• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN015: Snow Day, Where is Karakara's Bone?

Reminder that LGPE and SwSh have a portable box that allows the player to switch out between Pokemon with ease, so Go not being able to send out Cubone would have felt quite out of place to the target audience. All that matters is being restricted to 6 Pokemon in battle, which is a rule that the anime will never break if only for practical reasons.

Agreed. But I still think they could have showed it. It would have taken a couple of seconds.

I also wonder box the portable box would work with the Pokémon back at the lab. It would have been nice to show for example the rottom phone has an instant teleportation/switch function.

But I guess we're going by the rule you can carry as many Pokémon you want, but you can only use a maximum of 6 in each battle. (I wonder what would happen if you already have used 6 pokémon against a wild one and you command a walking Pokémon as number 7 to continue the battle. Best to stop applying game logic to the anime I guess, but in theory you can now use more then Pokémon unless a piece of technology like the rottom phone or the Pokéballs are forbidding it. In official battles they can still make you register your pokémon, so that's easy.)

It was really fun seeing Pokemon have a snowball fight, the sort of thing I'd like to do in the snow

It was certainly good to see Go utilizing his team properly for once though why he took those with him I don't know as I don't think he was expecting to need them
I think he wanted to show them off to his family.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that they got Shin'ichiro Miki to play that Onidrill/Fearrow, because it was doing the same Kojiro's-Scream-Voice that Akuziking/Guzzlord had. Even Strike's cry was similar. I know his Pokemon have always had a small element of Just-Kojiro-Shouting but my God the guy is really phoning it in these days. Has he just given up the fight? (Don't mistake me - I don't mind this at all.)

Good to see a nice, slice-of-life episode which did little other than exposing Go's family life. On balance, I'm glad there isn't a huge sob story there. Not seeing much of your busy, working parents is a pretty relatable concept. The granny looks reassuringly far from her eventual demise as well, phew. I loved that she won a karaoke competition and I love that that segued into Satoshi doing karaoke with a spoon. He looked so little and silly through the blinds <3

Karakara was VERRRRY cute, and so were those idiotic Mankey. Cute Pokemon exposition is the reason I keep coming back to this show.

Was a name ever given to the location where Go's family live and work?
I think they said Kuchiba City (Vermillion) at one point, but it's possible I dreamed it.

- Cubone was the 7th slot capture yet it's Pokeball didn't lock out. Did they forget about it or is the carry limit non-existent now? Inconsistency.
Go caught 12 pokemon in episode 6 and none of the balls vanished/locked, so why is it surprising here?

The animation here was absolutely fabulous; the winter setting looked even better than in the Piplup episode imo. I loved seeing Dewgong and the other Pokemon help out and the Mankeys annoyed me, but at the same time I felt a pang of nostalgia for Ash's old Primeape.

And of course people will find something to grill Go on; he spent a good part of the episode utilizing his Pokemon to help find Cubone's missing bone, so since people can't fault him for doing things with his reserves, they gotta find something new to complain about like how his 7th Pokeball didn't lock up. :rolleyes:

And of course people will find something to grill Go on; he spent a good part of the episode utilizing his Pokemon to help find Cubone's missing bone, so since people can't fault him for doing things with his reserves, they gotta find something new to complain about like how his 7th Pokeball didn't lock up. :rolleyes:
You know what, stop. Please stop.

I'm going to repeat the words of a wise YouTuber, E;R: 'Even if you are against hatred, you are still against an 'other', who is not like you. It is an inherently combatitive statement, one that requires an enemy for it to work, a proposition of opposition.'

By that logic, what you are doing here is still being hatefull; you're nitpicking a minor issue and ascribe it to fanbase being evill. By saying things like this, you are actually placing a target on somebody's back and set him up for potshot, doing the exact same thing you accuse the people who dislike Gou of doing. On top of that, you are activelly looking for reasons to shit on that other part of the fandom, which, again, is what you accused your opposition of doing.

And in doing that, you are not being helpfull to anybody, and much less to yourself. This kind of attitude is unhealthy, and it wore you down once already. Calm down.

There are a few trollish people on this website who attack Gou for the funsies, I will admitt that. But, uhhh...
This is the type of characterization that Gou (and his Pokemon to a less extent given how many he has now) needed, something that was hinted at in the first three episodes but never touched again in favor of his boring collecting goal. Cubone was a very deserved capture, his first since Scorbunny which felt like ages ago.
Not a bad episode by any means although I must confess I found it a bit tedious myself, mainly because I just can't force myself to be interested in Gou. To his credit however he caught the Cubone by befriending it instead of abusing RNG and there was no catch bonus, so I'll take that, and we did see him battle the Sandile last week before catching it.
Isn't what you just witnessed here alleged Gou haters saying something positive about him? And one of them doing that in spite of admitting that he still is disinterested in him?

Yet, you still found a reason to discretit them. You still found a reason to act like there's something wrong with these people. That is the very definition of trollish hatred.

Last edited:
I'm not a Go hater. But I admit I'm ticked of because of the 7 pokémon case.

But I did notice Dewgong is completely gone after he returned the bone to Cubone. He's not introduced to Go's parents, I don't see him when we're zooming out after Ash tot invited to eat some stew at Go's home.

If they only showed Go boxing Dewdong with the easy box function from Pokémon Go, LGP&E and SwSh. It would have cleared out the problem some of us now are having. Is there a scene which was cut? Did the animators forgot about Dewdong? Is it swimming under water when we zoom out?

In my headcanon Dewdong was boxed after he recovered the bone and before Go's parents showed up, with a single tab on the Rotom smartphone. ;) And he also unboxed him before this to retrieve the bone.

Reminder that LGPE and SwSh have a portable box that allows the player to rotate Pokemon with ease, so Go not being able to send out Cubone would have felt quite out of place to the target audience. All that matters is being restricted to 6 Pokemon in battle, which is a rule that the anime will never break if only for practical reasons.
Not necessarily as, while there is a portable connection to the Pokémon boxes, the box system does still exist in both as well as having a max of 6 Pokémon on hand at any given time. Now if they even took a minute to explain that the Rotom Phone has a direct connection to Sakuragi Park/Oak’s Lab to allow Gou and Ash to swap Pokémon on the fly, that’d be fine and explain what’s been something of a plot hole. But I don’t expect anything so simple from these writers.

I haven't watched the episode just yet, but I wanted to jump in here because I don't see anyone blaming Gou for this. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to question, since that has always been the norm in the anime when someone catches a 7th Pokemon. It honestly is really lazy of the writers (not Gou!) to just ignore an aspect of Pokemon catching that has been cannon for 20+ years and not give any reason as to why it's suddenly changed.

Also, it's perfectly fair to criticize parts of Gou's character that people either don't like or the writers are doing a poor job with. I'm not condoning it to the extent of character bashing, which I do see from time-to-time and don't like, but it's lame to see see perfectly fair criticism being labeled as such.

Why is the 7th PokeBall thing a big deal? You can't even use the same argument about Ash's 7th PokeBall locking itself because the last time we saw that was in Black and White I think, and this series does things differently so it's not even a fair comparison.

Why is the 7th PokeBall thing a big deal? You can't even use the same argument about Ash's 7th PokeBall locking itself because the last time we saw that was in Black and White I think, and this series does things differently so it's not even a fair comparison.
Last I recall, BW is part of the same continuity as the current series, and the 6-Pokemon active party has been a rule since the very first game, so I don't see what's an "unfair comparison" about it. It does become an issue when established facts get contradicted... although it happening in this episode is just a passing issue, if it continues to happen then something's seriously wrong with the writers. And I don't necessarily mean with Gou's 7th captures alone, it applies to any trainer including Ash.

As for the box system, they could have had shown something as simple as a 5 second scene of Dewgong being swapped out.

Last edited:
Last I recall, BW is part of the same continuity as the current series, and the 6-Pokemon active party has been a rule since the very first game, so I don't see what's an "unfair comparison" about it. It does become an issue when established facts get contradicted... although it happening in this episode is just a passing issue, if it continues to happen then something's seriously wrong with the writers. And I don't necessarily mean with Gou's 7th captures alone, it applies to any trainer including Ash.

As for the box system, they could have had shown something as simple as a 5 second scene of Dewgong being swapped out.

That same continuity argument doesn't work. If you go by that logic then Ash's 7th PokeBall in Kanto should have also gotten locked when he caught Krabby but it didn't, instead it just got sent to Prof. Oak even though the Kanto series happened in the same continuity as the Black and White series.

So since there were differences between what happens to extra PokeBalls in those two series, why is it so hard to admit that things could've changed here too?

That same continuity argument doesn't work. If you go by that logic then Ash's 7th PokeBall in Kanto should have also gotten locked when he caught Krabby but it didn't, instead it just got sent to Prof. Oak even though the Kanto series happened in the same continuity as the Black and White series.

So since there were differences between what happens to extra PokeBalls in those two series, why is it so hard to admit that things could've changed here too?

Locking up or being sent to a specific location is the same thing, since the trainer cannot use the 7th Pokemon until another one gets swapped out.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom