Yeah, he is going to be a lot in THAT form as the series progress. Sacrificing stamina for brute strength to battle. It really no a good idea to won the match. Because, Pikachu always relay on speed to win.

Overall rating: B+

Last edited:
First of all let me say

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

Second of all finally the series is shapping up to something. I need subs NOW

Can we appreaciate how Fatchu grabs his tail to do the Iron Tail?

And how I could forget about our new Rocket boy CHEWTLE screw Skowet Chewtle is the real deal now. Welcome aboard Chewtle

Sadly I had trouble watching this episode as towards the end, the video kept freezing or going back to a previous scene

From what I did see, was seriously disappointed that Ash or Leon didn't catch the Drednaw, was it just there to bridge the link between episodes. I'm just glad that Go didn't end up catching it.

I got two words: Pikachu! Jumbo-sized!

I am so happy that Pikachu Gigantamaxed, and wow he adapted to battling as a giant fast. I loved the way he used Iron Tail/Max Steelspike! Didn't mind Ash losing as it was to be expected by I think some of us and to be fair Pikachu still put up a good fight. Also, hello? Did Team Rocket just get a Chewtle? This and last weeks episode have been quite good, hope the show keeps it up.

I was half-paying attention, but basically for Ash to challenge Leon in an official capacity, he needs to qualify for the tournament, and to do that he needs to attain Master Rank. He has start from the bottom and work his way up, although the episode didn't specify how exactly he does this.

What we do know is, Ash's stated goal now is to challenge a Champion in an official capacity. Since Lance appeared in the Master Tournament, we might see some other big-shot trainers involved in this thing. You imagine if Ash is going to get anywhere close to this goal, he's going to have be on par with the Elite Four trainers, something he's yet to accomplish.

All I care about is that Ash is past a badge quest at this point, even if this ranking system includes battling some of the leaders. Show me the Elite Four from other regions.

I don't really care about Pikachu's battles anymore, so I'll be happy if Dynamax/Gigantamax is mostly exclusive to it as far as Ash is concerned.

As expected, Ash lost.

For a Trainer utilizing speed in battles like Ash, Dynamax/Gigantamax must be really hard to use.

For now, Ash needs to get to Master Class in PokeLadder to challenge Leon again.

I'm glad Dragonite will have at least some roles in next episode instead of another hugging scene.

Btw, the new tweet from Anime Pokemon's Official Twitter after this episode gives a hint about the next Trainer Ash's going to face in order to reach Leon.
"'That person' who uses Dragon-Type Pokemon"

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1228975051971497984

I don't see how it makes sense for Ash to battle Lance so soon if he's starting from scratch. I'm pretty sure that the tweet is referring to "what kind of trainers await Ash?" in general, with Lance being an example. Lance made it to the finals, so he's no rookie.

Holy S*****

I forgot about her. I was tinking about Lance, Drake (The captain one), Drasna,The rock star from Alola

But what about our Princess Champion?

Also waiting two weeks or more in order to know about that Chewtle is such Taurosc****

Last edited:
Gigantamax Pikachu is an absolute unit, it did not disappoint. I really loved how they animated his clumsy movements, especially when he tried to use Iron Tail and G-Max Volt Crash. Slamming Iron Tail into the ground to generate Max-Steelsurge is a pretty cool way of using that move. We've already seen this in the previous episode, but I also liked how Gigantamax Drednaw constantly elongates its neck to attack (even when it was using Max Rockfall) since that's something snapping turtles can do in real life.

Interestingly, even after Ash obtained the Dynamax Band and obtained better control over Dynamax/Gigantamax, Pikachu was still capable of Gigantamaxing without having to return to its Pokeball. They didn't really explain how Pikachu did it, but at least Ash did acknowledge Pikachu's dislike of going back into its Pokeball. Also, the two Dynamax battles that Pikachu has participated in so far ended before both user's Dynamax ran out, but I hope that G-Max Volt Crash's ability to paralyze its targets come into play later on.

Seems like the Rocket trio's first capture this season is gonna be a Chewtle, and I didn't expect it to be so small. I was worried that the trio's attempt to capture Drednaw last episode was simply there so that the Drednaw had an actual excuse to Gigantamax, but thank god that isn't the case. Looks like the Rocket trio really are gonna try and capture their own Pokemon in this series, which is definitely a good thing. Also, it seems like the Chewtle is probably more attached to Jessie, but I can easily see the "James's Pokemon loves to hurt him" running gag coming back once it evolves.

I'll need subs to better understand Ash and Gou's conversation, but it seems like they're incorporating the competitive ranking system from the games into the anime, which is pretty interesting. This opens up tons of opportunities for Ash to challenge other trainers from previous regions in order to climb the rankings and eventually reach Leon. Hopefully this means we'll get more returning characters down the line, or possibly some Elite Fours from previous regions that we haven't seen in the anime yet. Regardless of how it plays out, I just really really hope that this isn't just a regular Gym challenge but with extra steps.

Overall, this was a pretty solid episode. It wasn't as great as the previous one, but still, it's pretty solid. My only major issue with it was Lance being weirdly absent during the G-Max Drednaw attack despite it only being a short while after the previous battle concluded. Aside from that, I think the episode did a pretty good job of easing Ash into the mechanics of Dynamax and Gigantamax as well as giving him an actual goal to work towards this season.

My only major issue with it was Lance being weirdly absent during the G-Max Drednaw attack despite it only being a short while after the previous battle concluded.
LANCE: "What's this? A giant Pokémon is attacking the stadium?"
ASH: "Hey couldn't you at least help us out here?"
LANCE: "I'd love to Ash but I have to go now... my region needs me."

*flies away offscreen*

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom