• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN013: Satoshi VS Dande! The Road to the Strongest!!

The battles were simple but sweet. I agree that it was cute to see Pikachu becoming used to its giant form and moves and dominating them by the end of the episode.

I have no problem with Go catching Skwovet in the first try since it's a first route 'mon, but it was kinda mean that he didn't let it eat the rest of the Scone.

As a Chewtle fan seeing it joining Team Rocket was amazing, and its bite doing nothing was cute. We do have to wait for their next appearance to fully confirm that it's a new TR Pokemon though.

I have no problem with Go catching Skwovet in the first try since it's a first route 'mon, but it was kinda mean that he didn't let it eat the rest of the Scone.
It was eating food that didn't belong to it. It just walked onto the table with its dirty paws and started chowing down without permission. But it's going to have a good life in Sakuragi Park, where it can either be properly fed, or sneak into the lab to munch on some human food.

I gotta say though, I'm not a fan of how the capture was handled. I know Go didn't have much time to do anything, but this is pretty much just a copy of his Sentret and Taillow captures: wild Pokemon conveniently show up in a human-heavy areas just so Go can catch them. I'd have rather have him catch it off-screen and show Ash later, since it would feel less forced.

Last edited:
I don't pity thieves. And I continue to maintain that a Pokemon that doesn't want to get caught won't get caught if it hasn't even been attacked.

I hope that Go doesn't catch any more regional rodents/birds/bugs.

I don't think Gou catching that Skwovet detracted from the focus on Ash at all. If anything, it served to emphasize how zoned out Ash was due to being awestruck by the events that happened yesterday. I'm still a bit annoyed by how easily Gou is catching Pokemon without having to battle them, but considering that it was basically Galar's weak early-game rodent, I'll let it slide. Plus, at the very least, Gou won't be ending his second visit to Galar empty-handed. Just because the past two episodes were more focused on Ash, that doesn't mean Gou can't make a little bit of progress towards his own goal.

Oh, I don't have anything against Gou progressing his own goal. I just don't think it was really necessary for him to make a capture in this specific episode. I'm probably just getting worn out by the easy catching, to be totally honest. It didn't add anything to the episode, which was otherwise pretty action packed. If the way he'd caught Skwovet had been different, then maybe. But I feel like in a couple of episodes I'll forget he even caught it.

I think the writers were doing a good enough job emphasizing just how out of it Ash was when he was wasn't really responding to Gou speaking to him (and Gou getting exasperated by it, which was in character for him) and the capture was just kind of a random thing thrown in to be like "oh yeah, Gou hasn't caught anything in the past episode and a half."

On the other hand, I think they set up Team Rocket's capture of Chewtle very nicely, and it was a much more memorable moment. It's totally cool for other characters to do things in episodes focused on the others; I just wish Gou's captures were made a little more thoughtful.

what the song playing in the battle with ash vs leon was it gym battle if so was different then game is it on youtube

I don't think Gou catching that Skwovet detracted from the focus on Ash at all. If anything, it served to emphasize how zoned out Ash was due to being awestruck by the events that happened yesterday. I'm still a bit annoyed by how easily Gou is catching Pokemon without having to battle them, but considering that it was basically Galar's weak early-game rodent, I'll let it slide. Plus, at the very least, Gou won't be ending his second visit to Galar empty-handed. Just because the past two episodes were more focused on Ash, that doesn't mean Gou can't make a little bit of progress towards his own goal.

IMO the problem is that effortless captures like this don't seem like progress towards a goal. They need to make his captures tougher so that he can build up the skill needed to eventually catch Mew.

I suppose Ash could face and defeat Leon in the semifinals and then lose to the gen 9 champion in the finals at the end of the series.

I thought of this too, it depends on how placement in the tournament works. Does the champion title carry over to the next season or do you have to work your way up again (not that it would be hard for Leon)? If it's the latter then Ash could beat Leon but not the Gen 9 champ.

Oh, I don't have anything against Gou progressing his own goal. I just don't think it was really necessary for him to make a capture in this specific episode. I'm probably just getting worn out by the easy catching, to be totally honest. It didn't add anything to the episode, which was otherwise pretty action packed. If the way he'd caught Skwovet had been different, then maybe. But I feel like in a couple of episodes I'll forget he even caught it.

I think the writers were doing a good enough job emphasizing just how out of it Ash was when he was wasn't really responding to Gou speaking to him (and Gou getting exasperated by it, which was in character for him) and the capture was just kind of a random thing thrown in to be like "oh yeah, Gou hasn't caught anything in the past episode and a half."

On the other hand, I think they set up Team Rocket's capture of Chewtle very nicely, and it was a much more memorable moment. It's totally cool for other characters to do things in episodes focused on the others; I just wish Gou's captures were made a little more thoughtful.
Fair enough. Gou catching the Skwovet didn't negatively affect my personal enjoyment of the episode since it didn't detract from the main focus, but I do understand that it was kinda unnecessary and pointless considering how nonchalantly Gou caught it.
IMO the problem is that effortless captures like this don't seem like progress towards a goal. They need to make his captures tougher so that he can build up the skill needed to eventually catch Mew.
I was referring to Gou's secondary goal of completing the Pokedex, but yeah, in terms of his catching methods, he's barely made any improvements at all beyond chucking as many Pokeballs as he can towards the Pokemon and praying for the best. Considering how Mew was flexing its abilities in the first episode, I sincerely hope that Mew's eventual capture actually poses a decent challenge instead of simply being another battle-less capture.

Fair enough. Gou catching the Skwovet didn't negatively affect my personal enjoyment of the episode since it didn't detract from the main focus, but I do understand that it was kinda unnecessary and pointless considering how nonchalantly Gou caught it.

Oh yeah, it definitely didn't negatively impact the episode for me! It was still probably my favorite one thus far. That was just something that stood out to me while I was watching and threw me for a bit of a loop is all. I fully acknowledge much worse things could've happened that would've actually negatively impacted the episode!

Oh noes I don't have the time to read the whole thread as I usually do but I just gotta say a concrete goal like this looks promising for Ash. The one thing that has me worried is that participating in such a huge tournament means they'll have to include old characters and that's gonna be a problem if they aren't willing to have more continuity references. It also means we'll have to ignore the whole "Champion League" he said during Sinnoh I guess?

Anyways the battle was a little bit underwhelming, I really hoped a reason for it was given on-screen since Pikachu was clearly having trouble grasping his Dynamax form. And while Ash has never been one to question stuff I wished someone explained why Pikachu dynamaxed in the first place. Also for such a huge tournament they were helding, the stadium's security was laughable. A couple of police extras or shots of people evacuating or whatever would've done the job.

And I continue to maintain that a Pokemon that doesn't want to get caught won't get caught if it hasn't even been attacked.
How about Ash's Litten from Sun and Moon, who wanted to be caught but Ash still had to fight him regardless?

I mean, it is a reasonable assumption to make, don't get me wrong, but Gou happens to run into just too many Pokemon with that individuall character trait, doesn't he? Kind of breaks my suspension of disbelief. Maybe the culprit isn't their personallity... Maybe it's the plot?

I am aware that one dimensionall Pokemon existed before, but aside from the infamous Tauros, it has never happened before on such a large scale and so often.
But now when it happens, it's exactly when one of the main characters is supposed to catch them all. And one dimensionall Pokemon that want to be caught just walk straight into him or vice versa. How lucky! Ahahaha... Ahahhaha... :ROFLMAO:

Why work for anything?

I don't pity thieves. And I continue to maintain that a Pokemon that doesn't want to get caught won't get caught if it hasn't even been attacked.

Butterfree didn't want to get caught, since it fled. But then there was Scorbunny, who kicked the Pokeball towards Butterfree and surprised it, resulting in its capture. So your argument kinda has been debunked already.

Butterfree didn't want to get caught, since it fled. But then there was Scorbunny, who kicked the Pokeball towards Butterfree and surprised it, resulting in its capture. So your argument kinda has been debunked already.
Putting aside the fact that Butterfree seemed to be fly towards Go rather than away, the idea that a Pokemon has to be stationary to express approval of being caught is silly. I fail to see how lying on the ground after being defeated is any better.

I suggest you play the BW games, which underlined the fact that a Pokemon doesn't stay with a trainer it doesn't respect.

To add on, this argument a,sl doesn’t explain catch-rate modifying Pokeballs at all: if catching was simply a result of "Pokémon wants to get captured, Yes/No?" Then stuff like Master, Ultra, Great or the Apricorn balls would be for nothing but aesthetic purposes.

And unless Go's slathered in Pokemon drugs, how does one explain that almost every Pokemon Go runs into is just waiting to be under its ownership, even when it isn’t even aware of Go's presence or intentions for capture yet (Tailow and Skwovet didn’t even get the chance to process that someone wanted to catch them).

So...anyone else wonder if Dynamax and Ash even fit together? It seems to limit speed to a point that it feels off for Ash's preferred battle style.

..Then again I will admit to not liking Dynamax all that much so it might just be projection

So...anyone else wonder if Dynamax and Ash even fit together? It seems to limit speed to a point that it feels off for Ash's preferred battle style.

..Then again I will admit to not liking Dynamax all that much so it might just be projection
I think we need to see him with another Dynamax Pokemon to conclude that. G-Max Pikachu has a more limited speed and mobility than any other Dynamaxed Pokémon so far (probably bar Snorlax) due to its crippling obesity. Charizard seemed a bit more well adjusted by comparison.

Pikachu's Gigantamax felt specially unwieldy and wonky, considering Ash's battle style. I hope it’s not the only Pokémon he uses Dynamax with.

It seemed to me he's doing bigger things than that.
I thought they were used sparingly and wisely in this episode, with them even getting a new Pokémon.

I still hope we'll get to see the Galar leaders at some point. As for TR, I found them unnecessary as usual. But I always skip their parts so I guess it doesn't really matter.

For what exactly.

For being annoying, as always. But I always just skip their parts, so it isn't too big of a deal.

Moves are just like techniques to pokemon, they have to figure out how to properly execute them. In other words Pikachu was using Max Strike wrong, thinking it still had Quick Attack

Based on how Max Moves are described, the regular moves are supposed to completely transform into the new ones. So it came across as odd to me when it didn't change. I know the anime makes its own rules sometimes, but still.

Technically you don't "earn" the dynamax band In the game. Wishing stars literally fall from nowhere, you give them to Magnolia, and she gives them to you. They're not like z-rings or mega rings when you earn them, anyone can get one really if they want to battle in the league or were lucky enough to get one.

Perhaps I was thinking of Leon's endorsement, which I know for a fact I had to earn. It's been a while since I played SwSh.

To be fair, Ash is new to this dynamax battle thing. He doesn't know how all this stuff works or fully control all this yet. Not like it happened just cause. Ash just triggered it without knowing he did.

This I disagree on. I came across to me that the Gigantamax just happened on its own with no trigger from Ash.

Actually the anime states the rules are kinda similar to Battle Stadium in the games. You earn points and climb up the pokeball ranks in order to compete in the world championships and battle Leon. In other words the gym challenge isn't necessary.

Well that sucks, but I hope Ash ends up battling the Galar leaders anyway.

I still hope we'll get to see the Galar leaders at some point. As for TR, I found them unnecessary as usual. But I always skip their parts so I guess it doesn't really matter.
You're missing important stuff by doing so.
For being annoying, as always. But I always just skip their parts, so it isn't too big of a deal.
Nothing is absolute, you know. If you don't watch them, you won't get to see their good parts either. Because those definitely exist too.
Based on how Max Moves are described, the regular moves are supposed to completely transform into the new ones. So it came across as odd to me when it didn't change. I know the anime makes its own rules sometimes, but still.
He was probably just channeling Normal-type move energy in a wrong way that didn't result in him using Max Strike successfully or something.
This I disagree on. I came across to me that the Gigantamax just happened on its own with no trigger from Ash.
The first one, yes. The second one I'd say was half-intentional.

You're missing important stuff by doing so.

Nothing is absolute, you know. If you don't watch them, you won't get to see their good parts either. Because those definitely exist too.

I'll just say I politely disagree on those points.

The first one, yes. The second one I'd say was half-intentional.

I don't know, nothing about that scene came across to me that Ash had anything to do with what happened. Maybe I'll re-watch it and see.

Did anyone notice that even though Leon seemed the recall his Charizard after the battle, it's still seen standing behind him when he goes to give Ash and Oran Berry? Did he just shrink it back down, or is this an error?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom